Using color gels

Started 5 months ago | Questions
Pixelthinker New Member • Posts: 5
Using color gels

I want to explore using color gels in my photography. Looking online it seems most gel kits include barn doors. Paul Buff for example. I’d prefer to use gels with an umbrella or diffuser so the light fall off isn’t harsh.

What’s the reasoning behind using barn doors with gels?

ANSWER:
Rico Tudor Contributing Member • Posts: 845
Re: Using color gels

No idea what kits you're considering. Barn doors and gels are distinct lighting treatments.

-- hide signature --

Canon, Nikon, Contax RTS, Leica M, Sony, Profoto

JeffSlade
JeffSlade Regular Member • Posts: 496

I use Rosco gels / filters. They may or may not meet your needs.

https://us.rosco.com/en/product/roscolux

JeffSlade's gear list:JeffSlade's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-T1 GoPro Hero7 Black Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +7 more
Klaus dk
Klaus dk Veteran Member • Posts: 7,443

Pixelthinker wrote:

I want to explore using color gels in my photography. Looking online it seems most gel kits include barn doors. Paul Buff for example. I’d prefer to use gels with an umbrella or diffuser so the light fall off isn’t harsh.

Using strobes with barndoors you are still able to use an umbrella. Two problems: you need to punch a hole in the gel for the umbrella shaft and if your model light is incandescent, it must be turned off unless your gel is heat resistant.

You can also just fix the gels to the standard reflector with C-47s. Different strobes are configured differently, so gelling without barndoors can take some ingenuity.

With speedlights you just tape the gel in front of the fresnel lens.

If your main light is a large softbox and the other lights use smaller modifiers, you can gel the smaller lights and shoot raw, and then push the white balance to create a coloured main light.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +15 more
flyinglentris
flyinglentris Senior Member • Posts: 1,347

Pixelthinker wrote:

There are two main reasons for using color filters, either on lenses or on lighting, 1) Color Corrections and 2) Special Effects.

Color Corrections on lighting may be best applied to mixed lighting situations where you need to balance alternate color temperatures from more than two light sources, so that you can better correct in post processing.    Without the adjustments using filters, that task would be nearly impossible.    Note that many will argue that otherwise there is no reason to color filter correct, as the camera has feature built in to do that sort of thing.  But its a photographer,s choice.

Special Effects is ultimately a photographer's choice based on their creative vision of what their results should achieve.

-- hide signature --

"If you are among those who believe that it has all been done already and nothing new can be achieved, you've murdered your own artistry before ever letting it live. You abort it in its fetal state. There is much that has yet to be spoken in art and composition and it grows with the passage of time. Evolving technologies, world environments and ideologies all drive change in thoughts, passion and expression. There is no way that it can all ever be done already. And therein lies the venue for the creative artist, a venue that is as diverse as the universe is unmapped and unexplored." - Quote from FlyingLentris
~
flyinglentris in LLOMA

Klaus dk
Klaus dk Veteran Member • Posts: 7,443

flyinglentris wrote:

Pixelthinker wrote:

There are two main reasons for using color filters, either on lenses or on lighting, 1) Color Corrections and 2) Special Effects.

Color Corrections on lighting may be best applied to mixed lighting situations where you need to balance alternate color temperatures from more than two light sources, so that you can better correct in post processing. Without the adjustments using filters, that task would be nearly impossible. Note that many will argue that otherwise there is no reason to color filter correct, as the camera has feature built in to do that sort of thing. But its a photographer,s choice.

Special Effects is ultimately a photographer's choice based on their creative vision of what their results should achieve.

The Strobist about the colours of ligth ... and there's also a link to an essay by Sara Lando on what she learned by being an assistant to Gregory Heisler for a week.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +15 more
Guillermo Shashte Senior Member • Posts: 1,011

Pixelthinker wrote:

Barndoors are manufactured with gel holders because they are very useful for people who know how to use them and the additional cost for the manufacturer is minimal.

Old school people don't have that problem. Barndoors are used with light panels to create a diffused hard light, a diffused soft light  or anything in between.

For umbrella, just tape the gel over the strobe Fresnel or flash tube, like this:

-- hide signature --

GS

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
FuzzyKeys Regular Member • Posts: 299

I have always wondered about that method. Those gels with the vent holes would be pretty easy to reverse engineer. Is it safe to do with regular Lee and Rosco gels on strobes that have LED modeling lights such as the Godox units?

FuzzyKeys's gear list:FuzzyKeys's gear list
Sony a7 III Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +2 more
Joe Wisenheimer
Joe Wisenheimer New Member • Posts: 17

Pixelthinker wrote:

Barn doors do what barn doors do - shape and flag light.

If you want to change the color, you add a gel.

Buff Light Mods offer a convenient way to add a barn door and / or a gel. Or as has been explained, C47 aka clothes pin a gel to standard 7" reflector.

Want to add an umbrella? Punch a hole in the gel. Still need a reflector or a way to put gel in front of light source.

And lots cheaper to buy like this or this is so you can cut and shape as needed. Not cheap to waste money on no name junk,  buy Lee or Rosco

Dan W Regular Member • Posts: 360

Pixelthinker wrote:

Bard doors are useful if you want to have more control what the light hits. Just depends on what you're doing and how much control you need.

Dan W's gear list:Dan W's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
OP Pixelthinker New Member • Posts: 5

I’ll try that. Thanks.

OP Pixelthinker New Member • Posts: 5

Ok that explains the barn doors then. Thank you! I’ll try gel the method you showed.

JeffSlade
JeffSlade Regular Member • Posts: 496

Pixelthinker wrote:

I found an example where my photography assistant and I were setting up lighting for a shoot where I used primary color gels that drop into the barn door fixtures. The test shot is below.

I used different gels to change the color of the backdrop to see which colors might be complimentary to the person, an Asian woman like my assistant, I would be shooting based upon the outfits she was bringing to the shoot.

I only used gels occasionally but they did add some value from time to time. I preferred to use the appropriate background paper color instead.

JeffSlade's gear list:JeffSlade's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-T1 GoPro Hero7 Black Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +7 more
Rico Tudor Contributing Member • Posts: 845

My example uses gels to balance xenon flash (key) to match the ambient fluorescents (fill):

Gel pack fits into a slot of the lighting fixture. I didn't employ the accessory barndoors for this shot, and they don't hold filters anyway.

-- hide signature --

Canon, Nikon, Contax RTS, Leica M, Sony, Profoto

Ed Shapiro
Ed Shapiro Regular Member • Posts: 368

Coloured gels have a simple function, they colour the light for a strong colour effect, a tint, or a colour correction (cooling or warming) issue.  A company like Rosco has hundreds of colours of clear and diffused gels for a wide variety of effects.

Bard dorrs are meant for light shaping and control- the act as a gobo- a go-between, built on or added to your lighting device to subtract or block part of the beam for more precise control. They are most often use with light units equipped with parabolic reflectors, Fresnel and p[tical; spotlights as these kids of light are aimed directly at the subject. They can be used on softboxes but that can be rather cumbersome.

Oftentimes, the adapter used to attach the barn doors to the lighting unit have a slot to accommodate gels and diffusion materials.

If you want to use gels in conjunction with umbrella bounce techniques you simply add the gel to the primary light unit and aim it into the umbrella so as to fill the reflective area of the umbrella - edge to edge. A richly colour filter will absorb light so you need enough power for adequate practical exposure.  Barn doors usually have no utility in umbrella lighting.

Google Rosco photographic materials and find a local distributor or your nearest supplier. They will send you a free swatch book of sample gels.

Ed Shapiro- Commercial and Portrait Photographer. Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads