How sharp is the DA* 300? Can it resolve the rings of Saturn?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
paulkienitz
paulkienitz Veteran Member • Posts: 5,419
How sharp is the DA* 300? Can it resolve the rings of Saturn?

That's a short exposure with no stacking.  I used the Q, so I could get the most out of the lens without the sensor pitch being a factor.  Aiming was not easy, nor was focusing.

Also looked at Jupiter with it.  It makes a blob about as big across as the width of the rings, but I could not resolve any stripes or other features.

-- hide signature --

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand." -- Ansel

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
Joseph Tainter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,408
Re: How sharp is the DA* 300? Can it resolve the rings of Saturn?

Amazing that you got this with the Q.

Joe

paulkienitz
OP paulkienitz Veteran Member • Posts: 5,419

Joseph Tainter wrote:

Amazing that you got this with the Q.

And that's really just a proof of concept.  If I got an O-GPS1 and some stacking software, I could probably produce a far better image.

-- hide signature --

Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
James O'Neill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,273

paulkienitz wrote:

That's a short exposure with no stacking. I used the Q, so I could get the most out of the lens without the sensor pitch being a factor. Aiming was not easy, nor was focusing.

Also looked at Jupiter with it. It makes a blob about as big across as the width of the rings, but I could not resolve any stripes or other features.

<tips hat>

I tried Jupiter with the DFA* 85

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64221087

Obviously way too small to be meaningful but at the same time what resolving power.  Saturn + rings was a smudge about that same size but it was just too small to see rings.

James O'Neill's gear list:James O'Neill's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +2 more
Rod Herdman Veteran Member • Posts: 3,286

When you say resolve the rings of Saturn, do you mean just to have the rings visible as separate from the planet, or resolve the Cassini division in the rings ?

I think it would separate the rings from the planet. But not resolve the division.

I got this with my Pentax Q last month using a 1000mm f8.3 refractor. Justabout resolving the division in the rings despite it being low in the sky.

-- hide signature --

All I want is a digital back for my trusty K1000 . . .

Rod Herdman's gear list:Rod Herdman's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED +12 more
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 40,764

I'd expect the atmosphere could destroy results from even the best lenses money can buy

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/user/SpeEedy/profile/photos?sortBy=photoFavoriteCount

DavidWright2010 Senior Member • Posts: 2,656

MightyMike wrote:

I'd expect the atmosphere could destroy results from even the best lenses money can buy

Just a quick visit to Astrobin gave me this, taken at 2700 mm:

David

DavidWright2010's gear list:DavidWright2010's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD1 Merrill Pentax K-1 +1 more
stargeezer Junior Member • Posts: 31

DavidWright2010 wrote

Just a quick visit to Astrobin gave me this, taken at 2700 mm:

David

Only 25000 frames stacked on a mak telescope with a video camera.

Newe technology is amazing

Joe

stargeezer's gear list:stargeezer's gear list
Nikon D7100 Pentax K-3 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III +4 more
paulkienitz
OP paulkienitz Veteran Member • Posts: 5,419

Rod Herdman wrote:

When you say resolve the rings of Saturn, do you mean just to have the rings visible as separate from the planet, or resolve the Cassini division in the rings ?

I think it would separate the rings from the planet. But not resolve the division.

I got this with my Pentax Q last month using a 1000mm f8.3 refractor. Justabout resolving the division in the rings despite it being low in the sky.

I've been tempted by the idea of buying a Ritchey-Chretien... maybe after I reach retirement age.

-- hide signature --

TomWret
TomWret Veteran Member • Posts: 3,938

That's pretty friken amazing.

Tom W

-- hide signature --

...a bad picture is like a missed putt, it's never your fault: My new site https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/3-thomas-whitehurst

TomWret's gear list:TomWret's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +9 more
DavidWright2010 Senior Member • Posts: 2,656

TomWret wrote:

That's pretty friken amazing.

Tom W

What's amazing is that anyone could buy the (relatively) modestly--priced equipment and get this result.

50 years ago that concept would have been ridiculed as preposterous.

David

DavidWright2010's gear list:DavidWright2010's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD1 Merrill Pentax K-1 +1 more
Holger Bargen Veteran Member • Posts: 4,386

paulkienitz wrote:

That's a short exposure with no stacking. I used the Q, so I could get the most out of the lens without the sensor pitch being a factor. Aiming was not easy, nor was focusing.

Also looked at Jupiter with it. It makes a blob about as big across as the width of the rings, but I could not resolve any stripes or other features.

I would like to see that photos taken with K3iii !

My expections would be high.

Holger Bargen's gear list:Holger Bargen's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-S1 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +7 more
drummercam Senior Member • Posts: 1,729

Several here have shown it can be done with the Pentax Q system (1.17 sensor).

I have NOT achieved the same on K-S2 (20mpx APS-C), even with 1.4 teleconverter, although my tripod might not be stable enough, vibrating possibly even from street traffic. Saturn and rings remain a smudge.

BTW, Saturn is tipped in a good position relative to earth right now, and for a few more months
-------------------
"Elegance of operation" -- Pentax
"Heavy for its size" -- DPR

drummercam's gear list:drummercam's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital III Leica Q Pentax K-01 Pentax Q7 Pentax K-3 +11 more
Rod Herdman Veteran Member • Posts: 3,286

paulkienitz wrote:

I've been tempted by the idea of buying a Ritchey-Chretien... maybe after I reach retirement age.

I've also got quite a few things lined up for retirement

-- hide signature --

All I want is a digital back for my trusty K1000 . . .

Rod Herdman's gear list:Rod Herdman's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED +12 more
hanhait Senior Member • Posts: 1,284

You must consider the pixel size here; those of the K3III sensor might still be larger.

hanhait's gear list:hanhait's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K-5 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +9 more
Kleon Junior Member • Posts: 26
-- hide signature --

Dear Tainter, my opinion is that you made a miracle to obtain such a photo!
Even with a 20 Cm mirror Celestron I hardly could get more!
For resolution of the rings is better you put your heart in peace!
We are light years far aways!
My compliments.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads