Started Nov 2, 2020 | Discussions
vegetaleb
vegetaleb Senior Member • Posts: 2,667
Am I crazy? Z6 to X-T3/4?

Hello

I used to have Fujfilm X-T10, then X-T20 then X-T3

The last lens I had was the Mighty 16mm f1.4

Then last March I made the jump into FF mirrorless camera with the Nikon Z6

It came with the 24-70 f4 S, a very lice lens but limited by f4, weight and high vignette, I bought then the 35mm f1.8 S for its good FOV and weight.

I had very nice photos with it, IQ is really excellent and 35mm is good for 60-70% of my photos, and that's the problem!

I didn't like the 24-70 f4 because mainly of its weight, going to a 24mm is not a solution either because the 24mm f1.8 S is also very large and heavy for long street walks, heck even the 35mm on the Z6 was a bit tiring on the hand after 45minutes

So now I am torn between selling my Z6 and lenses and get an X-T3 or X-T4 with an XF 16mm f1.4, or keep the Z6 and wait for the 28mm that should be compact and light but f2.8

The thing is that my Fujifilm shop in Lebanon is making an offer on the X-T4:

-X-T4 + 16mm f1.4 = 2250$

-X-T3 + 16mm f1.4 = 1900$

I even don't know if I should get the x-t4 or 3, as much as I liked the presence of ibis on the x-t4 and better AWB, I didn't like the flippy screen and added weight.

What I also missed from Fujifilm is the retro look and dials, the X-S10 had everything to be the perfect camera for me but Fuji didn't use the retro design

Well that's it, should I jump back to Fuji and benefit from the actual offers? or I will regret it and I should keep the Z6 and wait a couple of months for the 28mm f2.8?

Anyone already jumped back to Fuji after a passage in the FF mirorless world?

-- hide signature --

For lenses reviews and tutorials about Fuji Raf editing https://fujiandstuff.wordpress.com/
My shutterstock https://www.shutterstock.com/g/jeffmerheb
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/147690104@N02/

vegetaleb's gear list:vegetaleb's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR
Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Geekapoo
Geekapoo Senior Member • Posts: 2,684
Re: Am I crazy? Z6 to X-T3/4?

For me, the question is around the following:

-- hide signature --

weight of kit

--quality/maliability of RAW files

--UI

Myself? Happily left Nikon FF (D750) for Fuji. The only thing I miss is development of the D750 RAW files using Lightroom. I have no interest in returning to ownership of a FF kit for main use..maybe at some point I'll buy an older FF body and pair it with some small lenses but that's the extent of it.

--
Richard
https://www.flickr.com/photos/154538030@N02/albums

Geekapoo's gear list:Geekapoo's gear list
Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Sony RX10 IV Fujifilm X-E3 Sony a7R IV Fujifilm X-T4 +10 more
Meetmer
Meetmer Senior Member • Posts: 1,076

vegetaleb wrote:

Hello

It came with the 24-70 f4 S, a very lice lens but limited by f4, weight and high vignette, I bought then the 35mm f1.8 S for its good FOV and weight.

I had very nice photos with it, IQ is really excellent and 35mm is good for 60-70% of my photos, and that's the problem!

I didn't like the 24-70 f4 because mainly of its weight, going to a 24mm is not a solution either because the 24mm f1.8 S is also very large and heavy for long street walks, heck even the 35mm on the Z6 was a bit tiring on the hand after 45minutes

So now I am torn between selling my Z6 and lenses and get an X-T3 or X-T4 with an XF 16mm f1.4, or keep the Z6 and wait for the 28mm that should be compact and light but f2.8

I even don't know if I should get the x-t4 or 3, as much as I liked the presence of ibis on the x-t4 and better AWB, I didn't like the flippy screen and added weight.

What I also missed from Fujifilm is the retro look and dials, the X-S10 had everything to be the perfect camera for me but Fuji didn't use the retro design

Well that's it, should I jump back to Fuji and benefit from the actual offers? or I will regret it and I should keep the Z6 and wait a couple of months for the 28mm f2.8?

why are you starting a whole new thread about this when you started a similar one 4 days ago ?
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64503358

Meetmer's gear list:Meetmer's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +3 more
vegetaleb
OP vegetaleb Senior Member • Posts: 2,667

Meetmer wrote:

vegetaleb wrote:

Hello

why are you starting a whole new thread about this when you started a similar one 4 days ago ?

No it's not the same topic, I was asking for a direct comparisons between lenses in the  other thread, here I am talking about a whole system

-- hide signature --

For lenses reviews and tutorials about Fuji Raf editing https://fujiandstuff.wordpress.com/

AshleyMC Senior Member • Posts: 1,395

If you prefer the physical handling of the Fujifilm X-T3 and consider the Fujinon 16/1.4 a versatile prime, go ahead and make the move.

It appears that the full-frame sensor of the Z6 does not make a noticeable difference in your images. The more reason to switch to Fujifilm for other fun things.

(I use X-T3 and prefer it to the new X-T4 because I find its FAS uninteresting and I don’t need IBIS. On the other hand, I hang on to my Nikon D810 as it is advantageous, IQ wise, in certain situations - for me, anyway.)

biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,969

You seem to keep changing backwards and forwards, when it all boils down to a couple of cameras and a couple of lenses. I can not see what other "help" or comments you might gather from the forum, different from the ones you have been getting in the last few months.

You went with Nikon Z 7 months ago, and want to change again? The Nikon system is a new one, it is still maturing. You can always adapt the excellent Nikon F 28 f/1.8lens.

You keep talking about IQ, and then mention you miss Fuji's retro dials... just use what you have already. If you go back to Fuji, when Nikon or anyone else comes up with something you may like, you will change again.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Carl Zeiss C Sonnar T* 1,5/50 ZM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more
vegetaleb

AshleyMC wrote:

If you prefer the physical handling of the Fujifilm X-T3 and consider the Fujinon 16/1.4 a versatile prime, go ahead and make the move.

It appears that the full-frame sensor of the Z6 does not make a noticeable difference in your images. The more reason to switch to Fujifilm for other fun things.

(I use X-T3 and prefer it to the new X-T4 because I find its FAS uninteresting and I don’t need IBIS. On the other hand, I hang on to my Nikon D810 as it is advantageous, IQ wise, in certain situations - for me, anyway.)

That's the thing, the Z6 is giving me better IQ in low light and crisper details, it's not night and day but the difference is there. But on another side I missed some great landscape shots because of the narrow 35mm fov and stitching is rarely a solution, I am putting an exemple in the end, its a stitch of 8 vertical shots I took with the 35mm f1.8 S.

So I don't know if I should jump into the actual offer of x-t3 + 16 f1.4 at 1900$ or wait for at least the nikon Z 28mm?

The Z6 has the upper hand for difficult light situations but the x-t3 is sexy lol

What about the X100V + WCL? I couldn't find serious reviews of this converter on x100v

-- hide signature --

jjz2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,627

Based on your post, here would be my solution.

Dump the Nikon 35 and get a Fuji X100V. Keep your Nikon FF system.

Best of both worlds.

jjz2's gear list:jjz2's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z5 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 +2 more

vegetaleb wrote:

AshleyMC wrote:

That's the thing, the Z6 is giving me better IQ in low light and crisper details, it's not night and day but the difference is there. But on another side I missed some great landscape shots because of the narrow 35mm fov and stitching is rarely a solution, I am putting an exemple in the end, its a stitch of 8 vertical shots I took with the 35mm f1.8 S.

So I don't know if I should jump into the actual offer of x-t3 + 16 f1.4 at 1900$ or wait for at least the nikon Z 28mm?

The Z6 has the upper hand for difficult light situations but the x-t3 is sexy lol

Sexy? I have humans for that.

What about the X100V + WCL? I couldn't find serious reviews of this converter on x100v

I would seriously consider this:

FTZ allows you to use your favorite F-mount NIKKOR lenses on the Z system cameras

vegetaleb

AshleyMC wrote:

vegetaleb wrote:

AshleyMC wrote:

FTZ allows you to use your favorite F-mount NIKKOR lenses on the Z system cameras

I have this adapter but it won't fix my problem with weight, if I use this and a FX 24 or 28mm it will be as heavy as the Z 24mm f1.8S

-- hide signature --

vegetaleb wrote:

AshleyMC wrote:

vegetaleb wrote:

AshleyMC wrote:

I have this adapter but it won't fix my problem with weight, if I use this and a FX 24 or 28mm it will be as heavy as the Z 24mm f1.8S

I don’t advocate GAS, but through the decades of doing photography, I know that one camera and one lens will not fit all scenarios. In other words, tools for tasks.

I would build up my tools around the priority of what I need and want (not “sexy” ).

If you consider Fujifilm offers the camera body and lenses that takes care of, say, 90% of such priority, make the move and be happy.

Every person’s situation is unique.

Good luck.

mike lix Senior Member • Posts: 1,440

Meetmer wrote:

vegetaleb wrote:

Hello

Actually, you made it a similar thread, vegetaleb was talking primarily about lenses for landscape and street.

-- hide signature --

www.instagram.com/michal.placek.fotograf
www.facebook.com/michal.placek.fotograf
500px.com/mikepl500px

mike lix's gear list:mike lix's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR XF 90mm Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +2 more
giarc
giarc Senior Member • Posts: 1,120

vegetaleb wrote:

Hello

Changing to save weight seems crazy, yes!

z6 / 24S f1.8S is 1035 grams.

xt3 / 16 f1.4 is 914 grams.

xt4 / 16 f1.4 is 982 grams.

At MOST you'd be saving 121 grams? if you went with the xt4, its only 53!

Wanting the XT3/4 instead is one thing, but to my way of thinking, 120 grams is nothing to worry about in regular usage.

The Z6 + 24S is larger, I'll give you that:

https://camerasize.com/compact/#800.571,795.850,841.571,ga,t

I'd just wait on the Nikkor 28mm, and not worry about the size difference as it seems so small... use what you have!

If you don't like using the Z6 because its too heavy, I can't see the small difference in weight of an xt3/4 making a difference.

If you like 28mm, why not just get a Ricoh GRII: its 277 grams total, with IBIS!

https://camerasize.com/compact/#800.571,795.850,841.571,819,ga,t

My two cents

Good luck,

-- hide signature --

Craig

Chandrahadi Junarto
Chandrahadi Junarto Contributing Member • Posts: 517

I'm following your thread from early this year because I'm in the same position, choosing between z6 and xt4, i have xt10 and nikon Df. At the end i choose to bought xt4, but sometimes i still thinking did i made the best decision, but seeing your post from time to time make me sure that I'm choose the right one, LOL

But different from you I'm a multiple lenses guys, i have a lot bunch of lens for each system, most of it the old and manual ones since I'm enjoy the process taking pictures.

For your case, i suggest you to stick with the Z and try some third party manual lens like 7artisans 28mm f1.4 with adapter and wait for nikon release their pancake lens next year

Just my 2c

-- hide signature --
 Chandrahadi Junarto's gear list:Chandrahadi Junarto's gear list
Nikon Df Fujifilm X-T4 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +16 more
third son
third son Senior Member • Posts: 2,915

Yeah... You're nuts

third son's gear list:third son's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +9 more
jjz2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,627

giarc wrote:

vegetaleb wrote:

Hello

Wanting the XT3/4 instead is one thing, but to my way of thinking, 120 grams is nothing to worry about in regular usage.

I'd just wait on the Nikkor 28mm, and not worry about the size difference as it seems so small... use what you have!

If you don't like using the Z6 because its too heavy, I can't see the small difference in weight of an xt3/4 making a difference.

If you like 28mm, why not just get a Ricoh GRII: its 277 grams total, with IBIS!

My two cents

Good luck,

Agreed, that's why I recommended to him keep it and get something lighter like x100v.

Ricoh is also a strong contender.

Now if he were considering an XE 3 and the 18/27 lenses...that's a different story and there would be significant weight and size savings.

The weight savings comparing current mirrorless FF 1.8 lenses vs aps-c 1.4 lenses, or f4 vs 2.8 zooms on an XT4 aren't that much at this point...

Main drivers would be drastically different controls...then things like being able to shoot 4k60fps 10bit internal, jpg simulations, and of course, cost in certain cases, too.

jjz2's gear list:jjz2's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z5 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 +2 more
Batdude
Batdude Veteran Member • Posts: 5,516

vegetaleb wrote:

AshleyMC wrote:

If you "don't know" that's because you are confused, and well, you don't know, so my advice to you is don't do anything until you know what you are doing.

Me, I'm not leaving FF, and I'm not leaving my Fuji stuff.  I shoot both

Batdude's gear list:Batdude's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
Batdude
Batdude Veteran Member • Posts: 5,516

vegetaleb wrote:

AshleyMC wrote:

If you "don't know" then that's because well, you don't know and you are confused, so my advice to you is first make sure you know what you are doing and figure out your personal photography needs.

That's exactly why I shoot with both FF and my Fuji stuff.  I'm not leaving neither

Batdude's gear list:Batdude's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
vegetaleb

giarc wrote:

vegetaleb wrote:

Hello

My two cents

Good luck,

Correction:

Z6 is 675gm and the 24mm f1.8 S 450gm so total 1125gm

It's 215gm difference with the x-t3 + 16 f1.4

If only the x-t30 had the screen of the x-t3....

-- hide signature --

vegetaleb

Chandrahadi Junarto wrote:

I'm following your thread from early this year because I'm in the same position, choosing between z6 and xt4, i have xt10 and nikon Df. At the end i choose to bought xt4, but sometimes i still thinking did i made the best decision, but seeing your post from time to time make me sure that I'm choose the right one, LOL

But different from you I'm a multiple lenses guys, i have a lot bunch of lens for each system, most of it the old and manual ones since I'm enjoy the process taking pictures.

For your case, i suggest you to stick with the Z and try some third party manual lens like 7artisans 28mm f1.4 with adapter and wait for nikon release their pancake lens next year

Just my 2c

There is a new adapter to use Leica lenses and add AF to them!!

I would get a voigtlander in that case

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads