I need your advice!!!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Nickemmano Forum Member • Posts: 94
I need your advice!!!

I recently made a question to the forum regarding the latest mirrorless systems and what they offer compared to each other. Another consideration is of course cost. Almost all big 3 offer me the lenses i want (natively) but i see some serious variation of price. These are the kits i am considering for each:

- Canon: EOS R5 (4800 euro), 15-35(2690 euro), 70-200 2.8 (3000 euro), 50mm (i will post the price of the 1.2 even though 1.4 is plenty enough- 2640 euro) and a macro lens whenever that comes out and whatever the price (i assume it wont be more than 1200 euro). An estimated price for the whole kit based on the current native lenses along with bags, cards, batteries etc is about 15000 euro

Nikon: Z7 II (although not still available here i assume at most 3500 euro), 14-24 (unreleased but i assume around 2400 euro) or 14-30 (1440 euro) or 20 1.8 (1190 euro), 35 1.8 (949), 50 (649) and 70-200 2.8 (2799) and a future macro lens (possibly 1100) along with the miscallenious stuff for a grand total of 11000 euro at the most (maybe 10000 euro if i buy the less expensive ones)

- Sony: a7R IV (3600 euro), sigma 14-24 (1500 euro) or tamron 17-28 (1000 euro) or 20 1.8 (1090 euro) or sony 24 1.4 (1500 euro), sigma 35 (810 euro), sigma 50 (750), sony 90 macro (1100) and 70-200 2.8 (2839). Not sure about the sigma primes as they are from dslr but i assume sigma will update them at about the same price and given that the af is great on them. Anyway along with all other accessories the price is ranging from 10840-11340 euro (based on the wide lens)

Based on this info what would you choose as a system? (A recommendation for the wide lens or some change based on your experience would be nice)

FYI i used to shoot on d5300 with the kit 18-140 and rented lenses to cover some needs. I shoot landscapes, city and travel. I sometimes if i have the chance will shoot for the occasional astro. The macro lens will be used for some product photography as i am trying to make my own travel-food blog. Below there is a breakdown of every FL i ve used and why so if you want to give some lens recommendations you could base your opinion on this. Thank u all in advance

Canon EOS R5 Nikon D5300 Nikon Z7 II Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ly2photos
ly2photos Forum Member • Posts: 92
Re: I need your advice!!!

Do you need f2.8? The f4 versions of the lenses are wayyy cheaper

-- hide signature --
 ly2photos's gear list:ly2photos's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
OP Nickemmano Forum Member • Posts: 94
Re: I need your advice!!!

nayyyyyyy7 wrote:

Do you need f2.8? The f4 versions of the lenses are wayyy cheaper

For the wide end because i like the occasional astro i could use all the light i could gather. At the tele because i dont intend to buy a 85 and like to snap the occasional portrait i would like the more dreamy bokeh. Plus i use it a lot for landscape especially during dusk soo...

ly2photos
ly2photos Forum Member • Posts: 92
Re: I need your advice!!!

Nickemmano wrote:

nayyyyyyy7 wrote:

Do you need f2.8? The f4 versions of the lenses are wayyy cheaper

For the wide end because i like the occasional astro i could use all the light i could gather. At the tele because i dont intend to buy a 85 and like to snap the occasional portrait i would like the more dreamy bokeh. Plus i use it a lot for landscape especially during dusk soo...

Ok, but a 70-200 f4 + an 85 1.8 would still be cheaper than a 70-200 2.8, especially if portraits are only occasional. And you should probably use a tripod for most of your landscape work, especially if it's during dusk.

Edit: it will most likely be lighter as well

-- hide signature --
 ly2photos's gear list:ly2photos's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
OP Nickemmano Forum Member • Posts: 94
Re: I need your advice!!!

nayyyyyyy7 wrote:

Nickemmano wrote:

nayyyyyyy7 wrote:

Do you need f2.8? The f4 versions of the lenses are wayyy cheaper

For the wide end because i like the occasional astro i could use all the light i could gather. At the tele because i dont intend to buy a 85 and like to snap the occasional portrait i would like the more dreamy bokeh. Plus i use it a lot for landscape especially during dusk soo...

Ok, but a 70-200 f4 + an 85 1.8 would still be cheaper than a 70-200 2.8, especially if portraits are only occasional. And you should probably use a tripod for most of your landscape work, especially if it's during dusk.

Edit: it will most likely be lighter as well

not by much. and it would add one more lens than the one done lens. anyway. what have you chosen as a system and what would you buy based on the given info

Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 21,042
This is your 7th thread - update, now 8th
2

You have started 7 threads in four different forums on essentially the same topic. If you haven't been able to make up your mind so far, I am not sure that another thread is going to help.

You are planning to go from just above an entry level Nikon DSLR and a kit lens to professional level kit and are spending a huge amount. That doesn't sound like a sensible plan to me.

Canon, Nikon and Sony all produce excellent cameras and lenses and you can't go wrong with any of them. So choose one of them (by flipping a coin if you really can't decide) and build gradually so that you find out what body suits you best and what lenses you need. Consider buying used.

Spend any money you save on photography weekends or guided photography trips.

You have just started an 8th thread!

-- hide signature --

Chris R

 Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads