Interesting use for an old PowerShot

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
dan the man p Regular Member • Posts: 284
Interesting use for an old PowerShot

My main camera is a Canon EOS M (original model). But PowerShots have a couple advantages. They are small, light, and can be hacked with CHDK. That leads to this interesting application:

The cross-shaped suspension is called a "Picavet" after its inventor

Attached to the string of a large kite

Note that I'm not a pioneer of this method by any means. Many people have done it before me. I just thought I would share.

dan the man p's gear list:dan the man p's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +1 more
Sue Anne Rush
Sue Anne Rush Senior Member • Posts: 1,195
Re: Interesting use for an old PowerShot

I like it :)))     Thanks for sharing :))))

dan the man p wrote:

My main camera is a Canon EOS M (original model). But PowerShots have a couple advantages. They are small, light, and can be hacked with CHDK. That leads to this interesting application:

Note that I'm not a pioneer of this method by any means. Many people have done it before me. I just thought I would share.

Sue Anne Rush's gear list:Sue Anne Rush's gear list
Canon EF-M 28mm F3.5 Macro IS STM
Panet
Panet Senior Member • Posts: 1,292

Reminds me of a piece of WWII pilot's poetry in WREN magazine, january 1945:

"It seems that Heinrich Hun

Is not the only one

To exercise a most ingenious brain..."

Best regards.

-- hide signature --

Dum senesco, addisco.

lorenzo Regular Member • Posts: 286

Dan, you're the man!

Impressive.

1.  How did you control the photo taking?  Via the self-timer with the X # of photos every so many seconds?

2.  Aren't you concerned that the camera will fall off?!

3.  I see the potential for all sorts of mishaps that would lead to great photos — attacked by hawks, crows buzzing it with aerial acrobatics, drone collision, etc.

4.  Have you tried video?

In any case, some incredible aerial shots.  Nice to see.

66GTO Veteran Member • Posts: 4,179

Cool idea! Have you tried a drone as well?

-- hide signature --

Crazy old man! Slow down. You are way too old to be
hunting hemi's in that 66GTO.

66GTO's gear list:66GTO's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 Nikon Df +1 more
OP dan the man p Regular Member • Posts: 284

lorenzo wrote:

Dan, you're the man!

Impressive.

1. How did you control the photo taking? Via the self-timer with the X # of photos every so many seconds?

2. Aren't you concerned that the camera will fall off?!

3. I see the potential for all sorts of mishaps that would lead to great photos — attacked by hawks, crows buzzing it with aerial acrobatics, drone collision, etc.

4. Have you tried video?

In any case, some incredible aerial shots. Nice to see.

Thanks for the compliments. To answer your questions:

1. I am using custom firmware called CHDK that has an interval timer. Actually, someone made a CHDK script specifically for kite aerial photography (KAP) that also controls the exposure to ensure a fast shutter speed. Without that, most shots would have motion blur.

2. Well, despite much wild swinging around, I've never had the tripod screw come loose. Though you bring up a good point. It might be a good idea to add something to save my bacon just in case.

3.I did have some vultures fly by the other day, but I didn't end up seeing them in any of the images. I guess the next most exciting thing would be that dragonflies seem to like to land on the kite line. I have circled with vultures a couple times with my FPV R/C plane (aka drone, I suppose). That was fun.

4. No video, since without something to stabilize it, it would probably be very nausea inducing. But you can find some KAP videos online where people used gimbals. Personally I find them a bit boring, though. Might as well take stills since the kite doesn't do much in the air.

Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +1 more

66GTO wrote:

Cool idea! Have you tried a drone as well?

I have a small R/C airplane with an FPV camera and goggles. It is a lot of fun. But the video camera is low resolution and doesn't produce very good stills. Drones are arguably better for the job of aerial photography, but I like the DIY aspect of using a kite. Plus, I think the cost is less for the same quality (it takes a decent-sized, fairly expensive drone to even lift something as large as this camera), and there are fewer restrictions for kites compared to drones.

lorenzo Regular Member • Posts: 286

Dan, thanks so much for your detailed reply!

I know about CHDK, but haven't gotten around to using it yet.  I must try it on my old A720 and SX260.  Should be lots of fun!

Great point on why stills are better — the video would be nausea-inducing.

I wouldn't be surprised if one day crows discover your set up!  They usually don't attack, but flush out predators with dive-bombing and cawing in coordinated action.  We've seen them many times scare off hawks from our backyard even though the hawks are many, many times bigger.  There is definitely strength in numbers!

Now, as to kite-flying, I should try that, too.  However, I'm about as successful with that as Charlie Brown!

Do post more photos of your work — they're great to see!

Thanks. If I get more good pictures I'll be sure to post them. I might be able to shoot at a new location tomorrow, but we'll see.

The session was pushed back a week, but it was worth it. The wind was perfect. This is the first time I've flown one of my kites with a sea breeze. It was so easy. The kite flew right out of my hand and was really stable the whole time.

Point Lookout State Park, Maryland

IWBF
IWBF Regular Member • Posts: 232

Great images! I particularly like the 3rd one with the boat. The kite seems to fly so high😃

I dislike drones and it is so nice to see somebody going a calmer route. Thank you for sharing!

Rohith Thumati Contributing Member • Posts: 689

very cool!

dan the man p wrote:

2. Well, despite much wild swinging around, I've never had the tripod screw come loose. Though you bring up a good point. It might be a good idea to add something to save my bacon just in case.

A little safety redundancy is never a bad idea, I think if you just add a cord connecting the frame to the camera’s wrist strap eyelet, you should be good.

IWBF wrote:

Great images! I particularly like the 3rd one with the boat. The kite seems to fly so high😃

I dislike drones and it is so nice to see somebody going a calmer route. Thank you for sharing!

Thanks. That third image was a bit of a fluke. Must have been a gust of wind that caused it to swing downward and capture a nice sharp image of that boat right in the top right third. You'd almost think I did it on purpose. That's one thing I like about this method, you just send up the kite and start the script on the camera, and then you find out what you got at the end.

Leica Eye
Leica Eye Senior Member • Posts: 2,172

dan the man p wrote:

Great -- --  L
Trying Harder Than Ever ..

Leica Eye's gear list:Leica Eye's gear list
Leica V-Lux 40 Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D3100 Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 90D +5 more

Hadn't gotten a chance to fly in awhile. It was a cold, gusty day, but I managed to get some good pictures at a new location with a new (to me) camera. I can definitely tell the quality is better than my old one. Next time I might play with the settings to see if I can get it to stop down a little instead of always using f/2.

Here are some pictures of the Chesapeake Bay that I took yesterday.

Sue Anne Rush
Sue Anne Rush Senior Member • Posts: 1,195

Beautiful and I have been there many times - thanks for sharing 

dan the man p wrote:

Here are some pictures of the Chesapeake Bay that I took yesterday.

Sue Anne Rush's gear list:Sue Anne Rush's gear list
Canon EF-M 28mm F3.5 Macro IS STM

Thanks, Sue Anne. It's a fun way to do photography.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads