Nik Collection 3.3

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Robert A Senior Member • Posts: 2,070
Nik Collection 3.3

Anyone have thoughts on the recent Nik update?  I haven't updated from the original Nik-owned version because DxO doesn't offer update pricing to those who didn't buy from them.   However, I'm thinking of buying this update and wondered if the changes are worth the cost.

-- hide signature --

Robert A
Fuji XT-2
Fuji X-E2
Epson 3880

Robert A's gear list:Robert A's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2
String
String Senior Member • Posts: 2,196
Re: Nik Collection 3.3

Robert A wrote:

Anyone have thoughts on the recent Nik update? I haven't updated from the original Nik-owned version because DxO doesn't offer update pricing to those who didn't buy from them. However, I'm thinking of buying this update and wondered if the changes are worth the cost.

Well 3.3 just adds some additional presets (recipes) and nothing else from what I have seen. 3.0 adds an additional filter (perspective correction) and some stability fixes for the latest LR/PS.

I really hate DxO's upgrade policies; I'm really not seeing anything being done to really upgrade the product its self. With that being said, I do use the Nik plugins all the time however after the way I've experienced the "upgrade" policy, I will never (ever) buy or use DxO's Photolab.

String's gear list:String's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +4 more
OP Robert A Senior Member • Posts: 2,070

Haven't more film types been added to either Color Efx or Silver Efx?

-- hide signature --

Robert A
Fuji XT-2
Fuji X-E2
Epson 3880

Fujifilm X-E2
Digital Nigel Forum Pro • Posts: 13,175

String wrote:

Robert A wrote:

Anyone have thoughts on the recent Nik update? I haven't updated from the original Nik-owned version because DxO doesn't offer update pricing to those who didn't buy from them. However, I'm thinking of buying this update and wondered if the changes are worth the cost.

Well 3.3 just adds some additional presets (recipes) and nothing else from what I have seen. 3.0 adds an additional filter (perspective correction) and some stability fixes for the latest LR/PS.

I really hate DxO's upgrade policies; I'm really not seeing anything being done to really upgrade the product its self. With that being said, I do use the Nik plugins all the time however after the way I've experienced the "upgrade" policy, I will never (ever) buy or use DxO's Photolab.

Unlike NIK, PhotoLab is a real DxO product and gets worthwhile annual upgrades. There's usually one big headline new feature that adds real functionality, plus a number of useful new features and UI improvements. There's no obligation to upgrade every year; you don't lose out if you skip years.

As a longterm DxO user, I have no interest in NIK.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Panasonic ZS100 Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony RX10 III +19 more
OP Robert A Senior Member • Posts: 2,070

Digital Nigel wrote:

String wrote:

Robert A wrote:

Unlike NIK, PhotoLab is a real DxO product and gets worthwhile annual upgrades. There's usually one big headline new feature that adds real functionality, plus a number of useful new features and UI improvements. There's no obligation to upgrade every year; you don't lose out if you skip years.

If it weren’t for DxO’s decision not to support Fuji, I’d be there.

-- hide signature --

Robert A
Fuji XT-2
Fuji X-E2
Epson 3880

Fujifilm X-E2

Robert A wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

String wrote:

Robert A wrote:

I go so far as not to consider buying any camera or lens not supported by DxO. So I don't even look at Fuji cameras.

Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Panasonic ZS100 Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony RX10 III +19 more
stevie wonder
stevie wonder Senior Member • Posts: 1,176

I opened my Nik software yesterday and got a free upgrade to 3.3.

pdqgp
MOD pdqgp Forum Pro • Posts: 10,700
Same here 25th was free

stevie wonder wrote:

I opened my Nik software yesterday and got a free upgrade to 3.3.

Had the same thing the other day.  wasn't sure what it was, but there's a whole section of the 25th edition filters so evidently I got my update at no charge.

pdqgp's gear list:pdqgp's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Fujifilm FinePix 1300 Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom +18 more
Dick Barbour
Dick Barbour Senior Member • Posts: 1,120

Robert A wrote:

The latest 3.3 was free since I had previously paid for the update to 3.0. The 3.0 version was worthwhile since it incorporates the Viewpoint function and some other things that escape me now. The 3.3 is cosmetic only and contains some weird presets that I can't imagine ever using. However, Nik is still one of my favorite plugins, especially Color Efex, SilverEfex, and Viveza, so I don't mind supporting them occasionally so they don't lose interest. 

Dick

Dick Barbour's gear list:Dick Barbour's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Panasonic Leica DG 50-200mm F2.8-4 +6 more
MattPointZero
MattPointZero Senior Member • Posts: 1,470

Robert A wrote:

Wait til the end of the week - last year I think they halved the price for Black Friday!

MattPointZero's gear list:MattPointZero's gear list
Sigma 35mm F1.2 DG DN Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM

MattPointZero wrote:

Robert A wrote:

Wait til the end of the week - last year I think they halved the price for Black Friday!

Yes, that's what I'm hoping will happen again this year. Last year it lasted from Thursday to Monday, and it applied to both new purchases and upgrades of all products:

https://thesocieties.net/blog/2019/11/28/black-friday-save-up-to-50-on-dxo-software/

MattPointZero

Digital Nigel wrote:

MattPointZero wrote:

Robert A wrote:

Yes, that's what I'm hoping will happen again this year. Last year it lasted from Thursday to Monday, and it applied to both new purchases and upgrades of all products:

https://thesocieties.net/blog/2019/11/28/black-friday-save-up-to-50-on-dxo-software/

Me too - I was using the old google versions but downloaded the DXO trial in preparation for black friday!  

bmoag Senior Member • Posts: 2,744

I stopped using the Nik Plug-ins years ago--I think I even paid Nik when it was Nik.

I don't see anything in them that you can't find elsewhere that is updated regularly.

On1, Topaz and the rest of the usual suspects all have overlapping filters that kind of do interchangeable things.

bmoag's gear list:bmoag's gear list
Nikon Z6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon D3300 Nikon D70
RobBurke Regular Member • Posts: 250

I bought a couple of plugins from Nik. Then I bought the full collection from Google before they made it free. Then I bought the first version of the collection from DxO for goodwill, expecting that they would release fixes. Instead they made it a chargeable upgrade to get the first real update.

DxO haven’t offered nearly enough for the cost of their upgrades in the time they have owned the collection. I’m done paying again for the same software, even though I still like Silver Efex.

MattPointZero

Robert A wrote:

50% offer now on!

IanYorke Veteran Member • Posts: 4,386

Robert A wrote:

In fairness to DXO it's not that they don't want to support Fuji, they do support Fuji cameras with Bayer sensors. It is because their noise reduction technology is based around processing the Bayer sensor data and it doesn't work with X-Trans.

DXO have always been clear that they would never be able to support X-Trans but recently have posted that advances in processing means that it's gone from impossible to maybe

However, given that Fuji have now partnered with Capture One with a free "Lite" version of C1 commercially it may be a non starter

Ian

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads