Disqualified Challenge Entry

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
vinnieb50
vinnieb50 Junior Member • Posts: 37
Disqualified Challenge Entry

Trying to find an answer to :-

How can I find out why an image (entitled "Antartic Blue") I submitted to the "Snow" challange was disqualified? I read the rules (before submission and after disqualification notice) and can't see that I have broken any. The link with the disqualification notice just came up with "ERROR".

I can't see on the website anywhere to make an "appeal".

Any ideas please...either why or how to find out officially? Thanks

cjf2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,151
Re: Disqualified Challenge Entry
1

You can click on the name of the host then on send private message. 
It seems obvious, however, that your picture includes some human beings which is against the rule in the challenge description  just below the title (rather than the list of rules.)

vinnieb50
OP vinnieb50 Junior Member • Posts: 37
Re: Disqualified Challenge Entry

Hi Thanks for your reply. yes, I see it now....but I missed it before. My mistake was reading the "FULL RULES" which made no mention of humans.

Thanks once again

Regards

Vince

David Omara Forum Member • Posts: 76
Re: Disqualified Challenge Entry
17

Unfortunately you entered a By Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants challenge, and for me he has shown over time to be a sub-standard host. Most notably in the way he deals with people who miss a rule.

I feel that there are two things that hosts should really do when people inadvertently break a rule.

  • State clearly why your entry was DQ. Simply stating 'ERROR' is quite idiotic from my point of view.
  • As I've seen other hosts do, they should disqualify entries before the voting phase commences. That way allowing people to resubmit and rectify their mistake.

The dismissive and condescending way that By Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants deals with people that miss a rule is really not becoming of a representative of DPR.

cjf2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,151
Re: Disqualified Challenge Entry
5

vinnieb50 wrote:

Hi Thanks for your reply. yes, I see it now....but I missed it before. My mistake was reading the "FULL RULES" which made no mention of humans.

Thanks once again

Regards

Vince

Many people don’t read the rules so some hosts try to stick some important requirements right in your face beneath the title. In this case hidden in plain sight! 
Now you know how to send a personal message if it happens again you’ll find if you send a polite question that way you’ll get a polite response. 
I can see you are new here so let me ask you to remember this host is a human being with feelings and do not fall in with the cyber abuse you’ll see in this forum. This host is quirky, sometimes grumpy and has some unpopular views he’s not ashamed to put forward but that makes him interesting and adds some colour to the challenges. 
I’ve been entering challenges for 8 years now and this host ( in more than one identity) has had a couple of challenges a week for all that time and presumably before that too. That over 800 challenges he’s set up and monitored for free. That deserves respect. 
I was disqualified by him once and In doing so I found out when he asks for landscape he refers not only to the subject but also he wants the long side to be on the horizontal. Other than that read his rules and often lengthy introduction and take or select an image from you back catalogue that fits them. I found it has widened my subject matter, something that is not true of all hosts.

I hope you stick around and enjoy you time here.

Bill Thoo Regular Member • Posts: 402
Re: Disqualified Challenge Entry
2

cjf2 wrote:

vinnieb50 wrote:

Hi Thanks for your reply. yes, I see it now....but I missed it before. My mistake was reading the "FULL RULES" which made no mention of humans.

Thanks once again

Regards

Vince

Many people don’t read the rules so some hosts try to stick some important requirements right in your face beneath the title. In this case hidden in plain sight!
Now you know how to send a personal message if it happens again you’ll find if you send a polite question that way you’ll get a polite response.
I can see you are new here so let me ask you to remember this host is a human being with feelings and do not fall in with the cyber abuse you’ll see in this forum. This host is quirky, sometimes grumpy and has some unpopular views he’s not ashamed to put forward but that makes him interesting and adds some colour to the challenges.
I’ve been entering challenges for 8 years now and this host ( in more than one identity) has had a couple of challenges a week for all that time and presumably before that too. That over 800 challenges he’s set up and monitored for free. That deserves respect.
I was disqualified by him once and In doing so I found out when he asks for landscape he refers not only to the subject but also he wants the long side to be on the horizontal. Other than that read his rules and often lengthy introduction and take or select an image from you back catalogue that fits them. I found it has widened my subject matter, something that is not true of all hosts.

I hope you stick around and enjoy you time here.

I agree.  I won't condone all of this hosts behaviours, but there are very few people who actually put their hand up to host a challenge, yet there are huge numbers who complain.

 Bill Thoo's gear list:Bill Thoo's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon PowerShot D10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +2 more
By standing on the Shoulders of Giants Contributing Member • Posts: 570
Re: Disqualified Challenge Entry
3

cjf2 wrote:

vinnieb50 wrote:

Hi Thanks for your reply. yes, I see it now....but I missed it before. My mistake was reading the "FULL RULES" which made no mention of humans.

Thanks once again

Regards

Vince

Many people don’t read the rules so some hosts try to stick some important requirements right in your face beneath the title. In this case hidden in plain sight!
Now you know how to send a personal message if it happens again you’ll find if you send a polite question that way you’ll get a polite response.
I can see you are new here so let me ask you to remember this host is a human being with feelings and do not fall in with the cyber abuse you’ll see in this forum. This host is quirky, sometimes grumpy and has some unpopular views he’s not ashamed to put forward but that makes him interesting and adds some colour to the challenges.
I’ve been entering challenges for 8 years now and this host ( in more than one identity) has had a couple of challenges a week for all that time and presumably before that too. That over 800 challenges he’s set up and monitored for free. That deserves respect.
I was disqualified by him once and In doing so I found out when he asks for landscape he refers not only to the subject but also he wants the long side to be on the horizontal. Other than that read his rules and often lengthy introduction and take or select an image from you back catalogue that fits them. I found it has widened my subject matter, something that is not true of all hosts.

I hope you stick around and enjoy you time here.

Thanks for defending me. I wasn't going to reply to this thread, but your generosity of your kind words and honesty touched me. Please, see for yourself what I wrote in each of the 4 DQ messages.

Well, is anyone going to do something about that post which leveled fake accusations and name calling at me (which has 8 people liking it)? That's right, no one. But it's ok, I'm unshakeable 😊. Like water off a duck's back.

Btw, please don't send me a personal message. DPR has crippled my ability to reply a private message. And not all my forum posts are visible either. If you see this post, it means the moderator has approved it.

 By standing on the Shoulders of Giants's gear list:By standing on the Shoulders of Giants's gear list
FinePix S1 Canon EOS 40D Sony Alpha NEX-5
cjf2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,151
Re: Disqualified Challenge Entry
2

Your welcome. As I say, your efforts over the years have been huge.

If you look at your disqualification messages, though, I hope in retrospect you will see that your message to the OP was rather brief and uninformative even compared with the other three. You did use the word Human on the other three but his just said "Read."  I know some people seem to deliberately flout rules but it seems here the OP missed the stipulation about not having humans in the picture but checked the listed rules. I enjoy your scene setting descriptions but people have a variable level of ability to extract information from complicated text. Especially as people here are not all fluent in English.  In the UK it is said that 25% of people are functionally illiterate and I find as I get older I find it harder to make myself concentrate on detailed letters from the tax man etc. I know you are not paid to do this but a slightly longer explanation might be more helpful and appear less abrupt. "No human to be visible in image," perhaps.

But yes I know people then argue that they are very small and hardly show!

Anyway keep up the good work and I'm sorry if I infringe your rules in the future.

vinnieb50
OP vinnieb50 Junior Member • Posts: 37
Re: Disqualified Challenge Entry

Thank you for your reply.

Vince

vinnieb50
OP vinnieb50 Junior Member • Posts: 37
Re: Disqualified Challenge Entry

Hi, I would just add - and really this is no way getting at you but it is ironic that I read and complied with the full rules: and the rule I "broke" wasn't listed there.

Regards

Vince

New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 5,141
Re: Disqualified Challenge Entry
3

vinnieb50 wrote:

Hi, I would just add - and really this is no way getting at you but it is ironic that I read and complied with the full rules: and the rule I "broke" wasn't listed there.

Regards

Vince

The introduction/description forms part of the rules.

You didn't exclude humans from the shot.

 New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D50 Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Fujifilm X-T1 +13 more
Barry Twycross Veteran Member • Posts: 3,973
Re: Disqualified Challenge Entry
1

New Day Rising wrote:

vinnieb50 wrote:

Hi, I would just add - and really this is no way getting at you but it is ironic that I read and complied with the full rules: and the rule I "broke" wasn't listed there.

Regards

Vince

The introduction/description forms part of the rules.

You didn't exclude humans from the shot.

That's the theme. If an image doesn't comply with the theme it has no business being entered in a challenge. It's just a waste of time on the host's part, and just shows disrespect from the putative entrant.

@vinnieb50 why did you enter an image which did not comply with the theme of the challenge?

If an image doesn't comply with one of the other rules, that's a different matter. For me any other rules are more about administration of the challenge, and delivery of the image. The theme is the one thing an image absolutely must comply with to be a valid entry.

Sometimes themes are less clear, and sometimes a matter of opinion. Sometimes they're mathematically provable. Most of mine are mathematically provable, it still doesn't stop images being entered which can be proven not to qualify.

 Barry Twycross's gear list:Barry Twycross's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Fujifilm GFX 50R Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 +9 more
Bill Thoo Regular Member • Posts: 402
Re: Disqualified Challenge Entry
2

New Day Rising wrote:

vinnieb50 wrote:

Hi, I would just add - and really this is no way getting at you but it is ironic that I read and complied with the full rules: and the rule I "broke" wasn't listed there.

Regards

Vince

The introduction/description forms part of the rules.

You didn't exclude humans from the shot.

That's pretty definitive, Vince. I'm not sure it would be overly helpful to go too hard at you for this post as this was clearly an oversight rather than a blatant disregard for the rules. An apology to the host would be appropriate, though.

 Bill Thoo's gear list:Bill Thoo's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon PowerShot D10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +2 more
vinnieb50
OP vinnieb50 Junior Member • Posts: 37
Re: Disqualified Challenge Entry

If you feel that it would appropriate to apologise to the host then please go ahead and do so, but I don't really see why you should.

WRITTEN WITH TONGUE IN CHEEK

David Omara Forum Member • Posts: 76
Re: Disqualified Challenge Entry
6

Bill Thoo wrote:

...An apology to the host would be appropriate, though.

You and others have totally missed the reason for this thread!

If vinnieb50 was given the correct response and a simple explanation when he was originally disqualified he would never have started it!

Anybody that enters a challenge can easily miss a rule and many at some time or the other have done that. What should not happen is the host gives an unhelpful and dismissive response. If this had been the first time then that might be understandable but how many threads have been started because of this hosts frankly sub standard administration of his challenges. One can but imagine how bad the problem really is as most people subject to his poor behaviour will not start a thread here.

The whole reason for this thread being started in the first place is just the abject response and woefully inadequate reply from By Standing On The Shoulder of Giants after he DQ an entry.

Even @cjf2 has stated that By Standing On The Shoulder of Giants should have responded differently even though he initially defended him. Though yet there is no admission from BSOTSOG or acknowledgement that he is even in part at fault.

Before retiring I spent my career in HR and BSOTSOG comes across as someone we would refer to as a 'bad egg'. My reason for saying that is a while back after I initially defended BSOTSOG by saying:

"...That being said, on the other side he does consistently put them out, when it can't be the easiest thing to continually do. Many previous challenge hosts (like RuthC) unfortunately have not been able to continue and some of his are quite enjoyable.

I would do as others have said and just ignore the lack of politeness and either enter or not but at least you now know what to expect."

I then had a look through some of his posts and noticed an unsavory theme. Here he is calling our resident sleuth and defender of Challenges, Tasad, a liar...

The fact that he has come in here stating my post should be deleted because it is 'false' when everything I stated can quite easily be proven to be fact just speaks volumes. After I posted in the 'DPR is censoring my challenges' thread someone sent me a PM and detailed a rather disturbing encounter with BSOTSOG. I will not post it here, though I would not be surprised if there were quite a few more people here with a similar experience.

So this is not a case of 'cyberbullying' but more a case of 'calling someone out' for repeated poor behaviour and responses. In the same way you would not say that Harvey Weistein was being bullied because people reported their experience with him or defend him because he produced nearly 200 movies, some of them excellent.

While I applaud the inclination to defend hosts due to their seeming difficulty to find and maintain. I suspect this particular host is one that this forum would be on the whole better off without. The fact that DPR are now censoring his challenges would seem to tie in with that.

In closing, have a read of this thread here from RuthC after BSOTSOG last tried to 'retire' and wipe his slate before rejoining. See how fair she was to him in spite of the vitriol he would later give to her. Note the comments and how little has changed in that time.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3948839#forum-post-57057639

Bill Thoo Regular Member • Posts: 402
Re: Disqualified Challenge Entry

David Omara wrote:

Bill Thoo wrote:

...An apology to the host would be appropriate, though.

You and others have totally missed the reason for this thread!

If vinnieb50 was given the correct response and a simple explanation when he was originally disqualified he would never have started it!

Anybody that enters a challenge can easily miss a rule and many at some time or the other have done that. What should not happen is the host gives an unhelpful and dismissive response. If this had been the first time then that might be understandable but how many threads have been started because of this hosts frankly sub standard administration of his challenges. One can but imagine how bad the problem really is as most people subject to his poor behaviour will not start a thread here.

The whole reason for this thread being started in the first place is just the abject response and woefully inadequate reply from By Standing On The Shoulder of Giants after he DQ an entry.

Even @cjf2 has stated that By Standing On The Shoulder of Giants should have responded differently even though he initially defended him. Though yet there is no admission from BSOTSOG or acknowledgement that he is even in part at fault.

Before retiring I spent my career in HR and BSOTSOG comes across as someone we would refer to as a 'bad egg'. My reason for saying that is a while back after I initially defended BSOTSOG by saying:

"...That being said, on the other side he does consistently put them out, when it can't be the easiest thing to continually do. Many previous challenge hosts (like RuthC) unfortunately have not been able to continue and some of his are quite enjoyable.

I would do as others have said and just ignore the lack of politeness and either enter or not but at least you now know what to expect."

I then had a look through some of his posts and noticed an unsavory theme. Here he is calling our resident sleuth and defender of Challenges, Tasad, a liar...

The fact that he has come in here stating my post should be deleted because it is 'false' when everything I stated can quite easily be proven to be fact just speaks volumes. After I posted in the 'DPR is censoring my challenges' thread someone sent me a PM and detailed a rather disturbing encounter with BSOTSOG. I will not post it here, though I would not be surprised if there were quite a few more people here with a similar experience.

So this is not a case of 'cyberbullying' but more a case of 'calling someone out' for repeated poor behaviour and responses. In the same way you would not say that Harvey Weistein was being bullied because people reported their experience with him or defend him because he produced nearly 200 movies, some of them excellent.

While I applaud the inclination to defend hosts due to their seeming difficulty to find and maintain. I suspect this particular host is one that this forum would be on the whole better off without. The fact that DPR are now censoring his challenges would seem to tie in with that.

In closing, have a read of this thread here from RuthC after BSOTSOG last tried to 'retire' and wipe his slate before rejoining. See how fair she was to him in spite of the vitriol he would later give to her. Note the comments and how little has changed in that time.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3948839#forum-post-57057639

As I said, I'm not defending all this hosts behaviours and actions.  But in this specific case the entry was clearly appropriate to DQ, and a complaint about it in open forum deserves to be apologised for.  I have no issue in calling out bad behaviour, and particularly when so well evidenced.  This particular thread isn't a great example of it.

 Bill Thoo's gear list:Bill Thoo's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon PowerShot D10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +2 more
David Omara Forum Member • Posts: 76
Re: Disqualified Challenge Entry
6

Bill Thoo wrote:

As I said, I'm not defending all this hosts behaviours and actions. But in this specific case the entry was clearly appropriate to DQ, and a complaint about it in open forum deserves to be apologised for. I have no issue in calling out bad behaviour, and particularly when so well evidenced. This particular thread isn't a great example of it.

Yes, though you and others were treating the OP as if he had come in here purely disputing his disqualification, when his very first line was "How can I find out why an image ... was disqualified". After it was pointed out to him why, his very next post was "...my mistake..."

Though the real takeaway is that It was purely down to the sub standard hosting of the challenge that he had to ask 'Why?' here in the first place.

Bill Thoo Regular Member • Posts: 402
Re: Disqualified Challenge Entry

David Omara wrote:

Bill Thoo wrote:

As I said, I'm not defending all this hosts behaviours and actions. But in this specific case the entry was clearly appropriate to DQ, and a complaint about it in open forum deserves to be apologised for. I have no issue in calling out bad behaviour, and particularly when so well evidenced. This particular thread isn't a great example of it.

Yes, though you and others were treating the OP as if he had come in here purely disputing his disqualification, when his very first line was "How can I find out why an image ... was disqualified". After it was pointed out to him why, his very next post was "...my mistake..."

Though the real takeaway is that It was purely down to the sub standard hosting of the challenge that he had to ask 'Why?' here in the first place.

Yes, I can see that too.

 Bill Thoo's gear list:Bill Thoo's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon PowerShot D10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads