Would this photo benefit from PL DeepPrime? Topaz suite?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
jaggedhorizon Senior Member • Posts: 2,407
Would this photo benefit from PL DeepPrime? Topaz suite?

This is one of my favourite street photos. It's shot on a 1-inch sensor and processed in LR (I also had a FF camera with me but at that moment it had a ultrawide zoom on, and I had no chance to change it fast enough).

Which tools could improve the image? (sharpness, noise, etc)

jaggedhorizon's gear list:jaggedhorizon's gear list
Sony a7R III
BG454 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,278
Re: Would this photo benefit from PL DeepPrime? Topaz suite?

jaggedhorizon wrote:

This is one of my favourite street photos. It's shot on a 1-inch sensor and processed in LR (I also had a FF camera with me but at that moment it had a ultrawide zoom on, and I had no chance to change it fast enough).

You have two photos here - the couple and the chess game.
I would separate them before I thought about any processing tricks.

BG454's gear list:BG454's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 80D Olympus PEN-F Canon 6D Mark II +17 more
CraigVMN Contributing Member • Posts: 762

PM me the original file, I'll run it through both, and you can decide

CraigVMN's gear list:CraigVMN's gear list
Nikon D5600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR
CraigVMN Contributing Member • Posts: 762

More like one picture with dual scenes, I like it as is

CraigVMN's gear list:CraigVMN's gear list
Nikon D5600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR
Pi lover
Pi lover Senior Member • Posts: 1,877

jaggedhorizon wrote:

DeepPrime only works with raw files.  I don't find noise to be a problem on this picture though.

I find the lady on the left to be too dark but you may like that.  The wall people are sitting on seems a little lower on the right to me.  I didn't measure it but flat would make sense.  That center column isn't perfectly straight.   As for sharpening it can be done at a global level or Detail Brush can focus on the interesting parts.  And finally changing light also changes color so the lower section below the shelf is desaturated in the version below (Linear Gradient on Black and White option) because the contrast in color works.

Thanks for sharing.

Grant.

-- hide signature --

Todays top of the line is tomorrows obsolete.

OP jaggedhorizon Senior Member • Posts: 2,407

CraigVMN wrote:

More like one picture with dual scenes, I like it as is

Indeed, I prefer by far the photo as it is - the whole point is the juxtaposition of the two pairs, each in their world.

Sony a7R III

CraigVMN wrote:

PM me the original file, I'll run it through both, and you can decide

Thank you for the offer, I'll dig it out and send it to you!

(I had done some local and perspective adjustments, but not much).

Sony a7R III

Pi lover wrote:

jaggedhorizon wrote:

DeepPrime only works with raw files. I don't find noise to be a problem on this picture though.

I find the lady on the left to be too dark but you may like that. The wall people are sitting on seems a little lower on the right to me. I didn't measure it but flat would make sense. That center column isn't perfectly straight. As for sharpening it can be done at a global level or Detail Brush can focus on the interesting parts. And finally changing light also changes color so the lower section below the shelf is desaturated in the version below (Linear Gradient on Black and White option) because the contrast in color works.

Thanks for sharing.

Grant.

Thank you for the detailed comments and the rework. What I'm targeting is indeed the "crispier" look of your version, but starting from the RAW so I get less speckled noise in the shadows.

Sony a7R III
gscotten
gscotten Senior Member • Posts: 2,024

jaggedhorizon wrote:

What I'm targeting is indeed the "crispier" look of your version, but starting from the RAW so I get less speckled noise in the shadows.

Here is a version from Denoise AI.  (I removed the wall mark just above the girl's head because I found it distracting.)

-- hide signature --

George

gscotten's gear list:gscotten's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3
CrisL Contributing Member • Posts: 811

jaggedhorizon wrote:

Yes very interesting picture , would like to process the RAW with DXO deep prime

considering the level of noise in your jpg I expect good or very good result

if you can provide a link to the RAW ?

Waiting I think this one I process first with Topaz Denoise AI is not bad ?

CrisL's gear list:CrisL's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon Coolpix 950 +5 more

OK but the noise here is really too much even look at 100%

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon Coolpix 950 +5 more
Jim B (MSP) Forum Pro • Posts: 10,642

jaggedhorizon wrote:

Lots of possibilities with this great shot. I can see why you like it. Once you post the raw, a lot of folks will go after it.

I'd start with Lightroom, then probably use Topaz sharpen and deNoise Ai on it,  and I'd probably adjust some lighting/shadows on the left side.

Then some part of me wants to fix the open wall on the right - maybe by crop or by fill. Or turn it into more of a frame like the left side.

Another part wants to remove the wall art over the chess players head. That will be in Photoshop.

-- hide signature --

Jim
"It's all about the light"

Jim B (MSP)'s gear list:Jim B (MSP)'s gear list
Canon EOS 90D
Van Griff Senior Member • Posts: 1,725

jaggedhorizon wrote:

jh

Great capture!

I would process the raw file with DxOPL Prime or Deep Prime if you have it . . . I have C1 so I would then open in C1 and do further minor editing . . . lift some shadows a touch . . . adjust exposure black and white points . . . perhaps brighten slightly . . . then send to TOPAZ Sharpen AI for detail sharpening and possibly further noise suppression if needed.

The subjects sit slightly high in the image IMHO . . . a 16:9 crop maintaining the existing top line and removing from the bottom of the image may produce a slightly more pleasing result . . . something to play around with [you can easily play around with the image in your browser rolling down to approximate the 16:9 crop and see if you like].

Great image . . . nicely done!

Best,

V G

Van Griff's gear list:Van Griff's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D810 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +33 more

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

jaggedhorizon wrote:

Lots of possibilities with this great shot. I can see why you like it. Once you post the raw, a lot of folks will go after it.

I'd start with Lightroom, then probably use Topaz sharpen and deNoise Ai on it, and I'd probably adjust some lighting/shadows on the left side.

Then some part of me wants to fix the open wall on the right - maybe by crop or by fill. Or turn it into more of a frame like the left side.

Another part wants to remove the wall art over the chess players head. That will be in Photoshop.

Thank you.  Here's a link to the RAW, feel free to work on it!

(This photo featured in an 1x article some time ago: https://1x.com/blog/permalink/8235 . I'd like to print it large so I want to assess how much better it can get)

Sony a7R III

Van Griff wrote:

jaggedhorizon wrote:

jh

Great capture!

I would process the raw file with DxOPL Prime or Deep Prime if you have it . . . I have C1 so I would then open in C1 and do further minor editing . . . lift some shadows a touch . . . adjust exposure black and white points . . . perhaps brighten slightly . . . then send to TOPAZ Sharpen AI for detail sharpening and possibly further noise suppression if needed.

The subjects sit slightly high in the image IMHO . . . a 16:9 crop maintaining the existing top line and removing from the bottom of the image may produce a slightly more pleasing result . . . something to play around with [you can easily play around with the image in your browser rolling down to approximate the 16:9 crop and see if you like].

Great image . . . nicely done!

Best,

V G

Thank you Van Griff!

I've posted the RAW just above if you want to have a test.

Sony a7R III
Jim B (MSP) Forum Pro • Posts: 10,642
No link here

jaggedhorizon wrote:

Thank you. Here's a link to the RAW, feel free to work on it!

(This photo featured in an 1x article some time ago: https://1x.com/blog/permalink/8235 . I'd like to print it large so I want to assess how much better it can get)

There is no link.

-
Jim

Jim B (MSP)'s gear list:Jim B (MSP)'s gear list
Canon EOS 90D
Re: No link here

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

jaggedhorizon wrote:

Thank you. Here's a link to the RAW, feel free to work on it!

There is no link.

-
Jim

Oops, sorry!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aiwoxx6jydgrm66/P1040148.RW2?dl=0

Sony a7R III
poppyjk
poppyjk Contributing Member • Posts: 924
With PL DeepPrime

Processed to taste in PL4 with DeepPrime at default.

-- hide signature --

"Well done is better than well said" - Benjamin Franklin
You have my express consent to edit any of my images that I post on DPR.

poppyjk's gear list:poppyjk's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +5 more
Re: No link here

Here two version

1 One DXO Deep Prime+ LR sharpening

DXO + LR

2 DXO Deep Prime + LR Sharpness + TopazStudio 2

DXO Deep Prime + LR Sharpness + TopazStudio 2

I found that DXO Deep Prime is much clearer and predictable than Topaz Denoise AI

Here a zoom to compare one denoise with Deep Prime versus Topaz DenoiseAI with default values. I also found some horrible artefacts increasing the Remove Noise in Topaz Denoise AI

Left DXO Deep Prime Right Topaz Denoise AI

Lan Senior Member • Posts: 2,336

Hi Cedric,

Yes, this would definitely benefit from DeepPRIME IMO, and Topaz does a reasonable job too:

DxO PhotoLab v4.0.2 DeepPRIME only

Here's the same DxO4 DeepPRIME image after a run through Topaz Sharpen AI v2.2.0:

DxO PhotoLab v4.0.2 DeepPRIME, plus Topaz Sharpen AI v2.2.0 in Focus mode

These are processed roughly to my taste; for this one I'd probably skip Topaz myself, and just use the DeepPRIME version. Hope that's helpful

Stay well!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads