P950 Geese-in-Flight

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Dodge_Rock
Dodge_Rock Senior Member • Posts: 2,842
P950 Geese-in-Flight

One of the best things Nikon added to this camera is the great big, clear & beautiful EVF.  I use it exclusively for birds, both sitting & flying.  Holding camera tight to the face aids in shooting stability.  I shoot hand held only.

I use the small focus point for still birds & use the fn button to change to target finding focus for anything that flies.

Shot in P mode, fine jpegs, 4:3(most are cropped), neutral standard picture control with sharpening at +5 & auto contrast/sharpening.

Getting a good hit rate in sunlight too.

Snow geese flying in tight formation.

Fly-by

Take off!

Shorter focal lengths = higher image quality.

Flock-in-flight

That's a lot of geese

Flying toward you is the difficult to get in focus

Landing gear down

Target finding worked great on the landing birds, even with the busy background.

Dodge_Rock's gear list:Dodge_Rock's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P950
Bassy Forum Pro • Posts: 11,132
Re: P950 Geese-in-Flight

a very nice set i enjoyed looking at these i have tried  a few times with target finding

but so far i have not been able to get shots like yours  did you use centre weighted metering,cheers bassy

on my wish list is to get  peregrines    flying with the p950 i reckon i could do it

just need the birds to   be in the right place and the same time as me

CMCM Senior Member • Posts: 5,924

Great photos, best of flying birds that I've seen with a P camera.  Very impressive!

You mentioned using target finding mode....have you tried subject tracking mode?

Also....I can't figure out how to modify the Fn button...I looked at the manual, but didn't see how to assign that feature.  I must be missing something.

Also...are you using matrix/center weighted/spot metering?

You said you use P mode....it seems to keep the shutter speed pretty fast, surprising.  I wonder if that is because of the tracking AF mode you're using.

CMCM's gear list:CMCM's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Nikon D500 Canon G7 X II Nikon Coolpix P950 Nikon D700 +17 more
Dodge_Rock
OP Dodge_Rock Senior Member • Posts: 2,842

Bassy wrote:

a very nice set i enjoyed looking at these i have tried a few times with target finding

but so far i have not been able to get shots like yours did you use centre weighted metering,cheers bassy

on my wish list is to get peregrines flying with the p950 i reckon i could do it

just need the birds to be in the right place and the same time as me

Thanks - definitely center weighted metering

Wish we had peregrines nearby!

Nikon Coolpix P950
Dodge_Rock

CMCM wrote:

Great photos, best of flying birds that I've seen with a P camera. Very impressive!

You mentioned using target finding mode....have you tried subject tracking mode?

Also....I can't figure out how to modify the Fn button...I looked at the manual, but didn't see how to assign that feature. I must be missing something.

You said you use P mode....it seems to keep the shutter speed pretty fast, surprising. I wonder if that is because of the tracking AF mode you're using.

Thanks - I've used subject tracking, but after today, know that target finding af works best.

The Fn default includes focus modes, just press it & then arrow down to it & hit ok.

Center-weighted metering & P mode used fast SS due to amount of light(I think).

p.s. I use single-shot, not continuous... and did pan with the birds.

Nikon Coolpix P950
CMCM Senior Member • Posts: 5,924

Dodge_Rock wrote:

CMCM wrote:

Great photos, best of flying birds that I've seen with a P camera. Very impressive!

Also....I can't figure out how to modify the Fn button...I looked at the manual, but didn't see how to assign that feature. I must be missing something.

You said you use P mode....it seems to keep the shutter speed pretty fast, surprising. I wonder if that is because of the tracking AF mode you're using.

Thanks - I've used subject tracking, but after today, know that target finding af works best.

The Fn default includes focus modes, just press it & then arrow down to it & hit ok.

Center-weighted metering & P mode used fast SS due to amount of light(I think).

p.s. I use single-shot, not continuous... and did pan with the birds.

Thanks, finally found it.  I haven't played around with target finding at all.  There must be some relation between the target finding and perhaps center weighted modes that encourage a faster SS.  I look forward to playing with this....I had about given up on the P950 for flying birds.  Again, your results are quite stellar.

CMCM's gear list:CMCM's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Nikon D500 Canon G7 X II Nikon Coolpix P950 Nikon D700 +17 more
OutsideTheMatrix
OutsideTheMatrix Veteran Member • Posts: 7,889

These are great! Were these processed from RAW?  Also is this target finding focus option also available in the P900?

-- hide signature --

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1961

OutsideTheMatrix's gear list:OutsideTheMatrix's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +9 more
Dodge_Rock

OutsideTheMatrix wrote:

These are great! Were these processed from RAW? Also is this target finding focus option also available in the P900?

Thanks, these are all fine jpegs & yes, it's available in the P900 & P1000 too.

Funny, or interesting thing is, it's the default focus when shooting in Auto mode on all three cams.

Nikon Coolpix P950
ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 20,521

Excellent set Dodge Rock !

Impressive shooting BIF with the P950!!

I only managed one or two times getting decent BIF.

Gave up soon after

Since I carry D7500 with the P950,  I just grab it for  BIF.

Didn't try Target finding AF.

I did switch to center weighted metering a few Months ago.

Haven't changed it since.

Keep them coming.

Stay healthy

ANAYV

Augustin Man
Augustin Man Forum Pro • Posts: 10,877

Awesome images, my friend! I'd never have said they weren't shot with a DSLR

Congratulations and happy shooting,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000
OutsideTheMatrix
OutsideTheMatrix Veteran Member • Posts: 7,889

Dodge_Rock wrote:

OutsideTheMatrix wrote:

These are great! Were these processed from RAW? Also is this target finding focus option also available in the P900?

Thanks, these are all fine jpegs & yes, it's available in the P900 & P1000 too.

Funny, or interesting thing is, it's the default focus when shooting in Auto mode on all three cams.

I forgot to ask- were these shot in continuous high burst or low burst or single frame capture?

-- hide signature --

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1961

OutsideTheMatrix's gear list:OutsideTheMatrix's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +9 more
DAP MV
DAP MV Contributing Member • Posts: 670

All are great, but, in my opinion, the last one is the best!

-- hide signature --

Darius

DAP MV's gear list:DAP MV's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon Coolpix P950
Stephen McDonald
Stephen McDonald Forum Pro • Posts: 14,350

Very wonderful shots, Dodge. Those in the first shot look like Ross's geese to me and perhaps some of the other shots have some Ross's, mixed with lesser snow geese and blue morphs. There could also be some hybrids with the Ross's and the snows.

-- hide signature --
 Stephen McDonald's gear list:Stephen McDonald's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V +1 more
KJaay Veteran Member • Posts: 8,219

Hi Dodge:

No one does BIF better than you!

-- hide signature --

KJ

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000 +1 more
Dale108
Dale108 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,013

Great captures.

Dale

Dodge_Rock wrote:

One of the best things Nikon added to this camera is the great big, clear & beautiful EVF. I use it exclusively for birds, both sitting & flying. Holding camera tight to the face aids in shooting stability. I shoot hand held only.

I use the small focus point for still birds & use the fn button to change to target finding focus for anything that flies.

Shot in P mode, fine jpegs, 4:3(most are cropped), neutral standard picture control with sharpening at +5 & auto contrast/sharpening.

Getting a good hit rate in sunlight too.

Snow geese flying in tight formation.

Fly-by

Take off!

Shorter focal lengths = higher image quality.

Flock-in-flight

That's a lot of geese

Flying toward you is the difficult to get in focus

Landing gear down

Target finding worked great on the landing birds, even with the busy background.

Dale108's gear list:Dale108's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Olympus TG-5 Sony RX10 IV Pentax K-1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
Stevan G Contributing Member • Posts: 625

mighty impressive

p900learner
p900learner Senior Member • Posts: 1,526

Just excellent Dodge_Rock. A real pleasure to view these images. I've made note of your settings.

Thanks again.  Ev

-- hide signature --
 p900learner's gear list:p900learner's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P950 FastStone Image Viewer PhotoScape
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads