a7C is not compatible with wired remote shutter

Started Nov 16, 2020 | Discussions
Jay Lo
Jay Lo New Member • Posts: 14
a7C is not compatible with wired remote shutter

I was planning to do some long exposures by the sea. I took out my old remote shutter that I have and was looking for an adopting wire to connect it to my a7C.

With other Sony mirrorless(A7R3 A9 A73...), you have the S2 port(Multi/Micro USB Terminal). You can buy a cheap 2.5mm/3.5mm to S2 cable to connect the camera with any remote shutter.

It seems that a7C is not designed to accept a wired remote shutter at all.

There is no S2 port, only micro HDMI and USB-c terminals. I contacted Sony support, and they said that the only compatible remote shutter is the expensive Bluetooth remote commander RMT-P1BT.

I can also use my phone as a remote shutter, but the camera disconnects(even when I set the "always connect" function on) once I leave the app, so I can not use the timer simultaneously and have to be sure that my phone doesn't go to sleep when I am on BULB mode.

I am kinda frustrated with this. Is it not possible to connect the camera with a remote shutter via USB-C port?

Jay Lo's gear list:Jay Lo's gear list
Sony a7C Samyang AF 75mm F1.8 FE Samyang AF 45mm F1.8 FE
Sony a7C
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Nokiron
Nokiron Senior Member • Posts: 1,084
Re: a7C is not compatible with wired remote shutter

There are some third-party ones on Amazon/online. Maybe check those out as options for RMT-P1BT? They are considerably cheaper.

I just grabbed one from the pile here, but JJC has one that seems to be compatible.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JJC-Wireless-DSC-RX100-Replaces-Commander/dp/B08CVH4NWF/

Nokiron's gear list:Nokiron's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony ZV-1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R Sony a7 +17 more
Euell Veteran Member • Posts: 5,438

Jay Lo wrote:

I am kinda frustrated with this. Is it not possible to connect the camera with a remote shutter via USB-C port?

Seems it should be and all recent models are usable with the wired remote.  If Sony designed the A7c, so that it cannot be used with the wired remote, I don't understand the reasoning.

Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony a6500 Sony a7R III Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +17 more
ActionPhotoPassion Senior Member • Posts: 2,299

I have a basic Pixel cord and wireless remote for my Sony with the multiport.

What I noticed is that in wireless mode I can't shoot with a manual timed exposure (meaning bulb > 30 sec). With the cord I can shoot in bulb without time limitation.

I'm wondering if the BT remote of Sony is able to do an exposure with bulb mode on of anything more than 30sec  ?

ActionPhotoPassion's gear list:ActionPhotoPassion's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A58 Sony a7 Sony a77 II Sony a99 II +18 more
Dsnoir
Dsnoir Senior Member • Posts: 1,196

ActionPhotoPassion wrote:

I'm wondering if the BT remote of Sony is able to do an exposure with bulb mode on of anything more than 30sec ?

Yes, I just shot a 3 minuet image.

Another feature for Macro photography that is very welcome, is that with the BT remote you can focus the lens, using the + & - buttons, thus reducing any movement when stacking images for depth of field.

-- hide signature --

GAS - Get Another Sony

Dsnoir's gear list:Dsnoir's gear list
Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +4 more
ActionPhotoPassion Senior Member • Posts: 2,299

Dsnoir wrote:

I'm wondering if the BT remote of Sony is able to do an exposure with bulb mode on of anything more than 30sec ?

Another feature for Macro photography that is very welcome, is that with the BT remote you can focus the lens, using the + & - buttons, thus reducing any movement when stacking images for depth of field.

Ah that's good news here.

The focus stacking via remote is very good trick indeed

ActionPhotoPassion's gear list:ActionPhotoPassion's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A58 Sony a7 Sony a77 II Sony a99 II +18 more
Gao Gao Contributing Member • Posts: 582

Dsnoir wrote:

Another way is to use the mobile app. It even has a toggle switch for bulb exposure.

-- hide signature --

. 。o O o 。 . 。o O o 。 . 。o O o 。 .

Tradarcher New Member • Posts: 3

I just found this out as well (didn't buy the a7c as a result) and I use the RM-VPR1 pretty extensively. I am wondering if anyone with the A7C and the RM-VPR1 remote could get a micro usb to usb c adapter to make the RM-VPR1 work with the a7c?

RDBaum New Member • Posts: 4

Here's the thing--a BT remote (I have two different Sony BT remotes that work just fine on the A7C) doesn't solve the problem when you are using a slider or gimbal for time lapse.  The software for MOZA gimbal and Edelkrone slider both provide a camera trigger output that is synced to shoot once the  motion is paused for the shot.  Trying to sync that up for a three or four hour TL  with a second intervalometer will be impossible.

My A7iii is in repair so I bought the A7C as a stand-in for a shoot this week.  Finding this out is miserable.  Why can't they program the USB C port to accept a trigger pulse?  I get that A7C is a slimmed down version of the A7iii with less room for two ports but surely Sony can find a way...

Has anyone inquired if this might be in a Firmware update down the road?

Very disappointed!

I used the output from my MOZA gimbal to the USB C port on the A7C and it just shut off the camera, at least the back panel display... No Go

AlephNull Veteran Member • Posts: 3,997

Tradarcher wrote:

I just found this out as well (didn't buy the a7c as a result) and I use the RM-VPR1 pretty extensively. I am wondering if anyone with the A7C and the RM-VPR1 remote could get a micro usb to usb c adapter to make the RM-VPR1 work with the a7c?

The "micro-USB" port on a Sony camera has extra pins in it, and the USB-C port doesn't, so it's not a case of making a simple "adapter".

That's not to say it wouldn't be possible, but the "adapter" would have to be an intelligent USB-C device, and have one of those special "micro-USB" sockets. It would probably cost more than the regular wired remote!

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM +5 more
Tristimulus Veteran Member • Posts: 9,753

The A7c can only use a wireless remote controller.

Got me the Sony remote controller when waking up to reality. Find the wireless remote handy and versatile, but that little thing felt a bit nasty until getting adapted.

The built in intervallometer let me take sequences.

The max 30 sec exposure is not an issue (at least not to me), even use max 30 sec for astrophotography (the end result is similar to stacking fewer but longer sub exposures anyway, and yes, have tried out with the A7III and compared the results).

So wired remote - that sems to be the technology of yesterday.

Since my last post, I have talked directly with Sony Pro Support, Moza support, Edelkrone  support and a Sony rep.  The post above is exactly right on--its not just the pin-to-pin interface that is the problem here.

The USB-C high speed data port on the A7C is expecting a digital interface from the Sony Imaging Software through a Mac or PC.  The simple pulse command from a gimbal or slider for bulb exposure, or even triggering the video shoot command is not going to make it to the camera in anyway it can understand.

Think about that for video shooters on a gimbal--you can't initiate the video capture directly from the trigger on the gimbal (with maybe one exception--there is a Ronin to A7C YouTube video out there that shows it working).  Which means that this perfect little camera is going to require a separate controller for video shooting.  Time Lapse is out of the question because of the need to sync the shutter release with the move-stop-shoot sequence.

In looking at the Ronin video as a potential solution, it looks like Ronin has reproduced the video capture sequences that the USB-C port is expecting.  There is no narrative with the YT video that explains all that.  The camera settings are "Computer Control On, USB" shown in the video.  But that would be the solution, to come up with a smart interface and pare it back to just the shutter functions or even develop a BT interface that emulates the Sony BT controller.  All on the backs of the third parties to figure it out, I guess.

Until then, the A7C is the little camera that should if only it would.  But it won't.

Helmut Eder
Helmut Eder Contributing Member • Posts: 504

I currently use a wired remote shutter release with my A7 that allows me to program the duration of the bulb shutter. As far as I can tell, I will not be able to do this any longer with my A7C, which is a shame.

Tristimulus Veteran Member • Posts: 9,753

Helmut Eder wrote:

I currently use a wired remote shutter release with my A7 that allows me to program the duration of the bulb shutter. As far as I can tell, I will not be able to do this any longer with my A7C, which is a shame.

Seems like there are some wireless timer remotes around. Have not figured out wether some of them can be programmed.

Am into astrophotography and limit sub exposures (do stack) to 30 seconds. See no difference when comparing to longer sub exposures.

And happily the A7c has in camera intervallometer.

Implementing wireless connections is cheaper than making physical contacts. So I guess we will se physical contacts vanishing rapidly in the near future.

Have found the Sony wireless remote to be superior to any wired remote. Practical, handy and efficient within the 30 sec exposure limit (which covers nearly everything).

Only drawback in my book is that 30+ sec exposures are now a counting game.

Helmut Eder
Helmut Eder Contributing Member • Posts: 504

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any idea how long the shutter can be remotely pressed for before the battery runs out?

Padi2 Junior Member • Posts: 32

There is a vast difference between stacked and tracked Milky Ways in colour and detail! Well, we can do exposures longer than 30secs easily with most other cameras includibg other Sonys. But the inability to use my wired remote, nor my intervalometer with the A7c in Bulb mode is stopping me to jump on it. This, as well as that it won't sync with flash beyond 1/250 sec, or is it 1/125, with the type of shutter it has. So until there is an upgraded model I'm not buying. An inbuilt flash wouldn't go astray either.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads