Should we call the 150-400mm f/4.5 Pro 'Moby Dick'?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Danielvr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,555
Should we call the 150-400mm f/4.5 Pro 'Moby Dick'?

In the Four Thirds days, we had the Big Tuna (300mm f/2.8) and its smaller brother, Little Tuna (150mm f/2.0).

And now we have this incredible 150-400mm f/4.5 telephoto zoom lens, which I guess is both a triumph and a tragedy. A triumph of opto-mechanical ingenuity because no lens of its kind (stabilized, portable, hand-holdable 150-500mm reach with great IQ) has ever been made, and a tragedy because it marks Oly's sad farewell from the photo industry.

So, I was wondering if we should call this lens 'Moby Dick', after the whale in Herman Melville's famous novel. Moby Dick was, after all, the largest whale that lived, just like the 150-400mm is Oly's largest lens. And Moby Dick was white, just like the lens. Finally, Moby Dick was a symbol for the unrelenting pursuit of something unattainable, much like it turned out to be impossible for Oly to establish a viable, mainstream photographic standard even though it gave its all in the pursuit of this dream. Oh, and like the big whale, it will remain out of reach to most of us, too..

There may be more similarities that I haven't thought of. I have considered alternative nicknames, like Moby Zuiko and Oly Dick, but I don't think those would work Any other suggestions?

Danielvr's gear list:Danielvr's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +2 more
Mark Ransom
Mark Ransom Veteran Member • Posts: 7,444
Re: Should we call the 150-400mm f/4.5 Pro 'Moby Dick'?

I've always disliked the Big/Little Tuna nicknames because I wasn't around when they were in common usage, so I had no idea what they meant.  Anybody who spoke of them was speaking in riddles as far as I'm concerned.  The actual name of the lens is a mouthfull but it tells you what you need to know.

Mark Ransom's gear list:Mark Ransom's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-01 Olympus E-M5 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +6 more
Jan Chelminski Senior Member • Posts: 2,385

Moby Dictator

-- hide signature --

"The camera introduces us to to unconscious optics as does psychoanalysis to unconscious impulses"
------
"The art of the critic in a nutshell: to coin slogans without betraying ideas. The slogans of an inadequate criticism peddle ideas to fashion."
-------
- Walter Benjamin
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Drawing is a constant correcting of errors, maybe a great deal of creation is exactly that."
-----
- John Berger
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"...to photograph is to frame, and to frame is to exclude."
------
-- Susan Sontag

Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 18,791
Or maybe White Elephant?

Or maybe White Elephant?  Seems like a winning name to me.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Brian Wadie
Brian Wadie Forum Pro • Posts: 10,408

I look forward to calling it "My Lens"

-- hide signature --

So much to learn, so little time left to do it!

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +1 more
Petr Bambousek
Petr Bambousek Regular Member • Posts: 378

It is and always will Gandalf the White, for me

Petr Bambousek's gear list:Petr Bambousek's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro +10 more
Brian Wadie
Brian Wadie Forum Pro • Posts: 10,408

Petr Bambousek wrote:

It is and always will Gandalf the White, for me

now that I do approve of

(mind you, at the price it is it could be "My Preciousss"  )

So much to learn, so little time left to do it!

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +1 more
Messier Object Veteran Member • Posts: 9,972

Danielvr wrote:

In the Four Thirds days, we had the Big Tuna (300mm f/2.8) and its smaller brother, Little Tuna (150mm f/2.0).

And now we have this incredible 150-400mm f/4.5 telephoto zoom lens, which I guess is both a triumph and a tragedy. A triumph of opto-mechanical ingenuity because no lens of its kind (stabilized, portable, hand-holdable 150-500mm reach with great IQ) has ever been made, and a tragedy because it marks Oly's sad farewell from the photo industry.

So, I was wondering if we should call this lens 'Moby Dick', after the whale in Herman Melville's famous novel. Moby Dick was, after all, the largest whale that lived, just like the 150-400mm is Oly's largest lens.

And Moby Dick was white, just like the lens. Finally, Moby Dick was a symbol for the unrelenting pursuit of something unattainable, much like it turned out to be impossible for Oly to establish a viable, mainstream photographic standard even though it gave its all in the pursuit of this dream. Oh, and like the big whale, it will remain out of reach to most of us, too..

There may be more similarities that I haven't thought of. I have considered alternative nicknames, like Moby Zuiko and Oly Dick, but I don't think those would work Any other suggestions?

it’s big but far from the largest Olympus has made, nor does it have the greatest focal length.

It is indeed the largest fish in the Micro Fourthirds bowl though, and while I suspect the Zuiko designers have a romantic or heroic Japanese nickname for it, I doubt it relates to whales or whaling

Peter

Chris DC Regular Member • Posts: 469

You get my vote!!!

I love my little tuna and aspire to the big tuna someday. The Moby Dick will likely remain the stuff of dreams😀

CDC

Albert Valentino Veteran Member • Posts: 9,023
Titan?

How about the Titan. The Titans were the fathers of the Olympians, and this lens is the final offspring of Olympus. Great tribute to the heritage, and likely the biggest m43 lens that will ever be made - who could ask for anything more

-- hide signature --

If you don't get older and wiser, than you just get older.

Albert Valentino's gear list:Albert Valentino's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +10 more
mring1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,465
Lin

No text.

mring1's gear list:mring1's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +5 more
mring1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,465
Sorry...

Meant to say "kinda' depends..." For the birders, it's going to be highly prized, unique and rare. The Great White Whale for sure. For the rest of us, more a White Elephant"...

mring1's gear list:mring1's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +5 more
Dale108
Dale108 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,851
Re: Should we call the 150-400 f 4.5 a Classic?

To me this is an amazing lens that while it likely won't sell in bucketloads, will be a classic for many wildlife shooters.  Optically it looks so far great wide open and I would definitely buy this lens with a lottery win.  Unfortunately, sticking with the PL 100-400, but would be a proud owner if possible to acquire it.

Dale

Danielvr wrote:

So, I was wondering if we should call this lens 'Moby Dick', after the whale in Herman Melville's famous novel. Moby Dick was, after all, the largest whale that lived, just like the 150-400mm is Oly's largest lens. And Moby Dick was white, just like the lens. Finally, Moby Dick was a symbol for the unrelenting pursuit of something unattainable, much like it turned out to be impossible for Oly to establish a viable, mainstream photographic standard even though it gave its all in the pursuit of this dream. Oh, and like the big whale, it will remain out of reach to most of us, too..

Dale108's gear list:Dale108's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Olympus TG-5 Sony RX10 IV Pentax K-1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 18,975

I'll call it Moby or even "Yes dear" should I ever receive royal permission for a purchase. Just promise me I won't have the same fate as poor Ahab. "Done in by a lens" would be poor form on a tombstone.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

Jvlahakis
Jvlahakis Senior Member • Posts: 1,019
Re: Titan?

-Here, Here, I second the motion.  Perfect ending for Mt Olympus and the Olympian gods.

Jvlahakis's gear list:Jvlahakis's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50R Olympus OM-D E-M1X Fujifilm GFX 100 Olympus E-M1 III Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +12 more
Harold66
Harold66 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,363
Re: is it the last one ?

Danielvr wrote:

I and a tragedy because it marks Oly's sad farewell from the photo industry.

Does it now ? I thought there was at least ONE more lens coming from Olympus with a 8/25mm zoom ... am I missing something here ?

H

-- hide signature --

FOLLOW me on IG @ledaylightstudio.
thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com
IG :thedemandingtraveler

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +5 more
OP Danielvr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,555

and a tragedy because it marks Oly's sad farewell from the photo industry.

Does it now ? I thought there was at least ONE more lens coming from Olympus with a 8/25mm zoom ... am I missing something here ?

There's still a roadmap, but even if JIP does still produce those lenses, and does so under the Olympus brand name (which isn't certain), it will most likely be after Olympus itself has essentialy left the camera business (on January 2, 2021 it will transfer 95% of the business, including R&D and manufacturing, to JIP).

Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +2 more
OP Danielvr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,555
the Great White

The Great White Whale for sure.

Or just Great White? If it's bitingly sharp, it may earn that name!

Danielvr wrote:

and a tragedy because it marks Oly's sad farewell from the photo industry.

There's still a roadmap, but even if JIP does still produce those lenses, and does so under the Olympus brand name (which isn't certain), it will most likely be after Olympus itself has essentialy left the camera business (on January 2, 2021 it will transfer 95% of the business, including R&D and manufacturing, to JIP).

JIP bought the Zuiko lens division and the binocular group - so they have a vested interest in glass. I can see possibility of Zuiko getting into the lens business the way Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina has. They know how to make great glass and that could be the cash cow in the future. The 150-400 could be a great way to showcase their expertise. Also, as I recall, it all began by Olympus making a lens, then designing their first camera around it.

-- hide signature --

Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +10 more
Re: Titan?

Jvlahakis wrote:

-Here, Here, I second the motion. Perfect ending for Mt Olympus and the Olympian gods.

Glad someone understood symbolism in this modern day Greek, I mean, Olympian, tragedy

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads