Canon R6, best camera under $2000?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Eason T New Member • Posts: 6
Canon R6, best camera under $2000?
17

I am just a bit confused about dpreview's latest update on the best camera under $2000.

The Canon EOS R6 currently has a price tag of $2500 on both B&H and Amazon.

Shouldn't it be called the best camera under $2500 or put on the over $2000 list?

Where Canon EOS 5D Mark IV (current price $2500) is on the over $2000 list.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-cameras-under-2000

Interestingly, here is what I found:

Canon EOS 5DS (current price @$1300) is on the over $2000 list.

Canon EOS 5DS R (current price @$1500) is on the over $2000 list.

Panasonice GH5S (current price @$2000) is on the over $2000 list.

Olympus OM-D E-M1X (current price @$2000) is on the over $2000 list.

Sony A7R iii (current price @$2300) is not on either list.

Panasonice S1 (current price @$2500) is on the over $2000 list.

Nikon Z7 (current price @$2600) is on the over $2000 list.

Sony A7R iv (current price @$3000) is on the over $2000 list.

Nikon Z7 ii (current price @$3000) is not on either list.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-cameras-over-2000

Dpreview mentioned that the Canon EOS R6 is worth spending $500 more on it, but how about spending another $500 more for the top of the line Nikon Z7ii or Sony A7R iv?

 Eason T's gear list:Eason T's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 35mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 85mm F1.8
tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,721
Re: Canon R6, best camera under $2000?
9

Definitely seems suspect.   The title of the news item says "around $2000", but even that's a huge stretch to call $2500 as around 2000.   It's 25% over budget!

Maybe next, the Fuji X-T30 can be the best under $500 camera at $799.

DaveAndrews New Member • Posts: 10
That is NOT what it says. But, likely is the best AROUND that price.
8

The Canon EOS R6 is the best camera for around $2000

I can see why you are confused. Because you though it said, "best camera under $2000"

Of course you are wrong and that is not what it says

Tuloom
Tuloom Veteran Member • Posts: 4,111
Re: That is NOT what it says! But, likely is the best.
3

DaveAndrews wrote:

The Canon EOS R6 is the best camera for around $2000

Well, crap, like right there in the first paragraph explaining it. I guess RIF.

There goes today's melodrama.

scrup Regular Member • Posts: 495
Re: Picture says it all
10

DaveAndrews wrote:

The Canon EOS R6 is the best camera for around $2000

I can see why you are confused. Because you though it said, "best camera under $2000"

Of course you are wrong and that is not what it says

The headlines disagrees with you. It would have been accurate if they said under $2500, because that is the reality.

 scrup's gear list:scrup's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +2 more
justmeMN Veteran Member • Posts: 9,932
Re: Picture says it all
3

No, this opening picture says it all.

victorav Senior Member • Posts: 1,178
Re: Picture says it all
4

Regardless its placed in a category 'under $2000'. Seems silly to say it's not under but were going to put it here anyway.

izzard Forum Member • Posts: 71
Re: Picture says it all
10

In the explanation they write "Even though they cost more, we've considered the Canon EOS R6 and Panasonic DC-S5 in this group because their specs and performance are consistent with their ~$2000 peers."

If the specs and performance of higher priced camera are consistent with peers at lower price point it doesn't make sense to pick the higher priced model. If there're two similar performing products why'd anyone recommend or pick the more expensive?

Jon Jon Regular Member • Posts: 136
It’s an A9ii with better video
4

Under most conditions the R6 is near equal to an A9ii.  In the rare case rolling shutter might be an issue it has a blazing 12 FPS mechanical shutter which is  better than an electronic shutter for rolling shutter and IQ.

no doubt video is superior too making it better all around camera.

IBIS is claimed to be better, but that can be argued another time.

Its about 1/2 the price of an A9ii and arguably better all around.  So it very much might be the best camera around $2000.

-- hide signature --

Voice of Reason

scrup Regular Member • Posts: 495
Re: Picture says it all
2

justmeMN wrote:

No, this opening picture says it all.

So kind of a bait and switch. Nowhere on this continent can you get it for around $2k.

Perhaps DPR knows there is a price drop coming this holiday season.

 scrup's gear list:scrup's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +2 more
Brev00
Brev00 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,818
Re: Picture says it all
2

izzard wrote:

In the explanation they write "Even though they cost more, we've considered the Canon EOS R6 and Panasonic DC-S5 in this group because their specs and performance are consistent with their ~$2000 peers."

If the specs and performance of higher priced camera are consistent with peers at lower price point it doesn't make sense to pick the higher priced model. If there're two similar performing products why'd anyone recommend or pick the more expensive?

$2500 is not around $2000 in my book. I hope it's a touch better than cameras at least $500 less expensive. Why then wouldn't the Nikon D780 be considered in this comparative review? $2300.

 Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon D40 Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +10 more
izzard Forum Member • Posts: 71
Re: Picture says it all

They explicitly state it's not better, and that the performance is similar.

victorav Senior Member • Posts: 1,178
Re: Picture says it all
2

Do they have an editor, the article makes no sense.

justmeMN Veteran Member • Posts: 9,932
Re: Picture says it all
3

An additional detail is that DPR always uses body-only prices. A first-time buyer might want to have a kit lens too.

sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 19,295
Re: Picture says it all
10

scrup wrote:

"Even though they cost more, we've considered the Canon EOS R6 and Panasonic DC-S5 in this group because their specs and performance are consistent with their ~$2000 peers."

Ah, I get it. The R6 and DC-S5 cost more than $2000, but they're not worth more than $2000.

scrup Regular Member • Posts: 495
Re: Picture says it all
3

sybersitizen wrote:

scrup wrote:

"Even though they cost more, we've considered the Canon EOS R6 and Panasonic DC-S5 in this group because their specs and performance are consistent with their ~$2000 peers."

Ah, I get it. The R6 and DC-S5 cost more than $2000, but they're not worth more than $2000.

We can avoid these first world problems if they had changed the buying guide from $2000 to $2500.

 scrup's gear list:scrup's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +2 more
justmeMN Veteran Member • Posts: 9,932
Re: Picture says it all

scrup wrote:

We can avoid these first world problems if they had changed the buying guide from $2000 to $2500.

True.

NickZ2016 Senior Member • Posts: 1,735
Re: Picture says it all
1

izzard wrote:

In the explanation they write "Even though they cost more, we've considered the Canon EOS R6 and Panasonic DC-S5 in this group because their specs and performance are consistent with their ~$2000 peers."

If the specs and performance of higher priced camera are consistent with peers at lower price point it doesn't make sense to pick the higher priced model. If there're two similar performing products why'd anyone recommend or pick the more expensive?

They said

The Canon EOS R6 is the most expensive camera in its class but also perhaps the most well-rounded, making it worth spending more than $2000. Like all cameras in this class it offers excellent image quality, and it has an AF system that’s both powerful and easy-to-use.

Honestly what sense does it make to set a hard limit for a review like this? If the best camera was $1 over the limit should they ignore it?

You can argue that $500 is too far over the limit but this isn't the Olympic with weight classes.

 NickZ2016's gear list:NickZ2016's gear list
Nikon D800 Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +4 more
Brev00
Brev00 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,818
Re: Picture says it all
3

NickZ2016 wrote:

izzard wrote:

In the explanation they write "Even though they cost more, we've considered the Canon EOS R6 and Panasonic DC-S5 in this group because their specs and performance are consistent with their ~$2000 peers."

If the specs and performance of higher priced camera are consistent with peers at lower price point it doesn't make sense to pick the higher priced model. If there're two similar performing products why'd anyone recommend or pick the more expensive?

They said

The Canon EOS R6 is the most expensive camera in its class but also perhaps the most well-rounded, making it worth spending more than $2000. Like all cameras in this class it offers excellent image quality, and it has an AF system that’s both powerful and easy-to-use.

Honestly what sense does it make to set a hard limit for a review like this? If the best camera was $1 over the limit should they ignore it?

You can argue that $500 is too far over the limit

and one would be right.

but this isn't the Olympic with weight classes.

Yes, it is.  Look how DPReview divides cameras into different price brackets when they make their holiday recommendations.  Not weight, but price, decides which camera is placed in one group or another. I guess it is annoying to hemmed in by categories of one's own creation.

 Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon D40 Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +10 more
NickZ2016 Senior Member • Posts: 1,735
Re: Picture says it all
1

Obviously they can ignore whatever limits they've put on themselves

 NickZ2016's gear list:NickZ2016's gear list
Nikon D800 Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads