Handheld Macro for XT-2

Started Nov 1, 2020 | Discussions
OP erikjanneman Junior Member • Posts: 40
Re: Handheld Macro for XT-2

Thanks, I am happy with the quality of the 18-55. I really like the versatility it gives me in such a small package. The bokeh does sometimes get a bit busy but when using the tubes generally it smooths everything out quite well.

What I do not like when using the extension tubes, is the loss of light and not being able to focus to infinity. That's also why I still will buy a dedicated macro lens.

But I can not find much about that Mark ii 7artisans lens..

erikjanneman's gear list:erikjanneman's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +3 more
a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 11,538

The loss of light is the same with extension tubes or macro lenses.  There actually isn't loss of light, the effective aperture changes, but either way you don't lose light, it is that the marked aperture becomes inaccurate (some modern macro lenses change their EXIF data to show the effective not marked aperture).  The real bind is that tubes are so fiddly and involve swapping them in and out as well as that some lenses don't perform well with extension they were not designed for.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
Tim van der Leeuw Contributing Member • Posts: 865

erikjanneman wrote:

Thanks, I am happy with the quality of the 18-55. I really like the versatility it gives me in such a small package. The bokeh does sometimes get a bit busy but when using the tubes generally it smooths everything out quite well.

What I do not like when using the extension tubes, is the loss of light and not being able to focus to infinity. That's also why I still will buy a dedicated macro lens.

But I can not find much about that Mark ii 7artisans lens..

I'd still recommend you look at the Laowa 65mm macro lens as well -- it's really great, very sharp, and can satisfy the "lust for detail" even more.

It also is very nice as just a general lens, I shot very nice pictures with it.

PS: Your name sounds like it could be Dutch? If you are indeed Dutch, we could perhaps meet up somewhere and I can show you the macro lenses which I have so you can get some hands-on experience.

Tim van der Leeuw's gear list:Tim van der Leeuw's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 Sigma 2x EX DG Tele Converter Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +14 more

Hmm yes the laowa also looks very interesting.. it's gets great reviews everywhere.

I am Dutch, but I actually live in Germany since a few years (Bayern). So meeting up would be quite a drive. But thanks for offering, that is very nice!

I've also contemplated buying both lenses and sending one back. I can try them both for a few days and then decide. I tried finding a store that stocks several macro lenses in Fuji x mount but that is proving to be difficult..

Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +3 more

erikjanneman wrote:

Hmm yes the laowa also looks very interesting.. it's gets great reviews everywhere.

I am Dutch, but I actually live in Germany since a few years (Bayern). So meeting up would be quite a drive. But thanks for offering, that is very nice!

Aha, that is not only a long distance to drive, it also is hard with the current COVID-19 travelling restriction!

I've also contemplated buying both lenses and sending one back. I can try them both for a few days and then decide. I tried finding a store that stocks several macro lenses in Fuji x mount but that is proving to be difficult..

I don't know how big a town / city you live in? If there's a camera store that's part of a larger chain, you can probably arrange via their web-site to have a couple of lenses you want to try sent to their local store so you can try them out in store.

That's what I can do at least with shops such as Kamera Express and CameraNu here in the Netherlands.

They're big enough that they carry "everything" in their assortment and what the local shop doesn't have can be delivered free of charge from their warehouses to try.

Canon EOS M5 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 Sigma 2x EX DG Tele Converter Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +14 more

Yes I used to do that as well at Cameranu.nl, because I lived quite close to Urk that was perfect.

Now I do not live close to a big camera store. Closest would be Nürenberg (Fotomax) and then it is still 1,5 to 2 hours driving. I might still do that if I can combine with visiting some friends there or something.

I watched some more reviews of the Laowa, it looks pretty stellar as well. There is quite a price difference ofcourse but might be worth it. Do you use yours with a flash+diffuser or without?

erikjanneman wrote:

I watched some more reviews of the Laowa, it looks pretty stellar as well. There is quite a price difference ofcourse but might be worth it. Do you use yours with a flash+diffuser or without?

I use it with flash + diffuser most of the time. Something like this is cheap and wraps around the lens:

https://www.cameranu.nl/nl/p99034/falcon-eyes-cameraflitser-diffusor-mr0912t

Works with almost any flash.

Available from different shops under different brand names; Dörr might sell something like this in Germany for instance.

Could I bother you for what flash you are using with your Fujifilm camera's?

erikjanneman wrote:

The flash which I use is a Godox V860ii. It is quite strong, flexible (can use it off-camera with remote), and has chargeable batteries.

However it is also quite large, which can be cumbersome. This is something which I hadn't really realised up front.

There are smaller flashes available; I think Nisi has some flashes that should work well in TTL flash mode with Fuji camera, are smaller, simpler, easy to use -- but they do not have rechargeable batteries and I don't know if they can be remote-triggered.

Purely for macro work you may not care about remote triggers but sometimes for some more creative lighting situations it's something I want to experiment with.

Tim van der Leeuw wrote:

erikjanneman wrote:

The flash which I use is a Godox V860ii. It is quite strong, flexible (can use it off-camera with remote), and has chargeable batteries.

However it is also quite large, which can be cumbersome. This is something which I hadn't really realised up front.

There are smaller flashes available; I think Nisi has some flashes that should work well in TTL flash mode with Fuji camera, are smaller, simpler, easy to use -- but they do not have rechargeable batteries and I don't know if they can be remote-triggered.

Purely for macro work you may not care about remote triggers but sometimes for some more creative lighting situations it's something I want to experiment with.

Thanks, that will definitly not be for me ;). Looking for a small flash unit. Watching some videos on YT from Micael Widell and he recommends the Meike MK-320. Which seems not a bad pick for me as it is not so expensive. And as a beginner that should be enough for me.

erikjanneman wrote:

Thanks, that will definitly not be for me ;). Looking for a small flash unit. Watching some videos on YT from Micael Widell and he recommends the Meike MK-320. Which seems not a bad pick for me as it is not so expensive. And as a beginner that should be enough for me.

I hesitated to recommend you that one because I don't remember if it is only "manual" flash, or if it works with Fuji TTL flash features.

If it is only "manual" then it will trigger with the shutter-button, but you will have to manually adjust the strength of the flash.

With a TTL flash, the camera will tell the flash unit how strong to flash based on available light, exposure parameters, and other settings like flash-compensation etc.

I know that Micael Widell always shoots with manual flash mode but I find it convenient to not have to think about flash strength very much.

The flash light that I meant is not Nisi but Nissin:

https://www.cameranu.nl/p1026855/nissin-i60a-ttl-flitser-fujifilm

I think that this cheaper brother also supports TTL flash:

https://www.cameranu.nl/p603705/nissin-i40-flitser-fuji

Of course the Meike is still cheaper and I read that it also have TTL functionality:

https://www.cameranu.nl/nl/p803645/meike-speedlite-mk320-flitser-voor-fujifilm

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads