Lightroom file size/ Is this normal

Started Nov 13, 2020 | Questions
AmateurJoewho Junior Member • Posts: 30
Lightroom file size/ Is this normal

I used to use Capture NX-D (the free one from Nikon) amd the output JPEG file was 11-13 Megabytes

Now with Lightroom, I have max 7-8

Is this normal?

I set it as high quality 300 dpi and everything

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 18,639
What camera do you have?

AmateurJoewho wrote:

I used to use Capture NX-D (the free one from Nikon) amd the output JPEG file was 11-13 Megabytes

Is this normal?

With my 24MP D750, I usually save at 80% quality and get JPG files around 6MB in size. Bumping the quality up to maximum, the file goes to 15MB, which is the same size that I get in Photoshop at quality 12.

The DPI setting does nothing since it doesn't change the number of pixels in the image.

Are you telling Lightroom to lower the image resolution?

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 17,896
Normal

AmateurJoewho wrote:

Is this normal?

Yes it is normal. JPEGs can be saved with a variable amount of compression. You can change the JPEG quality settings in Lightroom: try something closer to 100%

Dots per inch, by themselves, have nothing whatsoever to do with file size.

What matters is total megapixel size, the amount and kind of compression used, and the complexity of the image itself. There are a few other factors as well.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads