Flash head cable plugs - which ones for each brand

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
technics New Member • Posts: 13
Flash head cable plugs - which ones for each brand

Hi guys

I have a question when it comes to which types of plugs each brand uses for their flash packs and heads. I'd like to make cables and adaptors to work for each brand.

Balcar = AMP CPC Series 1
Profoto = ? 12- pin but which ones?
Broncolor = ?

Thanks for any infos.

Cheers

Teila Day
Teila Day Veteran Member • Posts: 5,197
Broncolor considerations

I guessing that more than just the cable needs to be considered; again I'm guessing as such (cables/electronics, etc.) isn't even remotely my area of expertise. Here are some things to consider if such is even relevant at all..

Broncolor cable ends:

Broncolor cable ends (pic from the web)

Broncolor light & Broncolor pack compatibility chart (illustration from South Florida distributor if I recall)

Best of luck - It would be nice to be able to mix-&-match lights and packs, though I'd anticipate software/firmware issues abound.

-- hide signature --
OP technics New Member • Posts: 13
Re: Broncolor considerations

Thank you!

i’m not sure what these Bron or Profoto plugs are in terms of brand or type. Any suggestions?

Teila Day
Teila Day Veteran Member • Posts: 5,197
Re: Broncolor considerations

technics wrote:

Thank you!

i’m not sure what these Bron or Profoto plugs are in terms of brand or type. Any suggestions?

Such is outside of my knowledge base.  I'm sorry that I can't help.  Perhaps an electrical engineering forum could give you some good information regarding the different plugs and associated wiring, etc..

Best of luck!

-- hide signature --
Ed Shapiro
Ed Shapiro Regular Member • Posts: 339
Re: Flash head cable plugs - which ones for each brand

technics wrote:

Hi guys

I have a question when it comes to which types of plugs each brand uses for their flash packs and heads. I'd like to make cables and adaptors to work for each brand.

Balcar = AMP CPC Series 1
Profoto = ? 12- pin but which ones?
Broncolor = ?

Thanks for any infos.

Cheers

Are you referring to the plugs on the high-voltage cables between the flash heads and the power supplies?

If that is the case, the cables and their connectors and not easy to safe to replicate unless you have very good soldering and insulation application skills.

Someof the cord-mounted plugs and sockets (male and female connectors) are made in the same factories as the heads and packs while other are manufactured by companies such as Amphenol, Cannon (not the camera folks), Cinch-Jones and many other makers in Asia and Europe besides the aforementioned American companies.

Each plug for your various flash systems has specific pin configurations, polarity specifications and some are made to Mil-Spec, that is military specifications for durability, moisture sealing and positive locking mechanisms. The plastic, polymer or other synthetic material used to secure the contacts need to have an especially high dielectric strength. There are audio connectors that look similar to high-voltage models but they won't do the job.

The conductors in the cables need to be of the proper gauge and need to be soldered in place very carefully and insulated with shrink tubing, or corona dope to avoid arcing and short circuits. The connector should have adequate strain relief. Some of the horizontally oriented cable connectors with multiple contacts require special precision soldering and crimping equipment.

Unless you have the required skills and equipment, it is best to order cables from the original manufacturer or have them custom made by an electronic technician or electronic flash repair shop. A poorly crafted cable or connector can cause serious damage to the equipment and/or a dangerous shock hazard.

Head from power packs of different makes are usually not interchangeable via a simple adapter- many have entirely different internal circuitry and need major modification to become interchangeable.

Ed Shapiro- Commercial and Portrait Photographer. Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Gato Amarillo Veteran Member • Posts: 7,206
Ed covered it pretty well. NT

No text.

OP technics New Member • Posts: 13

Thanks even though that’s something I’m aware of. My question is rather where to get the plugs that is used in Bron and Pro equipment. Are they manufactured by the brands themselves?

Ed Shapiro
Ed Shapiro Regular Member • Posts: 339

technics wrote:

Thanks even though that’s something I’m aware of. My question is rather where to get the plugs that is used in Bron and Pro equipment. Are they manufactured by the brands themselves?

It's difficult to tell exactly where these plugs are made. Sometimes there is a manufacturer's trademark, logo, or part number on the plugs. The part number may be that of the plug manufacturer it the manufacture in the head and. or power pack.

In many cases, the manufacturers of the flash gear outsource many of the components and basic design and assemble the units but don't make every part in-house. Sometimes, they may change suppliers during a production run.

Your best bet is to contact the manufacturers  or there authorized repair facilities directly and enquire of them,

I am a commercial photographer, but for 20 years I also partnered in a business that prepared, modified and custom build electronic flash equipment.

Domestically made equipment oftentimes  source their connectors from Amphenol, Cannon or Cynch-Jones, however, the European mad gear can be made by any number of suppliers unknown to me. Sometimes certain domestically made connectors are custom made for the strobe manufacturers and not sold or stocked for general distribution and have to be obtained from the brand's factory. Other times a more or less standard connector is used but someof the pins or terminal are not wired.

If you post a picture of the plugs, I might recognize them. Also- various modes and model-years from each manufacturer may use different parts.

Sorry I can be more specific.

Ed Shapiro- Commercial and Portrait Photographer. Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads