90d and Tamron 150-600 - sharpness issue or wrong expectations

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
JasonTheBirder
JasonTheBirder Senior Member • Posts: 1,573
Re: 90d and Tamron 150-600 - sharpness issue or wrong expectations

Duckman21 wrote:

JasonTheBirder wrote:

Duckman21 wrote:

This lens is hit or miss wide open at 600mm. It can be quite sharp on some occasions, but more often than not it appears hazy and soft. Your first image is consistent with how most of my f6.3 600mm images look even if objects are in focus. Stop it down to f8 or f9 if you want more sharpness (be sure to bring down the shutter speed if possible). Note that you will lose depth of field and it doesn't do anything about heat/atmospheric haze which this lens seems sensitive to at the longer focal lengths.

I think this is good advice. I never shoot mine wide open, but my gut feeling is that this lens peaks in sharpness at f/7.1, so I usually just leave it there unless I need more depth of field, or the subject is really far away and the focus point is too big for the bird. (I use it on a Nikon, but it's the same idea.)

I find f7.1 good for some situations but in others it seems to still be soft compared to f8. For flying birds I typically use f8-f9, f11 for more distant scoping (though diffraction starts to set in).

Are you shooting APS-C or full-frame? I read some reviews saying this lens is much sharper on full-frame.

The Nikon D500, so with a fairly small pixel pitch, but not as small as the 90D as with the OP. I find the lens decently sharp, though absolutely not as sharp as the 500PF. I think also for distance shots it is a little hard for a DSLR to nail focus all the time. I think the focus point is just too big and the bird too small, though at those distances I am more just looking for a record shot rather than creating art. I also set it at f/8 for flight, which compensates for a little misfocus but the D500 is pretty accurate usually.

indusbreed Senior Member • Posts: 1,133

BlueFish1980 wrote:

Hi All,

I purchased them in September and overall frustrated with the image quality, looking at other pictures people are sharing with this combo, I see higher image quality when zoomed in than mine.

I have attached 4 examples, usually shoot handheld, VC in mode 3 or VC off, doesnt seem to make a difference, getting average looking images. I'm starting to doubt if i have a bad copy of lens or is it technique issues. Each of these images when zoomed in doesnt have sharpness, or looks blurry.

Please suggest if there is any inference or suggestions based on these images. Let me know if any more info is required.

Do some micro focus tests on the lens. Not sure if its Tammy or sigma who comes with that USB dock to calibrate the lens.

ISO 64k on a crop body is not going to give you super clean images. I have seen these super zooms resolves better details on  a FF bodies. I know its little expensive but canon 100-400II is an excellent lens. On 90d with 1.6 crop, you are almost at 600mm territory if you shoot in that range. It will out perform these 150-600 day in day out . Even Tamron's 100-400 variance will have cleaner files when cropped.

Cheers,

IB

Duckman21 Forum Member • Posts: 87

That's as sharp as this lens gets wide open. Regardless of ISO that's very much as sharp as this lens can get for such distant subjects. Stopping it down to f8 is a bit better but it still looks hazy like this. Heat haze is a factor but this lens still falls short compared to a dedicated birding spotting scope.

Both Sigma and Tamron have USB docks.

-- hide signature --

Instagram @FYLegend21
500px @frankyboy5

Duckman21's gear list:Duckman21's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2
QuangFoto
QuangFoto Regular Member • Posts: 384

I have the Tamron g1 version for my 77D, and this lens is sharp.  The g2 is supposed to be sharper, according to the lens review videos.  I use back button focus with AI Servo AF and Hi-burst shooting.  Usually, once AF is engaged I shoot multiple shots even for a standing-still bird.  I notice sometimes a few of those shots are a bit out of focus, so a multi-shot increases the chance of having a good shot out of the series.

Try shooting in a good light condition to see if you get a sharper image.

QuangFoto's gear list:QuangFoto's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV Nikon D60 +20 more
ChristopherL Junior Member • Posts: 47

advice:

I have a sigma 150-600 C lens and and 7D mark II.

I had a sharpness issue when I bought the lens.

I decided to sent the lens and camera to sigma in NY to get calibrated.

This was done at no cost because lens was under warranty.

They made everything right...I note that they fixed things without turning on

the MFA feature in the 7D mark II.  I really don't know exactly what they did...but

it worked.

Moral is it pays to let manufacturer set things up right.  They do know more than

I ever will...now all I have to do is take the photos..

DWare
DWare Contributing Member • Posts: 761

Shutter speeds are slow for handheld at those focal lengths and in consideration of a cropped sensor.  We all have differing abilities of how steady we can handhold but those speeds are pretty slow.  I would suggest playing with a static image and evaluating sharpness with varying shutter speeds as well as playing with how you are steadying the camera.  It's also important to make sure to follow through after pressing the shutter button.  It's not uncommon to see experienced photographers dropping their camera too quickly after taking a shot.  Also, if a tripod is not possible, a monopod maybe a good option with such focal lengths.

Duckman21 Forum Member • Posts: 87

DWare wrote:

Shutter speeds are slow for handheld at those focal lengths and in consideration of a cropped sensor. We all have differing abilities of how steady we can handhold but those speeds are pretty slow. I would suggest playing with a static image and evaluating sharpness with varying shutter speeds as well as playing with how you are steadying the camera. It's also important to make sure to follow through after pressing the shutter button. It's not uncommon to see experienced photographers dropping their camera too quickly after taking a shot. Also, if a tripod is not possible, a monopod maybe a good option with such focal lengths.

While I agree that results may vary depending on the user, the general consensus has been that the Tamron G2's VC is inferior to first-party options and even to the Sigma 150-600mm. It's rather twitchy and I don't trust shooting this lens below 1/250 unless I really have to. Even when my hands are mostly stable and my focus is completely locked, I get the impression every few images is smeared and soft. It looks a bit like motion blur but I think the stabilizer element is adding some softness. It Toby/PhotoRec's comparison to the Sigma illustrates the same issues I'm having.

Changing to viewfinder priority with the tap-in console yields a much more stable viewfinder image It works great for video but for still images the softness persists and may be even worse because the VC is working a lot harder. It also leads to greater battery consumption and viewfinder lag, so when I see a flying bird I must constantly flick to different modes.

-- hide signature --

Instagram @FYLegend21
500px @frankyboy5

Duckman21's gear list:Duckman21's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads