Some lens advice

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Nickemmano Regular Member • Posts: 108
Some lens advice

I have composed a breakdown of the FLs of the photos i have shot. I am to upgrade to one of the latest mirrorless systems and i am trying to decide what lenses to buy based on my use case (landscape, cityscape, travel). Any advice or personal experience is greatly appreciated

ly2photos
ly2photos Forum Member • Posts: 98
Re: Some lens advice

Fuji X-S10 with the 14 2.8, 23 f2, 16-55, and the upcoming 70-300 or 55-200 (or even the 50-230 since you don't use telephoto often) or 50-140 is you really need the f2.8

Compact, lightweight, and fun to use!

-- hide signature --
 ly2photos's gear list:ly2photos's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
OP Nickemmano Regular Member • Posts: 108

nayyyyyyy7 wrote:

Fuji X-S10 with the 14 2.8, 23 f2, 16-55, and the upcoming 70-300 or 55-200 (or even the 50-230 since you don't use telephoto often) or 50-140 is you really need the f2.8

Compact, lightweight, and fun to use!

I would prefer something full frame

KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 19,310

Erm, are these full frame effective focal lengths?  Or the actual FL?  If so, what was the sensor format (crop factor)?

Kelly Cook

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic G85

KCook wrote:

Erm, are these full frame effective focal lengths? Or the actual FL? If so, what was the sensor format (crop factor)?

Kelly Cook

I used a d5300. All the above FLs are in FF equivalents (some of the extreme wide angles are from a freinds FF camera)

ly2photos

Nickemmano wrote:

Wouldn't full frame just add weight when travelling?

-- hide signature --

nayyyyyyy7 wrote:

Nickemmano wrote:

I have done the math. Having a full kit it would be a little bit more than 5 kilos. (For example: SonyRIV, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 35 1.4, including the weight of the bag and some extra bateries, cleaning kit). Its not something i cant handle. Now if i add a tripod its still manageable

ly2photos

Nickemmano wrote:

nayyyyyyy7 wrote:

Nickemmano wrote:

I have done the math. Having a full kit it would be a little bit more than 5 kilos. (For example: SonyRIV, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 35 1.4, including the weight of the bag and some extra bateries, cleaning kit). Its not something i cant handle. Now if i add a tripod its still manageable

What benefits do you foresee in going full frame?

-- hide signature --
KCook

Nickemmano wrote:

KCook wrote:

Erm, are these full frame effective focal lengths? Or the actual FL? If so, what was the sensor format (crop factor)?

Kelly Cook

I used a d5300. All the above FLs are in FF equivalents (some of the extreme wide angles are from a freinds FF camera)

Ok.  I see conspicuous bumps at 16mm and 24mm.  So nice primes could be justified for those.  The longer FLs could be covered by a zoom or two.

Kelly

nayyyyyyy7 wrote:

Nickemmano wrote:

nayyyyyyy7 wrote:

Nickemmano wrote:

What benefits do you foresee in going full frame?

Better low light. Definetely crop sensors have evolved but i still like having that extra stop

Having higher mp. First it will not impact the low light capability of the camera that much and secondly i will have the ability to crop while shooting and in post

I will use the full capability of the wide open aperture instead of applying a small crop due to the sensor (i know the lens is 2.8 for example but due to the sensor it becomes f4)

KCook wrote:

Nickemmano wrote:

KCook wrote:

Kelly Cook

Ok. I see conspicuous bumps at 16mm and 24mm. So nice primes could be justified for those. The longer FLs could be covered by a zoom or two.

Kelly

Definitely but wouldnt that hinder me from having the 35-69mm range?

KCook

Nickemmano wrote:

KCook wrote:

Nickemmano wrote:

KCook wrote:

Kelly Cook

Ok. I see conspicuous bumps at 16mm and 24mm. So nice primes could be justified for those. The longer FLs could be covered by a zoom or two.

Kelly

Why?  When that could easily be covered by a zoom?

Kelly

KCook wrote:

Nickemmano wrote:

KCook wrote:

Nickemmano wrote:

KCook wrote:

Kelly Cook

Kelly

Why? When that could easily be covered by a zoom?

Kelly

I dont want to carry more than 3 lenses. I have drwn a conclusion

poipoipoi_2016 Contributing Member • Posts: 888

Nickemmano wrote:

KCook wrote:

Nickemmano wrote:

KCook wrote:

Nickemmano wrote:

KCook wrote:

Kelly Cook

Kelly

Why? When that could easily be covered by a zoom?

Kelly

I dont want to carry more than 3 lenses. I have drwn a conclusion

So either a 3-zoom kit, a super-zoom + a wide prime, or something like 16-35GM + 28-200 then.

Or since there's almost nothing between 100 and that bump at exactly 200, you forget about everything past 100 and get a 16-35 + 24-105 at about half the total weight.  Drop the 16 and you could do 20/1.8 + 24-105/4 on Sony dropping 40% of what was left if you wanted.

/I'd do two zooms myself and go Canon at the moment because 15(16)-35/2.8 is a revelation indoors, but

poipoipoi_2016's gear list:poipoipoi_2016's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a7R III Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM +3 more
John Crowe
John Crowe Contributing Member • Posts: 910

Ok, I will give it a go, kinda depends on who the manufacturer is:

xx-35, or xx-24

24-70

70-200

I highly recommend f4 lenses over f2.8 versions to save a heck of a lot of weight while giving up very little in IQ.

John Crowe's gear list:John Crowe's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Irix 11mm F4 +14 more
ChelseaPhotographer
ChelseaPhotographer Contributing Member • Posts: 850

Nickemmano wrote:

I have composed a breakdown of the FLs of the photos i have shot. I am to upgrade to one of the latest mirrorless systems and i am trying to decide what lenses to buy based on my use case (landscape, cityscape, travel). Any advice or personal experience is greatly appreciated

The Sony A7RIV with the trinity of Tamron f/2.8 zooms makes for a fairly light and relatively inexpensive setup. Great image quality as well.

That's what I have for my carry-with-me-everywhere system. Nobody else offers something quite like that...

ChelseaPhotographer's gear list:ChelseaPhotographer's gear list
Ricoh GR III SeaLife DC2000 Canon EOS 5DS Pentax 645Z Nikon D850 +1 more

ChelseaPhotographer wrote:

Nickemmano wrote:

The Sony A7RIV with the trinity of Tamron f/2.8 zooms makes for a fairly light and relatively inexpensive setup. Great image quality as well.

That's what I have for my carry-with-me-everywhere system. Nobody else offers something quite like that...

But as your main one??

ChelseaPhotographer
ChelseaPhotographer Contributing Member • Posts: 850

Nickemmano wrote:

ChelseaPhotographer wrote:

Nickemmano wrote:

But as your main one??

My main main one is a Pentax 645Z with the 45-85mm, 80-160mm and 120mm, and my other main one is a Nikon D850.  But you don't want DSLRs...

If size, weight, and price is no issue to you, you should consider the R5. Nicer colors than the Sony. But with the Tamron zooms, the Sony is lighter, smaller, cheaper, and gives you more resolution.

ChelseaPhotographer's gear list:ChelseaPhotographer's gear list
Ricoh GR III SeaLife DC2000 Canon EOS 5DS Pentax 645Z Nikon D850 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads