New X-t3 owner!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Zinch Regular Member • Posts: 249
New X-t3 owner!

Hi all!

I've been in the Canon M series for one year and a half more or less. I'm pretty happy with my M50 and lenses, but I wanted some more options and be sure I'm investing in a system with future development. So, after seeing the direction the Canon M series is trending to, I decided that I wanted to change ship.

I've been thinking about it a lot (A LOT) lately. I've considered every manufacturer and I've been very tempted by some FF options (Nikon Z5 seems a great camera at a good price). But finaly I've come to my senses: I don't need FF and the price and bulk is too much for me.

That geared me to Fujifilm (I hate the A6XXX series). "Well, it's all done" would you think. Oh man, I swear it wasn't! I've had a lot of doubts between the X-T3 and the X-S10. I've been some weeks switching form one to the other, leaving some pages one click before purchasing one or the other while some FF ghosts appeared from time to time.

Finaly, I settled on the X-T3. I love how it looks, its specs are more than enough for me (I don't need IBIS realy, but it would be handy of course), and I want to try the classic button array.

Some minutes ago I pulled the trigger for an X-T3 and the XF 16-80. WEEEEE!!

Now I just have to wait for it to arrive.

Note: I've found a good offer on the kit. I hope I don't see a better one in a few weeks in the Black Friday. Instead I plan to search for a good offer in some lenses

Zinch's gear list:Zinch's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M) Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
stratman1976
stratman1976 Contributing Member • Posts: 966
Re: New X-t3 owner!

Congratulations on your new camera!

The look, feel, quality and weight of the cameras and lenses really hit the mark for me. It’s a system I have no problem with bringing anywhere and thus makes me take more pictures!

Happy shooting!

PS don’t look at bargains the coming weeks, it’ll only frustrate you and is inevitable

stratman1976's gear list:stratman1976's gear list
Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +8 more
yayatosorus Contributing Member • Posts: 967

Welcome and congratulations!

yayatosorus's gear list:yayatosorus's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
Techvet Forum Member • Posts: 68

Congrats!  I too was a former M user and bought into Fuji just two weeks ago.  My motivation to jump is the same as yours.  I’ve concluded that Canon has no long term plans to take the M line to the next level.  My M50 and M5 worked well and I got some great photos out of them.  The M line does has a lot of happy customers, I just realized I wanted something different and that it was time to move on.

I too bought the X-T3 (silver) + 16-18 combo.  I’ve spent the past week and a half learning to operate this beast and am ready to start using it.  As you will soon see, the X-T3 is way more capable and customizable than any M body.   If you haven’t already found it, take some time to watch Mike the Maven’s YouTube video on the X-T3 functions.  It takes a couple of hours, but I found it got me more familiar with the controls and menus - way faster than hunting and pecking myself.   He also has a 6 hour X-T3 crash course that I’ve bought, but haven’t yet dived into.    There is NOTHING remotely similar to these in-depth videos with the M series.   Lots of great support here on the forum as well.  And the latest X-T3 firmware release is icing on the cake!  Canon rarely, if ever, dribbles that kind of love on it’s customers.  Oh, and the glass selection is awesome - fast, weather resistant, metal construction....

At first I had planned to hold on to my M kit (2 bodies plus all 8 lenses), but I’ve decided to go all in with Fuji.  I hope to have the M gear sold by Thanksgiving so I can shop the Black Friday sales for another X-T3 or X-S10 body or maybe another lens or two.  I already scarfed up a couple of the moderately fast WR primes from the AAFES Exchange website.     Current and retired military can shop there and get $20-40 off MSRP on a decent selection of Fuji gear, plus avoid sales tax.

Techvet's gear list:Techvet's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 Fujifilm XF 16mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +3 more
Bolothegreat Contributing Member • Posts: 539

Congrats Zinch! I'm glad you finally pulled the trigger & went with XT3. It's a huge step up from M50 for sure & 16-80 is also a versatile lens.

I'd recommend pal2tech for plenty of useful Fuji tips & Omar Gonzalez for his humorous personality.

Hope you receive your gear soon & update the firmware for both the body & lens straight away and enjoy.

Bolothegreat's gear list:Bolothegreat's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +8 more
Foskito
Foskito Regular Member • Posts: 427

Congrats! My XT3 put a full stop on my GAS, and I don't see any need to ”down-grade” to the XT4, I love the tilt-screen and the exposure dial that it is gone. Now a couple of primes and you are set!

Foskito's gear list:Foskito's gear list
Leica M9-P Leica M8 Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS 5D +11 more
stratman1976
stratman1976 Contributing Member • Posts: 966

Foskito wrote:

and the exposure dial that it is gone.

do you mean the metering dial that’s on the X-T3 but not on the X-T4?

stratman1976's gear list:stratman1976's gear list
Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +8 more
baobob
baobob Forum Pro • Posts: 15,482

Welcome and congrats

You could well find BFriday offer for the excellent 55-200mm as a complement for your gear

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
OP Zinch Regular Member • Posts: 249

Thank you all!

I can't wait for the camera to arrive!

The 55-200 seems a great lens, but I'll wait for the 70-300 (price and sharpness). It would compliment better the 16-80 IMO.

The lenses I'll be looking for first are the 56mm 1.2 or the 90mm. I love to take candids of my son and wife (that's the reason I haven't sold the sigma 56 still). I'm not sure wich one I'll get...

Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R

Bolothegreat wrote:

Congrats Zinch! I'm glad you finally pulled the trigger & went with XT3. It's a huge step up from M50 for sure & 16-80 is also a versatile lens.

I'd recommend pal2tech for plenty of useful Fuji tips & Omar Gonzalez for his humorous personality.

Hope you receive your gear soon & update the firmware for both the body & lens straight away and enjoy.

Thank you

I've seen some vids from both. I prefer Omar, it's more informative and fun IMO.

Aborher channel I like is Andrea&Denae or something like this.

But man! Now thst I'm waiting for the camera to arrive is hard to look at them! Lol

Foskito wrote:

Congrats! My XT3 put a full stop on my GAS, and I don't see any need to ”down-grade” to the XT4, I love the tilt-screen and the exposure dial that it is gone. Now a couple of primes and you are set!

I don't fool myself. I know me. The GAS for a new camera will settle for a long time (I'm sure), but the GAS for new lenses has just began

Zinch wrote:

Foskito wrote:

I don't fool myself. I know me. The GAS for a new camera will settle for a long time (I'm sure), but the GAS for new lenses has just began

Hahaha take it slow man, Fuji has a huge selection of lenses. You will go broke...check out the viltrox 56 + 85 & save a bit of money lol. I have those two and they are best ones out all the viltrox lenses imo.

Maybe check out the xf 16mm f1.4 for Fuji's best... 🤑

Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +8 more
baobob
baobob Forum Pro • Posts: 15,482

I own a 55-200mm really excellent Will check how good the new 70-300mm could be according to the best reviewers and see if I sold the 55-200m or not

For portrait I use my Xf 80mm which more than excellent and allows in addition fabulous macros..

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more

Zinch wrote:

Bolothegreat wrote:

Thank you

I've seen some vids from both. I prefer Omar, it's more informative and fun IMO.

Aborher channel I like is Andrea&Denae or something like this.

But man! Now thst I'm waiting for the camera to arrive is hard to look at them! Lol

Yes I like Omar & Andrew's great too. I found the pal2tech guy's style a bit over the top at first but I learn something new from every single video of his!

also want to mention tb- photography - lesser known Kiwi guy (don't mind his accent lol) but he's done a very thorough analysis of Fuji lenses...well worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ThomasBusbyPhotography/

MrSee
MrSee Senior Member • Posts: 1,536

Welcome. Enjoy your new camera.

Jim from Ontario Canada
Fuji X-H1
Fuji 18-55 2.8-4

MrSee's gear list:MrSee's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1
Foskito

stratman1976 wrote:

Foskito wrote:

and the exposure dial that it is gone.

do you mean the metering dial that’s on the X-T3 but not on the X-T4?

Stratman, yes... I meant the metering dial 😬... now it is a stills-video switch.

Foskito

Bolothegreat wrote:

Zinch wrote:

Foskito wrote:

Hahaha take it slow man, Fuji has a huge selection of lenses. You will go broke...check out the viltrox 56 + 85 & save a bit of money lol. I have those two and they are best ones out all the viltrox lenses imo.

Maybe check out the xf 16mm f1.4 for Fuji's best... 🤑

There are many great lenses. I love mine; 18mm f2, 23mm f2, 35mm f1.4 and 60mm f2.4 👍🏼 You can’t go wrong!

Foskito

Don’t forget to update the firmware, now the AF speed is amazing. -It was great already, but the extra horse-power is very welcome!

olynik969 Senior Member • Posts: 1,890
Congrat's!!!!! Very happy w/mine!

Enjoy!!!

Bob

-- hide signature --

Bob (formerly bobmax)

olynik969's gear list:olynik969's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Nikon Z6 Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +7 more
Re: Congrat's!!!!! Very happy w/mine!

Today I finaly received it.

Woah! The build quality compared with the M50 is in a completely different league. Just opening the box and looking how things are packed you notice it. And... Man! The SS and iso dials are a total pleasure to use. I doubted if I would like them, but I'm completely sold already

Also, the customizing options are daunting lol. I've been diging in the menus for a while and they are endless

The cons:

- The app is totaly unusable in my phone. I can connect the camera by blue tooth, but when I try to connect by wifi it just keeps trying to connect. The Canon app was a little cumbersome to connect, but it worked pretty well

- The kit is big! The camera being a little bigger than my M50 is not a bad thing in my book, but the 16-80 is bigger than expected.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads