An X-T3 users thoughts on his X-E3 purchase...

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
DivineMadcat Forum Member • Posts: 91
An X-T3 users thoughts on his X-E3 purchase...

So, not that it matters, but a little over a month ago, i picked up an X-E3 w/ 23mm 1.4 for a song ($450); but had reservations that a body older and more limited than my T3 would be as useful. However, i followed the advice here, and gave it a fair shot; in this time, i also figured it would be good to share my feedback for anyone else who might be wondering. And i will leave a TL:DR for those wondering at the end...

Overall Impressions

Obviously, the body size and style are completely different from the T3, which was my first reservation. I am happy to say that the body style really grew on me. Before my move to Fuji, i had an A6000, and the square RF style body absolutely never grew on me. I hated using the camera, and it didn't stay in my collection long. Thankfully, this camera is a polar opposite; i enjoy using it as much as the T3, and the grip (even without an extension) is excellent. I think i would wish for the dials of the T3, but i have had no problem adapting to the different setup.

Compared to the T3, i have had to be a little more flexible on my configuration, but it still works well. My front dial manages ISO, with shutter generally on A, and aperture adjusted on the lens.

EVF

A number of users asked my thoughts on the EVF in comparison, and i can't say i will really surprise anyone. It is smaller for sure, and i lament the loss of the eye cup (i know there is a 3rd party solution, but....). However, in real world use, i have had no problem making it work, and it has never cost me a shot.

Likewise, the LCD is nice, but I definitely find myself wishing for the adjustable monitor i came to love on the T3. It works, but Fuji has some room to impress if they add that kind of feature. Otherwise, the screen and experience is the same, and using it has been seamless day to day.

Autofocus

Being an older body, I also had worries that the AF would disappoint; thankfully, for the USE CASE i see the E3, it has never been a problem. Right up front, i know my T3 on V4 will blow it out of the water, but i also will not use the E3 in the same situation that my T3 will see (paired with the 100-400 more rugged outdoors, etc). The E3 keeps up very well on the street, and does an excellent job for portrait and still photography.

Image Quality

This was my biggest worry.. would the X-Trans 3 leave me disappointed. Flat out, not at all! Since using it, not once have i hesitated in using it because i was afraid the image quality would be a problem. The colors are wonderful, with the same crisp Fuji color that impressed me with the X-T3. I have even done night photography, and left again very happy.

Other thoughts

Surprisingly, this has become my go to body for walk arounds in the day/night, when i just want something with me. It is 99% used with the 23mm (as such, i now completely understand the X100V), but that may change as i acquire other similar primes (would like an 18, or pancake 27, etc). I love the combination, and it has killed a long standing desire for a mobile setup like an RX100 VI, etc. Right now, the two bodies average a 50/50 use, with the T3 winning on planned trips, and the E3 for any grab and go. I also love how small the E3 is, and i can fit it easily into my T3 bad (Thinktank Streetwalker V2) as a backup body. I really feel that this body has opened me up in what is possible for me, and i am beyond thankful i purchased it when i did.

TL:DR

The E3 has become a beloved addition to my hobby. It commonly goes with me every day (in my man purse... lol), and has impressed me with its versatility. It won't replace my T3, but it definitely made me a more agile and equipped photographer. I solidly recommend such a camera if you are looking for a second body.

Sample Images:

Most of these are with the 23mm, but all with the E3:

DivineMadcat's gear list:DivineMadcat's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +1 more
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flying Fijian Contributing Member • Posts: 832
Re: An X-T3 users thoughts on his X-E3 purchase...

DivineMadcat wrote:

So, not that it matters, but a little over a month ago, i picked up an X-E3 w/ 23mm 1.4 for a song ($450); but had reservations that a body older and more limited than my T3 would be as useful. However, i followed the advice here, and gave it a fair shot; in this time, i also figured it would be good to share my feedback for anyone else who might be wondering. And i will leave a TL:DR for those wondering at the end...

Sounds like a bargain!

Overall Impressions

Obviously, the body size and style are completely different from the T3, which was my first reservation. I am happy to say that the body style really grew on me. Before my move to Fuji, i had an A6000, and the square RF style body absolutely never grew on me. I hated using the camera, and it didn't stay in my collection long. Thankfully, this camera is a polar opposite; i enjoy using it as much as the T3, and the grip (even without an extension) is excellent. I think i would wish for the dials of the T3, but i have had no problem adapting to the different setup.

Yes I like the xe3 too & it's my first fuji camera. Even though I have bought the XT4 as well I still use the xe3 when I need something compact.

Compared to the T3, i have had to be a little more flexible on my configuration, but it still works well. My front dial manages ISO, with shutter generally on A, and aperture adjusted on the lens.

EVF

A number of users asked my thoughts on the EVF in comparison, and i can't say i will really surprise anyone. It is smaller for sure, and i lament the loss of the eye cup (i know there is a 3rd party solution, but....). However, in real world use, i have had no problem making it work, and it has never cost me a shot.

Yes it works OK for me with glasses but they definitely need to improve this for xe4

Likewise, the LCD is nice, but I definitely find myself wishing for the adjustable monitor i came to love on the T3. It works, but Fuji has some room to impress if they add that kind of feature. Otherwise, the screen and experience is the same, and using it has been seamless day to day.

Yes the screen is fine but the resolution is a bit low & a tilt screen would be very welcome to the xe4

Autofocus

Being an older body, I also had worries that the AF would disappoint; thankfully, for the USE CASE i see the E3, it has never been a problem. Right up front, i know my T3 on V4 will blow it out of the water, but i also will not use the E3 in the same situation that my T3 will see (paired with the 100-400 more rugged outdoors, etc). The E3 keeps up very well on the street, and does an excellent job for portrait and still photography.

Yes I've have no issues with AF but the XT3/XT4 are better

Image Quality

This was my biggest worry.. would the X-Trans 3 leave me disappointed. Flat out, not at all! Since using it, not once have i hesitated in using it because i was afraid the image quality would be a problem. The colors are wonderful, with the same crisp Fuji color that impressed me with the X-T3. I have even done night photography, and left again very happy.

Yes the image quality is great even though it might look look like it on the lcd screen

Other thoughts

Surprisingly, this has become my go to body for walk arounds in the day/night, when i just want something with me. It is 99% used with the 23mm (as such, i now completely understand the X100V), but that may change as i acquire other similar primes (would like an 18, or pancake 27, etc). I love the combination, and it has killed a long standing desire for a mobile setup like an RX100 VI, etc. Right now, the two bodies average a 50/50 use, with the T3 winning on planned trips, and the E3 for any grab and go. I also love how small the E3 is, and i can fit it easily into my T3 bad (Thinktank Streetwalker V2) as a backup body. I really feel that this body has opened me up in what is possible for me, and i am beyond thankful i purchased it when i did.

Nice...personally I'm finding that I'm using the XT4 more & more as I'm getting used to the bigger size together with the 16-80mm. I used to prefer more compact but that seems to have changed.

The E3 has become a beloved addition to my hobby. It commonly goes with me every day (in my man purse... lol), and has impressed me with its versatility. It won't replace my T3, but it definitely made me a more agile and equipped photographer. I solidly recommend such a camera if you are looking for a second body.

Sample Images:

Most of these are with the 23mm, but all with the E3:

Nice pics...I still like the xe3 even after getting the XT4 (which cost me 4 times more lol). It works great & is very compact with the pancake lenses or smaller kit lens.

I can highly recommend this as a second camera or for any newcomers wanting to try Fuji. With a few minor improvements the xe4 could be prefect!

Flying Fijian's gear list:Flying Fijian's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
AshleyMC Senior Member • Posts: 1,389

Thanks for sharing your detailed feedback and beautiful photos.

I like my X-E3 - plural, as I have a black and a silver.

They complement my X-T3, which I enjoy in a different way.

Overall, I think Fujifilm has been doing exceptionally well with its APS-C line.

maxxxx Contributing Member • Posts: 947

I had an X-E2 for a while. I really liked it. The only thing I didn’t like was the fixed screen. I am too used to being able to tilt the screen at least to some degree that it really bothered me.

maxxxx's gear list:maxxxx's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +4 more
a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 11,094

A nice summary.  I take my X-T2 when I'm doing more technical stuff (plants in the field) or will be staying close to my transport but otherwise (and generally) the X-E3.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
jhorse Veteran Member • Posts: 4,829

Hi great view. I too am impressed by my XE3 and use it as often as I used my XT3 (and now XT4).  Frankly, in a blind viewing I doubt anyone could tell the difference in image quality for similar shots using the same lens.

I use mine a lot with the 27, but for a small, versatile and svelte kit the XE3, 16/f2.8, 23/f2 and 50/f2 is hard to beat.

Thanks for posting your views.

-- hide signature --
 jhorse's gear list:jhorse's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +6 more
a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 11,094

14, 27, 50 for me for the same reasons.  A kit that will fit in two jacket pockets.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
OP DivineMadcat Forum Member • Posts: 91

Appreciate all the feedback guys! I realized it is probably silly posting a review for a several year old camera, but the camera surprised me so much that I wanted to share some positive thoughts on it. I wasn't sure about it because of age, so anyone considering one... They are still very much with it even in 2020.

And yes, the kit was a hell of a deal. 450 was a lot for me, but for something I find myself using daily,  I don't regret it at all..

Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +1 more
HarriLloyd Regular Member • Posts: 160

Informative post - what camera settings did you use for your images - auto - landscape e.t.c. or your own custom settings ?

Techvet Forum Member • Posts: 84

As a new Fuji X-T3 user I read this thread with interest.    I came from the Canon M series and while the X-T3 is definitely more capable, it also a tad bit larger and heavier.  I had seen the X-E series, but never found much written about them.   This tread made me a realize that for a modest price I could add one to my kit as a more portable and stealthy body.  At the current $499 price it was a no brainer, so I pulled the trigger.   Looking forward to paring it with the three primes I’ve added to my X-T3 / 16-80 set-up.

Techvet's gear list:Techvet's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +5 more

Barcud wrote:

Informative post - what camera settings did you use for your images - auto - landscape e.t.c. or your own custom settings ?

I would have to go back and check what film sims I used (other than the obvious B&W).. otherwise, I shot aperture priority (generally wide open on the amazing 23mm... Freaking love that lens). No auto mode in sight, other than shutter speed. Focus was typically point selection, as I like to be picky. Metering was spot weighted, and tied to the focus point (something I have really come to love, which my older Sony bodies did not do).

Techvet wrote:

As a new Fuji X-T3 user I read this thread with interest. I came from the Canon M series and while the X-T3 is definitely more capable, it also a tad bit larger and heavier. I had seen the X-E series, but never found much written about them. This tread made me a realize that for a modest price I could add one to my kit as a more portable and stealthy body. At the current $499 price it was a no brainer, so I pulled the trigger. Looking forward to paring it with the three primes I’ve added to my X-T3 / 16-80 set-up.

Well, reading this made me feel really glad I shared my experience. I worried reviewing an "old" model would be silly, but I am genuinely glad it helped.

It really is an excellent body, and has greatly enhanced my experience. Since it is so similar to the T3, it's become second nature to grab and start using. And having a smaller, but very capable body means I am much more likely to have a camera with me, which is a huge value itself.

You are right, the price is a steal for what you get, so we'll done on grabbing it. And likewise, if anyone happens upon one hiding in a pawn shop like I did, dont hesitate!!

MrSee
MrSee Senior Member • Posts: 1,973

I like the B&W

-- hide signature --

Jim from Ontario Canada
Fuji X-H1
Fuji 18-55 2.8-4

MrSee's gear list:MrSee's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1
Strobist Junior Member • Posts: 26

Another X-E3 user here...

This camera is my Fuji-goto camera for portability.

For you guys that are looking for something compact, it seems Fuji will be releasing the X-E4 first quarter 2021.

Will I buy the X-E4 on release? - No, my X-E3 will do perfectly fine for the next year or two, but again, for you guys that are looking for something compact to buy - a new generation is around the corner (at a higher price).

Br Strobist

enigmatico Regular Member • Posts: 368

Thanks for a nice write up on your X-E3 and the photo samples. 
I may have missed it, but nobody seems to have mentioned what a beautifully designed camera the X-E3 is. For me, it’s up there with the X100V and the X-Pro3. It’s not as premium built as the other two, but aesthetically it’s just as attractive.

enigmatico's gear list:enigmatico's gear list
Leica Q2 Leica SL (Typ 601) Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Sony a7 III +12 more
Flying Fijian Contributing Member • Posts: 832

enigmatico wrote:

I may have missed it, but nobody seems to have mentioned what a beautifully designed camera the X-E3 is. For me, it’s up there with the X100V and the X-Pro3. It’s not as premium built as the other two, but aesthetically it’s just as attractive.

Oh yes it's a nicely designed camera & I like the brown colour too. Also I find it comfortable to use & haven't bothered to put any additional grip on it either.

Flying Fijian's gear list:Flying Fijian's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more

Bolothegreat wrote:

enigmatico wrote:

Oh yes it's a nicely designed camera & I like the brown colour too. Also I find it comfortable to use & haven't bothered to put any additional grip on it either.

Agreed - it defeats the object of such a small camera for me, if I put an add-on grip on it. But some people find that the added grip completes the camera.

Robmas4229
Robmas4229 Contributing Member • Posts: 980

Bolothegreat wrote:

enigmatico wrote:

The Fuji leather half grip compliments the X-E3 nicely without adding too much bulk.

Robmas4229's gear list:Robmas4229's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +7 more
HamSupLo
HamSupLo New Member • Posts: 23

DivineMadcat wrote:

Overall Impressions

EVF

Autofocus

Image Quality

Other thoughts

Thank you so much for this post. It really, really resonated with me as a current X-T3 owner.

I got back into photography the end of this summer with the purchase of my X-T3. My wife wanted a camera as well and we were debating between the X-T20 and X-E3 (which was an incredibly tough debate). I was leaning toward the X-E3 for the contrast in style compared to the X-T3 but my wife preferred the SLR style of the X-T20 and we ended up finding a really good deal on an X-T30.

Even after purchasing that, there’s still a big part of me that wants an X-E3 but I’m not sure how it would fit when I can borrow my wife’s X-T30 or even use my old X-M1 for an on-the-go option (so far my X-T3 with my 27mm and 18mm has worked perfectly for that). Mentally and emotionally, I’m still trying to get over the hump of not wanting to cannibalize my time with my X-T3 with another piece of gear.

To that end though, I just like where digital photography technology is at right now. I know there’s always room for improvement, but everything (at least with Fuji) feels so right, which is why I’m thinking about buying an X-E3 sometime to mess around with and eventually give to my 10 month old son when he’s older with either a cheap Meike pancake lens or the 15-45mm zoom. I know it'll be outdated by then, but I'm 99% sure it'll still be a joy to use and great to learn with and it'll be considered cheap enough by then that I won't mind giving to a 5 year old.

I don’t want to use my kid as an excuse to make yet another camera purchase as I had always planned to give him my X-M1 but there’s something about the X-E3 that speaks to me. Like you, I didn’t like the rangefinder style much to begin with, but it’s grown on me so much recently; to the point where I want just want something portable in that style and the X-E3 is perfect. I don’t care that the X-E4 is coming out (for now) because all the research I did when deciding between the X-E3 and the X-T20 shows that it’s an amazing camera and your post validates that and it gave me an excuse to vent the above.

HamSupLo's gear list:HamSupLo's gear list
Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +10 more
  1. HamSupLo wrote:

DivineMadcat wrote:

Overall Impressions

EVF

Autofocus

Image Quality

Other thoughts

Thank you so much for this post. It really, really resonated with me as a current X-T3 owner.

I got back into photography the end of this summer with the purchase of my X-T3. My wife wanted a camera as well and we were debating between the X-T20 and X-E3 (which was an incredibly tough debate). I was leaning toward the X-E3 for the contrast in style compared to the X-T3 but my wife preferred the SLR style of the X-T20 and we ended up finding a really good deal on an X-T30.

Even after purchasing that, there’s still a big part of me that wants an X-E3 but I’m not sure how it would fit when I can borrow my wife’s X-T30 or even use my old X-M1 for an on-the-go option (so far my X-T3 with my 27mm and 18mm has worked perfectly for that). Mentally and emotionally, I’m still trying to get over the hump of not wanting to cannibalize my time with my X-T3 with another piece of gear.

To that end though, I just like where digital photography technology is at right now. I know there’s always room for improvement, but everything (at least with Fuji) feels so right, which is why I’m thinking about buying an X-E3 sometime to mess around with and eventually give to my 10 month old son when he’s older with either a cheap Meike pancake lens or the 15-45mm zoom. I know it'll be outdated by then, but I'm 99% sure it'll still be a joy to use and great to learn with and it'll be considered cheap enough by then that I won't mind giving to a 5 year old.

I don’t want to use my kid as an excuse to make yet another camera purchase as I had always planned to give him my X-M1 but there’s something about the X-E3 that speaks to me. Like you, I didn’t like the rangefinder style much to begin with, but it’s grown on me so much recently; to the point where I want just want something portable in that style and the X-E3 is perfect. I don’t care that the X-E4 is coming out (for now) because all the research I did when deciding between the X-E3 and the X-T20 shows that it’s an amazing camera and your post validates that and it gave me an excuse to vent the above.

I used the X-T30 for many months and recently sold it to buy an X-100V. There is something about a very small camera with the viewfinder in the centre, that just feels odd/wrong to me.
Having a small camera body with the EVF on the left makes more ergonomic sense for me; it adds a bit more space between my right hand and my face. Plus it prevents my nose being pressed up against the camera.
I also have an X-E3 and love it for the same reason. Used X-E3’s can be found for great prices these days.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads