Some Recent Frames

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Bill Ferris
Bill Ferris Veteran Member • Posts: 6,178
Some Recent Frames

Despite the dry conditions northern Arizona has been experiencing the last nine months, we were treated to a diverse population of raptors passing through the area during fall migration. I also had the opportunity to make some photos of a resident northern harrier and a few other locals. Here's a collection of recent frames made with my Nikon D500 and Nikkor 200-500 from the east rim overlooking Mormon Lake.

Female northern harrier (Nikon D500 w/ Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E at 500mm, f/8, 1/2000, ISO 500)

Dark morph Swainson's hawk (Nikon D500 w/ Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E at 500mm, f/5.6, 1/2500, ISO 500)

Light morph ferruginous hawk (Nikon D500 w/ Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E at 500mm, f/5.6, 1/1600, ISO 500)

Female northern harrier (Nikon D500 w/ Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E at 500mm, f/5.6, 1/2000, ISO 500)

Sharp-shinned hawk (Nikon D500 w/ Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E at 500mm, f/5.6, 1/2000, ISO 400)

Turkey vulture (Nikon D500 w/ Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E at 500mm, f/5.6, 1/1600, ISO 400)

Dark morph ferruginous hawk (Nikon D500 w/ Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E at 500mm, f/5.6, 1/2000, ISO 400)

Northern harrier (Nikon D500 w/ Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E at 500mm, f/5.6, 1/2500, ISO 400)

Zone-tailed hawk (Nikon D500 w/ Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E at 500mm, f/5.6, 1/1600, ISO 500)

Prairie falcon (Nikon D500 w/ Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E at 500mm, f/5.6, 1/2500, ISO 500)

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
TomS53 Senior Member • Posts: 1,409
Re: Some Recent Frames

Bill, very nice & thanks for sharing!  Stay Safe!

TomS53's gear list:TomS53's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +5 more
Kenster63
Kenster63 Regular Member • Posts: 158

Nice work, Bill! I love my D500 and 200-500 combo!

-- hide signature --

Life is short. Spend as much time as you can quibbling with strangers on the Internet.
https://www.dpreview.com/members/3553666329/challenges

Kenster63's gear list:Kenster63's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +7 more
ruley74
ruley74 Contributing Member • Posts: 704

Nice Bill as always.

Curiously, was the first much of a crop? I'd be curious on what the first image comes up like lifting the shadows a bit more on the bird while adding some contrast to keep the feather pattern. The expression in the eyes are excellent.

-- hide signature --

I give permission to edit my posted images for the purpose of constructive feedback, if it's not constructive don't bother!
https://www.instagram.com/photos_by_ruley/?hl=en

ruley74's gear list:ruley74's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon D5 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
Kazmarov Contributing Member • Posts: 808

Great selection Bill & your customary high quality shots! Thanks for sharing!

Kazmarov's gear list:Kazmarov's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D90 Nikon D5500 Canon EOS 60D Nikon D7200 +10 more
FuhTeng
FuhTeng Senior Member • Posts: 1,277

Beautiful as always. I think it's fun your subjects are rather like my wife - closing her eyes frequently!

Great job Bill.

-- hide signature --

"Our young men should spend more time considering the composition and merit of their images, and less time with magnifying glasses counting how many bricks and shingles they can resolve." - from a Paris newspaper article on Daguerrotype photography, from 1841. (and https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/05/1839-and-the-frenzy-that-followed)

FuhTeng's gear list:FuhTeng's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6300 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Bill Ferris
OP Bill Ferris Veteran Member • Posts: 6,178

Thank you, Tom.

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ

Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
Bill Ferris

Thank you. It's a great combo. We're fortunate to have a number of quality camera and lens combos available. There's a system for just about anybody's needs and interests. It's a great time to be a photographer.

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ

Bill Ferris

ruley74 wrote:

Nice Bill as always.

Thank you.

Curiously, was the first much of a crop? I'd be curious on what the first image comes up like lifting the shadows a bit more on the bird while adding some contrast to keep the feather pattern. The expression in the eyes are excellent.

It's what I would describe as a modest crop. If recollection serves - I'll check this when I get home - it's cropped to about 4,000 pixels along the long axis. I missed focus a skosh but the facial expression is good (thanks for your comment) as is the body position. I kind of like the slightly darker look as a reflection of the brooding stare of the bird.

Thanks for your comments.

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ

Bill Ferris

Thank you

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ

vbuhay
vbuhay Veteran Member • Posts: 4,300

Bill Ferris wrote:

Despite the dry conditions northern Arizona has been experiencing the last nine months, we were treated to a diverse population of raptors passing through the area during fall migration. I also had the opportunity to make some photos of a resident northern harrier and a few other locals. Here's a collection of recent frames made with my Nikon D500 and Nikkor 200-500 from the east rim overlooking Mormon Lake.

Female northern harrier (Nikon D500 w/ Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E at 500mm, f/8, 1/2000, ISO 500)

Dark morph Swainson's hawk (Nikon D500 w/ Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E at 500mm, f/5.6, 1/2500, ISO 500)

Light morph ferruginous hawk (Nikon D500 w/ Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E at 500mm, f/5.6, 1/1600, ISO 500)

Female northern harrier (Nikon D500 w/ Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E at 500mm, f/5.6, 1/2000, ISO 500)

Sharp-shinned hawk (Nikon D500 w/ Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E at 500mm, f/5.6, 1/2000, ISO 400)

Turkey vulture (Nikon D500 w/ Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E at 500mm, f/5.6, 1/1600, ISO 400)

Dark morph ferruginous hawk (Nikon D500 w/ Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E at 500mm, f/5.6, 1/2000, ISO 400)

Northern harrier (Nikon D500 w/ Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E at 500mm, f/5.6, 1/2500, ISO 400)

Zone-tailed hawk (Nikon D500 w/ Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E at 500mm, f/5.6, 1/1600, ISO 500)

Prairie falcon (Nikon D500 w/ Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E at 500mm, f/5.6, 1/2500, ISO 500)

All outstanding shots Bill, Thanks again for your inputs with our Grand Canyon Visit- all your suggestions were spot on! I am going to need to keep practicing with my 200-500, I am very tempted to sell my lens since I have bought the 500 F5.6PF.... The Meteor Crater was very interesting (My daughter worked for NASA for 5 years and my son-in-law still does as an Engineer). My kids really enjoyed the Pit....Sunrise at Lipan Point was excellent - saw some deers on the way there, saw some mountain goats at the Bright Angel Trail, great food at Big E's...and a Fantastic Heli tour with Papillon Helicopters... Saw some Elks foraging in front of our Lodge (Yavapai Lodges). So now I am thinking of Flagstaff rather than Gilbert or Chandler as a retirement location... How is the Cost of living?

Here is a shot of the Milky Way with my kids...

Thanks much!

vbuhay's gear list:vbuhay's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon D500 Nikon D4S +33 more
ruley74
ruley74 Contributing Member • Posts: 704

Bill Ferris wrote:

ruley74 wrote:

Nice Bill as always.

Thank you.

Curiously, was the first much of a crop? I'd be curious on what the first image comes up like lifting the shadows a bit more on the bird while adding some contrast to keep the feather pattern. The expression in the eyes are excellent.

It's what I would describe as a modest crop. If recollection serves - I'll check this when I get home - it's cropped to about 4,000 pixels along the long axis. I missed focus a skosh but the facial expression is good (thanks for your comment) as is the body position. I kind of like the slightly darker look as a reflection of the brooding stare of the bird.

Thanks for your comments.

More asking regards crop as to detail retention and ability to play with the image.

-- hide signature --

I give permission to edit my posted images for the purpose of constructive feedback, if it's not constructive don't bother!
https://www.instagram.com/photos_by_ruley/?hl=en

ruley74's gear list:ruley74's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon D5 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
Bill Ferris

vbuhay wrote:

All outstanding shots Bill, Thanks again for your inputs with our Grand Canyon Visit- all your suggestions were spot on! I am going to need to keep practicing with my 200-500, I am very tempted to sell my lens since I have bought the 500 F5.6PF.... The Meteor Crater was very interesting (My daughter worked for NASA for 5 years and my son-in-law still does as an Engineer). My kids really enjoyed the Pit....Sunrise at Lipan Point was excellent - saw some deers on the way there, saw some mountain goats at the Bright Angel Trail, great food at Big E's...and a Fantastic Heli tour with Papillon Helicopters... Saw some Elks foraging in front of our Lodge (Yavapai Lodges). So now I am thinking of Flagstaff rather than Gilbert or Chandler as a retirement location... How is the Cost of living?

Thanks much!

Vic, it sounds like you and your kids enjoyed a great visit to the Big Ditch. I'm glad I could be of assistance in recommending some activities. It's one of my favorite places. Your post reminds me it's been much too long since my last visit.  If you don't mind one more suggestion, a guided river trip through the Canyon is something I'd bet you would enjoy. It's a bucket list item

I love the photos you've shared of your kids from this trip. Clearly, you all had a great time.

Flagstaff has gotten fairly expensive in recent years. Housing costs were never really much impacted by the Great Recession and have continued to increase.

That said, it does have a lot to offer...four seasons, pleasant summers and mild winters (I'm a former Wisconsinite so, that's the context for my thoughts on the climate, here.), lots of outdoor activities, a regional hospital and airport, a university, two research observatories, a decent food and arts scene. Grand Canyon, Monument Valley and other national treasures are within a few hours to a day's drive.

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ

NicholasD
NicholasD Contributing Member • Posts: 775

Gol darn it Bill. I've pretty much selected the 500 pf vs the 200-500 as the best option for me to get to 500mm and you go ahead and post stunners..... Could you post at least one focus miss or complain about the weight or how hard it is to zoom the full range or that you had to buy a new bag or or or or.....  Thanks in advance.

Very nice captures!

NicholasD's gear list:NicholasD's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D40 Nikon D7200 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +6 more
Bill Ferris

NicholasD wrote:

Gol darn it Bill. I've pretty much selected the 500 pf vs the 200-500 as the best option for me to get to 500mm and you go ahead and post stunners..... Could you post at least one focus miss or complain about the weight or how hard it is to zoom the full range or that you had to buy a new bag or or or or..... Thanks in advance.

Very nice captures!

Ha

Well, everything we read about the 500 PF indicates it's an excellent lens. The size and weight are certainly plusses. You should get it, then get out as often as possible and love using it.

Just between you and me, the first photo in the set is a focus miss. It's off enough that I normally would not have processed it. However, the facial expression and body position overcome - IMO - that technical imperfection. The missed focus has, however, been eating at me the last two months. If I'd done a better job of tracking the bird...it's always the missed shots that stay with me. Don't get me wrong; I love the good ones. But the shots that get away are what keep me going out in pursuit of that ellusive perfect photo

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ

vbuhay

Bill Ferris wrote:

vbuhay wrote:

Thanks much!

Vic, it sounds like you and your kids enjoyed a great visit to the Big Ditch. I'm glad I could be of assistance in recommending some activities. It's one of my favorite places. Your post reminds me it's been much too long since my last visit. If you don't mind one more suggestion, a guided river trip through the Canyon is something I'd bet you would enjoy. It's a bucket list item

I love the photos you've shared of your kids from this trip. Clearly, you all had a great time.

Flagstaff has gotten fairly expensive in recent years. Housing costs were never really much impacted by the Great Recession and have continued to increase.

That said, it does have a lot to offer...four seasons, pleasant summers and mild winters (I'm a former Wisconsinite so, that's the context for my thoughts on the climate, here.), lots of outdoor activities, a regional hospital and airport, a university, two research observatories, a decent food and arts scene. Grand Canyon, Monument Valley and other national treasures are within a few hours to a day's drive.

Thanks again Bill, I would definitely put that guided river trip in my bucket list... I did a white water at the American river for 3 days a while back and had a great time with my son... that is I on the left my son on the right .... I remember that water was freezing cold. A trip to remember!

The chute - circa 2007...

vbuhay

Bill Ferris wrote:

NicholasD wrote:

Gol darn it Bill. I've pretty much selected the 500 pf vs the 200-500 as the best option for me to get to 500mm and you go ahead and post stunners..... Could you post at least one focus miss or complain about the weight or how hard it is to zoom the full range or that you had to buy a new bag or or or or..... Thanks in advance.

Very nice captures!

Ha

Well, everything we read about the 500 PF indicates it's an excellent lens. The size and weight are certainly plusses. You should get it, then get out as often as possible and love using it.

Just between you and me, the first photo in the set is a focus miss. It's off enough that I normally would not have processed it. However, the facial expression and body position overcome - IMO - that technical imperfection. The missed focus has, however, been eating at me the last two months. If I'd done a better job of tracking the bird...it's always the missed shots that stay with me. Don't get me wrong; I love the good ones. But the shots that get away are what keep me going out in pursuit of that ellusive perfect photo

Just to interject, I did just get the 500 PF and tried it with my D750 here are a couple of shots from the Riparian Water preserve in Gilbert AZ.

I am thinking of selling the 200-500 .... still have the Tamron 150-600 G1 and G2...

vbuhay

vbuhay wrote:

Bill Ferris wrote:

NicholasD wrote:

Very nice captures!

Ha

Just to interject, I did just get the 500 PF and tried it with my D750 here are a couple of shots from the Riparian Water preserve in Gilbert AZ.

I am thinking of selling the 200-500 .... still have the Tamron 150-600 G1 and G2...

Here is a focus miss -

These Dragon Flies move erratically and a fast...

NicholasD
NicholasD Contributing Member • Posts: 775

Bill Ferris wrote:

NicholasD wrote:

Very nice captures!

Ha

A lot of truth in what you say. My challenge is to embrace the last sentence of your first paragraph - not advocating being foolhardy, but there tends to be a lot of life experiences left on the table at times because of self imposed barriers. Thanks for the sentiment!

NicholasD's gear list:NicholasD's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D40 Nikon D7200 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +6 more
KramerOne New Member • Posts: 9
Grand Canyon wildlife comment

Not trying to be critical, just educational.  I suspect the Mountain Goats you saw were actually Desert Bighorn Sheep.  Arizona doesn't have mountain goat in the wild.  We do have two types of sheep, Desert Bighorn and Rocky Mountain Bighorn.  As I recall, the Grand Canyon has the Desert Bighorn variety.

Fyi, Arizona's elk are all transplanted and are Rocky Mountain Elk.  Our original elk were Merriam's Elk, but have been extinct for over a hundred years.  The elk comeback here is a remarkable achievement.

-- hide signature --

KramerOne

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads