What is the best way to store cameras?

Started 5 months ago | Questions
OP jassyou Junior Member • Posts: 29
Re: What is the best way to store cameras?

Thanks. I live in a humid country..I guess having a dry box is a must.

 jassyou's gear list:jassyou's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS80 Sony RX100 VII Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D60 +33 more
OP jassyou Junior Member • Posts: 29
Re: Doing it properly

I like the way you arrange the storage. very neat.

 jassyou's gear list:jassyou's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS80 Sony RX100 VII Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D60 +33 more
OP jassyou Junior Member • Posts: 29
Re: Depends on your specific condition

Living in a humid country will require me to have dry box..

 jassyou's gear list:jassyou's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS80 Sony RX100 VII Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D60 +33 more
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 14,925
Re: What is the best way to store cameras?

jassyou wrote:

i used to store lens in Betashell (air tight). after some time my lens had fungus and caused the blades not functioning..I sent for repair and cost me few hundred bucks.

Airtight box, will ensure no atmospheric air, so the humidity there, get into the box.

But, if your gear are wet, or when you close the box the air inside is wet, plus the darkness inside the box after closed it, all favour fungus growth.

Therefore, desiccant like silica gel must be added and replaced regularly to keep a key element for fungus growth: humidity, away from your box...

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

 alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 36,125
Re: Doing it properly

jassyou wrote:

I like the way you arrange the storage. very neat.

Well, inside the dry box it's neat, outside that it is a total mess.

Those white trays from a bargain store were a bit flimsy when loaded so cut some thin plywood for inside each and placed some microfibre cloth over that for minimal padding.

To stop lenses rolling about I added some stick on foam strips (like weather seals) on the ply but under the microfibre cloth so the lenses don't clunk into each other when moving the trays.

When messing about with the door open the air escapes so the humidity goes to the usual about 60% or so in the house. Close the door and in a few hours it is back at the 40% setting which is good enough.

Hmmm, just looked at my in/out weather doodad and at 3pm here in Sydney it's 39.1 C = 102.38 F and 20% humidity outside. Inside this room it's 23.5 C = 74.3 F and 60% humidity due to gentle air-con.

 Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 14,925
Re: Doing it properly

Guy Parsons wrote:

jassyou wrote:

I like the way you arrange the storage. very neat.

Well, inside the dry box it's neat, outside that it is a total mess.

Those white trays from a bargain store were a bit flimsy when loaded so cut some thin plywood for inside each and placed some microfibre cloth over that for minimal padding.

Those plastic baskets, should be available in many sizes. I have a few smaller one in long rectangular shape from £ shops on high street. They are original used as partition inside your larger size basket, or for utensil/pencils etc. Generally can keep 3 M43 lenses in a row in up right position (e.g. 12-35, 45-150 & 15 in one, and the 7-14 f/4, 45-200 & 14 in another). No rolling 😀.

To stop lenses rolling about I added some stick on foam strips (like weather seals) on the ply but under the microfibre cloth so the lenses don't clunk into each other when moving the trays.

When messing about with the door open the air escapes so the humidity goes to the usual about 60% or so in the house. Close the door and in a few hours it is back at the 40% setting which is good enough.

Hmmm, just looked at my in/out weather doodad and at 3pm here in Sydney it's 39.1 C = 102.38 F and 20% humidity outside. Inside this room it's 23.5 C = 74.3 F and 60% humidity due to gentle air-con.

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

 alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
ChuckB Contributing Member • Posts: 658
Re: Depends on your specific condition

alcelc wrote:

I myself am struggling on the battery issue for long unused cameras. The internal battery of a camera can be depelted and died if the battery had been taken out for a long time. The consequence is system day and time reset on every power up. To some models it might even reset the customizations. On another hand, there could be a risk on battery leakage which can kill the camera. Not really sure what to do. At the time being I have keep battery inside cameras, and keep the battery charged. So far so good.

Lithiums and ni-cads have a very low probability of leaking, especially if they are just sitting there. I've never had one leak. Perhaps someone has?

 ChuckB's gear list:ChuckB's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Sony a77 II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +6 more
linux99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,109
Not leak - but swell up huge and be VERY hard to remove

ChuckB wrote:

alcelc wrote:

I myself am struggling on the battery issue for long unused cameras. The internal battery of a camera can be depelted and died if the battery had been taken out for a long time. The consequence is system day and time reset on every power up. To some models it might even reset the customizations. On another hand, there could be a risk on battery leakage which can kill the camera. Not really sure what to do. At the time being I have keep battery inside cameras, and keep the battery charged. So far so good.

Lithiums and ni-cads have a very low probability of leaking, especially if they are just sitting there. I've never had one leak. Perhaps someone has?

I've had Lithium batteries swell up huge and be very (very!) hard to remove. I wont store them in my camera for this reason.

 linux99's gear list:linux99's gear list
Sigma DP2x Canon PowerShot S100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Nikon Coolpix A Fujifilm X100T +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads