Water: long or short exposure?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
gavin
gavin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,868
Re: Water: long or short exposure?

1 even the sky is more dramatic. They are two completely different style though so it is a preference vs better.

-- hide signature --
 gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +5 more
GCam Veteran Member • Posts: 9,350

Was wondering how I missed this thread, but remembered I was traveling last weekend.  As shot, it's a great image.  I tend to overdo editing.  gc

Graham Meale
Graham Meale Veteran Member • Posts: 3,247

"Overdo" being the operative word. Realistic? Certainly not. Artistic? Absolutely!

-- hide signature --
 Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
GCam Veteran Member • Posts: 9,350

Thank you.  I was surprised at all the color when I lifted exposure in raw and just went from there with Apply Image and Contrast Mask and 1 Hue Sat layer to tone down the cyan in the center.  gc

Quarkcharmed
OP Quarkcharmed Contributing Member • Posts: 718

Thanks!!

It's interesting how much room there was for lifting the shadows in the jpeg I posted. In this version, the rocks became very 'hot' and dominant over waves and sky, which shows how it possible to emphasise one part of an image or another.

GCam wrote:

Was wondering how I missed this thread, but remembered I was traveling last weekend. As shot, it's a great image. I tend to overdo editing. gc

Quarkcharmed's gear list:Quarkcharmed's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
NixonS Regular Member • Posts: 264

Quarkcharmed wrote:

Which one do you like the most (if any)?

0.6s and 30s exposures respectively. The second one is taken closer to the blue hour and it would be difficult to actually make it shorter.

This thread is more to discuss your preferable approach to capturing the water movement, but CC is welcome and will be appreciated.

Cathedral Rocks

Cathedral Rocks

Imo they're both good but for different reasons.

The first, I love how the water seems more 'busy,' flowing in all different kinds of directions. The rocks draw your eyes to lighter part of the sky on the right side of the photo. All in all, I prefer the shorter exposure.

But I think it misses one thing the second does really well.

I really like the blue shift in the colour. I think I would try to replicate this in the first one in post. The tranquil waters, the calm sky. This is also very nice. And I can see more into the shadows/darks with this one.

They're both very nice photographs, well done

NixonS's gear list:NixonS's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +1 more
Quarkcharmed
OP Quarkcharmed Contributing Member • Posts: 718
 Quarkcharmed's gear list:Quarkcharmed's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
lost alaskan
lost alaskan Senior Member • Posts: 1,627

Aahh, that's a little wild.

lost alaskan's gear list:lost alaskan's gear list
Sony a6300 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +2 more
richj20 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,303
Another comparison

1/250 sec.

1/10 ec.

- Richard

richj20's gear list:richj20's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Sony a7R II
RUcrAZ
RUcrAZ Veteran Member • Posts: 6,642
Re: Another comparison

Why choose shutter speed at the time of the shot? Unless the photographer is desperate for time, given probably 1 minute (including adding perhaps ND filters) one can take a dozen shots at differing shutter speeds, and choose the one most suitable to his taste. Digital "film" is cheap.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads