Which RF 70-200mm or should I stay with the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 5,262
Which RF 70-200mm or should I stay with the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS

So when I bought back into Canon with and EOS R I did not run out and buy all the big and expensive RF zooms I owned when I first shot Canon. I had moved over to Sony where I do have all those lenses but since I wasn't sure about the EOS R I hesitated.

I know have the R5 on order but don't have it in hand yet since I waited till October to decide to get it. I was not in a rush since I had plenty of gear to work with and wanted to see and read the reviews on the R5.

So now that I am buying back in I trying to decide between the two RF 70-200. In EF mount I owned the f/4L version first but did upgrade to the f/2.8L when I had the chance so I know the pluses and minuses of smaller f/4L vs the faster f/2.8L. The reason I am hesitating is when shooting with the EOS R I took the opportunity to buy a lightly use EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS. When you compare its adapted size and weight the extra weight gets you 100mm more reach which for travel is really attractive. The weight difference to the new 70-200 f/2.8L is the adapter only. It is also the height of the adapter taller. Here is a size comparison curtesy of camerasize.com

Adapted EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS vs. RF 70-200/4L IS and RF 70-200/2.8L IS

Edit: Also have the control ring based adapter so I get that functionality already with the EF lens.

So I am wondering if its worth spending 2x or 3.5x more money for either of the RF lenses. In the past I would rush out and spend the money for the latest and greatest but I guess I am getting more conservative in my old age especially since I am not getting to travel as much right now to take advantage of my kit. Also I know the RF 70-200 f/4L won't take the 1.4X teleconverter which I might have considered if I went down that path

So what do you think? Any opinions

https://j.mp/2IV7Kn7

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

 Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Sony a9 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +35 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
bananafarm New Member • Posts: 4
Re: Which RF 70-200mm or should I stay with the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS

I'm in a similar situation. I have the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II and EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS, and recently got the R5 but only have the RF 15-35 f/2.8L IS at the moment.

What do you shoot?

I shoot a couple things:

  • Landscape: I mostly use a 16-35, 24-70, and 70-300 for this setup. The 70-300 is more compact and lighter than the 70-200 f/2.8, and I don't need f/2.8 for landscapes.
  • Travel: I travel light and use a 16-35 and 24-70 when travelling.
  • Portraits: I got the 70-200 f/2.8 for portraits. But I discovered that I don't like portrait photography and rarely do it as a result. I also find 100+mm too long for my taste.

For RF, I really want an RF equivalent to the 70-300 for compactness. But it doesn't exist, so I've decided to just keep the EF 70-300 for now while I build up the RF lenses and wait for the RF 70-300. If they never release one, I may pick up the RF 70-200 f/4.

 bananafarm's gear list:bananafarm's gear list
Leica Q2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS RP +10 more
danferrin Regular Member • Posts: 408
Re: Which RF 70-200mm or should I stay with the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS

I have no experience eith the two RF lenses, but I did own the 70-300L for a couple of years.  It was a great lens until I dropped it about six feet onto concrete.

-- hide signature --

My life is a circle of confusion - photography is my meditation.

 danferrin's gear list:danferrin's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS RP Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 20-35mm F3.5-4.5 USM +16 more
Karl_Guttag Regular Member • Posts: 370
If we are spending YOUR money . . .

Steve W wrote:

So I am wondering if its worth spending 2x or 3.5x more money for either of the RF lenses. In the past I would rush out and spend the money for the latest and greatest but I guess I am getting more conservative in my old age especially since I am not getting to travel as much right now to take advantage of my kit. Also I know the RF 70-200 f/4L won't take the 1.4X teleconverter which I might have considered if I went down that path

So what do you think? Any opinions

https://j.mp/2IV7Kn7

If we are spending YOUR money, then I say get the very best.

Realistically, it is only a decision you can make. It depends on how much you will use the lens and what you can afford to pay. At the same time, make sure you are happy with any compromises you make.

Personally, I was debating between the RF 15-35 f2.8 and waiting on a rumored RF 14-35 F4L. I just ordered the f2.8L (back-ordered).

 Karl_Guttag's gear list:Karl_Guttag's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS RP Olympus E-M5 III Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +15 more
Patlezinc Regular Member • Posts: 409
Re: Which RF 70-200mm or should I stay with the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS

Just got my 70-200 RF 2.8. On a R5 it becomes it 2 sec a 300mm for landscape. So sharp that you can crop as you want.

The size/weight is such a game changer. It costs but 2.8 is always useful. I would go for this one.

-- hide signature --
 Patlezinc's gear list:Patlezinc's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 85mm F1.2L USM
SJK065 Regular Member • Posts: 106
Re: Which RF 70-200mm or should I stay with the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS

I have the RF 70-200 2.8.  Amazing lens but in hindsight, I should have held out for the 100-500 instead. The 70-200 allows for amazing photos but there are (too) many times I wish I had extra reach.  Looking at the photos shot on this forum utilizing the RF 100-500 even makes me more lens envy.  May end up selling the 70-200.  SO if you think you are shooting more of the long end consider the latter.

 SJK065's gear list:SJK065's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EOS R Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM +13 more
Patlezinc Regular Member • Posts: 409
Re: Which RF 70-200mm or should I stay with the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS

What you will do with your lense is obviously the first criteria. They are completely different.

-- hide signature --
 Patlezinc's gear list:Patlezinc's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 85mm F1.2L USM
diness Veteran Member • Posts: 3,726
Re: Which RF 70-200mm or should I stay with the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS

Steve W wrote:

So when I bought back into Canon with and EOS R I did not run out and buy all the big and expensive RF zooms I owned when I first shot Canon. I had moved over to Sony where I do have all those lenses but since I wasn't sure about the EOS R I hesitated.

I know have the R5 on order but don't have it in hand yet since I waited till October to decide to get it. I was not in a rush since I had plenty of gear to work with and wanted to see and read the reviews on the R5.

So now that I am buying back in I trying to decide between the two RF 70-200. In EF mount I owned the f/4L version first but did upgrade to the f/2.8L when I had the chance so I know the pluses and minuses of smaller f/4L vs the faster f/2.8L. The reason I am hesitating is when shooting with the EOS R I took the opportunity to buy a lightly use EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS. When you compare its adapted size and weight the extra weight gets you 100mm more reach which for travel is really attractive. The weight difference to the new 70-200 f/2.8L is the adapter only. It is also the height of the adapter taller. Here is a size comparison curtesy of camerasize.com

Adapted EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS vs. RF 70-200/4L IS and RF 70-200/2.8L IS

Edit: Also have the control ring based adapter so I get that functionality already with the EF lens.

So I am wondering if its worth spending 2x or 3.5x more money for either of the RF lenses. In the past I would rush out and spend the money for the latest and greatest but I guess I am getting more conservative in my old age especially since I am not getting to travel as much right now to take advantage of my kit. Also I know the RF 70-200 f/4L won't take the 1.4X teleconverter which I might have considered if I went down that path

So what do you think? Any opinions

https://j.mp/2IV7Kn7

Honestly, I think it depends on if you need the range or not.  The 70-300L is a good lens, and sharpness/colors etc are not going to be a dramatic difference between any of these lenses.  If you need the range, the 70-300 is the only one that can get you it, because neither of the 70-200 lenses take teleconverters.

If you don't need the range, then it gets more challenging.  Do you want F2.8 and native lens?  Do you want f4 constant aperture and the smallest lens?  Or do you want the largest range and cheapest, but also the largest and non-native?  Tough choice.

 diness's gear list:diness's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
OP Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 5,262
Re: Which RF 70-200mm or should I stay with the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS

So I agree it all depends on use. For weddings or indoor sports the f/2.8L is the winner. For travel I prefer the reach of the 70-300 for sure. The very small and light 70-200 f/4 I would pick more for walking around and maybe backpacking with its light weight.

I guess the fact that neither of the RF take a teleconverter surprised me. I'm sure someday there maybe a RF version but not next year it seems I think.

So for now I will stay with the adapted EF version 70-300 and see how well it works on the R5 when it shows up. Once I can evaluate it on a fast focusing body I will see if it makes sense to move to an RF of some kind.  Originally used it on the EOS R which I used for travel since it did not have sufficient frame rate  for events or sports. The R5 will change that so I might want to move up the f/2.8L

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

 Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Sony a9 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +35 more
davel33 Senior Member • Posts: 2,161
Re: Which RF 70-200mm or should I stay with the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS

I use the 70-300 L on my R a lot and it does rather well with the Kenko Teleplus HDpro 1.4X Have my eye on an R6 and rf 70-200 f4 this spring In negotiations now with my CFO**.

-- hide signature --

"Just one more Lens, I promise....."
Dave

** CFO meaning wife

 davel33's gear list:davel33's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +26 more
davel33 Senior Member • Posts: 2,161
Re: Which RF 70-200mm or should I stay with the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS

I dont think that 2.8 is a requirement near as much as it was, the R5 has better low light performance than the R and I dont use flash near as much as I did with my older bodies.

I would not make that decision till you get your R5

-- hide signature --

"Just one more Lens, I promise....."
Dave

 davel33's gear list:davel33's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +26 more
OP Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 5,262
Re: Which RF 70-200mm or should I stay with the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS

davel33 wrote:

I dont think that 2.8 is a requirement near as much as it was, the R5 has better low light performance than the R and I dont use flash near as much as I did with my older bodies.

I would not make that decision till you get your R5

Well believe it or not I got my R5 today.  Surprised it didn't take until December. Haven't had a chance today to put the 70-300 on it just yet. Hopefully some time this weekend. Wanted to test the eye AF on it so I put on the EF 85/1.4L IS instead. Another great EF lens that I decided to get that adapted very well on my EOS R and with an MC-11 onto my Sony bodies. I can already tell things are going to focus real quickly on the the new body.

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

 Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Sony a9 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +35 more
johncal Regular Member • Posts: 422
Re: Which RF 70-200mm or should I stay with the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS

Steve W wrote:

davel33 wrote:

I dont think that 2.8 is a requirement near as much as it was, the R5 has better low light performance than the R and I dont use flash near as much as I did with my older bodies.

I would not make that decision till you get your R5

Well believe it or not I got my R5 today. Surprised it didn't take until December. Haven't had a chance today to put the 70-300 on it just yet. Hopefully some time this weekend. Wanted to test the eye AF on it so I put on the EF 85/1.4L IS instead. Another great EF lens that I decided to get that adapted very well on my EOS R and with an MC-11 onto my Sony bodies. I can already tell things are going to focus real quickly on the the new body.

I would say unless you need the small amount of speed improvement by changing over to the RF lens, I would use the money to get another lens that might prove to be more valuable in focal length or features. Other than the small speed difference , you can make pretty much any good lens look like any other good lens in software nowadays. Don't abandon your old friend that's served you well! Get him a new friend.

 johncal's gear list:johncal's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS R Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Tamron 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD +6 more
OP Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 5,262
Re: Which RF 70-200mm or should I stay with the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS

johncal wrote:

Steve W wrote:

davel33 wrote:

I dont think that 2.8 is a requirement near as much as it was, the R5 has better low light performance than the R and I dont use flash near as much as I did with my older bodies.

I would not make that decision till you get your R5

Well believe it or not I got my R5 today. Surprised it didn't take until December. Haven't had a chance today to put the 70-300 on it just yet. Hopefully some time this weekend. Wanted to test the eye AF on it so I put on the EF 85/1.4L IS instead. Another great EF lens that I decided to get that adapted very well on my EOS R and with an MC-11 onto my Sony bodies. I can already tell things are going to focus real quickly on the the new body.

I would say unless you need the small amount of speed improvement by changing over to the RF lens, I would use the money to get another lens that might prove to be more valuable in focal length or features. Other than the small speed difference , you can make pretty much any good lens look like any other good lens in software nowadays. Don't abandon your old friend that's served you well! Get him a new friend.

Always good advice. I know I already own too many lenses across three systems to use them all. With the R5 now in hand I will have to make a serious effort to decide what I keep and what I divest myself off. Need to figure out which Sony glass to sell to rebuild my Canon kit. There is so much glass available for all the systems that I really need to sit down and make a list of what I really will use and on what system.

For me for instance I know that an 85mm is my most use prime because I take a lot of portrait shots. After that its a 24-70/2.8 or a 24-105/4. In the past I would own both because one I used for travel and one for event work. Two really different applications IMHO.

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

 Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Sony a9 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +35 more
R5D4
R5D4 Contributing Member • Posts: 838
Re: Which RF 70-200mm or should I stay with the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS

I would definitely get the RF 70-200 f4. I say this as an owner of the RF 70-200 f2.8 and previous owner of the EF 70-200 2.8.

First, adapted white zooms are extremely unwieldy on this system. The upgrade from EF to RF was a world of difference, and was worth every penny. The RF 2.8 is so nice and compact it can go with me everywhere.

The RF f4 is even better for this. If you don’t need an extra stop, the allure of having a compact 70-200 that matches a 24-105 for size and weight is simply stunning. It will make all the difference between leaving gear behind or not. Also, imagine every lens basically fitting in the same sized slots in your camera bag. There would be no difference between length when packing your gear away and no need to remove a lens, etc.

Steve W wrote:

So when I bought back into Canon with and EOS R I did not run out and buy all the big and expensive RF zooms I owned when I first shot Canon. I had moved over to Sony where I do have all those lenses but since I wasn't sure about the EOS R I hesitated.

I know have the R5 on order but don't have it in hand yet since I waited till October to decide to get it. I was not in a rush since I had plenty of gear to work with and wanted to see and read the reviews on the R5.

So now that I am buying back in I trying to decide between the two RF 70-200. In EF mount I owned the f/4L version first but did upgrade to the f/2.8L when I had the chance so I know the pluses and minuses of smaller f/4L vs the faster f/2.8L. The reason I am hesitating is when shooting with the EOS R I took the opportunity to buy a lightly use EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS. When you compare its adapted size and weight the extra weight gets you 100mm more reach which for travel is really attractive. The weight difference to the new 70-200 f/2.8L is the adapter only. It is also the height of the adapter taller. Here is a size comparison curtesy of camerasize.com

Adapted EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS vs. RF 70-200/4L IS and RF 70-200/2.8L IS

Edit: Also have the control ring based adapter so I get that functionality already with the EF lens.

So I am wondering if its worth spending 2x or 3.5x more money for either of the RF lenses. In the past I would rush out and spend the money for the latest and greatest but I guess I am getting more conservative in my old age especially since I am not getting to travel as much right now to take advantage of my kit. Also I know the RF 70-200 f/4L won't take the 1.4X teleconverter which I might have considered if I went down that path

So what do you think? Any opinions

https://j.mp/2IV7Kn7

 R5D4's gear list:R5D4's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS R Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +5 more
Rahto Senior Member • Posts: 1,160
Re: Which RF 70-200mm or should I stay with the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS

Congrats on the new camera, I have had mine for about 2 months with about 6K shots on it. I would update the firmware and start using it and see if it has any impact on your future lens wants and needs. I went with the RF-24-240mm for a native walk around until I figure what EF stuff I want to upgrade. By the way I think the 24-240mm is on sale now on Canons site.

Bob

 Rahto's gear list:Rahto's gear list
Canon EOS D60 Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +58 more
OP Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 5,262
Re: Which RF 70-200mm or should I stay with the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS

Rahto wrote:

Congrats on the new camera, I have had mine for about 2 months with about 6K shots on it. I would update the firmware and start using it and see if it has any impact on your future lens wants and needs. I went with the RF-24-240mm for a native walk around until I figure what EF stuff I want to upgrade. By the way I think the 24-240mm is on sale now on Canons site.

Bob

Bob,

Thanks. One day down. Been working on setting it up. Was a long time Canon with my last two bodies the 5D Mark IV and EOS R but there are quite a few differences. Nice to have back the ability th 5D IV had of configuring other features like shooting mode and AF approach on the AF-ON or other buttons configured for back button focus. The EOS R did not have this and it was missed. The Sony has that on steroids and I love having two back buttons setup for focusing totally differently

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

 Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Sony a9 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +35 more
Rahto Senior Member • Posts: 1,160
Re: Which RF 70-200mm or should I stay with the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS

The learning curve is a little tougher for me because the R5 is my first mirrorless after15 DSLRs since the D-60 in 2002. I kept my 5DIV and 7DII in case the mirrorless didn’t work out but the R5 has exceeded my expectations so I will probably sell off the 5DIV but keep the 7DII. I don’t have any Sony gear, but I do have both full frame a crop Pentax systems that I usually take out with my canon gear on a shoot. It’s the dead season here and with Covid having most stuff shut down there is not much to go shoot.

Bob

 Rahto's gear list:Rahto's gear list
Canon EOS D60 Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +58 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads