Monument Valley

Started 5 months ago | Photos
mfinley
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 4,877
Re: Monument Valley
1

AZheaven wrote:

I drove into Utah and to Mexican Hat. Yes, it's pretty cool, as is the un-named apparently, mountain formations behind it. But I wouldn't say it beat out Monument Valley by a long shot.

I would agree. Comparing the thousands of square miles north of Monument Valley filled with incredible rock formations, slot canyons, mesa tops, literally, 100,000s Indian petroglyphs and pictographs, accessible ruins that are over 2000 years old all that you can access without fees and unimpeded by anyone, to driving your car around Mexican hat would be a disappointment.

That is like saying you didn't really find the Grand Canyon that great because you drove through the gate and took a picture in front of the Grand Canyon sign and then left.

Here is my advice - instead of trying to defend Monument Valley, how about finding out what this guy Mike is talking about being so great north of Monument Valley? You might learn something, expand your opportunities, find a new place to explore with freedom without crowds or a controlled Disney experience and create some fantastic experiences and memories in the process, and return here one day and say you know what, I had no idea what he was talking about, but I'm so glad I looked into it.

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
MrSee
MrSee Senior Member • Posts: 1,810
Re: Monument Valley

Nice set. No 1 is very special. The colour. 👍

-- hide signature --

Jim from Ontario Canada
Fuji X-H1
Fuji 18-55 2.8-4

 MrSee's gear list:MrSee's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1
OP wigginski Regular Member • Posts: 358
Re: Monument Valley

Thanks Jim, really appreciate it.

 wigginski's gear list:wigginski's gear list
Nikon D7200 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +2 more
gnet158 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,082
Re: Monument Valley

I was there in May, you had much better skies that I did.  It was the same, everything closed.

-- hide signature --

I got to get out and shoot more.

 gnet158's gear list:gnet158's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7100 Nikon Z6 Nikon D3 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +3 more
AZheaven Senior Member • Posts: 1,689
Re: Monument Valley

mfinley wrote:

AZheaven wrote:

I drove into Utah and to Mexican Hat. Yes, it's pretty cool, as is the un-named apparently, mountain formations behind it. But I wouldn't say it beat out Monument Valley by a long shot.

I would agree. Comparing the thousands of square miles north of Monument Valley filled with incredible rock formations, slot canyons, mesa tops, literally, 100,000s Indian petroglyphs and pictographs, accessible ruins that are over 2000 years old all that you can access without fees and unimpeded by anyone, to driving your car around Mexican hat would be a disappointment.

That is like saying you didn't really find the Grand Canyon that great because you drove through the gate and took a picture in front of the Grand Canyon sign and then left.

Here is my advice - instead of trying to defend Monument Valley, how about finding out what this guy Mike is talking about being so great north of Monument Valley? You might learn something, expand your opportunities, find a new place to explore with freedom without crowds or a controlled Disney experience and create some fantastic experiences and memories in the process, and return here one day and say you know what, I had no idea what he was talking about, but I'm so glad I looked into it.

This whole are of north and north east AZ is just full of adventure. More than one can do in a life time. Especially the Lake Powell area with it's numerous side canyons, etc. And then there is Utah!!!

We took a family member to the Grand Canyon about 10 years ago for his first trip to AZ. We were taking pictures of him at the entrance sign before the entrance gate. Someone pulled up and asked us if we wanted to buy their pass they just paid $20 for. $10...sure! We didn't have a yearly park pass, shame on me...They said they were driving back to NJ and wanted to see the Grand Canyon. They spent 20 mins. there. I've heard some say "yeah, big deal, it's just a big hole in the ground!"

mfinley
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 4,877
Re: Monument Valley
1

AZheaven wrote:

it's just a big hole in the ground!

Well, you can't deny that. 

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
MOD rick decker Forum Pro • Posts: 17,404
Re: Monument Valley
1

In general I would agree with you. From the standpoint of strongest iconic images which knock your socks off when on display, Monument Valley has the best. And the best is in a very compact area (like The Wave) which makes it very convenient in addition.

The areas around it are beautiful and lots of opportunity for strong images. All of which should be seen at least once.  However much more expansive introducing a whole host of new issues the least of which is being at the right place at the right time (Just like life).

-- hide signature --

You have my express consent to edit any of my images that I post on DPR. If you want to edit an image that does not belong to me that I have edited and posted, you need to contact the owner.
---
http://www.lightreflection.com
http://www.rickswavepics.com

AZheaven Senior Member • Posts: 1,689
Re: Monument Valley

mfinley wrote:

AZheaven wrote:

it's just a big hole in the ground!

Well, you can't deny that.

I took my mom and her boyfriend/companion to the Grand Canyon years ago. We walked into Vercamps when it was a gift shop. My moms companion said it "was a big hole in the ground"...the girl at the counter replied, "you must watch a lot of golf!"

MOD rick decker Forum Pro • Posts: 17,404
Re: Monument Valley

Hi Mike:  sounds like you have a lot of experience hiking and photographing in the area north of Monument Valley.  I was trying to find a web site for you but only found a Mike Finley from UK.

Do you have a web site and are there any shots of Cedar Mesa and the area around it?  I  plan a trip next spring  and would love to get some new ideas?

Thanks

Rick

-- hide signature --

You have my express consent to edit any of my images that I post on DPR. If you want to edit an image that does not belong to me that I have edited and posted, you need to contact the owner.
---
http://www.lightreflection.com
http://www.rickswavepics.com

mfinley
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 4,877
Re: Monument Valley

No website.

Are you considering Grand Gulch and Comb Ridge too or just Cedar Mesa?

Are you familiar with any of these sites?
Shieks Canyon
Bullet Canyon
Slickhorn Canyon
Moon House Ruins
Collins Canyon
The Citadel
Mule Canyon South-House on fire ruin
Mule Canyon North
The Lower Butler Wash Road trails
Butler wash panel and River house ruins
Natural Bridges National Monument

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
MOD rick decker Forum Pro • Posts: 17,404
Re: Monument Valley

Natural Bridges

House on Fire

Fallen Roof

Mexican Hat

Goosenecks

Valley of the Gods

Moki Dugway

Muley Point

Smiley Face Ruins

Comb  Ridge (lookout and down and around somewhat)

-- hide signature --

You have my express consent to edit any of my images that I post on DPR. If you want to edit an image that does not belong to me that I have edited and posted, you need to contact the owner.
---
http://www.lightreflection.com
http://www.rickswavepics.com

mfinley
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 4,877
Re: Monument Valley

What you can do is copy and paste some of those places I listed into Google and do an image search and see if any of them interest you. Any of the ones that do, let me know which ones I can send you specific info in a PDF with trailheads, GPS points, specific hiking and photography details.

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
MOD rick decker Forum Pro • Posts: 17,404
Re: Monument Valley

Thanks...I have been developing a list.  Got plenty of time as I am not flying to the mainland until it is considered "safe" to do so without wearing a mask.  Maybe spring and if not maybe next fall.  Then the issue of getting there for best light.  Then the issue of  "knowing" the area.  Will check in with you for advice when things get to the point of planning a trip.  I probably should do a large map with "Pins".

I was thinking that when covid  is over, a group landscape shoot might be a possibility.  Meet in LV or Moab or Zion.  When Sigma first came out we did that for 3 or 4 years at PMA.

-- hide signature --

You have my express consent to edit any of my images that I post on DPR. If you want to edit an image that does not belong to me that I have edited and posted, you need to contact the owner.
---
http://www.lightreflection.com
http://www.rickswavepics.com

SierraHiker Junior Member • Posts: 46
Re: Monument Valley

mfinley wrote:

What you can do is copy and paste some of those places I listed into Google and do an image search and see if any of them interest you. Any of the ones that do, let me know which ones I can send you specific info in a PDF with trailheads, GPS points, specific hiking and photography details.

Thanks for sharing!!

 SierraHiker's gear list:SierraHiker's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro +2 more
creative edge
creative edge Senior Member • Posts: 1,634
Re: Monument Valley

thanks for the list, I will be out there in about a week.

-- hide signature --
AZheaven Senior Member • Posts: 1,689
Re: Monument Valley

creative edge wrote:

thanks for the list, I will be out there in about a week.

Just be aware, the Navajo Nation is still locked down. Monument Valley, Antelope Canyon, etc. still closed. As is Canyon de Chelly. Horseshoe Bend is open last I heard.

https://www.navajo-nsn.gov/

Hwy. 64 off of the 89 leading to the East side of the Grand Canyon, Desert View is still closed as well. The only way to the Grand Canyon is near Williams off of the 40.

Wupatki and Sunset Crater are open. As is Petrified National Forest. As far as I know, all the Utah NP's are open.

Good luck on your trip! Hope you see some sites!

creative edge
creative edge Senior Member • Posts: 1,634
Re: Monument Valley

AZheaven wrote:

creative edge wrote:

thanks for the list, I will be out there in about a week.

Just be aware, the Navajo Nation is still locked down. Monument Valley, Antelope Canyon, etc. still closed. As is Canyon de Chelly. Horseshoe Bend is open last I heard.

https://www.navajo-nsn.gov/

Hwy. 64 off of the 89 leading to the East side of the Grand Canyon, Desert View is still closed as well. The only way to the Grand Canyon is near Williams off of the 40.

Wupatki and Sunset Crater are open. As is Petrified National Forest. As far as I know, all the Utah NP's are open.

Good luck on your trip! Hope you see some sites!

we will be driving from Moab to Page, are the roads through there closed?

-- hide signature --
OP wigginski Regular Member • Posts: 358
Re: Monument Valley

Roads should be open. They were when we were there a few months ago when Navajo nation was shut. Did you decide on a slot canyon to check out?

 wigginski's gear list:wigginski's gear list
Nikon D7200 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +2 more
Platographer Regular Member • Posts: 459
Re: Monument Valley

wigginski wrote:

We recently did a road trip to Utah, Arizona and Colorado, taking in a number of National Parks. Rather than a mega post I have made one for each location. Your thoughts, questions and critique is welcome.

Unfortunately due to COVID this is as close as we could get to Monument Valley

Very nice! That's kind of silly that you couldn't get closer because of COVID, which wouldn't spread among a few people far apart in the desert. That's like the most inhospitable situation for COVID that involves a human presence.

mfinley
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 4,877
Re: Monument Valley
1

creative edge wrote:

we will be driving from Moab to Page, are the roads through there closed?

You will be on state highways, they don't close for Covid.

Detour through Valley of the Gods on your way south, like a smaller version of Monument Valley, but free, open 24 hrs, stunning early morning or late afternoon.

Just got done hiking Horseshoe canyon, Goblin Valley, Little Wild Horse Slot Canyon, now hiking around Moab and will be heading to Bluff through Montezuma Canyon. Planning on going through Valley of the Gods if time allows before heading home. Been an interesting week hiking all day in 15-30F temperatures, but the upside is we have had most places to ourselves.

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads