S95 - RX100 - now?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Hemuli New Member • Posts: 2
S95 - RX100 - now?

I have owned in the past several DSLRs but never really liked to carry them around.

When Canon S95 was published I got excited and bought it. It was so easy to carry always with me, was a delight to use. And yes - I took some very nice photos with it.

After some years my son dropped it. RX100 was just announced and I then bought it as a replacement. Well - I have snapped some great quality photos with it. But - it has never been as fun to use as S95 was. And especially the skin tones lack something compared to Canon colours.

I have used RX100 less and less over the years do to this and one day I thought maybe I sell it away and buy something else.

What would be your recommendation? Criteria:

- truly pocketable camera (preferably maximum the same size as RX100 mark I)

- Colour tone like S95

- Preferably a lot control over settings

- 1 inch sensor

Would it be G9x mark ii? But it looks more like a phone than camera in terms of controls. Then again, G7 and G5 are bigger... Or some Panasonic?

I am also ok to go with some older used cameras.

Thanks in advance!

Sue Anne Rush
Sue Anne Rush Senior Member • Posts: 1,716
Re: S95 - RX100 - now?

Enjoy your cameras .....

Some of the older cameras are great to carry around .....

Post some pictures :)))

Hemuli wrote:

I have owned in the past several DSLRs but never really liked to carry them around.

When Canon S95 was published I got excited and bought it. It was so easy to carry always with me, was a delight to use. And yes - I took some very nice photos with it.

After some years my son dropped it. RX100 was just announced and I then bought it as a replacement. Well - I have snapped some great quality photos with it. But - it has never been as fun to use as S95 was. And especially the skin tones lack something compared to Canon colours.

I have used RX100 less and less over the years do to this and one day I thought maybe I sell it away and buy something else.

- Colour tone like S95

- 1 inch sensor

Would it be G9x mark ii? But it looks more like a phone than camera in terms of controls. Then again, G7 and G5 are bigger... Or some Panasonic?

Thanks in advance!

Sue Anne Rush's gear list:Sue Anne Rush's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Canon EOS 7D
CMCM Senior Member • Posts: 5,908

I went from the S95 to the G7Xii a couple of years ago. The G9x was slightly smaller and more like the S95, but I preferred the added features and controls of the G7Xii. I've been very happy with it. I especially wanted this camera because its f1.8 lens works great in low light, such as museums etc. I'm pretty happy with it, overall.

The G7Xii was upgraded to a G7Xiii after I bought mine but I don't like the new one as much and don't see any real reason to upgrade. One thing I really like about my G7Xii is how solidly and beautifully it is made, just a really nice form factor.  The S95 was a slippery little thing, whereas the G7Xii has a nice grip on it so it's easier to hold and shoot with. I always felt the S95 was a bit too small.

CMCM's gear list:CMCM's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Nikon D500 Canon G7 X II Nikon Coolpix P950 Nikon D5600 +17 more
IWBF
IWBF Regular Member • Posts: 245

Hemuli wrote:

I had a S90 and had the same experience as you: Always there, fun, good pics.

I had an RX100 as well and again: I had the same experience. IQ was very, very good. Controls were there but cumbersome and hard to find. I found it too heavy as well and sold it.

Then I had a G7X I. IQ was very good (maybe a notch below the Sony but good enough for me). Controls were easily accessible, the tilt screen was a joy. Overall a very capable camera and fun to use as well. However I sold it because it still was a bit to big and heavy for my taste. I would probably have kept it if it was my only camera.

- Colour tone like S95

- 1 inch sensor

So I ended up with a G9X II. It is truly pocketable. It has an 1 inch sensor. It has a picture style called "portrait" that delivers nice skin tones. If these are not to your liking you can create your own picture style in "Picture Style Editor" and upload them into the camera which has 3 free spots for your own creations (this does only work on Windows, Macs are not supported!).

The zoom starts at the same 28mm as your S95 but reaches only 84mm and the aperture will be 4.9 at that point. This is the weak point IMHO but OK for me.

Controls: Everything can be controlled on the G9X II. The question is: Are you OK with touchscreens? For me it comes very naturally to adjust the settings by swiping and pointing. Let's say you are in A mode: You press the Q button to access all settings you want to change (these are user defined). Then you frame and change the aperture with the lens ring if needed. Once you get used to it it is quick and easy.

The G9X II is my always with me fun point and shoot. It does not cover everything I want to do so I have more cameras for that.

Thanks in advance!

prisms Regular Member • Posts: 176

Hemuli wrote:

- Colour tone like S95

- 1 inch sensor

Thanks in advance!

I would recommend the G5X MK2 hands down, it is pocketable, comparable to the latest RX100 but with a much faster lens and has an EVF which in my experience enhances the whole shooting experience. G7X mk3 is similar but more geared towards vloggers.

prisms's gear list:prisms's gear list
Canon G5 X II
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 19,098
Me too: S95 -> RX100

I still have the wonderful little S95 I bought almost 9 years ago. Still looks and works great. In 2018 I bought an RX100m1.5 (RX100 with the new 2.0 firmware), but then the control wheel stopped working. I have owned 3 Sony cameras (A700, A100, RX100) and all 3 in a short time developed control wheel problems. I have owned many cameras from Canon, Olympus, Panasonic, Pentax, etc. and none of them had problems. All 3 of my Sony cameras are paperweights though. Here is my RX100 review with comparisons to the S95 -- before the control wheel died:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64461755

And an update after the control wheel problem:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64529737

For a tiny camera that is similar the G9X and G9XII look pretty good. Or I may just go back to using my S95. I have other cameras to use when I want something bigger and more flexible.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Supisiche Contributing Member • Posts: 678
Re: Me too: S95 -> RX100

Henry Richardson wrote:

I still have the wonderful little S95 I bought almost 9 years ago. Still looks and works great. In 2018 I bought an RX100m1.5 (RX100 with the new 2.0 firmware), but then the control wheel stopped working. I have owned 3 Sony cameras (A700, A100, RX100) and all 3 in a short time developed control wheel problems. I have owned many cameras from Canon, Olympus, Panasonic, Pentax, etc. and none of them had problems. All 3 of my Sony cameras are paperweights though. Here is my RX100 review with comparisons to the S95 -- before the control wheel died:

For a tiny camera that is similar the G9X and G9XII look pretty good. Or I may just go back to using my S95. I have other cameras to use when I want something bigger and more flexible.

Many of my Sony cameras had control wheel problems

chrisby
chrisby Regular Member • Posts: 282

IWBF wrote:

Hemuli wrote:

I had a S90 and had the same experience as you: Always there, fun, good pics.

I had an RX100 as well and again: I had the same experience. IQ was very, very good. Controls were there but cumbersome and hard to find. I found it too heavy as well and sold it.

Then I had a G7X I. IQ was very good (maybe a notch below the Sony but good enough for me). Controls were easily accessible, the tilt screen was a joy. Overall a very capable camera and fun to use as well. However I sold it because it still was a bit to big and heavy for my taste. I would probably have kept it if it was my only camera.

• truly pocketable camera (preferably maximum the same size as RX100 mark I)
  • Colour tone like S95
  • Preferably a lot control over settings
  • 1 inch sensor

So I ended up with a G9X II. It is truly pocketable. It has an 1 inch sensor. It has a picture style called "portrait" that delivers nice skin tones. If these are not to your liking you can create your own picture style in "Picture Style Editor" and upload them into the camera which has 3 free spots for your own creations (this does only work on Windows, Macs are not supported!).

The zoom starts at the same 28mm as your S95 but reaches only 84mm and the aperture will be 4.9 at that point. This is the weak point IMHO but OK for me.

Controls: Everything can be controlled on the G9X II. The question is: Are you OK with touchscreens? For me it comes very naturally to adjust the settings by swiping and pointing. Let's say you are in A mode: You press the Q button to access all settings you want to change (these are user defined). Then you frame and change the aperture with the lens ring if needed. Once you get used to it it is quick and easy.

The G9X II is my always with me fun point and shoot. It does not cover everything I want to do so I have more cameras for that.

Thanks in advance!

I fully agree and can confirm what IWBF wrote, had also the S95 and now the G9X II among some other Canons. You have to be a bit careful not to change settings accidentally due to touch screen (e.g. auto ISO), but in general I am very happy.

-- hide signature --

Chris
-
“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Airman's Odyssey -
http://www.dpreview.com/members/5712270407/challenges

chrisby's gear list:chrisby's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon G3 X Canon G9 X II Canon G1 X III +8 more
Ed B
Ed B Forum Pro • Posts: 11,161

Hemuli wrote:

- Colour tone like S95

- 1 inch sensor

Thanks in advance!

I don't really think there is an actual pocket camera currently made other than, maybe, the Ricoh GR series cameras (not 100% sure about them because I've never owned one)

Everything else that's decent is either too heavy to be carried comfortably in a pocket, a little too big, or has an automatic lens cover that will be damaged if it's carried in a pocket.

The S90 and S95 were great little cameras but I can't think of anything like them that's made today.

I have a Sony RX100V and the image quality is excellent but it's not a pocket camera, no matter what anyone might say.

The first thing I was told after buying it was that it needed to be carried in a pouch or case because carrying it in a pocket would damage the lens cover.

Almost defeats the purpose of having such a small camera.

VideoRanger Forum Member • Posts: 82

I bought a G5X II to replace an S100 that developed pop-up flash problems.  I am very happy with it.  It is larger than the S100 so won't fit comfortably in pants pockets but will fit in a jacket pocket. I carry mine in a belt pouch the same as I did with the S100,

VideoRanger's gear list:VideoRanger's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS RP Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +9 more
OP Hemuli New Member • Posts: 2

Thank you all for your valuable comments! I nearly bought G9mkII but don't really like the idea that more or less everything is controlled through touch screen...

Well, then I accidentally stumbled on a bargain offer for a Panasonic TZ70/ZS90 and bought it. I thought that I'll keep RX100 for the time being for low-light things and try if I like panasonic's compacts (I used them last time around 2005).

But let's see - my mind might change very fast about RX100 if there are good deals on Black friday

prisms Regular Member • Posts: 176

And I bought the G5xm2 for $600 and couldn’t be happier.

prisms's gear list:prisms's gear list
Canon G5 X II
IWBF
IWBF Regular Member • Posts: 245

Hemuli wrote:

Thank you all for your valuable comments! I nearly bought G9mkII but don't really like the idea that more or less everything is controlled through touch screen...

Well, then I accidentally stumbled on a bargain offer for a Panasonic TZ70/ZS90 and bought it.

😂 That was unexpected. You got us here. Have fun and happy shooting!

I thought that I'll keep RX100 for the time being for low-light things and try if I like panasonic's compacts (I used them last time around 2005).

But let's see - my mind might change very fast about RX100 if there are good deals on Black friday

Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 19,098
Sony control wheel problems

Supisiche wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

In addition to my multiple poor experiences with Sony cameras and your report of multiple Sony control wheel problems I have seen manyother reports on dpreview and other forums.  All camera brands have occasional failures, but Sony, I think, has a particularly bad problem with regards to the design or parts they use for the control wheels on their various cameras.  I told my wife recently that if I ever say anything about buying another Sony that she should bonk be on the head with a baseball bat.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Supisiche Contributing Member • Posts: 678
Re: Sony control wheel problems

Henry Richardson wrote:

Supisiche wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

In addition to my multiple poor experiences with Sony cameras and your report of multiple Sony control wheel problems I have seen manyother reports on dpreview and other forums. All camera brands have occasional failures, but Sony, I think, has a particularly bad problem with regards to the design or parts they use for the control wheels on their various cameras. I told my wife recently that if I ever say anything about buying another Sony that she should bonk be on the head with a baseball bat.

I don't know what was Sony thinking when designing wheel parts. It's one of the mysteries of life

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads