Garage studio question: do you keep your seamless paper hung ?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Kumsa
Kumsa Contributing Member • Posts: 672
Garage studio question: do you keep your seamless paper hung ?

Every studio I've visited or used, the seamless paper rolls are always in place. However, I've read that it's Best Practice to store seamless paper rolls vertically, when not in use. Otherwise, over time the tube will start to sag, and then ripples will be introduced when the paper is unrolled for use.

So, should I plan on keeping the seamless paper stored vertically until I use it ? Or, is the threat of a bowed tube much ado about nothing ?

Thanks for any shared experience !

Kumsa's gear list:Kumsa's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +11 more
Don89 Senior Member • Posts: 1,647
Re: Garage studio question: do you keep your seamless paper hung ?

Kumsa wrote:

Every studio I've visited or used, the seamless paper rolls are always in place. However, I've read that it's Best Practice to store seamless paper rolls vertically, when not in use. Otherwise, over time the tube will start to sag, and then ripples will be introduced when the paper is unrolled for use.

So, should I plan on keeping the seamless paper stored vertically until I use it ? Or, is the threat of a bowed tube much ado about nothing ?

Thanks for any shared experience !

I roll mine up and store vertically.  Paper & vinyl,   No exceptions.

-- hide signature --

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms

Don89's gear list:Don89's gear list
Nikon D850
Gato Amarillo Veteran Member • Posts: 7,214

the bow or sag is very real.

A busy studio where paper is rolled and unrolled pretty much every day may not have problems, but a part time studio where paper may remain unused for weeks most likely will.

A strong metal core may help, but I'm not sure even that is a complete cure.

Gato

photolando Veteran Member • Posts: 3,287

Yes, everything you said is true.  Humidity will eventually work it's way into the paper.

To be creative, get in the habit of always putting everything away after the end of every shoot.  You can leave lights on stands but just put them off to the side and start new with every shoot.

-- hide signature --

Mike

photolando's gear list:photolando's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +3 more
Kumsa
OP Kumsa Contributing Member • Posts: 672

Great intel, and I'm so glad I asked in advance of finishing up my garage studio.

Kumsa's gear list:Kumsa's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +11 more
Ed Shapiro
Ed Shapiro Regular Member • Posts: 341

If you use your you might want to consider a roller system seamless paper frequently, you might want to consider purchasing a roller system. There are mechanisms that mount on the wall and/or ceiling and can be had in manual or electrical versions. These are basically metal or fiberboard cores driven by reversible electrical mother, manual crank/gear or chain-driven methods. A simple and inexpensive system can consist of 2 light stands and a crossbar or two wall brackets and a crossbar.

If you don't have space or budget for these items there is another method. I buy Savage seamless paper that comes in a carton. I open the carton lengthwise lie a box of food wrap. I then roll the paper from the floor upward and clamp the paper to a simple dows or length of lumber on brackets near the ceiling. The wider rolls can easily become unmanageable if you don't plan a convenient hanging method.

I keep only 3 shades in stock - white, studio gray, and black, I order colours only as I require them. I keep my basic shade on the rollers and store the others vertically to conserve storage space. For small product shots or headshots, I use the smaller (in width) rolls and consider them disposable.  If you make a cyclorama setup and roll the paper down on the floor, support ititi with hard flooring or plywood sheets so it is not punctured.

-- hide signature --

Ed Shapiro- Commercial and Portrait Photographer. Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Don89 Senior Member • Posts: 1,647

Ed Shapiro wrote:

If you use your you might want to consider a roller system seamless paper frequently, you might want to consider purchasing a roller system. There are mechanisms that mount on the wall and/or ceiling and can be had in manual or electrical versions. These are basically metal or fiberboard cores driven by reversible electrical mother, manual crank/gear or chain-driven methods. A simple and inexpensive system can consist of 2 light stands and a crossbar or two wall brackets and a crossbar.

If you don't have space or budget for these items there is another method. I buy Savage seamless paper that comes in a carton. I open the carton lengthwise lie a box of food wrap. I then roll the paper from the floor upward and clamp the paper to a simple dows or length of lumber on brackets near the ceiling. The wider rolls can easily become unmanageable if you don't plan a convenient hanging method.

I keep only 3 shades in stock - white, studio gray, and black, I order colours only as I require them. I keep my basic shade on the rollers and store the others vertically to conserve storage space. For small product shots or headshots, I use the smaller (in width) rolls and consider them disposable. If you make a cyclorama setup and roll the paper down on the floor, support ititi with hard flooring or plywood sheets so it is not punctured.

If I cut off a piece from a roll and it’s still useful, I’ll simply roll that piece up and place it inside the paper roll tube itself.   I do that a lot with Savage Translum.

-- hide signature --

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms

Don89's gear list:Don89's gear list
Nikon D850
Teila Day
Teila Day Veteran Member • Posts: 5,201

Kumsa wrote:

Every studio I've visited or used, the seamless paper rolls are always in place. However, I've read that it's Best Practice to store seamless paper rolls vertically, when not in use.

Paper rolls are like batteries in some equipment - it's "best" to remove them when not in use but it isn't always practical. I leave paper rolls up and couldn't care less if there's a bit of sag and in general, yes, the paper will at some point start to sag. So? Before it's an issue the paper is often long gone. Experiment and do what's best for you and or your shop. No way am I taking large rolls of paper down after each shoot. I've even stored the tubes of paper horizontally, vertically, 45* angle, etc.. long term. Depending on your focal length and subject distance from the paper, one typically isn't able to tell diddly squat about the condition of the paper or notice ripples in my experience.

Otherwise, over time the tube will start to sag, and then ripples will be introduced when the paper is unrolled for use.

That's 100% true. The question is how much time does it take for a roll of paper consistently hung horizontally, to be a detriment to one's photography.

As long as it's not a safety issue, a bit of sag doesn't bother me - and is indeed (for me) 'much ado about nothing'... and that goes for shooting in a dedicated studio, using seamless paper on location or using your garage.

That's my friendly view

-- hide signature --

Teila K. Day
http://teiladay.com

Klaus dk
Klaus dk Veteran Member • Posts: 7,273
Yes and no

I use my living room as a studio, so keeping the rolls suspended under the ceiling is out of the question. After each shoot i roll them up and put them back in the plastic bag and push them into the carton, tightly rolled.

My ceilings are not high enough to store them vertically, so I store them on a shelf, horisontally. This keeps them from sagging, and apparently, I roll them tight enough to not make horisontal ripples.

My grey paper background roll is now almost ten years old. I've used it this way all its life, and it still works. The white was more vulnerable and is now replaced by vinyl on an aluminium core. Vinyl is more difficult to get straight but easier to keep clean.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads