If the new camera is all that is climed, I AM ALL IN

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
breeze_of_wind
breeze_of_wind Senior Member • Posts: 1,340
If the new camera is all that is climed, I AM ALL IN

With a fist full of Pentax and Sigma lenses, plus the full frame Pentax camera, all I hoped for was a new body for motion phootography -- birds, etc.  They appear to have delivered.  I do not have to move.  A new Pentax camera and a couple of new lenses will do it -- maybe I will even look at the 560mm lens.   Who knows.

I have a simple message -- thank you Pentax.

John Morris

breeze_of_wind's gear list:breeze_of_wind's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +12 more
ozdean
ozdean Forum Pro • Posts: 26,307
Re: If the new camera is all that is climed, I AM ALL IN

I think this is a targeted sports/wildlife camera, fast and efficient, aimed at a specific market where Pentax has been lacking in this current era.

We have the K1 series for high grade landscape/astro/stills etc.

K7/KP entry level, good general photography

I think they are on the right track - all can be used in mild mirrorless mode.

All lenses interchangeable & compatible.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +13 more
breeze_of_wind
OP breeze_of_wind Senior Member • Posts: 1,340

ozdean wrote:

I think this is a targeted sports/wildlife camera, fast and efficient, aimed at a specific market where Pentax has been lacking in this current era.

We have the K1 series for high grade landscape/astro/stills etc.

K7/KP entry level, good general photography

I think they are on the right track - all can be used in mild mirrorless mode.

All lenses interchangeable & compatible.

I agree --- If true, and all signs suggest Yes it is, I think Pentax is making a great move.  I love the K1 and when coupled with the K3 III I will have all I ever wanted from Pentax.

John

breeze_of_wind's gear list:breeze_of_wind's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +12 more
ozdean
ozdean Forum Pro • Posts: 26,307

We will see John..

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +13 more
joelbolden Forum Member • Posts: 86

I've been using a K-70(with a K-7 backup) for the last 3 years.  Great entry level camera and I've only the standard Pentax complaints with the level of technology(AF, Video etc) To move to the K3MK3 is a no brainer for me. Have the money saved and am waiting for the first reviews.

joelbolden's gear list:joelbolden's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z6 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Fujifilm XP120 Pentax K20D Pentax K-7 +16 more
John Cal
John Cal Regular Member • Posts: 384

breeze_of_wind wrote:

With a fist full of Pentax and Sigma lenses, plus the full frame Pentax camera, all I hoped for was a new body for motion phootography -- birds, etc. They appear to have delivered. I do not have to move. A new Pentax camera and a couple of new lenses will do it -- maybe I will even look at the 560mm lens. Who knows.

John Morris

I was hoping that this new camera would have offered a 'play back' mode through the view finder, I dont think it dose so a bit of a let down for me, but traditional DSLR users should be happy with it.

John Cal's gear list:John Cal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 Pentax K10D Pentax K-7 Pentax Q Pentax K-01 +18 more
Phil A Martin
Phil A Martin Senior Member • Posts: 2,533

John Cal wrote:

breeze_of_wind wrote:

With a fist full of Pentax and Sigma lenses, plus the full frame Pentax camera, all I hoped for was a new body for motion phootography -- birds, etc. They appear to have delivered. I do not have to move. A new Pentax camera and a couple of new lenses will do it -- maybe I will even look at the 560mm lens. Who knows.

John Morris

I was hoping that this new camera would have offered a 'play back' mode through the view finder, I dont think it dose so a bit of a let down for me, but traditional DSLR users should be happy with it.

You can only have that facility with mirrorless cameras with an EVF. It would simply be impossible to do with a DSLR OVF.

It seems silly to be disappointed because the camera doesn't have a facility it could  never possibly have.

John Cal
John Cal Regular Member • Posts: 384

Phil A Martin wrote:

John Cal wrote:

breeze_of_wind wrote:

John Morris

You can only have that facility with mirrorless cameras with an EVF. It would simply be impossible to do with a DSLR OVF.

It seems silly to be disappointed because the camera doesn't have a facility it could never possibly have.

Since Pentax holds a patient on a hybrid OVF/EVF which was the reasoning behind my thoughts about the possibility of this camera having the best of both worlds. I dont believe it to be a scilly idea over a feature that could be implemented? I am disappointed that this could have been a stand out camera, a camera that could utilise a Hybrid OVF/EVF would be a real game changer and a massive hit for Pentax. Alas not in this camera but maybe in the future? If Pentax can move forward with innovation.

John Cal's gear list:John Cal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 Pentax K10D Pentax K-7 Pentax Q Pentax K-01 +18 more
wolfone Forum Member • Posts: 55

ditto

drummercam Senior Member • Posts: 1,684

All will be well, I am very sure.
-------------------
"Elegance of operation" -- Pentax
"Heavy for its size" -- DPR

drummercam's gear list:drummercam's gear list
Leica Q Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-S2 +1 more
DHOC_TAZH
DHOC_TAZH Junior Member • Posts: 44

John Cal wrote:

Phil A Martin wrote:

John Cal wrote:

breeze_of_wind wrote:

John Morris

It seems silly to be disappointed because the camera doesn't have a facility it could never possibly have.

Since Pentax holds a patient on a hybrid OVF/EVF which was the reasoning behind my thoughts about the possibility of this camera having the best of both worlds. I dont believe it to be a scilly idea over a feature that could be implemented? I am disappointed that this could have been a stand out camera, a camera that could utilise a Hybrid OVF/EVF would be a real game changer and a massive hit for Pentax. Alas not in this camera but maybe in the future? If Pentax can move forward with innovation.

John Cal's point is understandable. Fuji has had a hybrid OVF/EVF setup with their higher end models since 2012. It's not impossible to install a hybrid viewfinder system in a DSLR if rangefinders can utilize them.

DHOC_TAZH's gear list:DHOC_TAZH's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Panasonic ZS100 Pentax K-x Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Pentax K-70 +18 more
RBellavance Senior Member • Posts: 1,234

I'll most likely get one as well. My K-5II will be 8 years old this december and is starting to show its age. The K-3III appears to tick all the boxes for me.

markusm Regular Member • Posts: 142

RBellavance wrote:

I'll most likely get one as well. My K-5II will be 8 years old this december and is starting to show its age. The K-3III appears to tick all the boxes for me.

My K-5 (the original one) is also nearing retirement. The K3-III might be the first upgrade I will seriously consider.

Phil A Martin

DHOC_TAZH wrote:

John Cal wrote:

Phil A Martin wrote:

John Cal wrote:

breeze_of_wind wrote:

John Morris

John Cal's point is understandable. Fuji has had a hybrid OVF/EVF setup with their higher end models since 2012. It's not impossible to install a hybrid viewfinder system in a DSLR if rangefinders can utilize them.

That is a completely different set up to Pentax DSLR cameras. With certain FUJI cameras, you can choose between a direct vision OVF viewfinder, similar to that in a rangefinder camera, such as you'd find in a Leica or flick a switch and use an EVF instead. This is a totally different set up to the standard SLR set up in a Pentax OVF.

Massao Senior Member • Posts: 2,580
Waiting...

I don’t really take BIF photos often so not sure which lenses are available for K-mount but as you have many lenses for K-mount, getting a K-33 is an obvious choice. For me, its not as straightforward. I was more tempted when the specs came out but soon realized that for me, K-33 is just like buying into a new system altogether-- as I would need to buy at least three new lenses (PLM/ring-type SDM and Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8) to use the supposedly better AF system of K-33. Older screw-driven AF lenses won’t perform adequately if the AF system in camera is really as good as it can be. They will work better on K33 than previous Pentax DSLRs (most likely) but I don’t see a point of buying a new camera and not benefit from its AF system fully by using older lenses only.

Not sure what the 16-50mm f/2.8 PLM will cost but newer DC/PLM/SDM Pentax lenses are definitely more expensive here than equivalent lenses for Sony’s E /Nikon F system. Lots to think of For now, all my bases are covered so not in a hurry, per se. I can of course, wait a bit and pick up K-33 + lenses on discounts/sales when traveling through some other country later on (Norway is perhaps one of the worst places to buy Pentax gear ). We’ll see. For now, I anxiously wait for reviews and tests of K33 

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Massao
--
First camera: Canon FTB; First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax; First Nikon: F601 (N6006); First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5; First DSLR: Nikon D70; First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11

Massao's gear list:Massao's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Pentax K-r Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1100 A3000 +41 more
Phil A Martin
Re: Waiting...

Massao wrote:

I don’t really take BIF photos often so not sure which lenses are available for K-mount but as you have many lenses for K-mount, getting a K-33 is an obvious choice. For me, its not as straightforward. I was more tempted when the specs came out but soon realized that for me, K-33 is just like buying into a new system altogether-- as I would need to buy at least three new lenses (PLM/ring-type SDM and Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8) to use the supposedly better AF system of K-33. Older screw-driven AF lenses won’t perform adequately if the AF system in camera is really as good as it can be. They will work better on K33 than previous Pentax DSLRs (most likely) but I don’t see a point of buying a new camera and not benefit from its AF system fully by using older lenses only.

I guess that largely depends on what you're shooting. Unless you are doing sports or similar, for landscapes and the like, I'd have thought even older screwdriven lenses would be fine on the new K3iii.

Not sure what the 16-50mm f/2.8 PLM will cost but newer DC/PLM/SDM Pentax lenses are definitely more expensive here than equivalent lenses for Sony’s E /Nikon F system. Lots to think of For now, all my bases are covered so not in a hurry, per se. I can of course, wait a bit and pick up K-33 + lenses on discounts/sales when traveling through some other country later on (Norway is perhaps one of the worst places to buy Pentax gear ). We’ll see. For now, I anxiously wait for reviews and tests of K33

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Massao
--
First camera: Canon FTB; First autofocus SLR camera: Pentax; First Nikon: F601 (N6006); First digital camera: Sony DSC-W5; First DSLR: Nikon D70; First mirrorless ICL camera: Samsung nx11

Phil A Martin wrote:

Massao wrote:

I guess that largely depends on what you're shooting. Unless you are doing sports or similar, for landscapes and the like, I'd have thought even older screwdriven lenses would be fine on the new K3iii.

Yes, certainly. For still subjects or landscape, screw-driven lenses are more than enough. But for a child running around...not so much. I still use many screw-driven lenses and won't mind using a few on K-33 as well. But I know there are a few new lenses I will need to buy with K-33.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Massao
--

JeremieB Regular Member • Posts: 304

Massao wrote:

Not sure what the 16-50mm f/2.8 PLM will cost but newer DC/PLM/SDM Pentax lenses are definitely more expensive here than equivalent lenses for Sony’s E /Nikon F system.

In fact K3 iii will change nothing to this situation, except that it will make those newer lenses more valuable.

Also I think it's an error to consider K3 iii only valuable asset will be AF-C: even if we limit to AF, it will bring better viewfinder, joystick, touch AF and 12 FPS. All this can add value to all our lenses, even MF ones regarding viewfinder.

Lots to think of For now, all my bases are covered so not in a hurry, per se. I can of course, wait a bit and pick up K-33 + lenses on discounts/sales when traveling through some other country later on (Norway is perhaps one of the worst places to buy Pentax gear ). We’ll see. For now, I anxiously wait for reviews and tests of K33

JeremieB's gear list:JeremieB's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +5 more

JeremieB wrote:

Massao wrote:

Not sure what the 16-50mm f/2.8 PLM will cost but newer DC/PLM/SDM Pentax lenses are definitely more expensive here than equivalent lenses for Sony’s E /Nikon F system.

In fact K3 iii will change nothing to this situation, except that it will make those newer lenses more valuable.

True, but without the AF improvements in K-33, I would not have considered to buy another Pentax camera at all.

Also I think it's an error to consider K3 iii only valuable asset will be AF-C: even if we limit to AF, it will bring better viewfinder, joystick, touch AF and 12 FPS. All this can add value to all our lenses, even MF ones regarding viewfinder.

Certainly K-33 has many other features also but for me the most important one is AF system. I already have several cameras with 8 fps and that is more than enough really. And I have cameras with touch AF as well, so none of those other features attract me that much. Its really the AF system that will make me buy K-33.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Massao
--

Phil A Martin

JeremieB wrote:

Massao wrote:

Agreed. Fast AF is the last thing I'd need from the K3iii.

Lots to think of For now, all my bases are covered so not in a hurry, per se. I can of course, wait a bit and pick up K-33 + lenses on discounts/sales when traveling through some other country later on (Norway is perhaps one of the worst places to buy Pentax gear ). We’ll see. For now, I anxiously wait for reviews and tests of K33

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads