Nikon Z7 vs EOS R vs Nikon Z6 for Landscape Photography,which is Best ?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Ranjit06 New Member • Posts: 2
Nikon Z7 vs EOS R vs Nikon Z6 for Landscape Photography,which is Best ?

I am planning to buy my first Full frame camera for Landscape photography, I am confused between z7,z6 and Eos R , I am confused please help me ?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Labe
MOD Labe Forum Pro • Posts: 11,607
Re: Nikon Z7 vs EOS R vs Nikon Z6 for Landscape Photography,which is Best ?

I would actually look at the Sony A7Riv with landscape in mind.

Have a read https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-cameras-for-landscapes

this might just help you out.

-- hide signature --

He worships me so much he even took my name. How awesome is that!

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P950 Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR +5 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 48,059

I would think all would be equally well suited for landscape photography. Any other opinions you get may be tainted by brand loyalty.
Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
Labe
MOD Labe Forum Pro • Posts: 11,607

tbcass wrote:

I would think all would be equally well suited for landscape photography. Any other opinions you get may be tainted by brand loyalty.
Tom

Ha you could be right but I recommended the Sony for the extra pixels more than anything.

-- hide signature --

He worships me so much he even took my name. How awesome is that!

Labe's gear list:Labe's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P950 Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR +5 more
Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 14,029

Ranjit06 wrote:

I am planning to buy my first Full frame camera for Landscape photography, I am confused between z7,z6 and Eos R , I am confused please help me ?

Of the three cameras specified, the Z7 wins easily.  DPR has done the work for you:

DPR

With the Z7 you get an extra stop at ISO 64 for better dynamic range and a good selection of lenses for landscape.

Reilly Diefenbach's gear list:Reilly Diefenbach's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 10,400

I was just about to say the same.  Actually I was about to say they are all the same and you should buy the one you like most.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +5 more
Reilly Diefenbach

a_c_skinner wrote:

I was just about to say the same. Actually I was about to say they are all the same

So MP count and dynamic range are all the same and don't matter anyway for landscape?  Interesting take.

and you should buy the one you like most.

Nikon D500 Nikon D850
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 27,591

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

a_c_skinner wrote:

I was just about to say the same. Actually I was about to say they are all the same

So MP count and dynamic range are all the same and don't matter anyway for landscape? Interesting take.

My feeling is that 24 Megapixels is the minimum for a Bayer sensor if you want landscapes with a lot of fine detail (individual leaves on trees etc). 36 or more is desirable.

But I have old landscapes shot on 35mm film with nowhere near that resolution which I think still work. However, they are the more impressionistic type of landscape.

As for dynamic range, I think provided you save raw files all the recent models have enough. You may want to bracket in some high contrast scenes.

Don Cox

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 18,335

Ranjit06 wrote:

I don't think that landscape photography is particularly challenging with respect to camera performance. More megapixels are good, high dynamic range is good, sharp lenses are good. So, of the options you named, I'd drop the Z6 because it's 24MP and the other 2 are higher.

But if you have a good lens, are standing in the right spot and shoot at the right time, you'll get a good landscape image with most cameras.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +12 more

For practical purposes, within the range of cameras suggested, by most users, in most circumstances they make little difference.

Canon 350D or a Nikon D200 would be a bit behind the curve, but stuff nowadays not really.

OTOH if one is clearly best, just tell us and explain why.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +5 more
Reilly Diefenbach

a_c_skinner wrote:

For practical purposes, within the range of cameras suggested, by most users, in most circumstances they make little difference.

To some.  Others use medium format cameras or 4X5 or even 8X10 to get the look they want.  To hear you tell it, they're all wasting their time.

Canon 350D or a Nikon D200 would be a bit behind the curve, but stuff nowadays not really.

24MP good, 46 better.  Simple.

OTOH if one is clearly best, just tell us and explain why.

Have another look at the DPR samples above and you tell us which camera would be better suited to record fine detail such as foliage, pebbles, branches, etc.with lower false color and moire into the bargain.

Nikon D500 Nikon D850

The OP specifically asked about full frame.  I realise full plate is a deal fuller than 135 but that wasn't the question.  There isn't much to choose between the full frame offerings as regards the pictures, it is safe to buy what you find pleasing.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

Alex Stewart in NL Forum Member • Posts: 88
depends on print size

I have 40 by 26.7 inch prints of landscapes, with my first gallery show (with some others) next month. With Perfectresize I could go to 48 inches. These are with my Nikon Z7 and Nikon D850. However, I am interested in even larger prints. Sony has a multi-shot 240 MP camera, but I went with the 187 MP that the Panasonic S1R has. With both, you need a tripod, but the Panasonic has a better implementation (according to DPreview). It's 47 MP with normal imaging. I've used Nikons all my life, starting with a used pro rangefinder (S3), and I really like them, but I also really like the Panasonic a lot. I'm sure plenty of Canon and Sony users could give similar testimonials. Whatever you choose, you have to really get to know it. And get to know what sort of landscapes you want to achieve. It took me about 12 years after getting serious again.

But I agree that the top Canon, Panasonic, and Nikon cameras will all EASILY handle what we can throw at them. And if you print at more normal sizes, 24MP or so is fine... but again, it depends.

Alex Stewart in NL Forum Member • Posts: 88
Re: depends on print size

Sorry. I meant to include Sony.

Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 18,335
Re: depends on print size

Alex Stewart in NL wrote:

But I agree that the top Canon, Panasonic, and Nikon cameras will all EASILY handle what we can throw at them. And if you print at more normal sizes, 24MP or so is fine... but again, it depends.

I agree. I have a 24MP camera and it's fine up to 16"X20". Maybe even bigger but I haven't tried.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +12 more
The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 24,401

D Cox wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

a_c_skinner wrote:

So MP count and dynamic range are all the same and don't matter anyway for landscape? Interesting take.

My feeling is that 24 Megapixels is the minimum for a Bayer sensor if you want landscapes with a lot of fine detail (individual leaves on trees etc). 36 or more is desirable.

But I have old landscapes shot on 35mm film with nowhere near that resolution which I think still work. However, they are the more impressionistic type of landscape.

As for dynamic range, I think provided you save raw files all the recent models have enough. You may want to bracket in some high contrast scenes.

Don Cox

I’d agree...most cameras now have sufficient DR to work with that any problems will be more due to inexperienced photographers than any gear.  That said, I find the choice of the Canon R to be odd.  Really, should be looking at the R5 to compare with the Z7 or D850.  The canon has the slightest bit better DR than the Z7/D850.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon EOS D30 Nikon D2X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 10D Fujifilm GFX 50R +16 more
tbcass

Labe wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Tom

Ha you could be right but I recommended the Sony for the extra pixels more than anything.

That's a good point but I was commenting on the 3 suggested choices. There is so much detail in most landscape photos that higher sensor resolution combined with a sharp lens can be an advantage.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
tbcass

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

a_c_skinner wrote:

The point is because those 3 cameras have essentially the same sensor resolution (the slight advantage the Canon has in that regard isn't enough to matter) and Dynamic range then the results won't be much different. Any other factors such as color rendition, lenses and ergonomics are a personal choice I don't feel qualified to comment on. All 3 cameras have AF capability more than good enough for landscapes. If you go beyond those 3 choices then yes more resolution and DR will improve results.

-- hide signature --

Tom

bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 67,158

Ranjit06 wrote:

I think the specification differences are insignificant enough in practice that it's not worth obsessing about. People have taken great landscapes with all those cameras, and none will let you down. There is an argument you want high pixel counts for landscapes, and all else being equal, the higher the pixel count the better. But really, all those cameras have high enough pixel counts to deliver great results.

It's worthwhile remembering that the lenses are as important, if not more important than the cameras. It might be worth thinking about the lenses you're liable to want, and how much you want to pay.

Nikon would offer you a zoom system at f/2.8 with the 14-24 and 24-70 lenses or at f/4 with the 14-30 and 24-70 lenses, or an f/1.8 prime system with lenses at 20, 24, 35, 50 and 85mm

Canon would offer you and f/2.8 zoom system with the 15-35 and 24-70. They don't presently have an f/4 UWA zoom, but can offer you a 24-105 at f/4. They can't either give you an f/1.8 prime system to match the Nikon. They have primes available at 35/1.8, 50 at f/1.2 and 85mm at f/2 and f/1.2.

So, I would think at the moment the Nikon has a more complete lens range available, but Canon will fill in the options fast, so unless you want to buy all at once, that might not be an issue. For the widest lens range immediately, you need a Sony.

But in the end, go for the one that appeals the most to you, even if it's illogical. You won't do badly with any of these choices.

-- hide signature --

Is it always wrong
for one to have the hots for
Comrade Kim Yo Jong?

Tuloom
Tuloom Veteran Member • Posts: 3,997

Sony a7R II and adapt older Zeiss ZF series lenses and many others.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads