Oly ST-8 Macro Flash for EM5iii

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Dale108
Dale108 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,693
Oly ST-8 Macro Flash for EM5iii

Just received this flash this week.  Works fairly well on the EM5iii, but while manual says that is compatible with the EM5iii, the flash does not fire during Focus Stacking.  Anyone know why it does not?

Dale

Dale108's gear list:Dale108's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Olympus TG-5 Sony RX10 IV Pentax K-1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
dav
dav Regular Member • Posts: 435
Re: Oly ST-8 Macro Flash for EM5iii

Dale108 wrote:

Just received this flash this week. Works fairly well on the EM5iii, but while manual says that is compatible with the EM5iii, the flash does not fire during Focus Stacking. Anyone know why it does not?

Dale

Check your shutter speed....in silent shutter flash only works below 1/100 I think it is...maybe even slower

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Dave

Dale108
OP Dale108 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,693

Tried that but still won't work.

Dale

dav wrote:

Dale108 wrote:

Just received this flash this week. Works fairly well on the EM5iii, but while manual says that is compatible with the EM5iii, the flash does not fire during Focus Stacking. Anyone know why it does not?

Dale

Check your shutter speed....in silent shutter flash only works below 1/100 I think it is...maybe even slower

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Olympus TG-5 Sony RX10 IV Pentax K-1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
mchnz Senior Member • Posts: 1,548

Dale108 wrote:

Dale

Manual or electronic shutter?  I don't have the ST-8, but I seem to remember reading that flash has some limitations with the electronic shutter.

Dale108
Re: Oly ST-8 Macro Flash for EM5iii: Worked it Out

It seems that the flash has to be in Manual mode for Focus Stacking to work.  Thanks All

Dale

mchnz wrote:

Dale108 wrote:

Dale

Manual or electronic shutter? I don't have the ST-8, but I seem to remember reading that flash has some limitations with the electronic shutter.

MacroLunchtimes
MacroLunchtimes Regular Member • Posts: 240

Dale,

Are you happy with diffusion from the connected diffusers?

Ive added another layer and my look at even more layers as I still get hotspots.

MacroLunchtimes's gear list:MacroLunchtimes's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro +1 more
Joe Lynch Senior Member • Posts: 1,980

Dale--If you mount your 5iii on a tripod for macro, be very gentle with any manual focus ring movements.  The tripod mount is a weak point of the camera.  I bought an L-bracket grip and tie-wrapped it to the right side strap eyelet to eliminate any flex of the tripod socket area.  Looks terrible, works perfectly.

L bracket grip modification for 5iii

Inexpensive L bracket grip for 5iii

Joe

Morpho Hunter Contributing Member • Posts: 701
Great review: How to eliminate flash hotspots with the STF-8 Macro Flash:
MacroLunchtimes
MacroLunchtimes Regular Member • Posts: 240
Re: Great review: How to eliminate flash hotspots with the STF-8 Macro Flash:

Nicky Bay is a legend of macro flash photography!

MacroLunchtimes's gear list:MacroLunchtimes's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro +1 more
Dale108

Hi Darren:

Have not used it enough yet to come to a definitive conclusion.

Dale

DarrenChef wrote:

Dale,

Are you happy with diffusion from the connected diffusers?

Ive added another layer and my look at even more layers as I still get hotspots.

Dale108

Thanks for the tip Joe

Dale

Joe Lynch wrote:

Dale--If you mount your 5iii on a tripod for macro, be very gentle with any manual focus ring movements. The tripod mount is a weak point of the camera. I bought an L-bracket grip and tie-wrapped it to the right side strap eyelet to eliminate any flex of the tripod socket area. Looks terrible, works perfectly.

L bracket grip modification for 5iii

Inexpensive L bracket grip for 5iii

Joe

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads