D810 as webcam?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
lovEU Veteran Member • Posts: 3,172
D810 as webcam?

Does anyone has managed to use the D810 as a webcam? And if so how do you proceed?

Unfortunately Nikon's "Webcam Utility Beta" does'nt support the D810, at least not yet (only Z7, Z6, Z5, Z50, D6, D850, D780, D500, D7500, and D5600).

https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/sw/176.html

Adding more bodies to the list would be nice but I'm not sure if some technical restrictions may prevent Nikon from doing so (?)

-- hide signature --

regards, eric

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D500 Nikon D7500 Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
romfordbluenose Veteran Member • Posts: 4,985
Re: D810 as webcam?

There are various threads on this subject, perhaps not for the D810 though so a search may help.

I gave up using my cameras as a webcam some while ago, a dedicated video camera such as a go pro is a much better solution if quality is needed or a £25 webcam from amazon if it's not.

-- hide signature --

Please don't quote long posts, it just fills up the forum with repetitive information. Just replying to the poster or selectively quoting will make it all easier to read.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Nikon D800 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +11 more
OP lovEU Veteran Member • Posts: 3,172

romfordbluenose wrote:

There are various threads on this subject, perhaps not for the D810 though so a search may help.

Searching the forum resp. all forums for "D810 webcam" results into only very few search hits like using an Elgato Cam Link 4Kā€”since this device costs as much as a reasonable dedicated webcam such solution doesn't make much sense to me.

I gave up using my cameras as a webcam some while ago, a dedicated video camera such as a go pro is a much better solution if quality is needed or a £25 webcam from amazon if it's not.

I just want to find out myself if could be a good enough solution for my purposes (a good microphone is available already)

-- hide signature --

regards, eric

rumple
rumple Senior Member • Posts: 1,514

lovEU wrote:

Does anyone has managed to use the D810 as a webcam? And if so how do you proceed?

This gizmo: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B087C3NG9W/ with an appropriate HDMI cable (HDMI-C or mini to full HDMI) will do it.  You setup the camera to provide "clean output".

I was using a D500 that way for some time, and have switched to a gopro (still with the "capture card") just to free up my camera.  It worked fine.

Nikon's software solution was unstable for me.  I also tried sparkocam, worked quite well with occasional sub-second glitches where the feed froze - that could have been my setup too.

-- hide signature --

"THINK" - Watson

rumple wrote:

lovEU wrote:

This gizmo: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B087C3NG9W/ with an appropriate HDMI cable (HDMI-C or mini to full HDMI) will do it. You setup the camera to provide "clean output".

Thank you. This sounds like a minor investment I'll give a try.

Do you use the EP-5B power connector when using the setup for web conferencing? (pg. 442 in the D810 user's manual)

I was using a D500 that way for some time, and have switched to a gopro (still with the "capture card") just to free up my camera. It worked fine.

Nikon's software solution was unstable for me. I also tried sparkocam, worked quite well with occasional sub-second glitches where the feed froze - that could have been my setup too.

Working on a PC I guess the video conferencing software of your choice will recognize the HDMI input easily.

-- hide signature --

regards, eric

rumple
rumple Senior Member • Posts: 1,514

lovEU wrote:

rumple wrote:

lovEU wrote:

This gizmo: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B087C3NG9W/ with an appropriate HDMI cable (HDMI-C or mini to full HDMI) will do it. You setup the camera to provide "clean output".

Thank you. This sounds like a minor investment I'll give a try.

Do you use the EP-5B power connector when using the setup for web conferencing? (pg. 442 in the D810 user's manual)

Yes, attached to a tethertools 'case relay' system.  With the D810, you might be able to use the tethertools version of the dummy battery, check their compatibility list.  Or just use the Nikon system end-to-end - I prefer case relay because of the intermediate battery, but the Nikon powersupply-->dummy battery will work fine.

I was using a D500 that way for some time, and have switched to a gopro (still with the "capture card") just to free up my camera. It worked fine.

Nikon's software solution was unstable for me. I also tried sparkocam, worked quite well with occasional sub-second glitches where the feed froze - that could have been my setup too.

Working on a PC I guess the video conferencing software of your choice will recognize the HDMI input easily.

All of the software solutions use the USB connector on the camera, and convert the proprietary output from the camera to a virtual webcam, which is then seen by video conferencing software.

The 'capture card' solution takes the HDMI and turns it into a webcam usb feed, which again is seen by the video conferencing software.

So the HDMI 'input' is never directly seen by the PC.

-- hide signature --

"THINK" - Watson

KayL Contributing Member • Posts: 543

I’ve been using that cheap Camlink clone with my D810 for Zoom as well. Works wonderfully, and the camera’s built in microphone works too.

As for power: two EN-EL15s with an MB-D12 grip lasts three hours, if not more.

KayL's gear list:KayL's gear list
Kodak DC215

rumple wrote:

Yes, attached to a tethertools 'case relay' system. With the D810, you might be able to use the tethertools version of the dummy battery, check their compatibility list.

Sounds good, makes sense, thanks for sharing.

And yes, they offer a "Relay Camera Coupler" for the D810
(https://www.tethertools.com/product/relay-camera-coupler/)

-- hide signature --

regards, eric

Kelvin L wrote:

I’ve been using that cheap Camlink clone with my D810 for Zoom as well. Works wonderfully, and the camera’s built in microphone works too.

Which Camlink clone do you mean?

As for power: two EN-EL15s with an MB-D12 grip lasts three hours, if not more.

I never bought the grip but if one owns it that's probably the most cheap power supply you can get.

-- hide signature --

regards, eric

KayL Contributing Member • Posts: 543

lovEU wrote:

Kelvin L wrote:

The Amazon one that Rumple linked to. Lots of different sellers for that item. It’s surprisingly good. Apparently the overpriced Atomos capture dongle is the exact same thing with 400% markup.

KayL's gear list:KayL's gear list
Kodak DC215

Kelvin L wrote:

lovEU wrote:

Kelvin L wrote:

The Amazon one that Rumple linked to. Lots of different sellers for that item. It’s surprisingly good. Apparently the overpriced Atomos capture dongle is the exact same thing with 400% markup.

That's exactly what it looks like

-- hide signature --

regards, eric

Droster Senior Member • Posts: 1,076

Kelvin L wrote:

lovEU wrote:

Kelvin L wrote:

One thing you gotta take note with these cheap OEMs there's no heat tolerance built into them so if they overheat, it could fry the card and then break it, either causing it to fail or become wonky.

I'm not saying all of them will overheat and fry the card, but the potential is there. But they're cheap, so they're also pretty disposable.

Droster's gear list:Droster's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +6 more

Droster wrote:

Kelvin L wrote:

lovEU wrote:

Kelvin L wrote:

One thing you gotta take note with these cheap OEMs there's no heat tolerance built into them so if they overheat, it could fry the card and then break it, either causing it to fail or become wonky.

I'm not saying all of them will overheat and fry the card, but the potential is there. But they're cheap, so they're also pretty disposable.

Taking the buyer's ratings into account may hint to the better ones.

-- hide signature --

regards, eric

Good news > D810 supported now

I did what rumple suggested and bought such an HDMI-USB-adapter aka video grabber. Plugged the cam via cable to the PC, adapted few Win-10-settings and 10 min later I had the video signal working in Jitsi. Easy one and thanks again.

Now, having done that I today have discovered that Nikon— surprise! —will support the D810. Nice move, bravo Nikon!

PC: https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/sw/187.html

Mac: https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/sw/186.html

"Added support for the Z 7II, Z 6II, D5, D810, D750, D7200, D5500, D5300, and D3500."

Edit: A bit strange in Case of Mac: "Ended support for the Microsoft Teams app".

On YouTube there can be found a Nikon setup tutorial (but I wouldn't recommend their suggestion conc. focussing):

https://youtu.be/dWMK_l06JHk

-- hide signature --

regards, eric

Controlling the cam during video conferencing?

Now that using a Nikon body for livestreaming even get's more easy via Webcam Utility it would be great being able to control the cam via PC / Mac while doing video conferencing.

(How) does it work?

-- hide signature --

regards, eric

BobT Belgium New Member • Posts: 5
Re: D810 as webcam? Very long delay to start?

I used the beta version of the utility which worked OK on my D850, (and a D800 despite it not being listed as compatible by Nikon). Now that I have changed to Version 1.0.0 I thought that it had stopped working, but then found that it was taking several minutes for the camera to start operating as a webcam when this option was selected from the Zoom settings. This problem is the same on an iMac and a MacBook Pro both running on Mojave. Is this a known problem, and is there a solution?

An updated version of this post has been added as a new thread.

BobT Belgium wrote:

I used the beta version of the utility which worked OK on my D850, (and a D800 despite it not being listed as compatible by Nikon). Now that I have changed to Version 1.0.0 I thought that it had stopped working, but then found that it was taking several minutes for the camera to start operating as a webcam when this option was selected from the Zoom settings. This problem is the same on an iMac and a MacBook Pro both running on Mojave. Is this a known problem, and is there a solution?

An updated version of this post has been added as a new thread.

Sorry, I've no idea what could be the reason for that behaviour. I only noticed that Nikon offers their Windows version as ver. 1.0.1 while it says 1.0.0 for Mac. Maybe 1.0.0 still is kind of a beta version? Or maybe Mojave is too old and missing features needed by the "Webcam Utility (Mac)".

-- hide signature --

regards, eric

The strange thing is that exactly the same configuration worked perfectly well with the beta version 0.9.0 of the software. Nikon. state that macOS High Sierra and later operating systems are required (not yet Big Sur) . High Sierra is the operating system prior to Mojave.

Update - The problem continues - with no change after updating the camera firmware to V1.20 - it was not mentioned as as change, so this was not a surprise.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads