An attempt at low angle shots

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,124
An attempt at low angle shots

The Rig

The park that is closest to where I live has a nice large lake with a fancy boardwalk with a variety of birds. I often visit when my time is limited and I don’t have time to get to some of the more choice locations. One of the biggest challenges at this park is that there are few options for getting close to the water. Normally I’d just use my waders and go on into the water but that is forbidden at this particular location, likely because of the alligators.

Pied-billed Grebe

It’s possible to go out on a canoe or kayak but it’s a headache and I don’t own either so not terribly convenient.

The rig in action

I was recently playing around with the camera connect app and my EOS M50 and got an idea. I decided to build a little float from some junk I had laying around in my garage and attached it to a monopod so I can control where it is pointing from the pier. The app allows me to see a live feed on my phone and control the various settings of the camera.

Black-bellied Whistling Duck

Anyway, it took me a little bit to get the hang of doing it but I still managed some shots I like from the first outing.

American Coot curious about the camera

Pied-billed Grebe

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
BirdNPath Forum Member • Posts: 98
Re: An attempt at low angle shots

Pretty cool. I like the Grebe and the Black Belly.

ruley74
ruley74 Contributing Member • Posts: 704

Nice work!

-- hide signature --

I give permission to edit my posted images for the purpose of constructive feedback, if it's not constructive don't bother!
https://www.instagram.com/photos_by_ruley/?hl=en

ruley74's gear list:ruley74's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon D5 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
searching_eyes Senior Member • Posts: 1,220

Whoa, your DIY really pay off. Congrats and well done.

searching_eyes's gear list:searching_eyes's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +4 more
Noah Yap Forum Member • Posts: 89

An interesting idea! I wonder if I should try it too... 

Noah Yap's gear list:Noah Yap's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Nikon D3400 Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR Tamron 100-400mm F4.5-6.3
Gautam Majumdar Forum Pro • Posts: 17,078

Very nice shots with an innovative trick

-- hide signature --

Gautam

ian herridge Senior Member • Posts: 2,482

Great innovation and results.

Underwater next?

OP BirdShooter7 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,124

ian herridge wrote:

Underwater next?

Thanks, underwater does sound pretty interesting but also seems to kick up the difficulty a few notches

-- hide signature --

Some of my bird photos can be viewed here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregsbirds/

cjf2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,138

BirdShooter7 wrote:

ian herridge wrote:

Underwater next?

Thanks, underwater does sound pretty interesting but also seems to kick up the difficulty a few notches

That's a great idea you have posted here. Thanks very much for sharing it. The low angle always has a great impact. I'd love to try it but not sure I could dare put an expensive camera out on the water. I wonder if anyone does a drone boat?

Incidentally with regard to underwater shots see this link to someone who tried putting a Go Pro under water on a long pole/ That might be a relatively cheap and risk free way of giving it a try. Not sure how clear the water is where you are but if it is good enough you might get to see what goes on when those grebes pop out of sight.

cjf2 wrote:

BirdShooter7 wrote:

ian herridge wrote:

Underwater next?

That's a great idea you have posted here. Thanks very much for sharing it. The low angle always has a great impact. I'd love to try it but not sure I could dare put an expensive camera out on the water. I wonder if anyone does a drone boat?

Incidentally with regard to underwater shots see this link to someone who tried putting a Go Pro under water on a long pole/ That might be a relatively cheap and risk free way of giving it a try. Not sure how clear the water is where you are but if it is good enough you might get to see what goes on when those grebes pop out of sight.

Thanks.  There is definitely some risk involved.  That is a really neat idea about the GoPro.  I can think of a few things I’d love to try with that.

-- hide signature --

Red Barchetta
Red Barchetta Senior Member • Posts: 2,284

Seems to work pretty good. So are you just aiming as best you can, focusing and then firing off a bunch of shots and hope that one comes out framed right and usable? The last pic is my favorite.

Red Barchetta's gear list:Red Barchetta's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +5 more
cjf2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,138

Red Barchetta wrote:

So are you just aiming as best you can, focusing and then firing off a bunch of shots and hope that one comes out framed right and usable?

That pretty much sums up what I do all the time!

ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 20,134

Really like how these came out

All really good.

I will have to think about this , next time I shoot.

Low angle, that is.

Stay healthy

ANAYV

Red Barchetta wrote:

Seems to work pretty good. So are you just aiming as best you can, focusing and then firing off a bunch of shots and hope that one comes out framed right and usable? The last pic is my favorite.

The camera connect app gives you a live feed on your phone via Bluetooth.  I can aim the camera looking at the phone screen.  I use the face detect area AF.  When I see the focus boxes are on the head I take a short burst of shots.  The challenge is that while you are actually taking photos the screen doesn’t update so if anything moves you can’t see what’s happening.  For this reason I only take two or three shots at a time.  Thankfully the eye AF actually works fairly well as long as the birds are relatively close.  I’d love to see how it works with a newer camera that actually has animal eye AF but I don’t think I’m ready to dangle such an expensive camera over the water like this.  The M50 and Sigma 100-400 were bad enough.

-- hide signature --

ANAYV wrote:

Really like how these came out

All really good.

I will have to think about this , next time I shoot.

Low angle, that is.

Stay healthy

ANAYV

Low angle really gives nice results.  Thankfully most of the time we don’t have to go to such lengths to get there.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads