Eye AF comparison X-T4 vs Sony A7Rii - from those of you who have used both?

Started 6 months ago | Questions
Somnambulist Squirrel Regular Member • Posts: 151
Eye AF comparison X-T4 vs Sony A7Rii - from those of you who have used both?

Hi all,

Coming from an A7Rii, and considering an X-T4. I realize that the gen 3 and up Sony bodies have improved AF performance over the A7Rii, and that the X-T4 is upgraded in this regard from the X-T3, so I am hoping that someone here may have specifically used both the A7Rii and the X-T4, and can tell me their experience of the two.

If the X-T4 is at least as good as the Rii, then that is likely fine for me (yes, even if it isn't as good as the gen 3 Sony options), as other advantages to the Fuji will play heavily. If it is less good than even my Rii was, then that might encourage me to stay with Sony despite the other advantages for me of the Fuji.

Thanks!

Somnambulist Squirrel's gear list:Somnambulist Squirrel's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm II 7artisans 25mm F1.8 +9 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
fujiian
fujiian Regular Member • Posts: 492
Re: Eye AF comparison X-T4 vs Sony A7Rii - from those of you who have used both?

If AF-C speed, reliability, and sticky tracking are your utmost priority, including Eye-AF for pets, it’s hard to send you anywhere but the Sony’s.

If not, it’s hard to recommend anything but Fuji.

fujiian's gear list:fujiian's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +5 more
(unknown member) New Member • Posts: 14
X-T4 100% over Sony A7Rii

I had the A7Rii for a few years. It was a great camera at the time. But compared to cameras today AF is not quite as good. I used an x-T3 for a while and found it slightly better. The x-T4 is likely improved over that.

Not many realize there is a good different in AF between even Sony’s  current cameras (marketers want you to think there is not). There is a good difference between the A9ii and the A7iii. And the A7riv is a step below the A7iii. Then a slight step down to the A7Riii and a bigger step down to the A7Rii.

If AF was your highest priority I’d say get an R5 or A9ii. But for almost any photographer the x-T4 is more than good enough. I’d pick it over the A7Rii 100% if those were my only 2 choices.

Flying Fijian Contributing Member • Posts: 819
Re: Eye AF comparison X-T4 vs Sony A7Rii - from those of you who have used both?

Yes the XT4 eye af is good enough & should be as good as if not better than A7rii. It's definitely not as good as A7III or the new Canon R5/R6 though.

Other than that the XT4 has many other advantages like awesome sooc jpgs...you can too plenty of quick edits to your raw files in camera like tone curves, clarity, sharpness etc. I've only just started playing around with these & it's great.

Flying Fijian's gear list:Flying Fijian's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
OP Somnambulist Squirrel Regular Member • Posts: 151

Bolothegreat wrote:

Yes the XT4 eye af is good enough & should be as good as if not better than A7rii. It's definitely not as good as A7III or the new Canon R5/R6 though.

Other than that the XT4 has many other advantages like awesome sooc jpgs...you can too plenty of quick edits to your raw files in camera like tone curves, clarity, sharpness etc. I've only just started playing around with these & it's great.

This is helpful, thanks! I can go with either - the A7iii or switch over to the XT4 - for about the same overall cost. The eye AF in the A7Rii was mostly adequate for my uses, so any improvement will be nice. The various ergo and functionality of the Fuji are weighing heavily in my thinking. I’m hoping to go put my hands on one this week next to an a7iii and see which way I want to go.

Sony Alpha NEX-3N Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm II 7artisans 25mm F1.8 +9 more
GabrielFFontes Contributing Member • Posts: 692

fujiian wrote:

If AF-C speed, reliability, and sticky tracking are your utmost priority, including Eye-AF for pets, it’s hard to send you anywhere but the Sony’s.

This is an A7Rii we’re talking about. An X-T3 or X-T4 will crush it on AF easily.

GabrielFFontes's gear list:GabrielFFontes's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR
Rmcp20 Senior Member • Posts: 1,494

Somnambulist Squirrel wrote:

Hi all,

Coming from an A7Rii, and considering an X-T4. I realize that the gen 3 and up Sony bodies have improved AF performance over the A7Rii, and that the X-T4 is upgraded in this regard from the X-T3, so I am hoping that someone here may have specifically used both the A7Rii and the X-T4, and can tell me their experience of the two.

If the X-T4 is at least as good as the Rii, then that is likely fine for me (yes, even if it isn't as good as the gen 3 Sony options), as other advantages to the Fuji will play heavily. If it is less good than even my Rii was, then that might encourage me to stay with Sony despite the other advantages for me of the Fuji.

Thanks!

You should also be considering the lenses you want.

I can see you have a Sony 85mm f1.8. There is not real equivalent in Fuji at that price point, except for the Viltrox 56mm 1.4 which although a bit smaller, its a worst performer i would say. Not so good corners and slower AF. Also no function button in the lens.

The Fuji 56mm 1.2 is almost 1000USD.

Also the equivalent for the Samyang 35mm 2.8 is the Fuji 23mm f2. I would say they are similar, although the Fuji is more expensive and a bit longer (not really much tbh).

If you want to get budget telephoto zooms, there is where an APS-C system still has advantages. Fuji has the 55-200 which is very good optically and seels around 500-600USD, while for Sony you will have to pay around 700-800 for the cheapest telephoto zoom.

Sigma and Tamron are adding very good options with the Sigma 100-400 or the Tamron 70-300, both selling at around 700-900 USD. Of course they are bigger being FF lens.

Rmcp20's gear list:Rmcp20's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm 50-230mm II Tamron 100-400mm F4.5-6.3 +3 more

Rmcp20 wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks!

I can see you have a Sony 85mm f1.8. There is not real equivalent in Fuji at that price point, except for the Viltrox 56mm 1.4 which although a bit smaller, its a worst performer i would say. Not so good corners and slower AF. Also no function button in the lens.

Also the equivalent for the Samyang 35mm 2.8 is the Fuji 23mm f2. I would say they are similar, although the Fuji is more expensive and a bit longer (not really much tbh).

If you want to get budget telephoto zooms, there is where an APS-C system still has advantages. Fuji has the 55-200 which is very good optically and seels around 500-600USD, while for Sony you will have to pay around 700-800 for the cheapest telephoto zoom.

Sigma and Tamron are adding very good options with the Sigma 100-400 or the Tamron 70-300, both selling at around 700-900 USD. Of course they are bigger being FF lens.

I've built out multiple shopping carts for lens kits both ways, based on my budget, so I feel like I have comparable options either way, that I am mostly happy with. I am still toying with whether, if I go Fuji, to stick with my typical 3 primes or to go with the 16-55 2.8 zoom and a 90. I think I would likely move to the 90 in the Fuji system, from the files I have seen, and I regularly use (and like) an equivalent focal length 135 with my Sony.

I am, also, hoping that Sigma will come out with X mount versions of their excellent APS-C primes, should I go to Fuji, which would be a fine reason to wait on picking up the 56.

Thoughts on the 18-55 plus a fast 16, vs the 16-55, or 3 primes?

fujiian
fujiian Regular Member • Posts: 492

Thoughts on the 18-55 plus a fast 16, vs the 16-55, or 3 primes?

16-55 has fantastic IQ and autofocus.

Never much liked the 18-55 but plenty of people do and it's stabilized.

16mm 1.4 is great but you might want to go wider sometime.

Personally, my favorite primes are 14, 16, 35 1.4, and 50 f2.

GabrielFFontes wrote:

fujiian wrote:

This is an A7Rii we’re talking about. An X-T3 or X-T4 will crush it on AF easily.

My mistake.

fujiian's gear list:fujiian's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +5 more
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 19,355

Rmcp20 wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks!

I've built out multiple shopping carts for lens kits both ways, based on my budget, so I feel like I have comparable options either way, that I am mostly happy with. I am still toying with whether, if I go Fuji, to stick with my typical 3 primes or to go with the 16-55 2.8 zoom and a 90. I think I would likely move to the 90 in the Fuji system, from the files I have seen, and I regularly use (and like) an equivalent focal length 135 with my Sony.

I am, also, hoping that Sigma will come out with X mount versions of their excellent APS-C primes, should I go to Fuji, which would be a fine reason to wait on picking up the 56.

We can all hope for this as well as there zooms.  It seems that Sigma is likely to support X mount on there Mirrorless lens line. These are the most modern lenses in Sigma's catalog some of which may be based on there full frame lenses.

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C XF 90mm Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +12 more
lazerbean Regular Member • Posts: 219

I've been through two copies of the 18-55mm now. It doesn't take knocks too well. Fantastic value while it works though, as a kit lens.

But if it keeps breaking at the rate is has for me until now, then it is going to be expensive in the long run. Both my copies still work, but they are no longer reliably sharp, so it is obvious that something is out of whack.

I guess it depends on how much and how hard you expect to use it though.

I'm now debating the 16-55 vs. the 16-80 myself. The 16-55 is probably going to hold up better, heavier and more solid build, but the range of the 16-80 is tempting. Hard choice.

Raymond L
Raymond L Regular Member • Posts: 265

Experience:

I currently own Sony A7rii & Fuji XT-3 (with the latest firmware).

-eye AF is much better on the Fujifilm

-AF-C is much better on the Fujifilm

Context:

-I shoot my toddler running around wide open, but camera bodies are fine (for my style "candid")

-My tolerance is pretty high (I am "OK" if 15% of my shots are OOF if there is action

Considerations:

-I think yes the body makes a huge difference (Fujifilm) however the Sony lenses are far superior in terms of AF speed with a more modern AF design (source: refer to Fujifilm official recommendation of lenses for video AF-C)

-AF speed will vary depending what lens you plan to use

Raymond L's gear list:Raymond L's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 IV Leica M9 Nikon D800 Sony a7R II +24 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads