ND filters for compact cameras with filter threads?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Racheal50 New Member • Posts: 20
ND filters for compact cameras with filter threads?
1

I just noticed that my S8100 doesn't blow out highlights in video mode like my (new to me) P300.  They use the same sensor and I get much sharper images with the P300, but it blows out the highlights in the same scene.  I think its due to the S8100 having built in ND filters to act as aperture stops (2 step system).  The P300 has actually 6 blade aperture.  Stopping down on the P300 doesn't really help much and just causes deffraction.

So my question is whether or not someone knows a way to add a ND filter to compact cameras like the P300.  Even DYI ideas would be great.  I would rather have the system be as light as possible because its pointing downwards from a tripod.  Thanks.

Nikon Coolpix P300 Nikon Coolpix S8100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,067
Re: ND filters for compact cameras with filter threads?

Can try this,

if you take pictures using jpegs.

To set the Picture Control's Contrast to "(A)uto" (slide the adjuster bar all the way to the left).

Can give this a try and see what results can get.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

....................Cheers, John.....................
.....If I don't respond to your post,.....
...it means you're on my ignore list,..
...................words matter!...................

 jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
sherman_levine
sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 12,590
Re: ND filters for compact cameras with filter threads?

Take a look at the 52mm Magfilter.  It fits on the Lumix pocket cameras so it might fit yours.

-- hide signature --
 sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P950
OP Racheal50 New Member • Posts: 20
Re: ND filters for compact cameras with filter threads?
1

jshen808 wrote:

Can try this,

if you take pictures using jpegs.

To set the Picture Control's Contrast to "(A)uto" (slide the adjuster bar all the way to the left).

Can give this a try and see what results can get.

Cheers!

Thank you for your reply.  However, the camera has no such option of "Picture Control".  I do have some options to alter the image in the menu system while in playback mode.  However none of the options are available for movies.

OP Racheal50 New Member • Posts: 20
Re: ND filters for compact cameras with filter threads?

sherman_levine wrote:

Take a look at the 52mm Magfilter. It fits on the Lumix pocket cameras so it might fit yours.

Thank you for your reply.  That is a interesting product that may be exactly what I need.  I will look more in detail if its compatible with the P300.  Thank you.

jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,067
Re: ND filters for compact cameras with filter threads?

Racheal50 wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

Can try this,

if you take pictures using jpegs.

To set the Picture Control's Contrast to "(A)uto" (slide the adjuster bar all the way to the left).

Can give this a try and see what results can get.

Cheers!

Thank you for your reply. However, the camera has no such option of "Picture Control". I do have some options to alter the image in the menu system while in playback mode. However none of the options are available for movies.

Thanks for your feedback!

In case if you need the P300 camera's pdf manual, can see the below link.

https://cdn-10.nikon-cdn.com/pdf/manuals/kie88335f7869dfuejdl=-cww2/P300_EN.pdf

..

Yes, you're right,

the P300 does not have the "Picture Control".

Can see the below screen captures from the P300 pdf manual.

..

From the given choices of the P300 camera's available settings,

can try to set the Exposure Compensation to the "-0.33" setting,

and to take some test pictures, and to see what results can get.

..

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

....................Cheers, John.....................
.....If I don't respond to your post,.....
...it means you're on my ignore list,..
...................words matter!...................

 jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
OP Racheal50 New Member • Posts: 20
Re: ND filters for compact cameras with filter threads?
1

Thank you,  it's really about the video.  I can change exposure compensation before recording, but the look is not the same.  I guess its just a limitation of the camera.

jshen808
jshen808 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,067
Re: ND filters for compact cameras with filter threads?

Racheal50 wrote:

Thank you, it's really about the video. I can change exposure compensation before recording, but the look is not the same. I guess its just a limitation of the camera.

Yes, for videos, it's better to use a more modern camera, or can use a smartphone.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

....................Cheers, John.....................
.....If I don't respond to your post,.....
...it means you're on my ignore list,..
...................words matter!...................

 jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads