Tricky Choice Coming Up ... Advice and Input Welcomed Please ...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Simon Pollard New Member • Posts: 11
Tricky Choice Coming Up ... Advice and Input Welcomed Please ...

Hi ... having had a Nikon D7000 for two years since 2013 then followed by a D810 since 2015 ... I feel the time may soon be right to upgrade my camera kit in some way.  I know the inescapable trends towards mirrorless of course is well developed.  FYI Naturally given the D810 I have quite a few decent full frame F mount lenses but I genuinely feel quite a few options are possibly for me over the next year(ish).   I am an enthusiastic amateur landscape photographer and you can assume budget is not an issue.  I both travel and trek into the wilds to some extent so lighter weight is better but I have been OK with the D810 setup pretty much.

https://simonneilpollard.com/ for reference ...

Questions and options in my head:

(1)  Stick with D810 ? - Why change .. but 5 years is a long time and things have moved on ??
(2)  Buy D850 tomorrow and get on with it ? - or better to wait for rumoured upgrade ??
(3). Wait for D860 / D880 model next year ? - Will it come ??  Is this counter strategic ??
(4). Buy Nikon Z7 ? - New Z mount lenses ? or use FTZ adapter is this OK ??
(5). Buy Sony a7R IV tomorrow ? - Well respected and used by many pros ?? - but full system switch cost ??
(6). Wait for Sony a7RIV replacement ? - unclear what that might be ?  Whats the point ?
(7). Longer shot might be Fuji GFX 50R range finder accessible mirrorless medium format ? - image quality of medium format sensor vs a7RIV or D850 ??

Any help and comments appreciated ... my instinct is D860/D880 but it feels counter strategic to mirrorless trend ... tough choices !!

Kind regards

Simon Pollard's gear list:Simon Pollard's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
nayyyyyyy7
nayyyyyyy7 Forum Member • Posts: 89
Re: Tricky Choice Coming Up ... Advice and Input Welcomed Please ...

IMO, if you feel that the gear isn't holding you back, just stick with it!

-- hide signature --
 nayyyyyyy7's gear list:nayyyyyyy7's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
Krusty79 Senior Member • Posts: 2,218

Not sure what you are looking to improve upon with a new camera. Is the D810 limiting you?

Do you have a preference for optical vs. electronic viewfinder?

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gkphotos79/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/greg79
"You can't be young forever, but you can always be immature" - Larry Andersen

Krusty79's gear list:Krusty79's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
ChelseaPhotographer
ChelseaPhotographer Contributing Member • Posts: 615

Simon Pollard wrote:

Hi ... having had a Nikon D7000 for two years since 2013 then followed by a D810 since 2015 ... I feel the time may soon be right to upgrade my camera kit in some way. I know the inescapable trends towards mirrorless of course is well developed. FYI Naturally given the D810 I have quite a few decent full frame F mount lenses but I genuinely feel quite a few options are possibly for me over the next year(ish). I am an enthusiastic amateur landscape photographer and you can assume budget is not an issue. I both travel and trek into the wilds to some extent so lighter weight is better but I have been OK with the D810 setup pretty much.

(1) Stick with D810 ? - Why change .. but 5 years is a long time and things have moved on ??
(2) Buy D850 tomorrow and get on with it ? - or better to wait for rumoured upgrade ??
(3). Wait for D860 / D880 model next year ? - Will it come ?? Is this counter strategic ??
(5). Buy Sony a7R IV tomorrow ? - Well respected and used by many pros ?? - but full system switch cost ??
(6). Wait for Sony a7RIV replacement ? - unclear what that might be ? Whats the point ?
(7). Longer shot might be Fuji GFX 50R range finder accessible mirrorless medium format ? - image quality of medium format sensor vs a7RIV or D850 ??

Any help and comments appreciated ... my instinct is D860/D880 but it feels counter strategic to mirrorless trend ... tough choices !!

Kind regards

Like a few people have said, if your D810 is serving you well, there really is no need to upgrade. But if you want to buy a new toy I would go with either the Fuji GFX 50R, the D850 or the Z7 Mark II. (personally I have the 645Z, the D850 and the A7RIV).

The Fuji is going to give you better IQ and better resolution than all the others. That's what you get with a sensor that is 70% bigger. Do you actually need that resolution?

The D850 is an amazing choice for fast action, but if you are only shooting landscapes, I would go with the Z7 Mark II to have a lighter setup.

I wouldn't go with the Sony just because the colors are not as pleasant. I have it because with the Tamron trinity of f/2.8 zooms it is relatively affordable and light.

If I were you, though, I would book a trip to Antarctica instead and I would enjoy my D810 there.

ChelseaPhotographer's gear list:ChelseaPhotographer's gear list
SeaLife DC2000 Ricoh GR III Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS Nikon D850 +1 more
rich_cx139 Senior Member • Posts: 1,320

If you fancy new kit that’s fine of course but, as others have said, if your D810 + FX glass is doing what you want I am confused about what you are asking.

Apart from that, I guess a natural upgrade would be the D850 - pretty much the perfect dslr for stills -just better AF than the d810 if you need that for sports/ action.

robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 7,803

Simon Pollard wrote:

Hi ... having had a Nikon D7000 for two years since 2013 then followed by a D810 since 2015 ... I feel the time may soon be right to upgrade my camera kit in some way. I know the inescapable trends towards mirrorless of course is well developed. FYI Naturally given the D810 I have quite a few decent full frame F mount lenses but I genuinely feel quite a few options are possibly for me over the next year(ish). I am an enthusiastic amateur landscape photographer and you can assume budget is not an issue. I both travel and trek into the wilds to some extent so lighter weight is better but I have been OK with the D810 setup pretty much.

(1) Stick with D810 ? - Why change .. but 5 years is a long time and things have moved on ??

They have moved on, but whether that helps you take better images is debatable. That's still a great sensor and as long as the shutter works the rest is sort of gravy, unless you do video or have a specialized need.

(2) Buy D850 tomorrow and get on with it ? - or better to wait for rumoured upgrade ??

I believe it may have come down in price.

(3). Wait for D860 / D880 model next year ? - Will it come ?? Is this counter strategic ??

Who knows? really hard to guess the future in tech, and even harder with camera bodies. But would it hurt to wait?

I would say that Nikon lags Canon and Sony in both features in the new FF mirrorless cameras and in lenses. But that's just spec shopping; if you've already got great lenses that work and you can work with easily (and your excellent photos seem to show that you do) then staying with something that works with the glass you have seems prudent. Especially since you might profit from having two bodies that can use the same lenses. And having both mirrorless and mirrored might allow you to draw from either's strength depending on the shooting you're doing.

Yes, and given your level of photography the learning curve for a new system is something to consider as well. Not insurmountable, of course, but often just small things in menus and such can drive you nuts (I have a cheapo Oly eg that has one menu feature I use a LOT and it's missing in Canon and I curse it every time I go out).

(6). Wait for Sony a7RIV replacement ? - unclear what that might be ? Whats the point ?

That might be a good reason to upgrade, or actually add a new camera. But you seem to do some pano shots already, and putting together big images can be done without necessarily relying on a bigger sensor. Sonys and Pentax have pixel shift, which on static stuff or many landscapes can get you some images that can be  printed very large at relatively high resolutions.

Kind regards

I'd suggest maybe a rental. Just to explore, but maybe even as a longer term strategy, if say you had reason to do some big high res shots on occasion, but not often enough to justify it as an everyday or even travel shooter. Having a diversity of bodies can be as advantageous at times as having different lenses. And Lens Rentals has a Keeper program if you decide to buy.

OP Simon Pollard New Member • Posts: 11

nayyyyyyy7 wrote:

IMO, if you feel that the gear isn't holding you back, just stick with it!

You are right ... the gear isn't the constraint on my images or my fun to be honest ... I have patience and certainly wont rush ...

Nikon D7000 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +11 more

Krusty79 wrote:

Not sure what you are looking to improve upon with a new camera. Is the D810 limiting you?

Do you have a preference for optical vs. electronic viewfinder?

At the high level the D810 is great of course ... but improved in body and lens stabilisation algorithms to help with hand held shooting could be good to avoid lugging tripods to far and high ... plus a larger sensor generally helps for heavy cropping and less noise .... I have only used OVF to date .. so don't know my preference vs EVF ?

ChelseaPhotographer wrote:

Simon Pollard wrote:

Kind regards

Like a few people have said, if your D810 is serving you well, there really is no need to upgrade. But if you want to buy a new toy I would go with either the Fuji GFX 50R, the D850 or the Z7 Mark II. (personally I have the 645Z, the D850 and the A7RIV).

The Fuji is going to give you better IQ and better resolution than all the others. That's what you get with a sensor that is 70% bigger. Do you actually need that resolution?

The D850 is an amazing choice for fast action, but if you are only shooting landscapes, I would go with the Z7 Mark II to have a lighter setup.

I wouldn't go with the Sony just because the colors are not as pleasant. I have it because with the Tamron trinity of f/2.8 zooms it is relatively affordable and light.

If I were you, though, I would book a trip to Antarctica instead and I would enjoy my D810 there.

Like the Antarctica thought ... I guess with the Fuji the lens selection is much less than Nikon in particular and also quite expensive ... I don't usually need fast action but wouldn't discount the occasional bird or two ...

rich_cx139 wrote:

If you fancy new kit that’s fine of course but, as others have said, if your D810 + FX glass is doing what you want I am confused about what you are asking.

Apart from that, I guess a natural upgrade would be the D850 - pretty much the perfect dslr for stills -just better AF than the d810 if you need that for sports/ action.

Agreed ... D850 is a strong candidate for sure

robgendreau wrote:

Simon Pollard wrote:

They have moved on, but whether that helps you take better images is debatable. That's still a great sensor and as long as the shutter works the rest is sort of gravy, unless you do video or have a specialized need.

I believe it may have come down in price.

Who knows? really hard to guess the future in tech, and even harder with camera bodies. But would it hurt to wait?

I would say that Nikon lags Canon and Sony in both features in the new FF mirrorless cameras and in lenses. But that's just spec shopping; if you've already got great lenses that work and you can work with easily (and your excellent photos seem to show that you do) then staying with something that works with the glass you have seems prudent. Especially since you might profit from having two bodies that can use the same lenses. And having both mirrorless and mirrored might allow you to draw from either's strength depending on the shooting you're doing.

Yes, and given your level of photography the learning curve for a new system is something to consider as well. Not insurmountable, of course, but often just small things in menus and such can drive you nuts (I have a cheapo Oly eg that has one menu feature I use a LOT and it's missing in Canon and I curse it every time I go out).

That might be a good reason to upgrade, or actually add a new camera. But you seem to do some pano shots already, and putting together big images can be done without necessarily relying on a bigger sensor. Sonys and Pentax have pixel shift, which on static stuff or many landscapes can get you some images that can be printed very large at relatively high resolutions.

Kind regards

I'd suggest maybe a rental. Just to explore, but maybe even as a longer term strategy, if say you had reason to do some big high res shots on occasion, but not often enough to justify it as an everyday or even travel shooter. Having a diversity of bodies can be as advantageous at times as having different lenses. And Lens Rentals has a Keeper program if you decide to buy.

Great advice .. many thanks for the valuable guidance.  Much appreciated !!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads