For whatever it means, Flickr activity by Fuji camera

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
roberthd12 Contributing Member • Posts: 646
For whatever it means, Flickr activity by Fuji camera

I post this only because it's semi-interesting, at least to me. From this screenshot, it looks like the X-T2 is the most popular of Fuji cameras based on # of Flickr uploads and avg daily users. Don't ask me to interpret any of this very deeply, as it's Sunday morning and my wife is mad at me. Brain cells gone.

-- hide signature --
 roberthd12's gear list:roberthd12's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +12 more
Fujifilm X-T2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tjinsd
tjinsd Regular Member • Posts: 190
Re: For whatever it means, Flickr activity by Fuji camera

Interesting... although I’m curious, the x-t3 has more average daily users according to the table, but isn’t listed in the chart....

tjinsd's gear list:tjinsd's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm 50-230mm Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +2 more
Threaded Veteran Member • Posts: 3,415

It kind of stands to reason that the longer a camera has been around, the more pictures will have been taken with it and posted to Flickr.  At the same time, the declining use of flickr over the years makes it less likely than any of the newer Fuji’s will ever make a dent in the XT2s record.  I closed my Flickr account years ago now so it’s never going to know how much I’ve used Fuji’s other cameras since.

Threaded's gear list:Threaded's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR
Rightsaidfred
Rightsaidfred Contributing Member • Posts: 787
Flickr alternatives?

Threaded wrote:

It kind of stands to reason that the longer a camera has been around, the more pictures will have been taken with it and posted to Flickr. At the same time, the declining use of flickr over the years makes it less likely than any of the newer Fuji’s will ever make a dent in the XT2s record. I closed my Flickr account years ago now so it’s never going to know how much I’ve used Fuji’s other cameras since.

This is off topic now but your comment brought me to it.

@Threaded - May I ask you whether you have a Flickr alternative and if so, what is it and why?

(I am planning to comment on 500px in the right DPRewiew forum.)

BR,

Martin

-- hide signature --
 Rightsaidfred's gear list:Rightsaidfred's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Venus Laowa 15mm F4 Macro +5 more
Foxjet Contributing Member • Posts: 908

tjinsd wrote:

Interesting... although I’m curious, the x-t3 has more average daily users according to the table, but isn’t listed in the chart....

Yep, maybe the OP should have presented a chart that included the X-T3 and X-T4 as well.

Foxjet's gear list:Foxjet's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 +1 more

@Threaded:

I have been a member since 2014 and have seen amazing growth since then. In fact, I don't know of a bigger site of this type. Not considering such nonsense as Instagram by the way. Since Smug Mug bought Flickr and eliminated the Yahoo log in requirement the experience has improved enormously.

Flickr is a hot bed of activity using Fuji equipment. Go to Flickr and enter Fuji in the search box and then click on groups. There is page after page of Fuji groups listed. I'm a member of 6 of these groups.

If not on Flickr...you are missing out. Don't live in the past, I'm not interested in old gripes as they are no longer relevant.

Check out this You Tube video to see the Flickr advantages:

Flickr FAQs

Threaded Veteran Member • Posts: 3,415

Like one or two other people, I am on the “nonsense” that is Instagram. I won’t comment further on Flickr other than to say I haven’t used it in a very long time and have no immediate desire to go back there.

Threaded's gear list:Threaded's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR
jjz2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,767

Looking at the data, the XT-3 is the most popular camera. The XT-3 is just not plotted on the graph.

jjz2's gear list:jjz2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
Street_Photography
Street_Photography Senior Member • Posts: 1,713

Firstly the OP is interesting. Thanks for sharing. As we suspected, the XE line seems to be last for Xtrans cameras

Foxjet wrote:

@Threaded:

I have been a member since 2014 and have seen amazing growth since then. In fact, I don't know of a bigger site of this type. Not considering such nonsense as Instagram by the way. Since Smug Mug bought Flickr and eliminated the Yahoo log in requirement the experience has improved enormously.

Flickr is a hot bed of activity using Fuji equipment. Go to Flickr and enter Fuji in the search box and then click on groups. There is page after page of Fuji groups listed. I'm a member of 6 of these groups.

If not on Flickr...you are missing out. Don't live in the past, I'm not interested in old gripes as they are no longer relevant.

Check out this You Tube video to see the Flickr advantages:

Flickr FAQs

I also find this reply interesting as I have been a member a long time too, but haven't noticed what you have noticed.

To me it seems like they haven't done much. They are raising the subscription price and have had to beg for money a couple of times like Wikipedia does. Most groups I am in still lack more than a couple of comments in the discussions section. Often the last comment was 2013.

I much prefer Flickr to Instagram but I am disappointed most photographers seem to be on Instagram. When I meet a photographer and we share our stuff, they are always shocked I am on Flickr and not Instagram. I need to seek out more interactive groups, most comments I get are copy and paste ones. I am more interactive on a Facebook group (which is also on Flickr but that gets maybe 2 photos per week Vs 100 on Facebook), despite Facebook destroying image quality. Socially its just better and Flickr shoukd have re-thought that side imo as community is tiny there.

I feel like Flickr has completely missed the mark as a superior alternative to Instagram due to lack of marketing, change and innovation. I am not confident they will be able to make it profitable so stopped adding photos to my Pro account, as its not worth the money or risk of wasting time.

I just have a gut feeling it won't work out unless they do something big like partner up with another platform or two, which they haven't done, so it ain't happening. There just seems to be a total lack of monetizing the site well e.g. they have groups for every single lens and camera but they don't send traffic to Amazon. Its like a visual version of these forums, which send people to Amazon.

They should be integrated with this site providing a gallery feature for people's photos which they dont specifically put in their gallery. Instead people occasionally link to full quality images from YouTube videos and other platforms so people can see full quality files.

They should have those vloggers on Flickr in the first place. It should be the first stop for photographers online. They need to embed comments on other sites e.g. Twitter, so they can tap into more traffic e.g. login with Twitter profile. There seems to be so much they could have tried but haven't tried.

I really hope I am completely wrong and you are right. I will start by checking out the critique group mentioned in the video, but I fear communities like that are tiny compared to the likes of Instagram.

EDIT: just tried a critique group but photo embed codes cant be found on mobile, it's desktop only. Most internet traffic is mobile these days. On a 12.9 inch iPad Pro (and smaller devices) they should have enabled embedding so people can join critique communities (its active but not many people in it).  Also, images cannot be uploaded in full quality from Lightroom Mobile on Android unless first saved to the device. May be an Adobe problem but it's ruining the main USP for me, I don't want to clog my Android devices up then delete the photos after uploading and spend twice the time to upload the photos, so may as well just upload to the more active Facebook or Instagram. Still seems like such a huge missed opportunity to me.

Street_Photography's gear list:Street_Photography's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR 7artisans 7.5mm F2.8 Fisheye +1 more
tjinsd
tjinsd Regular Member • Posts: 190

Foxjet wrote:

tjinsd wrote:

Yep, maybe the OP should have presented a chart that included the X-T3 and X-T4 as well.

You have a lot of great photos on Flickr.  I assume that its like fishing... a lot of patient waiting for those perfect opportunities to present themselves.  And a fast focusing lens!

tjinsd's gear list:tjinsd's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm 50-230mm Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +2 more
Nikon24-7 Regular Member • Posts: 474

Threaded wrote:

It kind of stands to reason that the longer a camera has been around, the more pictures will have been taken with it and posted to Flickr. At the same time, the declining use of flickr over the years makes it less likely than any of the newer Fuji’s will ever make a dent in the XT2s record. I closed my Flickr account years ago now so it’s never going to know how much I’ve used Fuji’s other cameras since.

I have registered myself the declining use of Flickr. May l ask if you have moved to other platforms to share your photos. I use Instagram more these days than Flickr. Nice to know sort of in a way😉

tjinsd wrote:

Foxjet wrote:

tjinsd wrote:

You have a lot of great photos on Flickr. I assume that its like fishing... a lot of patient waiting for those perfect opportunities to present themselves. And a fast focusing lens!

Thanks for the compliment. I generally use a walk around style of shooting. And am not known for my patience. Experience and good field craft are my stock in trade.

Having good equipment is very important as well. I love my X-T3.

Egil Stroemme wrote:

Threaded wrote:

I have registered myself the declining use of Flickr. May l ask if you have moved to other platforms to share your photos. I use Instagram more these days than Flickr. Nice to know sort of in a way😉

Guys! Your seat of the pants feeling about the status of Flickr is way wrong. Why not use your search engine to get up to date? Here is a start for you guys,

https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks/best-photography-sites

And here is a quote from that link for those to lazy to click a link:

"What are the best photo storage and sharing sites?

After testing all of the major services, we think the best photo storage and sharing site is Flickr. While the free version of Flickr has a cap of 1,000 photos, a Pro account costs just $49.99 per year, which gets you an unlimited number of uploads, as well as the ability to store videos up to 10 minutes in length"

Try it...you'll like it!

John Gellings
John Gellings Veteran Member • Posts: 7,317

roberthd12 wrote:

I post this only because it's semi-interesting, at least to me. From this screenshot, it looks like the X-T2 is the most popular of Fuji cameras based on # of Flickr uploads and avg daily users. Don't ask me to interpret any of this very deeply, as it's Sunday morning and my wife is mad at me. Brain cells gone.

Probably because Flickr hasn’t been relevant since the X-T2.

-- hide signature --

https://www.johngellings.com
Instagram = @johngellings0 and @nycrandomjg

John Gellings's gear list:John Gellings's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Sony a7C +8 more

John Gellings wrote:

roberthd12 wrote:

We can always count on you for irrelevant remarks John, thanks much.

Why don't you read the post just above yours to see Flickr's relevance today.

tacogeoff
tacogeoff Regular Member • Posts: 227

wow. I did not even know flckr was still kicking. good for them sticking around.

I used to be on it from about 2008-2014ish. But I went the way of Instagram as it was easier to share my art with friends/family and feel it is a superior platform.

tacogeoff's gear list:tacogeoff's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm 50-230mm II Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR
John Gellings

Foxjet wrote:

John Gellings wrote:

roberthd12 wrote:

We can always count on you for irrelevant remarks John, thanks much.

Why don't you read the post just above yours to see Flickr's relevance today.

Did I hurt your feelings? Why so personal? I guess I should have said it isn’t as relevant as it used to be. That’s the truth no? Prove me wrong if I’m wrong...and note that your Tom’s Guide (thought that was dead too) link is talking about storage not the many other reasons people use a service. Flickr is definitely on a decline. It’s ok if you like it still but there could be something to what many of us are saying. Many of us remember Flickr from way earlier than 2014 and there was a time when it was THE site to use.  It just isn’t what it used to be.

-- hide signature --

https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks/best-photography-sites

And here is a quote from that link for those to lazy to click a link:

"What are the best photo storage and sharing sites?

After testing all of the major services, we think the best photo storage and sharing site is Flickr. While the free version of Flickr has a cap of 1,000 photos, a Pro account costs just $49.99 per year, which gets you an unlimited number of uploads, as well as the ability to store videos up to 10 minutes in length"

The above copied and pasted from yesterday's post.

Note the quote: "After testing all of the major services, we think the best photo storage and sharing site is Flickr"

Storage and sharing....What part of storage and sharing is confusing you?

Instagram? Fine by me. I have an Instagram account. I use it to share my cell phone shots with family and friends. It's great how it self crops and gives choice of filters, really quick and convenient. Is it good enough for my serious photography? No of course not, but many others use it for that purpose so go figure. Well, I guess if you only look at the Instagram photos on your phone screen they will look pretty good, just not on a proper computer monitor.

So...biggest site is Google Photos, next is Instagram, next is Flickr. First two for cell phone photography, then Flickr for real cameras. But even on Flickr there are massive numbers of cell phone shots. Makes me question the future of traditional photography.

John Gellings

It’s ok Richard, we get it... you love Flickr.  Keep using it.  Many of us have moved on.  Nothing wrong with either decision.  We all use what works for us.  I’m not enamored with Instagram either.

-- hide signature --

7rvar Regular Member • Posts: 217

The flickr starter kit is a DSLR, a tacky watermark and a poorly curated gallery.

The site itself and upload quality are good.

Last time I tried to scroll through a flickr gallery it stopped me between photos to watch an ad. They need to do better.

-- hide signature --

If I didn't have 3 cameras how would I take pictures of my 2 cameras?

7rvar's gear list:7rvar's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-A7 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads