Possibly moving to full-frame mirrorless from m4/3’s

Started Nov 21, 2020 | Discussions
PLShutterbug Senior Member • Posts: 1,321
Re: As an ex M43 user

"Anyway, so I'm wondering how you lug the Z7 around?"

I'm not NCV but ...

I just carry it on either a neck strap or a wrist strap. I prefer a wrist strap. I happen to be blessed with great balance so have never found the need to hike with ski poles, and I seldom reach my hands out even on steep slopes. So this method works for me.

I've seen other arrangements that allow the camera to attached to a backpack shoulder strap so it doesn't bounce around but I haven't decided to invest in one of these systems yet.

PLShutterbug's gear list:PLShutterbug's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +5 more
1llusive
1llusive Veteran Member • Posts: 3,550

PLShutterbug wrote:

I'm not NCV but ...

I just carry it on either a neck strap or a wrist strap. I prefer a wrist strap. I happen to be blessed with great balance so have never found the need to hike with ski poles, and I seldom reach my hands out even on steep slopes. So this method works for me.

I've seen other arrangements that allow the camera to attached to a backpack shoulder strap so it doesn't bounce around but I haven't decided to invest in one of these systems yet.

I have the Peak Design Sling and am thinking about getting the Hip Belt with that clip on there so the camera could be attached below the spine rather than above. If they could be used together that would be ideal for me.

I generally don't do bags but I do have sling bag in case I needed to carry more.

1llusive's gear list:1llusive's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 +1 more
jaiyenyen Regular Member • Posts: 222

fz750 wrote:

NCV wrote:

I recently sold all my M43 gear that was getting a bit long in the tooth. I had five or six years good service out of my EM5, which was quite revolutionary when it appeared. I sold all my stuff before Olympus announced their exit from the camera industry.

I tried a demo Z7 at my local dealers and was smitten with this camera. The viewfinder is on an almost optical level and I can work seamlessly with my D810. I found the electronic viewfinder in my EM5 unpleasent and useless even, when I used M43 in tandem with the OVF in my D810.

I hike a lot and I like photographic our historic cities here in Italy. I wanted a one lens solution for my hikes and I compared the possibility of getting a EM1iii + 12-100 and running a M43 kit along side my DSL outfit. But I found the Z7 + 24-200 weighs the same, so I bought a Z 7 with two or three lenses including the brilliant 24-200.

For hiking the Z7 + 24-200 is brilliant. I keep the 14-30 in my rucksack as it does not weigh too much

Still, the Z7+24-200mm is not exactly tiny is it? And a bit slow very quickly from what I read (f/6.1 @ 50mm ?)

I also go hiking a fair bit and i'm sick of the crappy iPhone pics I am accumulating that would be wonderful if from a real camera, but strangely I seem to be allergic to carrying my D7200+ (18-140 or 11-20) lens along (and hate it hanging down on a strap, extending itself and getting bounced around etc)..

So, I've also been pondering a hiking camera solution, which seems to me to be an X-T30 with a small prime (Fuji seems to have a few affordable and decent wide angle ones) clipped onto my rucksack strap with a Peak Design Capture clip..

Anyway, so I'm wondering how you lug the Z7 around?

I carry mine in the small Peak Design back pack along with 14-30 f4 lens and various ancillary bits and pieces incl waterproofs and PD tripod. No problem at all carrying that for miles, countryside or city.

jaiyenyen's gear list:jaiyenyen's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Nikon Z7 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +4 more
OP CedarTree33 Contributing Member • Posts: 554

1llusive wrote:

PLShutterbug wrote:

I'm not NCV but ...

I have the Peak Design Sling and am thinking about getting the Hip Belt with that clip on there so the camera could be attached below the spine rather than above. If they could be used together that would be ideal for me.

I generally don't do bags but I do have sling bag in case I needed to carry more.

Side note: can you guys tell me what camera carry slings you are referring too? I have a Peak Design Slide as well and the Black Rapids sling, but what’s the one that straps to your rucksack? Or the one with the hip belt you both mention?

CedarTree33's gear list:CedarTree33's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Olympus E-M1 III Canon EOS R5 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus 25mm F1.2 +4 more
PLShutterbug Senior Member • Posts: 1,321

nickels25 wrote:

1llusive wrote:

PLShutterbug wrote:

I'm not NCV but ...

Side note: can you guys tell me what camera carry slings you are referring too? I have a Peak Design Slide as well and the Black Rapids sling, but what’s the one that straps to your rucksack? Or the one with the hip belt you both mention?

I don’t have a hip belt thingy. I have an Optech slide probably similar to the Peak Design one you have. I don’t like it - it seems to be designed backwards.

Peak has the Capture Clip: https://www.peakdesign.com/collections/clips/products/capture

That’s what I’m talking about. See the fifth picture in the link above.

PLShutterbug's gear list:PLShutterbug's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +5 more
1llusive
1llusive Veteran Member • Posts: 3,550

nickels25 wrote:

1llusive wrote:

PLShutterbug wrote:

I'm not NCV but ...

Whoops I meant to type Slide, the shoulder strap.

They have a Hip Belt: https://www.peakdesign.com/products/everyday-hip-belt/

You can put a Capture clip on it: https://www.peakdesign.com/products/capture/

1llusive's gear list:1llusive's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 +1 more
fz750
fz750 Regular Member • Posts: 339

1llusive wrote:

nickels25 wrote:

1llusive wrote:

PLShutterbug wrote:

I'm not NCV but ...

They have a Hip Belt: https://www.peakdesign.com/products/everyday-hip-belt/

You can put a Capture clip on it: https://www.peakdesign.com/products/capture/

to me it looks like the lens will be bouncing around constantly, banging on my hip (x hours clmbing and descending etc.. fun..) - plus I wonder if it's really good (anybody know?) for the lens to be hanging down and inevitably extending to full length as will inevitably happen with something like the 24-200? (as with my current 18-140..)

fz750's gear list:fz750's gear list
Nikon D7200 Fujifilm X-T30 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 +2 more
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 11,837

fz750 wrote:

NCV wrote:

I recently sold all my M43 gear that was getting a bit long in the tooth. I had five or six years good service out of my EM5, which was quite revolutionary when it appeared. I sold all my stuff before Olympus announced their exit from the camera industry.

I tried a demo Z7 at my local dealers and was smitten with this camera. The viewfinder is on an almost optical level and I can work seamlessly with my D810. I found the electronic viewfinder in my EM5 unpleasent and useless even, when I used M43 in tandem with the OVF in my D810.

I hike a lot and I like photographic our historic cities here in Italy. I wanted a one lens solution for my hikes and I compared the possibility of getting a EM1iii + 12-100 and running a M43 kit along side my DSL outfit. But I found the Z7 + 24-200 weighs the same, so I bought a Z 7 with two or three lenses including the brilliant 24-200.

For hiking the Z7 + 24-200 is brilliant. I keep the 14-30 in my rucksack as it does not weigh too much

Still, the Z7+24-200mm is not exactly tiny is it? And a bit slow very quickly from what I read (f/6.1 @ 50mm ?)

I also go hiking a fair bit and i'm sick of the crappy iPhone pics I am accumulating that would be wonderful if from a real camera, but strangely I seem to be allergic to carrying my D7200+ (18-140 or 11-20) lens along (and hate it hanging down on a strap, extending itself and getting bounced around etc)..

So, I've also been pondering a hiking camera solution, which seems to me to be an X-T30 with a small prime (Fuji seems to have a few affordable and decent wide angle ones) clipped onto my rucksack strap with a Peak Design Capture clip..

I have even carried a D810 + 24-120, mostly slung over my shoulder or around my neck 5to take the shots below of the tosco Emilian Apennines on a 10 hour hike.

Water is usually the biggest weight problem I have.

The Z7 and the 24-200 are not that heavy and the 24-200 has a zoom lock.

The range of this zoom will give far more opportunities, than a fixed prime.

fz750
fz750 Regular Member • Posts: 339

NCV wrote:

fz750 wrote:

NCV wrote:

I have even carried a D810 + 24-120, mostly slung over my shoulder or around my neck 5to take the shots below of the tosco Emilian Apennines on a 10 hour hike.

Water is usually the biggest weight problem I have.

The Z7 and the 24-200 are not that heavy and the 24-200 has a zoom lock.

yes, we normally carry 4-6 litres of water when hiking and yes it's heavy but can be stashed in the rucksack somewhere whereas I like to have my camera handy

I think the point (for me personally) about the camera is I really don't like any weight swinging around whilst I'm walking and I am perhaps overly "careful" with my camera gear, but it's good to know about the zoom lock - I wasn't aware of that, and that lens certainly has a very useful range!

fz750's gear list:fz750's gear list
Nikon D7200 Fujifilm X-T30 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 +2 more
OP CedarTree33 Contributing Member • Posts: 554

fz750 wrote:

1llusive wrote:

nickels25 wrote:

1llusive wrote:

PLShutterbug wrote:

I'm not NCV but ...

to me it looks like the lens will be bouncing around constantly, banging on my hip (x hours clmbing and descending etc.. fun..) - plus I wonder if it's really good (anybody know?) for the lens to be hanging down and inevitably extending to full length as will inevitably happen with something like the 24-200? (as with my current 18-140..)

Thanks all. Does the 24-200 creep pretty bad?

CedarTree33's gear list:CedarTree33's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Olympus E-M1 III Canon EOS R5 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus 25mm F1.2 +4 more
dj_paige
dj_paige Senior Member • Posts: 2,669
Re: I wouldn't switch to Nikon now

wb2trf wrote:

People here may get mad, but I wouldn't switch to Nikon now. The company is seriously on the ropes.

An opposite opinion: https://youtu.be/F__vAqXxCqY

-- hide signature --

Paige Miller

dj_paige's gear list:dj_paige's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +1 more
jthomas39 Contributing Member • Posts: 687

1llusive wrote:

nickels25 wrote:

1llusive wrote:

PLShutterbug wrote:

I'm not NCV but ...

Hiking:

The Slide Lite strap, used cross body, is great for my Z6. When hiking, I shorten the strap a lot and the camera is usually against my stomach. That way, I can use trekking poles without hitting the camera.

I already had a Peak Design Capture clip to use with my previous small camera. It's still on my daypack's shoulder strap. This setup doesn't really work with my Z6. It's acceptable with the lightweight 24-70 F4 and an offsetting full water bottle on the opposite side of the pack. Otherwise, a heaver camera and/or lightweight load pulls the pack way off center. Perhaps a good waist strap and a clickable link between shoulder straps would be useable.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads