Would you send it back?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Fuji mik3 Forum Member • Posts: 69
Would you send it back?

Hi Everyone!

Just received my lens this Thursday and wasn't able to test it till basically today.

I first noticed that the right of the lens was softer than the left so i thought ok a little decentered but ah whatever its really mild who cares BUT then I inspected the lens as i usually do and noticed this super small mark that you can only see under super bright lights.

I don't like to touch the front element to much but wiping with lens cloth has not removed it.

I honestly think this lens saw a rough travel either between the manufacture and store or store to the customer.

I'm the type to not return stuff unless I really really have to but what does everyone think? i know this won't effect image quality but it will effect resale

XF 16-55

David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 12,471
Definitely!

If I'd paid good money for a new item I'd expect it to be perfect. A lens such as yours would go straight back.

Pocket Lint Senior Member • Posts: 1,495
Yes.

I would return it and get a new one. I would not accept a little softness due to a decentered lens. Brand new lens should be perfect from factory.

Pocket Lint's gear list:Pocket Lint's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-Pro3 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L III USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +5 more
DivineMadcat Forum Member • Posts: 91
Re: Yes.

Absolutely. Pay new price, expect new quality.

DivineMadcat's gear list:DivineMadcat's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +1 more
Erik Baumgartner Senior Member • Posts: 3,856
Absolutely, send it back

Fuji mik3 wrote:

Hi Everyone!

Just received my lens this Thursday and wasn't able to test it till basically today.

I first noticed that the right of the lens was softer than the left so i thought ok a little decentered but ah whatever its really mild who cares BUT then I inspected the lens as i usually do and noticed this super small mark that you can only see under super bright lights.

I don't like to touch the front element to much but wiping with lens cloth has not removed it.

I honestly think this lens saw a rough travel either between the manufacture and store or store to the customer.

I'm the type to not return stuff unless I really really have to but what does everyone think? i know this won't effect image quality but it will effect resale

XF 16-55

Whether or not there's a speck inside, It's an expensive lens that should be sharp on both sides and in the corners, especially on the wide end, Go take some shots of a grassy hill or something to confirm the softness on one side. I would absolutely send it back if it's off. Their QC won't improve if people go on accepting the dud copies. No lens is perfect, especially a zoom, but the 16-55 should be quite sharp across the frame.

16-55 at 16mm, f/8

Erik Baumgartner's gear list:Erik Baumgartner's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +4 more
McWoodley
McWoodley Regular Member • Posts: 419
Re: Would you send it back?

Yes for sure.  I had to return one recently because there was visible dust in it.   Unsure if that was QC issues with Fuji or what but it went back and was replaced no questions asked.

McWoodley's gear list:McWoodley's gear list
Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm +8 more
OP Fuji mik3 Forum Member • Posts: 69
Re: Absolutely, send it back

Thanks everyone I talked to a BH rep and filled out a return in the morning but I've been debating it all day even looking under different angles to see if it's that big of a deal. I noticed the BH rep put (scratch on front element) as reason for return I have no idea if it is or isn't should I clarify either A it's not the only reason I'm returning or B that it looks like a mark not really a scratch. Maybe she put that as it's a drop down on their end maybe it doesn't even matter?

Its the xf16-55mm so definitely want a pristine copy but I wanted to start using it already lol

Erik Baumgartner wrote:

Fuji mik3 wrote:

Hi Everyone!

XF 16-55

Whether or not there's a speck inside, It's an expensive lens that should be sharp on both sides and in the corners, especially on the wide end, Go take some shots of a grassy hill or something to confirm the softness on one side. I would absolutely send it back if it's off. Their QC won't improve if people go on accepting the dud copies. No lens is perfect, especially a zoom, but the 16-55 should be quite sharp across the frame.

16-55 at 16mm, f/8

Yeah I took pictures of a book shelf and right lower corner seemed softer than everywhere else I noticed it was more pronounced at 23

DarnGoodPhotos Forum Pro • Posts: 10,993

I would.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

DarnGoodPhotos's gear list:DarnGoodPhotos's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +2 more
McWoodley
McWoodley Regular Member • Posts: 419

Fuji mik3 wrote:

Thanks everyone I talked to a BH rep and filled out a return in the morning but I've been debating it all day even looking under different angles to see if it's that big of a deal. I noticed the BH rep put (scratch on front element) as reason for return I have no idea if it is or isn't should I clarify either A it's not the only reason I'm returning or B that it looks like a mark not really a scratch. Maybe she put that as it's a drop down on their end maybe it doesn't even matter?

Its the xf16-55mm so definitely want a pristine copy but I wanted to start using it already lol

Hmmm

The lens I had issue with was also B&H. I certainly don’t want bad mouth then because their CS has always been stellar.   I also order a lot of other electronics from them for the corporation I work for. No issues on that front so wonder if it’s more of a Fuji QC problem?  While I know all manufacturing has QC issues I find it a bit unfortunate given the cost of the lenses and systems.  Also dust inside is a QC failure on several different levels.

McWoodley's gear list:McWoodley's gear list
Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm +8 more

McWoodley wrote:

Fuji mik3 wrote:

Hmmm

The lens I had issue with was also B&H. I certainly don’t want bad mouth then because their CS has always been stellar. I also order a lot of other electronics from them for the corporation I work for. No issues on that front so wonder if it’s more of a Fuji QC problem? While I know all manufacturing has QC issues I find it a bit unfortunate given the cost of the lenses and systems. Also dust inside is a QC failure on several different levels.

Yeah their customer service has always been A+ that's why I went with them when it came to purchasing this lens.

jhorse Veteran Member • Posts: 4,854
Re: Definitely!

David Lal wrote:

If I'd paid good money for a new item I'd expect it to be perfect. A lens such as yours would go straight back.

Agreed. I'd return it without hesitation.

-- hide signature --
 jhorse's gear list:jhorse's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 16mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +6 more
MrSee
MrSee Senior Member • Posts: 2,007

For the $$$ of that lens it would go back for sure.

-- hide signature --

Jim from Ontario Canada
Fuji X-H1
Fuji 18-55 2.8-4

MrSee's gear list:MrSee's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1

Yeah just sent it back it's also on backorder so now I have to wait.

In order to avoid confusion I noted on the RMA that to me it looks more like a mark than a scratch but who knows even with a 900 lumen led shining about in an angle to catch the reflection you barely see it.

Left-right problem?

Fuji mik3 wrote:

In order to avoid confusion I noted on the RMA that to me it looks more like a mark than a scratch but who knows even with a 900 lumen led shining about in an angle to catch the reflection you barely see it.

However, the left-right problem is another matter and bespeaks poor manufacture. As I said, definitely not an item to keep. What else might be wrong with it?

Re: Left-right problem?

David Lal wrote:

Fuji mik3 wrote:

However, the left-right problem is another matter and bespeaks poor manufacture. As I said, definitely not an item to keep. What else might be wrong with it?

Yeah the corners were definitely softer (more the right than the left) at F4 than my viltrox 23 at f2. 8 thru F4. Seems not the norm as other say it's super sharp edge to edge and viltrox 23 corner sharpness is nothing out of this world.

so just an update to this thread BH Photo great customer service without issue exchanged the lens and even placed a hold on one (stock was just replenished so was worried it would go out of stock again) while they waited to receive the defective lens.

went ahead and also bought two Sony M tough SD cards

Win win

Fuji mik3 wrote:

so just an update to this thread BH Photo great customer service without issue exchanged the lens and even placed a hold on one (stock was just replenished so was worried it would go out of stock again) while they waited to receive the defective lens.

went ahead and also bought two Sony M tough SD cards

That's a great outcome Mik - and win-win: you get a properly functioning lens while BH get a rather public plaudit and no doubt have earned your customer loyalty too.

Enjoy the new toy.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads