Apple ProRaw (WOW)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Jostian
Jostian Veteran Member • Posts: 4,545
Re: Apple ProRaw (WOW)

BlueCosmo5050 wrote:

Here is an example from today.

I opened the raw file on my computer, RAW is supported but now ProRaw yet that's why it's all dark. Watch how much dynamic range I get. The dark image is what I started with, then the final image is what I ended up with.

Starting Point

Where I ended up

great DR indeed, but the detail rendering is still not great, no where near what what will get with a dedicated FF Camera, good for a phone, but you'd get similar results from the RAW stacking used by some android phones. Result is good though, but when looking closer (see 100% crop below) it doesnt look that great even the car the detail is not great.

-- hide signature --
 Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Sony a9 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +4 more
JohnNewman
JohnNewman Contributing Member • Posts: 875

BlueCosmo5050 wrote:

I opened the raw file on my computer, RAW is supported but now ProRaw yet that's why it's all dark. Watch how much dynamic range I get. The dark image is what I started with, then the final image is what I ended up with.

Starting Point

Where I ended up

Agreed, really excellent result. I see you are using Luminar. Was this as a standalone application or as an extension from Photos. Just asking as was wondering if you thought you would get better results than from Photos?

Thanks for posting, just waiting for UK lockdown to end before I can make an appointment at my local Apple store to get the Pro Max which I'm looking forward to more and more as I see the results from folks like yourself.

Thanks again,

John

JohnNewman's gear list:JohnNewman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Sony RX100 VII Apple iPhone 6s
Groot Regular Member • Posts: 266

I wouldn't be able to express it as gentle as you

BlueCosmo5050
OP BlueCosmo5050 Senior Member • Posts: 1,660

Jostian wrote:

BlueCosmo5050 wrote:

Starting Point

Where I ended up

great DR indeed, but the detail rendering is still not great, no where near what what will get with a dedicated FF Camera, good for a phone, but you'd get similar results from the RAW stacking used by some android phones. Result is good though, but when looking closer (see 100% crop below) it doesnt look that great even the car the detail is not great.

I agree with that but I expected that. Honestly even a full frame looks similar at 12 MP. A little better though. With my 30 Megapixel camera I can see a lot more detail when zoomed in obviously. But the point is... I'm not going to have the 30 megapixel camera with me and I'll have this with me.

BlueCosmo5050's gear list:BlueCosmo5050's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +1 more
BlueCosmo5050

JohnNewman wrote:

BlueCosmo5050 wrote:

Starting Point

Where I ended up

Agreed, really excellent result. I see you are using Luminar. Was this as a standalone application or as an extension from Photos. Just asking as was wondering if you thought you would get better results than from Photos?

Thanks for posting, just waiting for UK lockdown to end before I can make an appointment at my local Apple store to get the Pro Max which I'm looking forward to more and more as I see the results from folks like yourself.

Thanks again,

John

I don't use the photos app because I don't want to organize photos in that way. I use a cloud service and keep it on the hard drive and I'd have to double the images to put in photos or put the photos library in the cloud and I wasn't impressed with it.

So I use Luminar or Aurora HDR. Both made by the same company. I use Affinity photo for photoshop stuff. That allowed me to cancel my adobe cloud.

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +1 more
tko Forum Pro • Posts: 13,338
not one sample photo???

I can't be the only one wanting just one sample photo to back up all that talk.

I thought the advantage of cells was the ability to post images quickly . . .

-- hide signature --

no, I won't return to read your witty reply!
professional cynic and contrarian: don't take it personally
http://500px.com/omearak

The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 24,581
Re: not one sample photo???

tko wrote:

He posted one here.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64578341

While it is not as good as a DSLR at base iso as claimed...it was pretty good considering.  I just wish Apple had gone with a 16mp or 24mp sensor instead.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon Z7 +16 more
Groot Regular Member • Posts: 266

BlueCosmo5050 wrote:

Jostian wrote:

BlueCosmo5050 wrote:

Starting Point

Where I ended up

I agree with that but I expected that. Honestly even a full frame looks similar at 12 MP. A little better though. With my 30 Megapixel camera I can see a lot more detail when zoomed in obviously. But the point is... I'm not going to have the 30 megapixel camera with me and I'll have this with me.

Some phones have both. Mi 10 Pro + gcam has similar or better DR + it shoots at 27MP (that's after binning).

Anyway, thank you for sharing!  Waiting for some real photos from you (not technical photography).

Pstmstr Contributing Member • Posts: 857

tko wrote:

Here is a SOOC camera shot I took in ProRaw in very dim lighting. As a professional contrarian and almighty Forum Pro I’m sure you will find it worthless so have at it.

Pstmstr's gear list:Pstmstr's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +1 more
Jostian
Jostian Veteran Member • Posts: 4,545

Pstmstr wrote:

tko wrote:

Here is a SOOC camera shot I took in ProRaw in very dim lighting. As a professional contrarian and almighty Forum Pro I’m sure you will find it worthless so have at it.

very good for 1000 iso.

-- hide signature --
 Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Sony a9 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +4 more
BlueCosmo5050

tko wrote:

I'm not sure what you are wanting me to do? I'll go outside and take whatever kind of pic you want. What do you want? I posted a photo to show the dynamic range, scroll up.

However I'll be happy to show other photos if you want.

If you have an HDR monitor I have some really nice looking videos ive taken so far.

Pstmstr Contributing Member • Posts: 857

Another video showing ProRaw versus HEIC files and how they can be edited.
https://youtu.be/NjZr1CUo6aw

Pstmstr's gear list:Pstmstr's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads