Around Page, AZ

Started 5 months ago | Photos
wigginski Regular Member • Posts: 358
Around Page, AZ

We recently did a road trip to Utah, Arizona and Colorado, taking in a number of National Parks. Rather than a mega post I have made one for each location. Your thoughts, questions and critique is welcome.

wigginski's gear list:wigginski's gear list
Nikon D7200 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +2 more
KENTGA Veteran Member • Posts: 7,065
Re: Around Page, AZ

I looked at all of your posts and enjoyed them but I think this is my fav and GC is my least fav. Enjoyed the others. GG needs some PP'ing.

Thanks for posting.

Kent

KENTGA's gear list:KENTGA's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more
ThrillaMozilla Veteran Member • Posts: 5,438

I agree with KENTGA.  These are VERY nice.  Some of the others are rather more ordinary, to be blunt.

ThrillaMozilla's gear list:ThrillaMozilla's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1
OP wigginski Regular Member • Posts: 358

Thanks Kent. I think you're right re GC and thanks for taking the time to look and comment. The slot canyon was the favourite hike.

Nikon D7200 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +2 more

I agree. The ordinary ones are some of the standard shots. These were more unique.

MrSee
MrSee Senior Member • Posts: 1,810

Very nice set

-- hide signature --

Jim from Ontario Canada
Fuji X-H1
Fuji 18-55 2.8-4

MrSee's gear list:MrSee's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1
creative edge
creative edge Senior Member • Posts: 1,634

I will be there next month, how do you get to the slot canyon. Looks like a great hike..

Great images by the way

-- hide signature --

It's the wire pass trail. All of the other slot canyons are in Navajo parks, which are shut.

This is the trail:

https://www.alltrails.com/explore/map/wire-pass-trail-ffeed84?p=-1

It's about 8 miles down a rough dirt track. Don't even think about it if it's rained!

AZheaven Senior Member • Posts: 1,689

Just be aware that the entire Navajo Nation is in lockdown. According to the list on their website I didn't see Page/Lake Powell. Grand Canyon is only accessible via State Rt. 64 from I-40 in Williams or the 180 through Flagstaff. The East Rim/Desert View entrance is closed.

Yeah, no boat trips on lake Powell, but you can rent a boat if you want. Wire Pass/ Buckskin Gulch is on BLM land so it's all good. The trailhead is the same place as the wave.

creative edge
creative edge Senior Member • Posts: 1,634

thanks for all the great info

-- hide signature --

wigginski wrote:

Yeah, no boat trips on lake Powell, but you can rent a boat if you want. Wire Pass/ Buckskin Gulch is on BLM land so it's all good. The trailhead is the same place as the wave.

There are other slot canyons in the area. But I can't find any updated info on them. There is a road that takes you just beyond the Wave, and it's visible from the road. But I think you can only access it from the UT. side off of 89. And a friend went here and said it's an easy drive according to him.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Grosvenor+Arch/@37.4062407,-112.065868,10z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x51b3548f793ed36!8m2!3d37.456404!4d-111.8315502

I saw a TV show about the Vermillion Cliffs Plateau where you can take a tour or I think if you have a 4 wheel drive you can get there yourself. Can't find the show after searching. But found this video if anyone is interested. It's not the Wave, which is nearly impossible to get in to. But it's in the same general area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_kOBK2ZsIE

gavin
gavin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,952

Wow very cool. Nice pics

-- hide signature --
 gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +5 more
Mward1226 Regular Member • Posts: 149

One of my favorite parts of the country for hiking and photography.  There are a couple of location to shoot hoodoos off of Rt 89.

We did the wave in November of 2017 and the road to the Wirepass trailhead had some serious ruts, it had rained a few days before..  We had a Ford Edge with all wheel drive and had a few issues, but made the drive ok.  I would be careful if using just a passenger car.  Maybe someone who has been there recently can give you a road update.

Please respect the Navajo Nation shutdown, they are very susceptible to the virus and they have very few ICU beds in their facilities.

Enjoy your trip and be safe.

Mward1226's gear list:Mward1226's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +9 more
1Dx4me Forum Pro • Posts: 10,874

with all due respect, these are pretty prosaic shots for those locations. however, i like the colors in these photos. looks like it was a fun visit for ya

-- hide signature --

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence!

Mward1226 wrote:

One of my favorite parts of the country for hiking and photography. There are a couple of location to shoot hoodoos off of Rt 89.

We did the wave in November of 2017 and the road to the Wirepass trailhead had some serious ruts, it had rained a few days before.. We had a Ford Edge with all wheel drive and had a few issues, but made the drive ok. I would be careful if using just a passenger car. Maybe someone who has been there recently can give you a road update.

Please respect the Navajo Nation shutdown, they are very susceptible to the virus and they have very few ICU beds in their facilities.

Enjoy your trip and be safe.

After this virus calms down, if you or anyone make it back to AZ, I highly recommend Coal Mine Canyon south of Tuba City. I call it our mini Bryce Canyon because of the hoodoos!

And a little ways past Horseshoe Bend and the bridge that crosses Waterhole Canyon on the left side of the road is a couple of rock formations that resemble waves frozen in time. Pretty cool area to wander. And a nice big area to park safely. Also as you are climbing the hill there is a dirt parking lot you can safely park and wander around the rock formations there. I used to take my lunch there when I would drive the freight up to the Page FedEx driver. You get an unobstructed view of the Vermillion Cliffs.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads