Z50 First Impressions

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
BobbyTee Regular Member • Posts: 173
Z50 First Impressions

IT'S FAST!  Lens left extended, sleep mode, one shutter press wakes the camera and takes the first shot in one second.  Grab shots are possible as quickly as they appear.  (Fuji X-E3 with 15-45 zoom takes three seconds from shutter press to wake up and extend the lens, then requires a second shutter press to take a picture.)

Large, bright EVF with 20mm eye relief.  Easy to shoot rangefinder-style with both eyes open, noise isn't smudging the LED display.

Some lagging in focus tracking in low light.

Perfect fit for my hands, everything is done with the right hand.  Good size and weight.

Lens can stay extended in sleep mode.

Manual focus with no buttons or menu diving, just turn the ring.

Manual zoom, with markings showing the focal length!

No button clutter.  Markings are big enough and easy to read.

My first real camera was a Nikon S, bought in Japan in 1960, followed by an F bought in Viet Nam in 1965, many other Nikons, a recent detour into Fuji Land, now back to Nikon, and it feels like home.

(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 189
Re: Z50 First Impressions

BobbyTee wrote:

IT'S FAST! Lens left extended, sleep mode, one shutter press wakes the camera and takes the first shot in one second. Grab shots are possible as quickly as they appear. (Fuji X-E3 with 15-45 zoom takes three seconds from shutter press to wake up and extend the lens, then requires a second shutter press to take a picture.)

Large, bright EVF with 20mm eye relief. Easy to shoot rangefinder-style with both eyes open, noise isn't smudging the LED display.

Some lagging in focus tracking in low light.

Perfect fit for my hands, everything is done with the right hand. Good size and weight.

Lens can stay extended in sleep mode.

Manual zoom, with markings showing the focal length!

No button clutter. Markings are big enough and easy to read.

My first real camera was a Nikon S, bought in Japan in 1960, followed by an F bought in Viet Nam in 1965, many other Nikons, a recent detour into Fuji Land, now back to Nikon, and it feels like home.

Congratulations and welcome back!

Cheers,
Bernard

bolthead
bolthead Regular Member • Posts: 143

Welcome back, and thank you for your service.

bolthead's gear list:bolthead's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +6 more
Toxdox42 Regular Member • Posts: 443

Welcome to the group of us who fell in love with this marvelous little camera!

I bought my first Nikon, a Nikorrmat, in 1967, i managed to out together just enough funds to buy it. Like you, in bought an F2 while serving in the Navy in 1971. I moved through several small, mostly point and shoot, cameras then ended up with. d3400 2 years ago and the Z50 was a second camera to take on a safari in February, just before covid. It is now a "walk around" camera for me. With the pancake lens folded it actually fits in my coat pocket!

Toxdox42's gear list:Toxdox42's gear list
Nikon D3400 Nikon Z50
StevenN Senior Member • Posts: 1,406

BobbyTee wrote:

IT'S FAST! Lens left extended, sleep mode, one shutter press wakes the camera and takes the first shot in one second. Grab shots are possible as quickly as they appear. (Fuji X-E3 with 15-45 zoom takes three seconds from shutter press to wake up and extend the lens, then requires a second shutter press to take a picture.)

I agree, it's a great camera. My first "real" camera also was a Nikon S, given to me by an older cousin in the U.S. Navy who had been stationed in Japan.

I also had a Nikon FE, F3, D70, D750 ... and many other brands in between. I still have my late father's F2, which is displayed prominently on a shelf.

While I use my D750s for paid photo jobs, my Z50 is my every day & travel camera. I wish Nikon would make some fast DX primes for it.

-- hide signature --

StevenN

StevenN's gear list:StevenN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D750 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon Z50 +10 more
2yota Regular Member • Posts: 114

BobbyTee wrote:

Congrats on your new Z50.  One more tip (if you haven't already figured it out) is if you hold the "back button focus" or half press the shutter button while you rotate the manual focus ring, it will ALSO automatically engage focus peaking to assist  you on the focus adjustments.   I love using this technique when shooting at night or whenever I have to manually over-ride focusing.

2yota's gear list:2yota's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon Coolpix P340 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +11 more
Qbalion
Qbalion Contributing Member • Posts: 566

Good to hear that you like it!

I've had pretty similar observations after switching back from Sony a6000! And the most charming is how good and sharp are the kit lens!

Still I am tempted for FX prime - like 50mm 1.8

Enjoy every moment and share some pics!

Qbalion's gear list:Qbalion's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +2 more
Nikon24-7 Regular Member • Posts: 476

The Z50 brought the joy of photography back to me. Love the little camera. I find the IQ of the 16-50mm kitlens very good for the price. Just bought the 50-250mm second hand and l find the lens very good as well. There are some clunking and rattling noises in the lens. This is because of the VR mechanism l hope;) It would be nice if actual users of the lens could confirm this.

The usermanual explains the the rattling is normal because of the vr mechanism. Sorry for bothering you😊

BurnImage
BurnImage Senior Member • Posts: 1,156

Congratulations on joining the Z50 club. I’m a fan too. There’s just something really special about this little guy. I also love that I have it setup identically to my Z6, which is great for muscle memory. The kit lenses are both a joy too.

-- hide signature --
 BurnImage's gear list:BurnImage's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 II Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 +4 more
Tootsall
Tootsall Senior Member • Posts: 1,807

That focus peaking trick also works with FTZ plus F or DX lenses...you can put them in "M" mode and then manually focus and the blinkies come on when you hit focus. Personally I still prefer to use center button ("OK") with 100% magnification to check focus. I just took these shots of a "Thanksgiving" or "November" cactus flower using the DX Z 50-250 and also with FTZ + DX 18-55 + Canon 250D "Closeup lens" and all hand-held. (Still thinking of getting the 105 Macro though).

Z 50-250

DX 18-55 + 250D

DX 18-55 + 250D

Z 50-250

-- hide signature --

(Ed)

Tootsall's gear list:Tootsall's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II +9 more
OP BobbyTee Regular Member • Posts: 173

Of my current Fuji cameras, the X30 and X-E3 are too small, and the old X-S1 is too large, but after a few days with my new Z50, it is just right!  A Goldilocks camera for me!

NCB Senior Member • Posts: 1,682

My feelings entirely. It feels a real camera, in the way the D3*** and D5*** series didn't quite. I've great affection for my D3100; it got me loads of great pics and I could live with the restrictions mostly. But the Z50 takes me back to film days; it's a real camera pure and simple.

Nigel

NCB's gear list:NCB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon D3100 Nikon Df Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50
DavidB2 Contributing Member • Posts: 513

I just picked up a Z50 too.  What's particularly striking to me is how incredible the JPEGs are out of camera (at least for landscapes, which is all I've shot with it so far).  Rich, great looking color.  I think its the best out of camera landscape JPEG's I've seen.

DavidB2's gear list:DavidB2's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-T3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +16 more
OP BobbyTee Regular Member • Posts: 173

Hi DavidB2,

Have you tried the Landscape Scene (SCN) mode?

Parry Johnson
Parry Johnson Senior Member • Posts: 1,925

2yota wrote:

BobbyTee wrote:

Congrats on your new Z50. One more tip (if you haven't already figured it out) is if you hold the "back button focus" or half press the shutter button while you rotate the manual focus ring, it will ALSO automatically engage focus peaking to assist you on the focus adjustments. I love using this technique when shooting at night or whenever I have to manually over-ride focusing.

I haven't got a Z body (yet!!). Does the back focus button also engage focus peaking with manual-focus or AF/D lenses, or only with Z lenses? That would certainly save a lot of time making setting changes, and would instantly make MF lenses easier to use.

Parry Johnson's gear list:Parry Johnson's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +21 more
DavidB2 Contributing Member • Posts: 513

No, I was just shooting normally.  I used the camera for the first time yesterday.  I was just so surprised yesterday when I loaded the photos into lightroom.  Normally I use the Raw files; when I pulled up when of the JPEGs I was so pleasantly surprised.

It is frustrating that Nikon is so bad at supporting its DX cameras with lenses, and doesn't play nice with third parties like Sigma and Zeiss, so they don't make Z lenses either.  We need a high quality, lightweight wide zoom equivalent to the non-Z 10-20mm, and a high quality, lightweight 16mm prime.

DavidB2's gear list:DavidB2's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-T3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +16 more
Qbalion
Qbalion Contributing Member • Posts: 566

and high quality, fast portrait primes, and macro lens

Qbalion's gear list:Qbalion's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +2 more

mzachacz wrote:

and high quality, fast portrait primes, and macro lens

And a 2.0 23mm

Toxdox42 Regular Member • Posts: 443

So far, every one I tried. I even have a low end Chinese 35 mm which looks great with the FTZ and focus peaking works just fine.

Toxdox42's gear list:Toxdox42's gear list
Nikon D3400 Nikon Z50
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads