Started 6 months ago | Discussions
RichLI Regular Member • Posts: 273
Pixma Pro - 200 available in USA

Just got an email with holiday promotion and PP200 is included

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/pixma-pro-200

-- hide signature --

Rich

RichLI's gear list:RichLI's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Canon Pixma Pro-100 Apple iPhone 11 +3 more
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 5,833
At $600, and widers panoramas

Good tip! I see they're charging $600 for it, and say it's in stock. OTOH, the ink is a bit cheaper: $106 for the set of CLI-65s, versus $125 for the set of CLI-42s for the Pro-100.

And the specifications say, "Maximum Paper Size39 Inches" which is a big increase from the Pro-100's maximum of 26.61 inches long. OTOH, the Pro-100 can actually print on 14" wide paper (up to 13.74" printed), but the Pro-200 is down to 13" maximum width.

And B&H is now listing it too (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1602503-REG/canon_4280c002_pixma_pro_200.html), as a "New Item - Coming Soon".

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
aboulfad
aboulfad Regular Member • Posts: 317
Re: Pixma Pro - 200 available in USA

Darn, that would make it a $1000CAD printer... I’ll hang on a bit longer to my pro-100

aboulfad's gear list:aboulfad's gear list
Apple iPhone XS Max
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 43,506
Re: At $600, and widers panoramas

NAwlins Contrarian wrote:

Good tip! I see they're charging $600 for it, and say it's in stock. OTOH, the ink is a bit cheaper: $106 for the set of CLI-65s, versus $125 for the set of CLI-42s for the Pro-100.

Saw that for the ink... I wonder what we could estimate the cost per print would be.

And the specifications say, "Maximum Paper Size39 Inches" which is a big increase from the Pro-100's maximum of 26.61 inches long. OTOH, the Pro-100 can actually print on 14" wide paper (up to 13.74" printed), but the Pro-200 is down to 13" maximum width.

And B&H is now listing it too (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1602503-REG/canon_4280c002_pixma_pro_200.html), as a "New Item - Coming Soon".

My only hope is that B&W is more neutral.  Seems like they have reformulated two inks (black is one of them).

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Jk1002 Forum Member • Posts: 73

RichLI wrote:

Is there a discount with that email or just product announcement? 600$ it shows for me, that seems to be the normal street price.

Someone commented on the small ink tanks but from what I saw they are equally expensive as the epson’s by the ml for the higher printer.

JK

Jk1002's gear list:Jk1002's gear list
Leica Q Sony RX100 VI Leica M (Typ 262) +2 more
farmersteve
farmersteve Senior Member • Posts: 1,035

Raist3d wrote:

NAwlins Contrarian wrote:

Saw that for the ink... I wonder what we could estimate the cost per print would be.

My only hope is that B&W is more neutral. Seems like they have reformulated two inks (black is one of them).

I have never been happy with the Pro-100 and monochrome after numerous tries and papers. I gave up and love my Pro-10. I'm not upgrading until they offer these at the prices I got my 100 and 10 at ($79 and $149 respectively). I could be waiting a long time!

farmersteve's gear list:farmersteve's gear list
Sony a6000 Canon EOS RP Canon Pixma Pro-10 Canon Pixma Pro-100 +2 more
Gwand Junior Member • Posts: 28

Just as a side note, I see on Canon’s website that there is one review. He gave it a “2” without even buying it! Don’t you love people like that?

Gwand's gear list:Gwand's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R5 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +8 more
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 5,833

Just as a side note, I see on Canon’s website that there is one review. He gave it a “2” without even buying it! Don’t you love people like that?

Maybe the same jerk who posted the only review at B&H (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1602503-REG/canon_4280c002_pixma_pro_200.html/reviews), about a printer the reviewer has not had, providing no information that is not otherwise readily available. I flagged it there, but it's still up.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
chrisgalway New Member • Posts: 8

No Big Sur SETUP or Driver for P200

The Pixma Pro 200 is available in Europe, at least in Ireland, I bought one this week.  But beware, there is ... unbelievably ... no driver for Mac OS11 (Big Sur), so I have a pile of plastic and metal weighing at least 20lbs sitting on my desk, quite unusable.   So if you buy this, and are using a Mac, make sure you are running OS10.14 (Catalina) or earlier, back to 10.12.

The (UK) Canon Service Centre did respond to my complaint in a few hours, confirming there is no Big Sur driver or Startup app, and also confirming that they have no news of when they will be released.  Amazing.

Big Sur has been available to developers since last June, so it is really disappointing that Canon could not make sure that the latest Macs can link to this printer.  I have around 50 apps on my Mac, and after upgrading, all of them work fine with Big Sur, even those from small developers.  One would expect a large company like Canon had the resources to do the same.   I've always used HP Printers, never a problem with drivers, I hope this bad start in my switch to Canon does not continue in future.

So beware: if you are using a Mac with the latest OS, I would not recommend buying this until Big Sur drivers are available.

John_Hoffman
John_Hoffman Senior Member • Posts: 1,967

Support - PIXMA PRO-200 - Canon South & Southeast Asia

-- hide signature --

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

John_Hoffman's gear list:John_Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM +9 more
chrisgalway New Member • Posts: 8

John,  Thanks for finding that, but I wonder what OS 10.15 is?    There is no OS10.15 for a Mac, Apple went from 10.14 to 11.0.   It's not a trivial change, as OS11.0 runs on the new Apple M1 SoC, as well as on the Intel family.

I did not try the drivers at the link you gave, partly out of caution (I do not feel like experimenting at this stage) but largely because I just heard today from my dealer that Canon Support in Europe has said that the OS11 Big Sur Setup and Driver package will be available on Monday 7th December (or soon after).  We'll see,

Thanks again.

Howard Moftich Veteran Member • Posts: 9,969

MacOS 10.15 -> Catalina, the direct predecessor to Big Sur

-- hide signature --

Online civility: Before you press 'Post', ask yourself if you'd say that to someone face to face.

Jk1002 Forum Member • Posts: 73

I did install the Pro-300 without glitch under 11.01

I followed the procedure on an instruction sheet and it downloaded an installation program and then through that a suitable driver. For the 300 it does show the same version for 10.15 and 11. Same is valid for the 200 on the Canon website with the 11 driver linked above. Maybe just let the install program do its thing.

Cheers

JK

Jk1002's gear list:Jk1002's gear list
Leica Q Sony RX100 VI Leica M (Typ 262) +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads