Frustrated at Canon's Factory Service

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Jayson A New Member • Posts: 9
Frustrated at Canon's Factory Service

At the beginning of October, I noticed some dust specks in my viewfinder, so naturally, I grabbed my little hand blower thingie and tried to blast them away. Well, it only made it worse because my blower is quite old and I think the rubber is coming off of it. Anyways, now I had black specks that were sharp and more in focus. So I took a cotton swab and VERY GENTLY tapped the focus screen to try to remove the specks and now I had little pieces of cotton on my focus screen! ARGH! So I stopped messing with it and contacted Canon for a cleaning.

I sent my Canon Rebel SL3 to Canon and paid the $63 plus paid for shipping and insurance on the shipment. They received my camera, cleaned it and it was back in my hands almost a week later. Great.

When I opened the package the first thing I did was look through the viewfinder and lo and behold, there was still something there, but it wasn't a spec or a piece of cotton, it was a hard line right inside the center dot's square. I thought maybe it was a tiny hair or something, so I contacted Canon AGAIN and complained that they didn't clean the whole thing like they said. The person understood and sent me a shipping label to have my SL3 serviced again (because they offer a 6 month warranty on all repairs). So I said, sure what the hell could it hurt. I'll tell them the exact issue and they'll fix it for free. Awesome.

A few days later, they looked at my camera and sent me a quote for $103 to fix it. Well, I'm not paying anything since it was their fault in the first place, so I called them up again to see what was going on. They understood and saw that the camera was just there a week earlier for the first cleaning. They agreed that it should be free and sent me another email for $0 for the repair.

A day later, the repair was complete and the camera was shipped back to me.

Well, I just got my camera today and guess what... nothing has changed. It's still exactly the same, except all of my settings are reset for the second time in a row.

Below is the best picture I could get with my iPhone looking into the viewfinder. I guess to some it's not really a big deal and it doesn't affect pictures, but the fact that I sent it there and even wrote on the repair sheet where exactly the issue was and they sent it back saying it was "fixed" is the part that bothers me. They could've at least told me that there was no way to fix that.

I feel like I wasted MY time and THEIR time with this whole thing, plus I had to go another whole week without my camera and that was hard.

I know there are worse things to worry about, but I literally just got this camera and I wasn't ready for it being damaged so soon. Guess I'll just have to live with my eff up.

Thanks for reading my story if you got this far.

Digirame Forum Pro • Posts: 39,427
Re: Frustrated at Canon's Factory Service

I see the small line in the center.  I'm sorry to hear your troubles.  If it were me, I would ignore it.  I think I have specks of dust in my viewfinder and I don't pay attention to it, since it does not interfere with my ability to take photos.

But we are all different.  If it still bothers you, you could probably sell it on something like Ebay for a good amount.  You could let them know of the imperfection, and I think you would get a lot of people interested in it.  Or go to a camera shop and trade it in for another camera.

OP Jayson A New Member • Posts: 9

Yeah, I think I'm just gonna ignore it. I actually like using Live View more than the viewfinder anyway because I like the tracking features, eye detect and being able to tap anywhere on the screen I want to focus.

karl mohr Senior Member • Posts: 1,661

Probably a scratch on the very tender focus screen - they probably should've just replaced the entire focus screen.  It could possibly be done by the consumer - I've heard of people doing it on the older rebels.  Actually, my old 60D has a user-replaceable focus screen.  Check youtube.

-- hide signature --
 karl mohr's gear list:karl mohr's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +3 more
benjilafouine Veteran Member • Posts: 3,661

Jayson A wrote:

Yeah, I think I'm just gonna ignore it. I actually like using Live View more than the viewfinder anyway because I like the tracking features, eye detect and being able to tap anywhere on the screen I want to focus.

Some camera stores offer a cleaning service. Maybe you should ask around. But it may be a scratch made during cleaning.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
There is always something to shoot/snap, you just have to know how to do it and have the right gear.
Benji

benjilafouine's gear list:benjilafouine's gear list
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX110 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS 40D +12 more

So I called them to tell them I was unhappy with my service since I told them exactly what was wrong with it and they still didn't do anything.

So the guy offered me to send it BACK IN to have it serviced ONCE AGAIN and this time he swore that it would definitely be fixed. I told him to put on the work sheet "Replace focus screen" so that there's no confusion.

Anyways, I sent it back to them last Tuesday and they got it on Thursday and it's been stuck on "We're currently servicing your canon product" since Friday.

Oh well. Hopefully that means they're waiting for parts to come in or it's just taking a really long time.

Jayson A wrote:

So I called them to tell them I was unhappy with my service since I told them exactly what was wrong with it and they still didn't do anything.

So the guy offered me to send it BACK IN to have it serviced ONCE AGAIN and this time he swore that it would definitely be fixed. I told him to put on the work sheet "Replace focus screen" so that there's no confusion.

Anyways, I sent it back to them last Tuesday and they got it on Thursday and it's been stuck on "We're currently servicing your canon product" since Friday.

Oh well. Hopefully that means they're waiting for parts to come in or it's just taking a really long time.

At this point, just make a long prayer!!!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
There is always something to shoot/snap, you just have to know how to do it and have the right gear.
Benji

Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX110 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EOS 40D +12 more

Still waiting for them to service my camera, but while I was waiting, I managed to secure a PS5 from Sony's website, so now I have to look forward to that!

GUYS! They FINALLY fixed my camera for real this time! Such a relief. Now, I'm never going to touch it ever again.

It's hard capturing it with my phone, but you get the idea. It's spotless now. I can finally rest easy.

Digirame Forum Pro • Posts: 39,427

That's good news.  Congratulations.  I hope you enjoy your camera.

Another happy customer!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Benji

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads