moon with m6ii and 18-150

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
ken_in_nh Senior Member • Posts: 1,096
moon with m6ii and 18-150

My copy of the 18-150 doesn't thrill me, but these shots of the crescent moon are intriguing, especially the one at 1/8 second, handheld.  These were raw shots exported from photoshop with no additional editing, such as NR, just the import setting, Adobe Standard.  Noise is pretty obvious with the faster shutter one, but it was at 51,200!

Comments?

Tourlou Contributing Member • Posts: 991
Re: moon with m6ii and 18-150

Wrong timing to take a Moon picture.  Your Moon  is wayyyyy overexposed to allow you to picture the foreground.  The best solution I was able to come-up with is to wait until a few days before full Moon and clic the picture of the rising moon while the sun is on the horizon.  That way, you can shorten your exposure and still see the first plane.

OP ken_in_nh Senior Member • Posts: 1,096

Tourlou wrote:

Wrong timing to take a Moon picture. Your Moon is wayyyyy overexposed to allow you to picture the foreground. The best solution I was able to come-up with is to wait until a few days before full Moon and clic the picture of the rising moon while the sun is on the horizon. That way, you can shorten your exposure and still see the first plane.

You rather missed my point.  This was a grab shot of the crescent moon to see how things looked.  And seeing how the lens stabilization was working.

You think I'm so stupid that I wouldn't use a tripod for a serious moon shot? 

If I were doing a serious moon shot, I would have used my 150-600 tele, tripod mounted and exposure adjusted.  But why would I want to do that?   Nothing new about moon shots.

ken_in_nh wrote:

Tourlou wrote:

Wrong timing to take a Moon picture. Your Moon is wayyyyy overexposed to allow you to picture the foreground. The best solution I was able to come-up with is to wait until a few days before full Moon and clic the picture of the rising moon while the sun is on the horizon. That way, you can shorten your exposure and still see the first plane.

You rather missed my point. This was a grab shot of the crescent moon to see how things looked. And seeing how the lens stabilization was working.

If I were doing a serious moon shot, I would have used my 150-600 tele, tripod mounted and exposure adjusted. But why would I want to do that? Nothing new about moon shots.

So, if it was only a test shot, why posting it here without labelling it as such.  I was trying to help.  Around here, we don't know the skill level of each person.  You may well be a professional, but here, there are many beginners.

You sound pretty warm bloodied for a guy from up north.  Happily, winter is coming.  Hopefully, it cools you off a bit!!!

Regards.

Ron

Dareshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,729

ken_in_nh wrote:

Tourlou wrote:

You rather missed my point. This was a grab shot of the crescent moon to see how things looked. And seeing how the lens stabilization was working.

If I were doing a serious moon shot, I would have used my 150-600 tele, tripod mounted and exposure adjusted. But why would I want to do that? Nothing new about moon shots.

Why so snarky ? You invited comments and you got some.

AmateurSnaps Regular Member • Posts: 102

It’s a snap of the moon at 50k plus iso.

What comments are you hoping for?

I think we should move this thread to a boring Moon pictures thread.  I'll be first!!!  lol!!!!

Boring moon picture taken with a 40 years old manual Maksutov design, 1 meter focal length, Russian lens.  The lens is a lot more interesting than the picture actually!

Cheers!

Ron

Tourlou wrote:

I think we should move this thread to a boring Moon pictures thread. I'll be first!!! lol!!!!

Boring moon picture taken with a 40 years old manual Maksutov design, 1 meter focal length, Russian lens. The lens is a lot more interesting than the picture actually!

Cheers!

Ron

Great but you should have used some fill flash to lighten the heavy shadow top right.

Dareshooter wrote:

Tourlou wrote:

I think we should move this thread to a boring Moon pictures thread. I'll be first!!! lol!!!!

Boring moon picture taken with a 40 years old manual Maksutov design, 1 meter focal length, Russian lens. The lens is a lot more interesting than the picture actually!

Cheers!

Ron

Great but you should have used some fill flash to lighten the heavy shadow top right.

Yes...  I know...  But only Canon flashes have a command mode that allows for exploding a  Supernovae on demand.  Nikon flashes allow only controling brown dwarves.

Tourlou wrote:

Dareshooter wrote:

Tourlou wrote:

Cheers!

Ron

Yes... I know... But only Canon flashes have a command mode that allows for exploding a Supernovae on demand. Nikon flashes allow only controling brown dwarves.

You should  try the Godox Snow White 7, blows the Nikon out of the water.

OP ken_in_nh Senior Member • Posts: 1,096

You guys are enough to make me go back to being a lurker! 

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads