Best starter lenses for X-T4

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
MonkeyClaw Junior Member • Posts: 48
Best starter lenses for X-T4

Hey!

I am trying to decide between the a7iii and the X-T4 and I order to get the full picture I obviously need to consider lenses.

I am not someone who will ever spend £1500 on a lens, no matter how good it is. I see myself possibly buying 3 lenses max - a replacement for the kit lens at some point, a prime for portraits and a travel zoom with an equivalent reach of 240 or 300mm.

Are Fuji X system lenses all really expensive? With the Sony I can at least get some cheaper third party options. Just wondered how much i should expect to spend to get a handful of lenses that will cover me for most general still/video use.

Any advice appreciated.

Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,307
Re: Best starter lenses for X-T4

As with any system, there are cheaper and dearer lenses. You can check the prices in several places.

As for options:

https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/products/lenses/

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +1 more
SpeedyNeo
SpeedyNeo Senior Member • Posts: 1,029

Replacement for kit lens: XF16-80mmF4 OIS for $800, or XF16-55mm (non OIS) for $900 (currently temporarily, regular is $1200)

Portrait lens: Viltrox 85mmF1.8 for $400 or Viltrox 56mmF1.4 for $329

Tele-zoom: XF70-300mm OIS for ?? (Price not announced yet, but expectedly around ~$1000) OR XF55-200mm OIS for $499 (at the moment only.. but regular price is $700)

So your lens triad can range any where from $1629 to $2300

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X-T3 | XF16mmF1.4 | XF35mmF1.4 | XF90mmF2 | Fujifilm X100V | Fujifilm FinePix XP140

SpeedyNeo's gear list:SpeedyNeo's gear list
Fujifilm XP130 Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +1 more
DarnGoodPhotos Forum Pro • Posts: 10,762

Fuji's line of plastic mount XC lenses are good and are ridiculously cheap used. They are generally one stop slower than the more expensive XF lenses and dont have an aperture ring, weather resistance, or OIS switches on the lens.

If you like zooms the 16-55f2.8 is a really excellent standard zoom; it doesn't have OIS, but that doesn't matter on the X-T4. Fuji usually has sales at least once a year and under the current sale it's 300 off. KEH is a good and trustworthy source for used gear and its less there.

A starter strategy would be to get one or two XC zooms for general use and one or two high end lenses for specific uses like low light.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

DarnGoodPhotos's gear list:DarnGoodPhotos's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +2 more
mike lix Senior Member • Posts: 1,359

MonkeyClaw wrote:

Hey!

I am trying to decide between the a7iii and the X-T4 and I order to get the full picture I obviously need to consider lenses.

I am not someone who will ever spend £1500 on a lens, no matter how good it is. I see myself possibly buying 3 lenses max - a replacement for the kit lens at some point, a prime for portraits and a travel zoom with an equivalent reach of 240 or 300mm.

Are Fuji X system lenses all really expensive? With the Sony I can at least get some cheaper third party options. Just wondered how much i should expect to spend to get a handful of lenses that will cover me for most general still/video use.

Any advice appreciated.

There aren ´t many third party AF lenses for Fuji.

-- hide signature --

www.instagram.com/michal.placek.fotograf
www.facebook.com/michal.placek.fotograf
500px.com/mikepl500px

mike lix's gear list:mike lix's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm +3 more
Erik Baumgartner Senior Member • Posts: 3,427

There are some good cheaper options available, but you generally get what you pay for. The image quality comes with the glass, not so much with the camera these days - a heavily discounted X-E3 or used X-T2 will produce images on par with the X-T4, better with a premium lens on them. If you are on a budget and image quality is the primary goal, buy a good lens at the outset (the currently on sale 16-55 f/2.8 being an excellent and very versatile choice). I’m not saying not to buy the X-T4, it’s a great camera and has IBIS, but why invest in a lesser intermediate lens if you’re just going to replace anyway? The glass matters.

Erik Baumgartner's gear list:Erik Baumgartner's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
dontreadthecomments Junior Member • Posts: 45

The X-T4 has some good bundle options that heavily discount the individual lens prices.

As for other lenses, don't discount the second-hand market. Worth looking at both eBay for sold prices and what your local shops are asking. Here in the UK, WEX and Jessops have good used stores that offer warranty and returns (for a small premium over, e.g. eBay).

I've no idea which system has the better used marked.

dontreadthecomments's gear list:dontreadthecomments's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Fujifilm X-S10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
OP MonkeyClaw Junior Member • Posts: 48

dontreadthecomments wrote:

The X-T4 has some good bundle options that heavily discount the individual lens prices.

Yeah, I was looking at the kit with the 16-80. I am going to spend the weekend playing with it so hopefully can finally make an informed decision.

fujiian
fujiian Regular Member • Posts: 476

MonkeyClaw wrote:

Yeah, I was looking at the kit with the 16-80. I am going to spend the weekend playing with it so hopefully can finally make an informed decision.

That's an excellent place to start. If you ever feel the need to upgrade that, the 16-55 is phenomenal. But I've seen a lot of great results with the 16-80.

Might I also throw the 35mm 1.4 in the hat –  got a brand new 'gray market' copy  for $440. Absolutely love that lens.

fujiian's gear list:fujiian's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +4 more

fujiian wrote:

MonkeyClaw wrote:

That's an excellent place to start. If you ever feel the need to upgrade that, the 16-55 is phenomenal. But I've seen a lot of great results with the 16-80.

Might I also throw the 35mm 1.4 in the hat – got a brand new 'gray market' copy for $440. Absolutely love that lens.

I've not got a problem with grey market. In fact I was looking at getting the camera from Panamoz. Unless I get the a7iii kit for 30 quid more...

Alan Hewitt Photo
Alan Hewitt Photo Regular Member • Posts: 163

The new 70-300mm will be along soon! It's lightweight and compact and has a versatile range. Ideal for travelling.

-- hide signature --

Wildlife Photographer, photo safari & workshop guide, freelance writer.
Official FUJIFILM X-Photographer
Formatt-Hitech UK Brand Ambassador
Instagram u/n: alanhewittphoto

Alan Hewitt Photo's gear list:Alan Hewitt Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +1 more
baobob
baobob Forum Pro • Posts: 15,733

For portrait the XF 50mm f 2 is excellent

For travel the 55-200mm zoom is excellent as well

You might also consider the future 70-300mmwhen it is launched...

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
jiminpdx New Member • Posts: 18

I gravitated from Sony to Fuji for the manual controls, weather-resistance, and the company’s commitment to firmware updates. Compared to Sony, you will have fewer lens options, but Fuji lenses all punch above their weight (and price) in terms of build and picture quality. The 18-55mm or 16-80mm kit lenses are both quite good (search for samples on flickr) and you would not go wrong starting with either of them. There are lots of used 16-55mm lenses available; it’s not WR, however. With the X-T4, you can add lenses later according to your need or desire and not worry whether they are stabilized.

jiminpdx's gear list:jiminpdx's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-T4
fujiian
fujiian Regular Member • Posts: 476

jiminpdx wrote:

The 18-55mm or 16-80mm kit lenses are both quite good (search for samples on flickr) and you would not go wrong starting with either of them.

Agreed

There are lots of used 16-55mm lenses available; it’s not WR, however. With the X-T4, you can add lenses later according to your need or desire and not worry whether they are stabilized.

To clarify:

• the 18-55 is stabilized but not weather sealed or constant aperture
  • the 16-55 is constant 2.8 and weather sealed, but is not stabilized
  • the 16-80 is all 3, but constant at f4
 fujiian's gear list:fujiian's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +4 more
Erik Baumgartner Senior Member • Posts: 3,427

jiminpdx wrote:

I gravitated from Sony to Fuji for the manual controls, weather-resistance, and the company’s commitment to firmware updates. Compared to Sony, you will have fewer lens options, but Fuji lenses all punch above their weight (and price) in terms of build and picture quality. The 18-55mm or 16-80mm kit lenses are both quite good (search for samples on flickr) and you would not go wrong starting with either of them. There are lots of used 16-55mm lenses available; it’s not WR, however. With the X-T4, you can add lenses later according to your need or desire and not worry whether they are stabilized.

The 16-55 is WR.

Erik Baumgartner's gear list:Erik Baumgartner's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
Gringostarr Regular Member • Posts: 234

MonkeyClaw wrote:

The 16-80 is a good lens.

It's not a red badge lens or one of the highly regarded primes but fuji kit lenses are widely regarded as being the best kit lenses you can get and the 16-80 continues that.

Since you are looking at the X-T4 with the 16-80 I would strongly recommend adding the 50-140 with the 1.4x teleconverter even though it's right at the top of your price range. Those 2 lenses give you 16-200 (24-300 equivalent) at a constant f4, share the same filter size, plus the 50-140 is an amazing portrait lens on it's own. After that pick your favorite focal length prime so you'll have the option for a much lighter kit since the 50-140 is pretty heavy and the 16-80 while not that heavy is still a bit bulky.

Gringostarr's gear list:Gringostarr's gear list
Fujifilm X-E4 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Venus Laowa 9mm F2.8 +1 more
jiminpdx New Member • Posts: 18

I meant 18-55mm and 16-80mm as good starter lenses, unintentionally writing 16-55mm instead. The later lens is a step up in speed, price, weather-sealing, and heft.

jiminpdx's gear list:jiminpdx's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-T4
Flying Fijian Contributing Member • Posts: 770

MonkeyClaw wrote:

Hey!

Any advice appreciated.

The 16-80 would be a good start...Viltrox 56mm F1.4 for portraits & XC 50-230mm for telephoto...very affordable and great quality. There's a  cheap XC35mm f2 as well with same IQ as the XF version.

Flying Fijian's gear list:Flying Fijian's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more

Bolothegreat wrote:

MonkeyClaw wrote:

Hey!

Any advice appreciated.

The 16-80 would be a good start...Viltrox 56mm F1.4 for portraits & XC 50-230mm for telephoto...very affordable and great quality. There's a cheap XC35mm f2 as well with same IQ as the XF version.

Am I right in thinking the XC lenses are older and don't have AF?

SpeedyNeo
SpeedyNeo Senior Member • Posts: 1,029

MonkeyClaw wrote:

Bolothegreat wrote:

MonkeyClaw wrote:

Hey!

Any advice appreciated.

The 16-80 would be a good start...Viltrox 56mm F1.4 for portraits & XC 50-230mm for telephoto...very affordable and great quality. There's a cheap XC35mm f2 as well with same IQ as the XF version.

Am I right in thinking the XC lenses are older and don't have AF?

No. All the XC lenses are AF, and some are pretty new like the XC35.. released only a few months ago.

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X-T3 | XF16mmF1.4 | XF35mmF1.4 | XF90mmF2 | Fujifilm X100V | Fujifilm FinePix XP140

SpeedyNeo's gear list:SpeedyNeo's gear list
Fujifilm XP130 Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads