USA camera insurance

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Ex Barista
Ex Barista Junior Member • Posts: 42
USA camera insurance

Hi guys I’m an amateur shooter with some nice gear. I want to get coverage for my stuff.

I talked with my current renters insurance company and they’d want me to get an 3rd party appraisal for my equipment (z7 plus 4 lens). That seems like more work then I expected. 
I’m looking for coverage for theft as well as equipment breakage due to drops, water, etc.

I’ve looked in the forums but couldn’t find what I’m looking for.

Can you guys recommend any USA camera insurance companies for an amateur photographer.  Thanks.

Frank

Ex Barista's gear list:Ex Barista's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
masonr Junior Member • Posts: 49
Re: USA camera insurance

I have a separate photo insurance ('personal articles") with State Farm, where I also have house and car insurance.  They don't require an assessment unless you have a claim.  I have receipts going back 40 years, and for a claim (I got robbed some years back) I had the receipts, as well as current internet prices for some items.  They were very good at covering the stolen items.

DenverSteve Contributing Member • Posts: 693

I would recommend looking at other contents/renter's insurance companies.  I would expect a top-tier (American Family, Allstate, State Farm...) company to insure your equipment with a verified schedule up to a specific dollar amount or offer a rider for a nominal cost to add that to your current policy.  Read your policy coverage carefully about coverage for household items that are removed from the home.  If they won't/can't cover it, change companies.

DenverSteve's gear list:DenverSteve's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony RX10 IV Sony a7R II Sony a6500 Sony a7R IV +8 more
ken_in_nh Senior Member • Posts: 1,735

+1

I have insurance through USAA, who are typical of top tier insurers.  They don't require an appraisal, but do require that I state the value when I insure an item.  Recently, they added the capability to upload receipts, but don't yet require it.

I've had two claims over the decades, both due to theft.  Prompt payoff in each case.

Doug J Forum Pro • Posts: 11,299

Ex Barista wrote:

Hi guys I’m an amateur shooter with some nice gear. I want to get coverage for my stuff.

I talked with my current renters insurance company and they’d want me to get an 3rd party appraisal for my equipment (z7 plus 4 lens). That seems like more work then I expected.
I’m looking for coverage for theft as well as equipment breakage due to drops, water, etc.

I’ve looked in the forums but couldn’t find what I’m looking for.

Can you guys recommend any USA camera insurance companies for an amateur photographer. Thanks.

Frank

Did the insurance company provide suggestions for appraisers? It might be as simple as providing receipts & serial numbers. If so, you can get an estimate for the coverage. It's a good time to shop for an insurance company that will provide coverage for everything, compare coverages and prices. Look for a policy that provides payment for the replacement cost, not just the depreciated value.

Cheers,
Doug

Ex Barista
OP Ex Barista Junior Member • Posts: 42

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

We have renters insurance with one of the big national companies and I'm going to look around at other name-brand companies.

Frank

Ex Barista's gear list:Ex Barista's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads