Super Telephoto IS Mode 1 vs Mode 3

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
an_also
an_also Contributing Member • Posts: 562
Super Telephoto IS Mode 1 vs Mode 3

Hey friends...

Which IS mode are you guys using most of the time on your super tele lenses?

I've always just used Mode 1 as it's easier to frame up my shots with the steadier image in my viewfinder.

But does mode 3 offer any advantages over mode 1?

Are there more shots in focus for moving subjects when using one mode over the other?

-- hide signature --
 an_also's gear list:an_also's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 400mm F4 DO IS II USM Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +3 more
1Dx4me Forum Pro • Posts: 10,941
Re: Super Telephoto IS Mode 1 vs Mode 3

an_also wrote:

Hey friends...

I've always just used Mode 1 as it's easier to frame up my shots with the steadier image in my viewfinder.

Are there more shots in focus for moving subjects when using one mode over the other?

the user manual for my canon 600mm f4.0 II (which is similar to other teles) indicates:

Mode1: corrects vibrations in all directions for shooting still subjects.

Mode2: corrects vertical camera shakes in a horizontal direction, and corrects

horizontal camera shake during following shots in a vertical direction.

Mode 3: corrects vibration only during exposure. during panning shots, corrects vibration during exposure only in one direction, same as mode2.

if you don't have your manual, you may want to write this down for future references! good luck.

-- hide signature --

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence!

Neil Schofield Contributing Member • Posts: 665

As I recall when the 3 modes first appeared, Brian at the digital picture tested them out and found that mode 3 was just as good and suggested just leaving it on that

I normally shoot BIF and have always used mode 3 on my lenses that have that option, I have occasionally tried mode 2 and to a lesser extent mode 1 on my 600mm and 400mm but always returned to mode 3 as it seemed to give more keepers for my style of shooting

Tannin Senior Member • Posts: 1,397

Mode 3 is significantly superior with long lenses.

In theory, they are the same. However, any in-practice image stabilisation system while hand-holding has two effective components.

We are used to thinking about the IS mechanism in the lens keeping things steady, but there is also a human hand-eye system at work. You look through the viewfinder and you try to hold the image as steady as you can.

Of course we normally ignore this second (human)  component when we are talking about IS  because we assume that it is beyond Canon's control. With Mode 3 IS, however, it is possible to hold the camera much more steadily because you can see exactly what you are doing, and because you have direct feedback on your actions.

This last point is the key one: you can *see* what corrections need to be made to hold the camera steady in a way you simply cannot do with Mode 1 IS. (With Mode 1, you have no way of telling whether the image you see at a given moment is steady because you are holding the camera still, or because the in-lens IS system is correcting for your movements. You have no direct feedback on your steadiness, and it suffers accordingly.

You really have to experience this to properly grasp it. it is a BIG difference.

I can hand hold my 100-400 II down to crazy-low shutter speeds because of IS Mode 3. Ditto the 600/4 II. I don't have any short lenses (e.g., under 100mm) with Mode 3 ability but I suspect that it would not make so much difference there.

But with the longer lenses, it is much better. Worth a couple of stops, easily.

Tannin's gear list:Tannin's gear list
Canon G9 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +10 more

Here is an example: http://tannin.net.au/page.php?image=190414_113853-.jpg 400mm (plus 1.3 APS-H crop factor), 1/30th hand-held.

Canon G9 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +10 more

Tannin wrote:

Here is an example: http://tannin.net.au/page.php?image=190414_113853-.jpg 400mm (plus 1.3 APS-H crop factor), 1/30th hand-held.

like i have this before, there is nothing like developing good handholding camera/lens techniques, not relying too much on IS. personally,  i ignore IS all together as much as i can.

-- hide signature --

Cheers 1Dx4me.  That is the great thing about Mode 3 - you get to hone your hand-holding skill in a way you cannot do with ordinary IS *and* then you get the full benefit of  the lens' IS system as well.

(Do I sound like a fan boy? Well I am. I'd never, ever go back to old-style IS. Not for anything over 100mm.)

an_also
OP an_also Contributing Member • Posts: 562

Tannin wrote:

Mode 3 is significantly superior with long lenses.

In theory, they are the same. However, any in-practice image stabilisation system while hand-holding has two effective components.

We are used to thinking about the IS mechanism in the lens keeping things steady, but there is also a human hand-eye system at work. You look through the viewfinder and you try to hold the image as steady as you can.

Of course we normally ignore this second (human) component when we are talking about IS because we assume that it is beyond Canon's control. With Mode 3 IS, however, it is possible to hold the camera much more steadily because you can see exactly what you are doing, and because you have direct feedback on your actions.

This last point is the key one: you can *see* what corrections need to be made to hold the camera steady in a way you simply cannot do with Mode 1 IS. (With Mode 1, you have no way of telling whether the image you see at a given moment is steady because you are holding the camera still, or because the in-lens IS system is correcting for your movements. You have no direct feedback on your steadiness, and it suffers accordingly.

You really have to experience this to properly grasp it. it is a BIG difference.

I can hand hold my 100-400 II down to crazy-low shutter speeds because of IS Mode 3. Ditto the 600/4 II. I don't have any short lenses (e.g., under 100mm) with Mode 3 ability but I suspect that it would not make so much difference there.

But with the longer lenses, it is much better. Worth a couple of stops, easily.

Thank you for this detailed reply. Do you find you get more in focus shots for action wildlife in Mode 3 vs Mode 1?

I used to shoot the 400 5.6 for a couple of years ago so I can certainly channel my muscle memory of seeing a non stabilized viewfinder view. After i got the 100-400 ii then sold that towards the 400 DO II, I've been using Mode 1 exclusively.

Also is it safe to assume Mode 3 doesn't produce as much wear and tear on your SuperTele's AF system because its not always engaged when you are engaging the camera to focus like Mode 1 does?

-- hide signature --
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 400mm F4 DO IS II USM Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +3 more

an_also wrote:

Thank you for this detailed reply. Do you find you get more in focus shots for action wildlife in Mode 3 vs Mode 1?

I used to shoot the 400 5.6 for a couple of years ago so I can certainly channel my muscle memory of seeing a non stabilized viewfinder view. After i got the 100-400 ii then sold that towards the 400 DO II, I've been using Mode 1 exclusively.

Also is it safe to assume Mode 3 doesn't produce as much wear and tear on your SuperTele's AF system because its not always engaged when you are engaging the camera to focus like Mode 1 does?

Cheers An_also.

I can't say I've noticed a difference as regards focus acquisition for wildlife. I'm generally very happy with my in-focus percentage with both 600/4 II and 100-400 II. But then as regards focus I was happy with the Mark 1 500/4 and 100-400. There may well be a difference, but if so I haven't twigged to it.

You make a good point abut wear. Whether IS system wear is a factor either way I don't know. Logically you would expect so, on the other hand, I've come to regard the Big Whites as immune to wear and trouble. I know they ain't, but they seem to be as close to mechanical perfection as any moving-parts device can sensibly be. (How much work did my wonderful old 500/4 IS Mark 1 do over the years, in Aussie heat and dust and bouncing around on outback roads, in tropical jungles and in driving rain? Just as good today as the day it was made.)  I doubt that we need to worry about it.

an_also
OP an_also Contributing Member • Posts: 562

1Dx4me wrote:

an_also wrote:

Hey friends...

the user manual for my canon 600mm f4.0 II (which is similar to other teles) indicates:

Mode1: corrects vibrations in all directions for shooting still subjects.

Mode2: corrects vertical camera shakes in a horizontal direction, and corrects

horizontal camera shake during following shots in a vertical direction.

Mode 3: corrects vibration only during exposure. during panning shots, corrects vibration during exposure only in one direction, same as mode2.

if you don't have your manual, you may want to write this down for future references! good luck.

Thanks. I bought mine used so I didn’t get a manual along with it.

-- hide signature --
Duckman21 Forum Member • Posts: 87

I'm curious to know whether Canon's Mode 1 has panning detection built in or not. I've heard some lenses have "panning detection" built into mode 1 especially if there are no other modes. On my Tamron 150-600mm G2 I've had shots ruined by motion blur/viewfinder lag because a bird flies and I forget to flick the switch to Mode 2/turn off stabilization. I don't think Tamron's Mode 3 has panning detection built in either - it's a bit better than Mode 1 but only if you take 2-3 shots.

-- hide signature --

Instagram @FYLegend21
500px @frankyboy5

Duckman21's gear list:Duckman21's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2

Canon IS lenses have had panning protection as standard since about 2000 or 2001. Only the first handful of Canon IS lenses ever made did not have it. All are long since out of production.

Duckman21 wrote:

I'm curious to know whether Canon's Mode 1 has panning detection built in or not. I've heard some lenses have "panning detection" built into mode 1 especially if there are no other modes. On my Tamron 150-600mm G2 I've had shots ruined by motion blur/viewfinder lag because a bird flies and I forget to flick the switch to Mode 2/turn off stabilization. I don't think Tamron's Mode 3 has panning detection built in either - it's a bit better than Mode 1 but only if you take 2-3 shots.

well, you know, i have hardly seen any noticeably difference between them. in fact, i have been using Mode1 all along and nothing has change. like i have said before, i could careless if IS is there or not! it maybe helpful but i haven't noticed it. and this is why i am making this statement: i am using a canon 24-70 f2.8 II and used to use a canon 400 f5.6 in the past--neither one has IS i have never let that bother me. i have taken perfectly sharp shots with my 400 f5.6 lens down to 1/60sec with it.

-- hide signature --

Duckman21 Forum Member • Posts: 87

Tannin wrote:

Canon IS lenses have had panning protection as standard since about 2000 or 2001. Only the first handful of Canon IS lenses ever made did not have it. All are long since out of production.

To have panning detection is one thing, but to not implement it into a lens with multiple stabilization modes is another. Tamron and Sigma have panning detection on many of their lenses that have only a single mode, but for whatever reason their multi-mode lenses don't. The Tamron 150-600mm G1 did not have panning detection at launch but was added via firmware (though you must turn it in to Tamron services, because it's not compatible with the Tap-in Console), but the G2 still doesn't have it in its mode 1.

-- hide signature --

Instagram @FYLegend21
500px @frankyboy5

Duckman21's gear list:Duckman21's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads