Monument Valley

Started 5 months ago | Photos
wigginski Regular Member • Posts: 358
Monument Valley

We recently did a road trip to Utah, Arizona and Colorado, taking in a number of National Parks. Rather than a mega post I have made one for each location. Your thoughts, questions and critique is welcome.

Unfortunately due to COVID this is as close as we could get to Monument Valley

wigginski's gear list:wigginski's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +2 more
RUcrAZ
RUcrAZ Veteran Member • Posts: 6,722
Re: Monument Valley

Your 5-second exposure is something rare. I hope you took many more, it would make an interesting series, rarely seen. Sorry you missed going into the valley, been there 4 times, unforgettable, I've missed going there again in the Spring, but there is always 2021 I hope.

AZheaven Senior Member • Posts: 1,697

RUcrAZ wrote:

Your 5-second exposure is something rare. I hope you took many more, it would make an interesting series, rarely seen. Sorry you missed going into the valley, been there 4 times, unforgettable, I've missed going there again in the Spring, but there is always 2021 I hope.

Was in MV in May of 2019. Can't wait to go back. Our weather was so un-AZ like for the end of May! Snow, rain, hail...but it was still fun! With the Navajo Rez on lockdown it looks like it will be 2021 but mid summer maybe..

mfinley
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 4,884

wigginski wrote:

We recently did a road trip to Utah, Arizona and Colorado, taking in a number of National Parks. Rather than a mega post I have made one for each location. Your thoughts, questions and critique is welcome.

I like the first one a lot.

Maybe not such a loss overall. It's nice to go to Monument Valley at least once, but for pure adventure and beauty for exploration and photography, everything you want is north of Monument Valley - Mexican Hat, Bluff & Blanding hold a lot more than Monument Valley can dream of and hardly anybody knows it, and all without the draconian controls limiting you and Disney like experiences.

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
MOD rick decker Forum Pro • Posts: 17,425

Nice work and very unusual perspectives.  Must have a patient wife/partner

-- hide signature --

You have my express consent to edit any of my images that I post on DPR. If you want to edit an image that does not belong to me that I have edited and posted, you need to contact the owner.
---
http://www.lightreflection.com
http://www.rickswavepics.com

punman Regular Member • Posts: 387

Sounds like you had fun. I was there a few years ago. Arrived late afternoon, terrible wind and  blowing sand. Returned next day before sunrise and got some nice shots from the parking lot before crowds appeared.

Your first one is my favourite.

gavin
gavin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,954

Nice series.

-- hide signature --
 gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +5 more
OP wigginski Regular Member • Posts: 358

Thanks man, I was setting up for sunrise and I saw a school bus coming along and managed to get the shutter speed set in time! I thought it would be unusual and I'm happy with how it turned out.

Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +2 more

Yeah. We were driving down with the kids in the back wanting dinner. Managed to persuade her to let me get some shots.

Thank you. Managed to get the light at just the right time and the dust blowing arcoss the road as an added bonus

RUcrAZ
RUcrAZ Veteran Member • Posts: 6,722

After I sent my note, I realized that I had forgotten how rare is the traffic on those roads, so it would take a multiple of photos, composite (a couple of hours' at night), to get enough traces. Still, a very unusual shot. Sometimes the spur of the moment photos are the best!

jaggedhorizon Senior Member • Posts: 2,549

Very nice series. The first one is quite special - a view many take, but few turn it into such a spectacular photo.

jaggedhorizon's gear list:jaggedhorizon's gear list
Sony a7R III
john559 Forum Member • Posts: 84

mfinley wrote:

Maybe not such a loss overall. It's nice to go to Monument Valley at least once, but for pure adventure and beauty for exploration and photography, everything you want is north of Monument Valley - Mexican Hat, Bluff & Blanding hold a lot more than Monument Valley can dream of and hardly anybody knows it, and all without the draconian controls limiting you and Disney like experiences.

I hate to disagree but MV is far from a contrived experience.  I first visited in 1981 when it was still under the domain of the National Parks.  Its only right that this iconic place be

given back under the governance of the Navajo nation.  The restrictions on going beyond the public 17 mile loop (which is spectacular) is because the land is privately owned now and provides an income source to the tribe.  I have stayed in a Navajo ho'gan onsite, the View hotel and camped on Hunt's Mesa, there is plenty to do and see and I have no objection to paying for the privilege, the same as anywhere else in the world. Yes, you cannot buy alcohol or lottery tickets in the Navajo nation including Mexican Hat because of their history of being exploited, I do not consider that draconian at all.

FredInMN1 Contributing Member • Posts: 605

Also consider Mystery Valley, south of Monument Valley, when it opens again.  Need a guide, of course, but on a busy fall day, saw only 1 other vehicle during a many hour tour.  Scenery just as spectacular, image is of The Saucers.

FredInMN1's gear list:FredInMN1's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Sony DSC-RX0 Leica M Typ 240 Nikon D500 Nikon D7500 +16 more
mfinley

john559 wrote:

mfinley wrote:

I hate to disagree but MV is far from a contrived experience. I first visited in 1981 when it was still under the domain of the National Parks. Its only right that this iconic place be

given back under the governance of the Navajo nation. The restrictions on going beyond the public 17 mile loop (which is spectacular) is because the land is privately owned now and provides an income source to the tribe. I have stayed in a Navajo ho'gan onsite, the View hotel and camped on Hunt's Mesa, there is plenty to do and see and I have no objection to paying for the privilege, the same as anywhere else in the world. Yes, you cannot buy alcohol or lottery tickets in the Navajo nation including Mexican Hat because of their history of being exploited, I do not consider that draconian at all.

I think you've given a good description of the historic background, but it doesn't change the reality of the experience of visiting there.

When they haul out the guy on the horse for you to take pictures of on John Ford point.... that there is one trail you are allowed on, everything really interesting is only accessible via paid tour...hey, it's theirs to do as they want. I wonder how far away they are from establishing markings for our tripod legs to go.

I'm not saying don't go, I only said it wasn't such a giant loss that he couldn't get in. As I said it's nice to go to Monument Valley at least once, but for pure adventure and beauty for exploration and photography, everything you want is north of Monument Valley.

To each their own, some people enjoy seeing only what someone else allows them to see while riding a segway, others enjoy exploring a slot canyon without a refreshment and souvenir stand at the entrance.

-- hide signature --
1Dx4me Forum Pro • Posts: 10,890

very nice rendition and compositions! i like that time of the day (dusk), it produces some awesome colors. thanks for posting.

-- hide signature --

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence!

I agree about the slot canyons. We had friends who went through antelope canyon last year and said it was absolutely rammed with people and guides set up all the photos. Fortunately for us covid meant we couldn't go so instead we went to the wire pass trail into Buckskin Gulch. This was a lot quieter and no guides to tell me what to photo.

jaggedhorizon wrote:

Very nice series. The first one is quite special - a view many take, but few turn it into such a spectacular photo.

Thank you! I wanted to get something a bit different and the light made it work. I just pushed the shutter button!

mfinley

wigginski wrote:

I agree about the slot canyons. We had friends who went through antelope canyon last year and said it was absolutely rammed with people and guides set up all the photos. Fortunately for us covid meant we couldn't go so instead we went to the wire pass trail into Buckskin Gulch. This was a lot quieter and no guides to tell me what to photo.

Real nice one.

I'm heading back to Utah in Dec, might hit Wildhorse and Crack canyons, both have slot portions and enjoyable by anyone with any hiking ability and I'm sure I'll be able to sit all day long if I wanted to in the same place enjoying the lightshow which you could never experience in Antelope.

-- hide signature --
AZheaven Senior Member • Posts: 1,697

mfinley wrote:

wigginski wrote:

I like the first one a lot.

Sounds like you had something happen to you in Monument Valley??

Monument Valley is an amazing experience. It's controled for a reason. To give the Navajo some income, and to preserve the surrounding areas from tourists that really don't care. I've been to Disney Land in CA and many times to Disney World in FL when I lived there. Monument Valley is nature at it's best, not human nature at it's worst.

I drove into Utah and to Mexican Hat. Yes, it's pretty cool, as is the un-named apparently, mountain formations behind it. But I wouldn't say it beat out Monument Valley by a long shot. We took the 17 mile loop road. I drove the posted speed limit (I always do in the Grand Canyon or other parks). But there were weiners in the bunch tailgaiting me. Yes, the Navajo residents and tour guides are strict, they stopped me when I was walking a short distance to get a better angle for a photo. But understood when I politely explained what I was doing.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads