Nikkor 800mm F5.6 Ai-s ED

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
John Crowe
John Crowe Contributing Member • Posts: 928
Re: Did it ... Nikkor 800mm F5.6 Ai-s ED
1

It is ridiculous that eBay is forcing, or being forced into, collecting tax.  I recently ran into this as a seller, will have to be careful as a buyer.  I am international, and it only used to happen with their global program, so I would always avoid those terms.

 John Crowe's gear list:John Crowe's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Irix 11mm F4 +14 more
RealVSK Regular Member • Posts: 463
Re: Did it ... Nikkor 800mm F5.6 Ai-s ED

John Crowe wrote:

It is ridiculous that eBay is forcing, or being forced into, collecting tax. I recently ran into this as a seller, will have to be careful as a buyer. I am international, and it only used to happen with their global program, so I would always avoid those terms.

Next stop, Craigslist ... I got cha lens right heeya, in this dark alley, in the trunk of my car... don't be afraid !! Hahaha

 RealVSK's gear list:RealVSK's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +23 more
John Crowe
John Crowe Contributing Member • Posts: 928
Re: Did it ... Nikkor 800mm F5.6 Ai-s ED

I have been doing a lot more on Kijiji in the past year safely and successfully.  COD in Canada works very well too.

 John Crowe's gear list:John Crowe's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Irix 11mm F4 +14 more
Gearsau
Gearsau Senior Member • Posts: 2,015
Re: Did it ... Nikkor 800mm F5.6 Ai-s ED
1

RealVSK wrote:

OK,

Enough, I've thought about this for quite a while and this thread spurred my Gear Acquisition Syndrome really bad. I bought the US-located one on eBay. The seller lowered the price and further for watchers. The TAX though! Oops.

Anyway, he should ship it late November. In time for Snowy Owl season in NYC.

I'll try to post some stuff with my D850 and D7200 with and without the TC301 2x teleconverter when I get it.

House needs so much work. I am nuts!!

vsk

Good luck with the TC301. I had one 25 Plus years ago.  I never liked it, and, sold it.  I did use a TC14B with my Nikon 800mm f5.6. It did work, as long as the lighting conditions are OK.

Also, beware of shooting on a hot day over a long distance.  I was shooting the Suzuka 8 Hour Motor Cycle Race... way back in 1990. ( man 30 years ago .....time flies)

Lots of heat distortion, and, much of my trannies were soft.

I did shoot a swimsuit model once....... Amazing results . Bokeh to die for

Regards Peter

Nikon 800mm f5.6, Nikon 500mm f AF-I and Nikon 300mm f2.8 AF-S

 Gearsau's gear list:Gearsau's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +20 more
RealVSK Regular Member • Posts: 463
Re: Did it ... Nikkor 800mm F5.6 Ai-s ED

Gearsau wrote:

RealVSK wrote:

OK,

Enough, I've thought about this for quite a while and this thread spurred my Gear Acquisition Syndrome really bad. I bought the US-located one on eBay. The seller lowered the price and further for watchers. The TAX though! Oops.

Anyway, he should ship it late November. In time for Snowy Owl season in NYC.

I'll try to post some stuff with my D850 and D7200 with and without the TC301 2x teleconverter when I get it.

House needs so much work. I am nuts!!

vsk

Good luck with the TC301. I had one 25 Plus years ago. I never liked it, and, sold it. I did use a TC14B with my Nikon 800mm f5.6. It did work, as long as the lighting conditions are OK.

Also, beware of shooting on a hot day over a long distance. I was shooting the Suzuka 8 Hour Motor Cycle Race... way back in 1990. ( man 30 years ago .....time flies)

Lots of heat distortion, and, much of my trannies were soft.

I did shoot a swimsuit model once....... Amazing results . Bokeh to die for

Regards Peter

I can't wait to take my Gearsau Halloween costume pic with the big glass!! Hahaha.

I will probably sell my 600f4AIS.  I have a 600F5.6 AI.   I might look for a smaller teleconverter as well.  I'm either doing moon/monument pics or daylight birds.  I'm too tired to get up for dawn bird pics so I don't think I'll miss the f4.  Also kite surfers around here too.  I might shoot my friend @rozalindauhl with it, she's up for anything! haha  I find the silent live view shutter of the D850 indispensable.

I've been a zoomahaulic for a while.   I get the atmosphere thing.

Thanks !!

 RealVSK's gear list:RealVSK's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +23 more
Kenster63
Kenster63 Regular Member • Posts: 164
Re: Did it ... Nikkor 800mm F5.6 Ai-s ED
2

I recently got a TC14B for my 800 and am very surprised at how little the image quality gets degraded when using it. The results are more than satisfactory to me, and I would consider myself at least a moderate pixel peeper.

-- hide signature --

Life is short. Spend as much time as you can quibbling with strangers on the Internet.
https://www.dpreview.com/members/3553666329/challenges

 Kenster63's gear list:Kenster63's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro +7 more
RealVSK Regular Member • Posts: 463
Nikkor 800mm F5.6 Ai-s ED Arrive!
1

Nice big package came today !

Gorgeous finish, very little dust inside.

The focus barrel is smooth but tight.  Not chattery or bindy.  It feels new actually.

Extra 52mm filter holder.

Does not feel any bulkier than my 600mm F4 AIS.

It's windy and rainy outside, I can't wait to put it through its paces!

vsk

 RealVSK's gear list:RealVSK's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +23 more
Kenster63
Kenster63 Regular Member • Posts: 164
Re: Nikkor 800mm F5.6 Ai-s ED Arrive!

RealVSK wrote:

Nice big package came today !

Gorgeous finish, very little dust inside.

The focus barrel is smooth but tight. Not chattery or bindy. It feels new actually.

Extra 52mm filter holder.

Does not feel any bulkier than my 600mm F4 AIS.

It's windy and rainy outside, I can't wait to put it through its paces!

vsk

Fantastic! Post some pics and more thoughts on it when you can. Do you have a gimbal head?

-- hide signature --

Life is short. Spend as much time as you can quibbling with strangers on the Internet.
https://www.dpreview.com/members/3553666329/challenges

 Kenster63's gear list:Kenster63's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro +7 more
annettep38
annettep38 Regular Member • Posts: 126
Re: Nikkor 800mm F5.6 Ai-s ED Arrive!

I still mourn for mine, was stolen 4 years ago and never could afford anything nice since

-- hide signature --

https://500px.com/AnnetteFlottwell
stolen: , my 24-70 nº297446 and my 85 1.4 AI 197908 REWARD for finding my stuff the rest is back thanks to WR from Cartago and Cañas OIJ

 annettep38's gear list:annettep38's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +9 more
RealVSK Regular Member • Posts: 463
Re: Nikkor 800mm F5.6 Ai-s ED Arrive!

Kenster63 wrote:

RealVSK wrote:

Nice big package came today !

Gorgeous finish, very little dust inside.

The focus barrel is smooth but tight. Not chattery or bindy. It feels new actually.

Extra 52mm filter holder.

Does not feel any bulkier than my 600mm F4 AIS.

It's windy and rainy outside, I can't wait to put it through its paces!

vsk

Fantastic! Post some pics and more thoughts on it when you can. Do you have a gimbal head?

I have a Gitzo something or other carbon tripod that's fine.  I cheaped out a while back and got a Gepe gimbal, which is fine but the center mounting screw is either kind of tight or loose and wobbly or just right for a second!  But it's fine.  A Wemberly will come along some time.

This will spend a bit of time on my Oben monopod with a Sunway Photo tilt head.  I just ordered a couple of release plates.

This lens is longer than the 600f4 ais, but the objective is smaller on the 800, so they are not really noticeably different.

vsk

 RealVSK's gear list:RealVSK's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +23 more
Doug Greenberg Contributing Member • Posts: 785
Re: Nikkor 800mm F5.6 Ai-s ED

I am late to the party here, but my two cents' worth: I purchased this lens in really excellent condition from KEH a few years ago. It is very sharp; no problem there. As others have indicated, its being f5.6 and manual focus means that one has to hone some focusing skills. But this is not rocket science. The lens is very large and heavy. Results can be superb. I put a Lenscoat on mine. It is wonderful lens, especially considering its priced used, a fraction of the price of the contemporary AF VR version.

That said, I don't use the lens often at all, especially since COVID, and also because frankly, my GAS has led me to own multiple long lenses within both the Nikon and Olympus systems. I was just thinking recently that I should sell my 800 f5.6 MF. But it is so big and heavy, just dealing with shipping is a headache. I will stay put for now.

Blue-winged teal, Arrowhead Marsh, Oakland, CA  Nikon D850, Nikkor 800mm f5.6 EDIF AI-S

Doug Greenberg

 Doug Greenberg's gear list:Doug Greenberg's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +12 more
RealVSK Regular Member • Posts: 463
Re: Nikkor 800mm F5.6 Ai-s ED

Doug Greenberg wrote:

I am late to the party here, but my two cents' worth: I purchased this lens in really excellent condition from KEH a few years ago. It is very sharp; no problem there. As others have indicated, its being f5.6 and manual focus means that one has to hone some focusing skills. But this is not rocket science. The lens is very large and heavy. Results can be superb. I put a Lenscoat on mine. It is wonderful lens, especially considering its priced used, a fraction of the price of the contemporary AF VR version.

That said, I don't use the lens often at all, especially since COVID, and also because frankly, my GAS has led me to own multiple long lenses within both the Nikon and Olympus systems. I was just thinking recently that I should sell my 800 f5.6 MF. But it is so big and heavy, just dealing with shipping is a headache. I will stay put for now.

Blue-winged teal, Arrowhead Marsh, Oakland, CA Nikon D850, Nikkor 800mm f5.6 EDIF AI-S

Doug Greenberg

I absolutely don't shoot as often as I'd like.  Many times I take out my 200-500afs.

But when I do a moon alignment with a structure, can never get close enough sometimes.  I may shed my 600mmf4 ais, not sure.

D850, 200-500mm crop crop crop!

vsk

 RealVSK's gear list:RealVSK's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +23 more
LensWizard
LensWizard Senior Member • Posts: 1,473
Re: Nikkor 800mm F5.6 Ai-s ED

RealVSK wrote:

Doug Greenberg wrote:

I am late to the party here, but my two cents' worth: I purchased this lens in really excellent condition from KEH a few years ago. It is very sharp; no problem there. As others have indicated, its being f5.6 and manual focus means that one has to hone some focusing skills. But this is not rocket science. The lens is very large and heavy. Results can be superb. I put a Lenscoat on mine. It is wonderful lens, especially considering its priced used, a fraction of the price of the contemporary AF VR version.

That said, I don't use the lens often at all, especially since COVID, and also because frankly, my GAS has led me to own multiple long lenses within both the Nikon and Olympus systems. I was just thinking recently that I should sell my 800 f5.6 MF. But it is so big and heavy, just dealing with shipping is a headache. I will stay put for now.

Blue-winged teal, Arrowhead Marsh, Oakland, CA Nikon D850, Nikkor 800mm f5.6 EDIF AI-S

Doug Greenberg

I absolutely don't shoot as often as I'd like. Many times I take out my 200-500afs.

But when I do a moon alignment with a structure, can never get close enough sometimes. I may shed my 600mmf4 ais, not sure.

D850, 200-500mm crop crop crop!

vsk

and this is your 800MM Nikon lens as thread header...?  sweet...

-- hide signature --

Canon XLH1 Video, Profoto AcuteR2400, Eizo 27Inch CG277 Monitor, MSI GT80S Laptop, MSI Vortex G-65 Desktop, Wimberly Mk2 Head, Gitzo 5540LS Tripods (2), Arca Swiss Monoball Head, Macbook Pro 15inch Retna Display,Arca Swiss C1 Cube Head, Apple Mac Pro (6) Core 3.5GHZ Dual AMD700's

 LensWizard's gear list:LensWizard's gear list
Leica SL2 Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Leica SL (Typ 601) +26 more
OP hypercore360 Senior Member • Posts: 1,589
Re: Nikkor 800mm F5.6 Ai-s ED Arrive!
1

Nice, post when you do have some images to share.

RealVSK wrote:

Nice big package came today !

Gorgeous finish, very little dust inside.

The focus barrel is smooth but tight. Not chattery or bindy. It feels new actually.

Extra 52mm filter holder.

Does not feel any bulkier than my 600mm F4 AIS.

It's windy and rainy outside, I can't wait to put it through its paces!

vsk

RealVSK Regular Member • Posts: 463
Re: Nikkor 800mm F5.6 Ai-s ED

LensWizard wrote:

RealVSK wrote:

Doug Greenberg

I absolutely don't shoot as often as I'd like. Many times I take out my 200-500afs.

But when I do a moon alignment with a structure, can never get close enough sometimes. I may shed my 600mmf4 ais, not sure.

D850, 200-500mm crop crop crop!

vsk

and this is your 800MM Nikon lens as thread header...? sweet...

Not sure I get it.   I am not the Original Poster.  The moonrise pic was from a 200-500mm 5.6.  I want to do these with the 800mm.  The strobe on top of the tower would have had a nice star burst pattern if it were either of my 600s or the 800.  So cold and wind right now!

The screw on first hood of the 800 is on a bit tight. I have to mess with it.

vsk

 RealVSK's gear list:RealVSK's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +23 more
RealVSK Regular Member • Posts: 463
Re: Nikkor 800mm F5.6 Ai-s ED Quick Pic and Stiff Ring
1

So I finally get a minute to myself in daylight.  (Not really but everything be darned for a while).

It's 35 degrees outside (Merican!) and breezy numbing the fingers.  I went to Plum Beach in Brooklyn.  It's cold (I think!).

I just barely click the camera to the lens and I see a little white going by.  I always wanted to hang around and get some swans in flight.  They are always tooling around waiting for a handout and being a little intimidating.  But flying is a different story.  I was not really ready for a shot yet but swung the gimble around and missed focus and mis exposed as there was overcast with holes where the sun would poke through.  Excuses excuses.

Anyway these swans are a way down.  The rocks in the foreground are 50-80 yards away, the swans are out beyond that and the houses are about 3/4 mile away.  These birds were little better than specks.

The grass clump was ... headshot distance for this !  Maybe 100 feet or more.  Not the best as it was windy out.  I have to get less ISO shy and get the shutter speed up.

There is a noticeable reach forward for the focus barrel as compared to my 600 f4 ais which is fatter and heavier but shorter.

Operation:

This lens looks brand new.  I was told it was owned by a Lufthansa pilot who took it around the world (a few Lufthansa stickers on the case).  The case is pristine.  The hoods work as they should.  (after I used a belt as a strap wrench to get a little grip on the first hood).  I don't know if it smells new or like antiseptic cleaner but it is great with little dust and an extra 52mm filter holder.

My issue, the focus barrel (ring) is stiff.  It is smooth but feels like it has a heavier grease than it should.  I don't know how stiff is too stiff.  I am sure going out in the cold did not help.  The action is smooth and consistent limit to limit each way.  I don't know if the old lube dried or hardened or if it was lubricated with a heavier grease.  It doesn't bind or chatter or slip.

I can't wait to get it out for a real trek.  ... I just have to strengthen my left hand and wrist for the focus action!

Swans flying east in Jamaica Bay Brooklyn.  Obviously swinging around on the tripod no where near level!  No processing or crop.

Windy beach grass.  I should have upped my ISO and shutter speed to freeze the grass.  No processing or crop.

 RealVSK's gear list:RealVSK's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +23 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads