Downgrading (... or rather upgrading) from A6500 to A6400

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Purplegreen Regular Member • Posts: 147
Downgrading (... or rather upgrading) from A6500 to A6400

Since my daughter (now 3 yrs old) started moving a lot, I became aware of how badly the autofocus in my A6500 was struggling to keep up with a wild and uncooperative fast-moving subject.

And because I shoot my daughter 95 % of the time I recently sold my A6500 and got a second-hand A6400 almost for the same price. Another reason for the switch was the plummeting prices of the A6500 in the used market.

This may not be of interest to many of you. At the end of the day we all have different needs. But for shooters of fast-moving subjects the improvements are phenomenal. The A6400 features some minor changes like the new "my menu" option, better color science, more reliable white balance. However the huge difference is of course real-time tracking. As many reviewers and youtubers have underlined ad nauseam, it removes one crucial aspect to worry about while shooting. And the ability to engage it with the (improved) touch screen is a game-changer.

I don't miss IBIS, which incidentally is very power-hungry, and I can easily cope with one less custom button. To me this felt more like an upgrade than a downgrade.

Purplegreen's gear list:Purplegreen's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA
Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sergio_69 Junior Member • Posts: 30
Re: Downgrading (... or rather upgrading) from A6500 to A6400

I completely agree with you!

My wife has a full frame A7 iii and always envies the ease of use and effectiveness of the tracking AF of my 6400

José B
José B Forum Pro • Posts: 19,521

I have the A6500 which I find to be very useful for my vacation especially with my Touit 12/2.8 which doesn't have IBIS. I do see the need for the more recent eye-focus technology in the A6400 for portraiture and sports. So I'll be watching out for Black Friday or even holiday sales soon.

Cheers,

José

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Sony a6500 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +13 more
da_habakuk Regular Member • Posts: 113

.. and also:

- much better battery life - i can use one batterycharge over 1-3 weeks. on my a6500 it drained after few days (same old (a6000) battery).

- much better AF in low light (-2EV vs -1EV on a6500): does not sound like much, but with the sigma 1.4 THIS makes a lot of difference. my a7r3 was not that much better in really low light. love it when shooting my toddler indoors.

- OOC JPGs are much better than a6500 - but DRO is not as good as on my A7R3 - often have the need to adjust shadow/highlights on the jpgs where i could easily use them on my a7r3...

the only cam i could replace the a6400 with would be an a7c mark2 (for photography) which has at least the same EVF+screen.

idsurfer Contributing Member • Posts: 553

The 6400 also powers up a whole lot quicker than the 6500.

Yup....A7cII is what I'll be holding out for as well!

idsurfer's gear list:idsurfer's gear list
Sony a6400 Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Tamron 17-70 F2.8 Di III-A VC RXD
Robert111 Contributing Member • Posts: 636

I gave my 6500 to a friend and replaced it with a 6400 for fill flash, autofocus, and weight advantages. I like the 6400 much better and mostly use stabilized lenses.

Robert111's gear list:Robert111's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Olympus E-M1 II Sony a7R III Sony a9 +14 more
MikeInOr
MikeInOr Senior Member • Posts: 1,132

Why the 6400 instead of the 6600?

My A77 was recently stolen along with my favorite lenses and I am looking for a replacement camera / camera system. I am very seriously considering the 6500 as well as a A7Rii or A7Riii.

One of the things I really don't like about the A7 line is no built in flash. I have a 3 Godox wireless flash setup along with softboxes and umbrellas that I really enjoy using BUT I often find myself hiking on a dark tree covered trail or at a camp site with a beautiful sunset and the built in flash on my A77 was a perfect fill flash for the human subjects in the shot! ...without having to carry a separate flash and the bulk and clumsiness that involves.

I kind of ruled out the 6600 because it does not have a built in flash. With a wealth of A-mount lenses (many old Minolta lenses) I really value the IBIS. I am having a hard time talking myself into giving up IBIS.

Being a life long A-Mount user (since 1985) I am finally giving up on the system and looking for something with better longevity. The autofocus on my Maxxum 7000 loved to do a lot of hunting but I learned to work around it and live with it. The A77 autofocus was so great that I never really had any complaints... but, of course, it had face detection but no eye detection. My daughter is 16 years old and can finally stand still for more than 5 seconds and I don't really take action shots so I haven't ever felt a great need to upgrade... until now.

I am a little discouraged with how new bodies seem to be "de-gressing" as much as they are progressing. No built in GPS is a HUGE sore spot with me. No built in flash... Really? That is like removing the headphone jack from a cell phone!

MikeInOr's gear list:MikeInOr's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony 20mm F2.8 Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro +11 more
D Lynch Veteran Member • Posts: 5,085

Purplegreen wrote:

Since my daughter (now 3 yrs old) started moving a lot, I became aware of how badly the autofocus in my A6500 was struggling to keep up with a wild and uncooperative fast-moving subject.

And because I shoot my daughter 95 % of the time I recently sold my A6500 and got a second-hand A6400 almost for the same price. Another reason for the switch was the plummeting prices of the A6500 in the used market.

This may not be of interest to many of you. At the end of the day we all have different needs. But for shooters of fast-moving subjects the improvements are phenomenal. The A6400 features some minor changes like the new "my menu" option, better color science, more reliable white balance. However the huge difference is of course real-time tracking. As many reviewers and youtubers have underlined ad nauseam, it removes one crucial aspect to worry about while shooting. And the ability to engage it with the (improved) touch screen is a game-changer.

I don't miss IBIS, which incidentally is very power-hungry, and I can easily cope with one less custom button. To me this felt more like an upgrade than a downgrade.

I appreciate your comments.

I have an a6000 which I bought some time ago.

I also have an RX100-2 that is a delight. The menus are primitive compared to the a6000. It's the images that are special.

I just bought a used RX100-7. It is amazingly quick to focus! I thought I would tell you this in case you found a need to spend more money.

It seems to me that each new generation of Sony cameras jumps way ahead in its abilities and skills!

DL

-- hide signature --

Canada

D Lynch's gear list:D Lynch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828
Euell Veteran Member • Posts: 4,751

Robert111 wrote:

I gave my 6500 to a friend and replaced it with a 6400 for fill flash, autofocus, and weight advantages. I like the 6400 much better and mostly use stabilized lenses.

What is the fill flash advantage? The A6500 and A6400 have the same flash sync speed

Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony a6500 Sony a7R III Voigtlander 21mm F4 Color Skopar Pancake II +16 more
OP Purplegreen Regular Member • Posts: 147

MikeInOr wrote:

I am a little discouraged with how new bodies seem to be "de-gressing" as much as they are progressing. No built in GPS is a HUGE sore spot with me. No built in flash... Really? That is like removing the headphone jack from a cell phone!

Albeit complicated, it is possible to add GPS data to your pictures.

If the A6400 had IBIS and GPS activated all the time I would guess that the battery would drain very quickly.

Are you going to try the new A-mount to E-mount adapter  ? It works flawlessly with face and eye detection.

Sony a6400 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA
OP Purplegreen Regular Member • Posts: 147

D Lynch wrote:

I also have an RX100-2 that is a delight. The menus are primitive compared to the a6000. It's the images that are special.

I just bought a used RX100-7. It is amazingly quick to focus! I thought I would tell you this in case you found a need to spend more money.

Yes, I agree. I had a RX100-2 for a while as a backup camera and was blown away by the picture quality.

Now I can only afford to have only one camera and before switching to the A6400 I did consider a high-end RX camera. The reason why I didn't is that I have a bunch of e-mount lenses that I really love.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads