Finally settled on an EOS R. Question on video crop 4K.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
sebek911 Regular Member • Posts: 187
Finally settled on an EOS R. Question on video crop 4K.

Howdy, after owning tons of cameras.. I sold off all of them and very happy with the EOS R.
I purchased a Vitrox EF/EF-S to R adapter.
When I put on the 18-55 EF-S lens, set it to 18mm and in video mode I switch between 1080 and 4K, the LCD image does NOT crop. It stays the same in both modes. I thought it was suppose to crop around 1.8x in 4K ??

Tmjc Regular Member • Posts: 288
Re: Finally settled on an EOS R. Question on video crop 4K.

That's probably because you already shoot with an Ef-s lens, which projects a smaller image circle than EF and therefore the camera crops automatically x1.6.

Tmjc's gear list:Tmjc's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Canon 70-300 F4-5.6 IS II +1 more
OP sebek911 Regular Member • Posts: 187

Yes I get that part, but when I switch video from 1080 to 4K, it should crop even further and it doesn't.

Sittatunga Senior Member • Posts: 2,707

sebek911 wrote:

Yes I get that part, but when I switch video from 1080 to 4K, it should crop even further and it doesn't.

4k video is cropped to roughly APS-C size by the camera to cope with the data flow.  An APS-C EF-S lens is automatically cropped to APS-C for everything, including 1080 video.  The crops are very similar, you would need to line things up with a tripod to see the difference.

OP sebek911 Regular Member • Posts: 187

Sittatunga wrote:

sebek911 wrote:

4k video is cropped to roughly APS-C size by the camera to cope with the data flow. An APS-C EF-S lens is automatically cropped to APS-C for everything, including 1080 video. The crops are very similar, you would need to line things up with a tripod to see the difference.

Ah ok.. I just tested an EF 40mm lens and this one does show the crop when switching 4k to 1080p - so it will show with a full frame lens.

thanks

Steve Balcombe Forum Pro • Posts: 14,248

sebek911 wrote:

No, on the EOS R the video crop mode uses the same area as the EF-S crop mode.

tkbslc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,548

sebek911 wrote:

Nah man, think about it.  It's ALREADY cropped because you have an EF-S smaller sensor lens on the camera.  It doesn't need to crop more.  It already cropped as far as it needs for 4k

What you are seeing is that it cannot "uncrop" for 1080p because the lens won't let it.

Steve_tEkGuY Regular Member • Posts: 476

I used my Efs lenses with my R until i found out rolling shutter is really bad in apsc mode in 1080p. 
keep an eye on it.

Steve_tEkGuY's gear list:Steve_tEkGuY's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads